Nancy is with the angels now

Options
13»

Comments

• Radioactive34
    Radioactive34 Member Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    :{
    :{ Hugs ...My thoughts echo those already posted.

R34..Yoli
  • MK_4Dani
    MK_4Dani Member Posts: 314
    Options
    :'(
    That is a sad cry face in the subject line. God bless her family.
    Mary
  • Karen82
    Karen82 Member Posts: 41
    Options
    So Sorry
    I hate this disease, too. I hate it when when someone loses their life due to cancer period, and it does not have to be ovarian. I learn more and more about it everyday day. My mom has been fighting for 2 years. I see what my mom goes through everyday. I am not ready to lose my mom just yet. It is awful what happened to Nancy even though I never knew her. I am sorry for her children's loss. I grew up without a dad cause I lost him when I was only 6 years old. All I have is pictures of him and that is it.
  • LaundryQueen
    LaundryQueen Member Posts: 676
    Options
    Karen82 said:

So Sorry
    I hate this disease, too. I hate it when when someone loses their life due to cancer period, and it does not have to be ovarian. I learn more and more about it everyday day. My mom has been fighting for 2 years. I see what my mom goes through everyday. I am not ready to lose my mom just yet. It is awful what happened to Nancy even though I never knew her. I am sorry for her children's loss. I grew up without a dad cause I lost him when I was only 6 years old. All I have is pictures of him and that is it.

Goodbye sweet Nancy
    I am grateful for all of Nancy's kind words and compassion that she shared here with us that will be remembered as Nancy's spirit now dances with NED forever.

(((HUGS to all))

LQ
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I'M IN SHOCK
    How can this be? This doesn't seem real. It seems like she just posted, and shared with us. My heart is with you Nancy, and your grieving familiy.
    Monika
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    mopar said:

I'M IN SHOCK
    How can this be? This doesn't seem real. It seems like she just posted, and shared with us. My heart is with you Nancy, and your grieving familiy.
    Monika

The terrorist called cancer
    I am so very sad about Nancy591's death because she died so young and was so NOT wanting to go. I looked up Nancy's first posting on September of 2009 & read that she was "terrified" by her diagnosis & recurrance (that was the word she used in the post).

I hope that Nancy was able to put her mind at peace at some times during her day for the last couple of years of her life. I know Nancy was prepared to "be there" for her kids for the future so that may have given her some solace. It really makes me angry that cancer is not only a devastating diagnosis and disease of the body but a terrorist of the mind, too.

Carolen
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    carolenk said:

The terrorist called cancer
    I am so very sad about Nancy591's death because she died so young and was so NOT wanting to go. I looked up Nancy's first posting on September of 2009 & read that she was "terrified" by her diagnosis & recurrance (that was the word she used in the post).

I hope that Nancy was able to put her mind at peace at some times during her day for the last couple of years of her life. I know Nancy was prepared to "be there" for her kids for the future so that may have given her some solace. It really makes me angry that cancer is not only a devastating diagnosis and disease of the body but a terrorist of the mind, too.

Carolen

terrorist... so true
    that's exactly what cancer is.
    (((HUGS))) Maria
  • Cafewoman53
    Cafewoman53 Member Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I did not log on yesterday
    This is expected but terribly distressing news. Each day is so precious, how unfair that her children have to grow up without her ! I hope her family heals as quickly as humanly possible from this loss. I always love my family but I will hold them a little closer today...
    Colleen
  • srwruns
    srwruns Member Posts: 343
    Options

I did not log on yesterday
    This is expected but terribly distressing news. Each day is so precious, how unfair that her children have to grow up without her ! I hope her family heals as quickly as humanly possible from this loss. I always love my family but I will hold them a little closer today...
    Colleen

Nancy's silence on this
    Nancy's silence on this board is deafening. It's a very empty feeling yet, Maria said it best that we have new women/families joining us every day so we need to be strong for them. And if there is anything I ever learned from Nancy it was courage. Whew, did I ever.
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    Some of you have expressed
    Some of you have expressed shock and dismay at Nancy's seemingly quick decline. It wasn't as sudden as it might have seemed.

Nancy told me in early March, when I saw her in NYC, that her CA125 was approaching 10,000 and the Taxol was not working. She was at MSKCC to see if Dr Sabbatini could offer her any options. She said to me, in a very quiet voice - almost a whisper, so her husband didn't hear - "I know I'm dying, but I don't want to give up." I tried to answer her, to give her some reassurance, but as soon as I started to speak, my throat closed up, my voice cracked and I knew I couldn't say anything or I would start crying. It was one of the most poignant moments of my entire life.

I talked to Nancy via text message and phone for the next two months. In early April she told me that she was still reading the board but could not bring herself to post. She was just so discouraged, and very frightened.

Right before I was due in NYC for my May appointment, she sent me a message that she was in MSK's main hospital, and if I could catch the shuttle from the treatment center in Manhattan, she'd love to see me. I knew by then that she was having a lot of pain, that she had been basically unable to eat since Easter, and that the ascites was really bad - not just in her belly, but in her groin and feet/legs, as well. As soon as I saw her, I knew. She looked just like Linda Dorion did in the last weeks of her life. I cried all the way home.

Nancy's team of doctors, including Dr S, recommended that they install a catheter so she could drain the ascites herself (they were taking 3-4 liters a day off her abdomen) and send her home with pain management and palliative care. They told her she had only about 4 weeks to live, but Nancy told them she was absolutely not going to die in 4 weeks, and she made them promise that if she got strong enough, they would start her back on chemo.

I talked to Nancy's sister and her mom about 10 days ago. They said she was determined not to give up, and mentally - spiritually - she never did. Her body just couldn't take any more. I suspect her liver had begun to shut down at that point, because her mom said she was very jaundiced.

I wasn't as surprised as some of you, but that did not make it any easier. I'm sorry I couldn't be more forthcoming in my posts. I kept hoping against hope that Nancy would rally enough to read the message boards. I wanted to believe that she would prove them wrong. I wanted to believe she wasn't dying.

Nancy and I joined this group the same month, Sept of 2009, although she was diagnosed a year earlier and I was a very frightened newbie. We had a very special friendship and I feel privileged to have known her. But I also feel horribly selfish because I know that her family is hurting a million times worse than I am.

I said so many prayers for Nancy - lit so many candles. I'm not speaking to God right now. This is so unfair. He needs to give us something. Anything. A reliable way to detect it early. A vaccine to prevent it. Or a drug that will cure it.

I thought that if any of us could beat it, Nancy would be the one. She was young, healthy, and getting the best of cutting edge treatment. She was an RN, and had always practiced good health habits. If someone like that can't survive, then what chance do the rest of us have?

Thank you all for listening to a crazy lady rant and rave. I had to hold it all together yesterday because I had promised to host a birthday party for one of my granddaughters. Once it was over and everyone left, I kind of feel apart. Fortunately I made her cake on Friday, or Lord only knows what she would have ended up with. I've had a dozen pots of coffee since Saturday morning, no sleep, and no food. Unless you count wine. I forgot about the 3 glasses of wine.

Carlene
  • froggy1
    froggy1 Member Posts: 205
    Options

Some of you have expressed shock and dismay at Nancy's seemingly quick decline. It wasn't as sudden as it might have seemed.

Nancy told me in early March, when I saw her in NYC, that her CA125 was approaching 10,000 and the Taxol was not working. She was at MSKCC to see if Dr Sabbatini could offer her any options. She said to me, in a very quiet voice - almost a whisper, so her husband didn't hear - "I know I'm dying, but I don't want to give up." I tried to answer her, to give her some reassurance, but as soon as I started to speak, my throat closed up, my voice cracked and I knew I couldn't say anything or I would start crying. It was one of the most poignant moments of my entire life.

I talked to Nancy via text message and phone for the next two months. In early April she told me that she was still reading the board but could not bring herself to post. She was just so discouraged, and very frightened.

Right before I was due in NYC for my May appointment, she sent me a message that she was in MSK's main hospital, and if I could catch the shuttle from the treatment center in Manhattan, she'd love to see me. I knew by then that she was having a lot of pain, that she had been basically unable to eat since Easter, and that the ascites was really bad - not just in her belly, but in her groin and feet/legs, as well. As soon as I saw her, I knew. She looked just like Linda Dorion did in the last weeks of her life. I cried all the way home.

Nancy's team of doctors, including Dr S, recommended that they install a catheter so she could drain the ascites herself (they were taking 3-4 liters a day off her abdomen) and send her home with pain management and palliative care. They told her she had only about 4 weeks to live, but Nancy told them she was absolutely not going to die in 4 weeks, and she made them promise that if she got strong enough, they would start her back on chemo.

I talked to Nancy's sister and her mom about 10 days ago. They said she was determined not to give up, and mentally - spiritually - she never did. Her body just couldn't take any more. I suspect her liver had begun to shut down at that point, because her mom said she was very jaundiced.

I wasn't as surprised as some of you, but that did not make it any easier. I'm sorry I couldn't be more forthcoming in my posts. I kept hoping against hope that Nancy would rally enough to read the message boards. I wanted to believe that she would prove them wrong. I wanted to believe she wasn't dying.

Nancy and I joined this group the same month, Sept of 2009, although she was diagnosed a year earlier and I was a very frightened newbie. We had a very special friendship and I feel privileged to have known her. But I also feel horribly selfish because I know that her family is hurting a million times worse than I am.

I said so many prayers for Nancy - lit so many candles. I'm not speaking to God right now. This is so unfair. He needs to give us something. Anything. A reliable way to detect it early. A vaccine to prevent it. Or a drug that will cure it.

I thought that if any of us could beat it, Nancy would be the one. She was young, healthy, and getting the best of cutting edge treatment. She was an RN, and had always practiced good health habits. If someone like that can't survive, then what chance do the rest of us have?

Thank you all for listening to a crazy lady rant and rave. I had to hold it all together yesterday because I had promised to host a birthday party for one of my granddaughters. Once it was over and everyone left, I kind of feel apart. Fortunately I made her cake on Friday, or Lord only knows what she would have ended up with. I've had a dozen pots of coffee since Saturday morning, no sleep, and no food. Unless you count wine. I forgot about the 3 glasses of wine.

Carlene

Thank you Carlene
    Thank you for your poignant post. It must have been hard for you not to share what you knew. Your comments ring so true. Nancy had cutting edge treatment, was smart and healthy, and couldn't make it. It does get hard to maintain hope, although we must.
    I think I must have been diagnosed about the same time as Nancy, but not stage 4. I almost feel guilty still being here.
    I think we all have that darling picture of she and her children stuck in our brains and it makes it so much more difficult, not that any life is worth more than another.
    I only hope, Carlene, that you continue to stay NED forever. We need some sunshine around here!
    Take care, Ginny
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

Carlene

My MOM
    As many of you now know, my mother is no longer with us. As hard as it is for me to take the time to right this, but I know it's what she would have wanted. She would want everyone to know that she did not die in pain, and that she never once gave up. She left no stone unturned, in reguards of treatments to take. She tried her hardest to stay with us as long as possible, and took the time that she did have here to prepare us all for the long dark road ahead. She took out time to make DVD's, write letters, and cards, just incase she didn't make it past this. With my mother it was always, she was going to take the cancer or the cancer was gonna take her. And she did go down fighting. I am deeply saddened for my brothers and the life that they now have to life without her, without her guidance, without her support. I am greatful for the life that I was given, and my precious time with her, 24 years just wasnt long enough. The only upside is, that she is no longer sick, she no longer has to live with this disease. My heart goes out to all of you women, and I sincerely hope that none of you, or your families ever have to go through this. This is the hardest thing that I have ever had to do in my whole entire life, I don't see how this is going get any easier, though I am often reminded that in time it will. The only advice I can give to any of you, is not to take even one second for granted, make the most out of every minute. And lastly (for this post anyway, I'm sure you'll hear from me again) I thank you for your support, my mother often felt comfort from each and every one of you. My condolences also go out to every one of you, from reading posts I understand how important she was to you as well, I saddened for your loss as well. Take care everyone and I hope you can find some comfort in this.
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    nancy591 said:

My MOM
    As many of you now know, my mother is no longer with us. As hard as it is for me to take the time to right this, but I know it's what she would have wanted. She would want everyone to know that she did not die in pain, and that she never once gave up. She left no stone unturned, in reguards of treatments to take. She tried her hardest to stay with us as long as possible, and took the time that she did have here to prepare us all for the long dark road ahead. She took out time to make DVD's, write letters, and cards, just incase she didn't make it past this. With my mother it was always, she was going to take the cancer or the cancer was gonna take her. And she did go down fighting. I am deeply saddened for my brothers and the life that they now have to life without her, without her guidance, without her support. I am greatful for the life that I was given, and my precious time with her, 24 years just wasnt long enough. The only upside is, that she is no longer sick, she no longer has to live with this disease. My heart goes out to all of you women, and I sincerely hope that none of you, or your families ever have to go through this. This is the hardest thing that I have ever had to do in my whole entire life, I don't see how this is going get any easier, though I am often reminded that in time it will. The only advice I can give to any of you, is not to take even one second for granted, make the most out of every minute. And lastly (for this post anyway, I'm sure you'll hear from me again) I thank you for your support, my mother often felt comfort from each and every one of you. My condolences also go out to every one of you, from reading posts I understand how important she was to you as well, I saddened for your loss as well. Take care everyone and I hope you can find some comfort in this.

Arrangments
    For anyone who was wondering, my mothers arrangment are as follows:
    Ramsay's Funeral Home
    275 S. Main St.
    Liberty, NY 12754
    Monday June 6 from 2-4 and 7-9
    ......Mass At:
    St. Peter's
    264 N. Main St
    Liberty, NY
    Tuesday June 7 11:45am
  • Tina Brown
    Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    nancy591 said:

Arrangments
    For anyone who was wondering, my mothers arrangment are as follows:
    Ramsay's Funeral Home
    275 S. Main St.
    Liberty, NY 12754
    Monday June 6 from 2-4 and 7-9
    ......Mass At:
    St. Peter's
    264 N. Main St
    Liberty, NY
    Tuesday June 7 11:45am

Dear Cheryl
    I am so sorry to hear of your mum's passing. I never met her but I read her posts. My condolences to you and your family at this sad time. Cancer is such an aweful disease and strikes without warning.
    Tina x
  • anicca
    anicca Member Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    All I can do is cry and
    All I can do is cry and curse. I've been away for the past two weeks (still am) and only checked in here today, never expecting such awful news. Thank you, Carlene, and Nancy's daughter, for your sensitive and loving care in informing us.
  • kikz
    kikz Member Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    anicca said:

All I can do is cry and
    All I can do is cry and curse. I've been away for the past two weeks (still am) and only checked in here today, never expecting such awful news. Thank you, Carlene, and Nancy's daughter, for your sensitive and loving care in informing us.

It is so painful to keep coming back to this board
    but I will because I receive so much. I am now part of this sisterhood for the rest of my life. I share all of your feelings. Be it sadness, joy, apprehension, hope, fear, love or any of the countless emotions that we experience along this journey. I do not want this disease anymore. I want to wake up to my old life but of course I can't. I read that we are a small group by comparison for example to our pink sisters. Maybe I am biased but I feel there is a disproportionate amount of beautiful women in our club. When I use the word beautiful; I mean in every way. I cried while reading Carlene's and Cheryl's posts. Nancy is a perfect example of what I am awkwardly trying to express. A sweet loving woman who just wanted to be with her family and live life. Damn this monster for denying her such a simple request.

Karen
  • curlyq1971
    curlyq1971 Member Posts: 56
    Options
    kikz said:

It is so painful to keep coming back to this board
    but I will because I receive so much. I am now part of this sisterhood for the rest of my life. I share all of your feelings. Be it sadness, joy, apprehension, hope, fear, love or any of the countless emotions that we experience along this journey. I do not want this disease anymore. I want to wake up to my old life but of course I can't. I read that we are a small group by comparison for example to our pink sisters. Maybe I am biased but I feel there is a disproportionate amount of beautiful women in our club. When I use the word beautiful; I mean in every way. I cried while reading Carlene's and Cheryl's posts. Nancy is a perfect example of what I am awkwardly trying to express. A sweet loving woman who just wanted to be with her family and live life. Damn this monster for denying her such a simple request.

Karen

I am deeply saddenned....
    to hear of Nancy's passing. My heart and prayers go out to her loved ones during this extremely difficult time. I didn't have the pleasure to meet Nancy in person, but I did have the pleasure of exchanging words of encouragement on this board with her, she was such a beautiful person both inside and out, and had such courage and dignity, she will be greatly missed.

Leslie
  • rockchicksurvivor
    rockchicksurvivor Member Posts: 45
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Nancy
    RIP Nancy... I cried and it is very sad...
  • nicolegarza
    nicolegarza Member Posts: 27
    Options
    nancy591 said:

My MOM

the world has lost an
    the world has lost an awesome warrior!! My heart goes out to you and your family! My deepest condolences! I read many of her posts as well she will be missed!!!