Join us Walking, Swimming, Cycling, Weights, Paddling, Jogging and get SURVIVAL BOOST

pete43lost_at_sea
pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
edited May 2011 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Join us Walking, Swimming, Cycling, Weights, Paddling, Jogging and get SURVIVAL BOOST

This post started out as walking, but we are an open minded bunch and now we have 4 exercise types listed in the title. Just move if you can.

We also have the unique 100,000km 30 year clinical trial being run here. will anyone make this target, dare is say even earlier than 30 years. It would be just so amazing. Obviously we will all have to live that long to get an invite to the party.

In Sydney Australia, sylvania to sutherland. Bottle and all.
This is the walking post. I am walking to the naturopath right now.
I feel fine, with energy just bad diarrhea. Its good having a bag, I don't have to find a tree anymore. haha

If you have some energy and are well come for a walk with me today. A walk around the world if you will for 10 minutes to 5 hours whatever you can manage. going to do this everyday.

I used to hear " an apple a day keeps the doctor away "

Now I say to myself " a walk a day keeps the monster away"

search on exercise colorectal and recurrance, for details.

come on couch potatoes up and addem and move.

love to all,

Pete

ps I am out the door right now.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/prevention/physicalactivity
1. What is the relationship between physical activity and colon cancer risk?
Colorectal cancer has been one of the most extensively studied cancers in relation to physical activity, with more than 50 studies examining this association. Many studies in the United States and around the world have consistently found that adults who increase their physical activity, either in intensity, duration, or frequency, can reduce their risk of developing colon cancer by 30 to 40 percent relative to those who are sedentary regardless of body mass index (BMI), with the greatest risk reduction seen among those who are most active (3–7). The magnitude of the protective effect appears greatest with high-intensity activity, although the optimal levels and duration of exercise are still difficult to determine due to differences between studies, making comparisons difficult. It is estimated that 30 to 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity per day is needed to protect against colon cancer (6, 7). It is not yet clear at this time whether physical activity has a protective effect for rectal cancer, adenomas, or polyp recurrence (3).
Physical activity most likely influences the development of colon cancer in multiple ways. Physical activity may protect against colon cancer and tumor development through its role in energy balance, hormone metabolism, insulin regulation, and by decreasing the time the colon is exposed to potential carcinogens. Physical activity has also been found to alter a number of inflammatory and immune factors, some of which may influence colon cancer risk.

Comments

• LindaJS
    LindaJS Member Posts: 20 Member
    We are in
    Cant match Sylvania to Sutherland - but can do Como to South Perth.

Hoping a good walk post disconnect will help ward off the nausea & fatigue.
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    beside you
    Love this idea! I can't walk (any great distance) right now - due to "Xeloda feet". I have taken up rowing (machine) instead -- enjoying it! So how about I row alongside you (in that imaginary river), partner?!?!
  • soccermom13
    soccermom13 Member Posts: 224
    I love to walk!
    Thanks for the invitation! It is great to have company as I head out the door here in Colorado. The sun is shining, the temps are going to be in the mid 70's, the squirrels and birds are busy - it is a great day!
    Hugs to you
    Shanna
  • plh4gail
    plh4gail Member Posts: 1,238 Member
    I will be walking today
    I will be walking today :)

Gail
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    plh4gail said:

I will be walking today
    I will be walking today :)

Gail

Ok I'm walking right now
    just behind you!, let's go to see how many joint us !
    May be this finishes like Forrest Gump, walking around the World all together!
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pepebcn said:

Ok I'm walking right now
    just behind you!, let's go to see how many joint us !
    May be this finishes like Forrest Gump, walking around the World all together!

rise and shine colorectal world, its walkies time
    thanks everyone for joining in. I am glad I am not doing this alone.

I don't plan to miss a morning, failure is a distinct possibility but it want occur through lack of effort. I am NED not dead and plan to stay this way.

If you have any doubts about walking then see your doctor. You need to have energy and vitality in your soul to tackle hills, but dam they make a difference, and big hills, not pissy little mole hills. I felt great after about 2 x 1 hour walks but crashed big time in the arvo. first time I ever needed wife to drive me in to get chemo bottle off. I am on the scales at 113kg, started at 100kg in october.

Its 6.22am , its dark and I am crying, you all know why. good morning john.
    But our lives and our challenges go on, this planet does not spinning for anyone of us.

If you believe the science and the advice an hours walk a day keeps the monster at bay.
    I have asked my favourite researcher for a second opinion about this as well.

join me,

love to all,

pete
  • Buckwirth
    Buckwirth Member Posts: 1,258 Member

rise and shine colorectal world, its walkies time
    thanks everyone for joining in. I am glad I am not doing this alone.

I don't plan to miss a morning, failure is a distinct possibility but it want occur through lack of effort. I am NED not dead and plan to stay this way.

If you have any doubts about walking then see your doctor. You need to have energy and vitality in your soul to tackle hills, but dam they make a difference, and big hills, not pissy little mole hills. I felt great after about 2 x 1 hour walks but crashed big time in the arvo. first time I ever needed wife to drive me in to get chemo bottle off. I am on the scales at 113kg, started at 100kg in october.

Its 6.22am , its dark and I am crying, you all know why. good morning john.
    But our lives and our challenges go on, this planet does not spinning for anyone of us.

If you believe the science and the advice an hours walk a day keeps the monster at bay.
    I have asked my favourite researcher for a second opinion about this as well.

join me,

love to all,

pete

Three good studies
    The science seems to show great benefit for post-op Stage 1-3 breast & colorectal cancer patients (links lead to full articles):

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/prevention/physicalactivity#r12

Two additional studies have suggested a protective association of physical activity after colon cancer diagnosis and survival. Researchers examined the relationship between levels of physical activity both before and after a diagnosis of colon cancer in two different observational studies. Whereas levels of pre-diagnosis physical activity were not related to survival, participants with higher levels of physical activity post-diagnosis were less likely to have a cancer recurrence and had increased survival (12). Although these studies suggest protective effects of physical activity, more research is needed to understand what levels of physical activity provide these benefits.

http://jco.ascopubs.org/content/24/22/3517.full

The results of this clinical study corroborate the epidemiologic findings of Holmes et al1 and Meyerhardt et al2 reviewed in the preceding paragraphs and suggest reduced relative risks that approximate 50% to 60% for both recurrence and overall mortality among those who reported higher levels of physical activity, as compared with those who were sedentary.3 Again, it should be noted that although all three studies employed a designated referent of less than 3 MET-hours per week to define those with sedentary lifestyles, significant benefits for breast cancer survivors were observed at 9+ MET-hours per week, whereas for colorectal and colon cancer patients, physical activity of at least 18 MET-hours per week was needed before significant benefits were observed. It is unknown whether this difference relates to issues inherent in study sample, power, or design, or whether different physical activity thresholds exist for different cancers. Indeed, this is an area that requires additional research. It is of particular interest that in the study of breast cancer by Holmes et al,1 the greatest benefits of physical activity were observed among women with stage III breast cancer (for 9+ MET-hours per week of physical activity, relative risk = 0.36; 95% CI, 0.19 to 0.71). Thus, in taking all three of studies together,1-3 we see a protective association with increased physical activity after diagnosis and firm, cancer-specific outcomes—findings that suggest favorable effects across the spectrum of cancer, from early-stage cancer to later stage disease.
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    Buckwirth said:

Three good studies
    The science seems to show great benefit for post-op Stage 1-3 breast & colorectal cancer patients (links lead to full articles):

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/prevention/physicalactivity#r12

Two additional studies have suggested a protective association of physical activity after colon cancer diagnosis and survival. Researchers examined the relationship between levels of physical activity both before and after a diagnosis of colon cancer in two different observational studies. Whereas levels of pre-diagnosis physical activity were not related to survival, participants with higher levels of physical activity post-diagnosis were less likely to have a cancer recurrence and had increased survival (12). Although these studies suggest protective effects of physical activity, more research is needed to understand what levels of physical activity provide these benefits.

http://jco.ascopubs.org/content/24/22/3517.full

The results of this clinical study corroborate the epidemiologic findings of Holmes et al1 and Meyerhardt et al2 reviewed in the preceding paragraphs and suggest reduced relative risks that approximate 50% to 60% for both recurrence and overall mortality among those who reported higher levels of physical activity, as compared with those who were sedentary.3 Again, it should be noted that although all three studies employed a designated referent of less than 3 MET-hours per week to define those with sedentary lifestyles, significant benefits for breast cancer survivors were observed at 9+ MET-hours per week, whereas for colorectal and colon cancer patients, physical activity of at least 18 MET-hours per week was needed before significant benefits were observed. It is unknown whether this difference relates to issues inherent in study sample, power, or design, or whether different physical activity thresholds exist for different cancers. Indeed, this is an area that requires additional research. It is of particular interest that in the study of breast cancer by Holmes et al,1 the greatest benefits of physical activity were observed among women with stage III breast cancer (for 9+ MET-hours per week of physical activity, relative risk = 0.36; 95% CI, 0.19 to 0.71). Thus, in taking all three of studies together,1-3 we see a protective association with increased physical activity after diagnosis and firm, cancer-specific outcomes—findings that suggest favorable effects across the spectrum of cancer, from early-stage cancer to later stage disease.

feeling stuffed after walking, off to the bath to read
    Its strange start the walks in good spirits and with energy. after 90 minutes with a few stops I am feeling pretty weak. Its been two lovelly mornings, don't regret these.

thanks blake for the research. I have had only heard of one onc out of 4 advise a colorectal patient to walk as per studies. The whole "after care" need is enormous and lacking here.

My wonderful community has spent a huge amount of money to keep me alive, but they won't push the exercise or diet bandwagon. it just does not add up. that why I believe we need support groups.

will anyone , around the world join me for at least a 10 minute stroll to beat the beast ?

Pete
  • mukamom
    mukamom Member Posts: 402

feeling stuffed after walking, off to the bath to read
    Its strange start the walks in good spirits and with energy. after 90 minutes with a few stops I am feeling pretty weak. Its been two lovelly mornings, don't regret these.

thanks blake for the research. I have had only heard of one onc out of 4 advise a colorectal patient to walk as per studies. The whole "after care" need is enormous and lacking here.

My wonderful community has spent a huge amount of money to keep me alive, but they won't push the exercise or diet bandwagon. it just does not add up. that why I believe we need support groups.

will anyone , around the world join me for at least a 10 minute stroll to beat the beast ?

Pete

Even though
    it is my husband who has cancer, I will join you for Robert and I think this is a wonderful idea.
    For over 2 years we have kept the beast at bay and thanks to folks like you and the others on this forum, we have gained so much.

Onward........

Angela
  • pepebcn
    mukamom said:

Even though
    it is my husband who has cancer, I will join you for Robert and I think this is a wonderful idea.
    For over 2 years we have kept the beast at bay and thanks to folks like you and the others on this forum, we have gained so much.

Onward........

Angela

Man! I'm still walking since this morning
    I think I'm arriving to Australia ! may you send me your address please?
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pepebcn said:

Man! I'm still walking since this morning
    I think I'm arriving to Australia ! may you send me your address please?

awesome pepe , come to 5 holts point place, sylvania
    this is an actual address, all cheques gratefully received.
    i am having another afternoon nap.
    pete
    ps we will be the fittest board on csn
  • sheri22
    sheri22 Member Posts: 273
    Iam in
    I will be taking the walk with my boxer tommorrow and every nice day

Sheri22
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    sheri22 said:

Iam in
    I will be taking the walk with my boxer tommorrow and every nice day

Sheri22

third day in a row, next the olympics
    off i go, got the dogs as well, not the best today but on balance I want to walk.

anyone coming ?

don't forget 53% odds, now you cannot beat those.

hugs to all,

pete
  • pepebcn

third day in a row, next the olympics
    off i go, got the dogs as well, not the best today but on balance I want to walk.

anyone coming ?

don't forget 53% odds, now you cannot beat those.

hugs to all,

pete

Now reediting is very late here!
    but tomorrow I will join you again ,despite we got a big problem with our time table! hahahahahaha!
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    pepebcn said:

Now reediting is very late here!
    but tomorrow I will join you again ,despite we got a big problem with our time table! hahahahahaha!

keep walking (on water?)
    Pepe -- since it seems you can walk on water (!), don't stop at Australia -- walk on up to Hong Kong afterwards!

Tara
  • pepebcn
    taraHK said:

keep walking (on water?)
    Pepe -- since it seems you can walk on water (!), don't stop at Australia -- walk on up to Hong Kong afterwards!

Tara

Hahahaha!
    That's much easier than Australia! I'm on that!
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pepebcn said:

Hahahaha!
    That's much easier than Australia! I'm on that!

4th morning in a row
    Its cold , dark and raining, but here goes.
    Any one going to walk today. I'll stop this post after a year.
    Pete
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Like it!
    If this were Facebook, I would have just clicked on the "like" button :)
    Yes, walking is good and healthy. I am fortunate to have a very lovely area near a creek to walk by (except soon the rattlers will be out, then I avoid the creek!)
    I'm walking (driving, actually :) to the naturopath again in 2 more weeks.

Here's to good things this week...!

Lisa
  • pepebcn
    lisa42 said:

Like it!
    If this were Facebook, I would have just clicked on the "like" button :)
    Yes, walking is good and healthy. I am fortunate to have a very lovely area near a creek to walk by (except soon the rattlers will be out, then I avoid the creek!)
    I'm walking (driving, actually :) to the naturopath again in 2 more weeks.

Here's to good things this week...!

Lisa

Fourth day too!
    Now resting a little bit ! Tomorrow I'll continue towards east now I'm aprox in Turkey tomorrow spect to cross border with Armenia , keep informed ! hugs!
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pepebcn said:

Fourth day too!
    Now resting a little bit ! Tomorrow I'll continue towards east now I'm aprox in Turkey tomorrow spect to cross border with Armenia , keep informed ! hugs!

thanks my adventurous friend
    awesome turkey, your amazing. thanks for keeping me company.

got an AM and PM walk in today with my very overweight diving friend Dave. His Dad and my kids joined us this evenings walk. He had bowel cancer 20 years ago, was found early. He told me of his reconnection dramas and his surgeon.

Never heard this before from my friends very wise old surgeon "if you have an active polyps and exercise they secret a chemical that triggers diarrhea" now this should be
    a warning in all gyms and fitness places. Before I go pushing this has anyone else heard of anything like this.

pepe see what you can learn when you go walking. it was breezy and refeshing by this really wild surf beach, the kids loved it, so did i. the kids and I had mexican diner which we all loved.

I still dream of getting some of our other US friends into joining us.

hugs also