124»

Comments

• mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    helen e said:

The Sound of Music
    It's a classic

You guys have reminded of so many great movies!
    My all time favorite has to be "The Remains of the Day" with Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson.

Among those mentioned, I adore "The Sound of Music" (Traci, YES to a young Chrisotpher Plummer), "Silence of the Lambs" (still love the way Jodie Foster would say "Dr. Lecter!"); "All About Eve" (amazing performances all around); "Rear Window" (made me a life-long Grace Kelly fan); "Rope" (another Alfred Hitchcock film). I also recently saw "All Quiet on the Western Front," which I thought was an amazing portrait of war.

Currently, I am watching the 1945 French movie, "Children of Paradise." Love this thread!

Mimi
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    mimivac said:

My all time favorite has to be "The Remains of the Day" with Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson.

Among those mentioned, I adore "The Sound of Music" (Traci, YES to a young Chrisotpher Plummer), "Silence of the Lambs" (still love the way Jodie Foster would say "Dr. Lecter!"); "All About Eve" (amazing performances all around); "Rear Window" (made me a life-long Grace Kelly fan); "Rope" (another Alfred Hitchcock film). I also recently saw "All Quiet on the Western Front," which I thought was an amazing portrait of war.

Currently, I am watching the 1945 French movie, "Children of Paradise." Love this thread!

Mimi

Oh Mimi, I just love "The
    Oh Mimi, I just love "The Remains of the Day". Danny scowls and growls and works on his rc airplanes when it comes on. Oh and "Howard's End" and "A Room with a View" are terrific too. "Gaslight" is on tonight on TCM--isn't that a doozy?! Danny always accuses me of gaslighting him when I accuse him of being forgetful ;-).

If you love "The Remains of the Day", you would also love the recent PBS series, "Downton Abbey". It was a sort of Upstairs/Downstirs soap-opera saga--just delicious! I can't wait until Season 2.
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options

Oh Mimi, I just love "The Remains of the Day". Danny scowls and growls and works on his rc airplanes when it comes on. Oh and "Howard's End" and "A Room with a View" are terrific too. "Gaslight" is on tonight on TCM--isn't that a doozy?! Danny always accuses me of gaslighting him when I accuse him of being forgetful ;-).

If you love "The Remains of the Day", you would also love the recent PBS series, "Downton Abbey". It was a sort of Upstairs/Downstirs soap-opera saga--just delicious! I can't wait until Season 2.

Mimi and Cynthia,
    Those are

Mimi and Cynthia,
    Those are all such good movies. And Gaslight, I totally forgot to mention. I love that movie. I used that expression with a friend about being gaslighted and she had no idea what I meant so I told her to rent that movie. She called and loved it and then used that expression whenever she would forget anything. thanks for mentioning them. I am going to buy Gaslight the next time I am out.
    Stef
  • Reikigemgirl
    Reikigemgirl Member Posts: 278
    Options
    The Notebook and....
    Fried Green Tomatoes
    The Cider House Rules.

Love these three, along with many others.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    aysemari said:

I have many but my
    top two and this order are;

1-Fried green tomatoes
    2-Shawshank redemption

Hugs,
    Ayse

River Runs Through It is
    River Runs Through It is very, very good! We just watched Fatal Attraction again with Michael Douglas and that is sooooooooooo scary. lol

Sue :)
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    fauxma said:

Mimi and Cynthia,
    Those are

Mimi and Cynthia,
    Those are all such good movies. And Gaslight, I totally forgot to mention. I love that movie. I used that expression with a friend about being gaslighted and she had no idea what I meant so I told her to rent that movie. She called and loved it and then used that expression whenever she would forget anything. thanks for mentioning them. I am going to buy Gaslight the next time I am out.
    Stef

I use the term 'gaslight' alot
    Guess how old I am?!!! I love so many of the movies listed and I could keep adding to the list - the Doris Day/Rock Hudson, Doris & James Garner. Or Trapeze and The Vikings, Gypsy - saw most of these at the Drive-ins in my pj's - I was supposed to be asleep. But I couldn't sleep - I loved the movies too much!

Sue
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    mimivac said:

Mimi

City Slickers was on tv the
    City Slickers was on tv the other night. That show is still so funny. Loved the way Jack Palance acted. LOL
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    I love so many of the movies
    I love so many of the movies already mentioned, especially Wizard of Oz and Shawshank Redemption. I'm never good at picking favorites, so I'll just mention a few goodies that haven't been dusted off and put on display:

Beauty and the Beast (Cocteau) I saw it first on WGN TV when I was a teenager and fell in love with it.

Old Busbie Berkely movies...Gold Diggers of 1933

Children of Paradise

King of Hearts

Midnight Cowboy

The Bicycle Thief

I'll stop now. These are some of my favorite wide awake dreams. xoxoxo Lynn
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

The Color Purple
    Even though parts of it are difficult to watch, I love the ending and the theme of redemption. I cry like a baby every time.

I also love Gone With The Wind. I loved the book and Clark Gable was my first movie star crush.

Love the Color Purple too
    Love the Color Purple too Cindy, and, I also cry when I watch it.

Sue :)
  • Findingout
    Findingout Member Posts: 132
    Options
    Love, Actually. (that's
    Love, Actually. (that's the title)
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

The Remains of the Day is
    The Remains of the Day is wonderful!

Jan
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options

The Notebook and....
    Fried Green Tomatoes
    The Cider House Rules.

Love these three, along with many others.

Oh my gosh... I had forgotten about the Notebook, i LOVED
    that movie. And I read cider house rules, great book. Maybe
    it's time I watch the movie (;

Hugs,
    Ayse
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    cookie97 said:

Gone with the Wind!!
    Hands down my favorite, I read the book 3 times before seeing the movie. Now my favorite Broadway show is "Wicked"

Watched Silence of the Lambs
    Watched Silence of the Lambs last night! Creepy show, but, very good!