Missing Lesley very much

Options
marines911
marines911 Member Posts: 68
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
It has been over 2 weeks and it still does not feel like my wife has died. I still feel like she is going to walk through that door and give us all a great big hug and kiss. I have been rearranging the house and getting rid of my sons broken and old toys that Lesley would never let me get rid of, because she knew every occasion for every toy that was purchased or gifted on every occasion. My kids are unbelievably strong, like thier mommy, and are getting back into the swing of things. This week I gave my mother-in-law off in order to rest and to regenerate, because I need her ready to go once I return to work in about 30 days or so. I'm just so lonely and just want to hold and kiss my wife again.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Thomas

Comments

• Help4Sis
    Help4Sis Member Posts: 53
    Options
    THomas, I have no words of
    THomas, I have no words of wisdom as I have never experienced the loss you're feeling... I have to wonder, as an adult, how my mother coped with losing my father when she was 39 years old and had 4 children under the age of 12 to raise. I guess we were 4 big reasons for her to keep going. I only wish I knew my parents when they were young and happy.

Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Dear Thomas,
    I wish I had words that could ease your pain, I truly believe that Lesley, is with you and always will be. Talk to her. I have not gone through this myself. I can only imagine how much it must hurt. My heart goes out to you Thomas, You will remain in my thoughts and prayers always. I have learned so much from you and your beautiful Lesley. The love you had for each other is truly inspirational. Hugs Kay
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Thomas, there are no words
    Thomas, there are no words that I can say that will erase your pain. My husband died when he was 39 years old and left our 28 month old daughter and me behind. My daughter is what kept me going. I did find comfort in my memories with him. I remember all to well the day I promised if I could just see him and hold him one more time I would tell no one. Kind of like making a pact. Of course, this never happened. The void left behind is so intense in the beginning days; it actually feels like your heart is broken in two, I remember. Take time for you to rest and re-group. You have your beautiful children there that will be a godsend as the days go on. Remember your beautiful Lesley and the good memories you two created. Just look into the eyes of your children and I bet you see her there. The pain you are feeling will subside as time goes on but it's not an easy road to navigate. Just go at your own pace and in such a way as is comfortable to you. If I can help in anyway just say the word. Take care of yourself and I am sending (((hugs))) to you and your children.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss.
    I am so sorry for your loss. I haven't lost a spouse, so I don't know how it feels, but at a grief seminar that I attended, one speaker pointed out that, when a caregiver loses their patient (loved one), there is a huge void. The caregiver's life has been so focused on the patient that it is very, very hard when that focus is gone. Often, the days before a death, there is a frenzy of activity, and then, a week or two after the death, there is none.

Focus now on creating new traditions for you and your children. Be creative in changing holidays so that you honor Lesley, but you also forge ahead. This is what Lesley wants (I know because I'm a mom). Your children seem more resilient right now because they are busy, but, don't forget, you are the most important person in their lives now.

Your grief is very normal. Time will lessen the hurt but it will never erase your memories of Lesley. Consider seeing a counselor, not just for yourself, but so you can stay strong for your family.

You and your family are in my daily thoughts and prayers.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I'm wrapping my arms around you, sweet soul....
    It is an experience familiar to me...after my daughter died, I still expected for the phone to ring, and to hear "Mom!" like she always said...

But, (in my typical spin doctor style), I look at it as a way of remembering her...she remains real to me thru my memories. I just counted the number of goodbye's I have had to say in the last 5 years: My daughter, my ex-hubby, my father-in-law, my mother-in-law, as well as many friends....

My heart is full with all of them.

Give yourself some time...this is a process that goes in a circle. We stay in the circle, going thru the different emotions, until the pain lessens. This is normal, and very healthy. When we finally emerge from the circle, we can remember with fondness those that have gone on, without feeling the sharp pain of loss.

As Cynthia said, I attended a grief seminar that was a big help after one of my patient partners went on ahead...

BIG hugs, Kathi
  • Tinabug
    Tinabug Member Posts: 158
    Options
    Truly sorry
    Thomas, my heart breaks for you & your family. I haven't ever lost a spouse, but I did lose my mom over 20 years ago & I just lost my dad in August. Like you, I still expect to see my dad & it doesn't seem real. After my mom's death, I found that writing letters to her was a tremendous help in dealing with my grief. I pray that you can find some peace.

Hugs,
    Tina
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Tinabug said:

Truly sorry
    Thomas, my heart breaks for you & your family. I haven't ever lost a spouse, but I did lose my mom over 20 years ago & I just lost my dad in August. Like you, I still expect to see my dad & it doesn't seem real. After my mom's death, I found that writing letters to her was a tremendous help in dealing with my grief. I pray that you can find some peace.

Hugs,
    Tina

Look for signs....
    I still think my dad is going to be there on holidays and it has been more than 10 years. In the beginning, the pain was unbearable at times. The grief would come in waves and I would suddenly be crying. I believe he is still with me and I often see signs that his love is all around me. Six months after his death, I went through some financial difficulty and called the bank to tell them that I would be late on my car payment. The loan officer said, "Don't worry about it. Your dad dropped off an extra payment over a year ago because he wanted to be sure that you didn't fall behind if I had money issues." He knew I was a single mom and was always worried about my finances. Isn't that a great story? I know she's with you even when you can't see her. I'm sure you still feel her love. Please try to find a bereavement support group. My sister lost her husband suddenly and we were all worried that she would die from the grief. Instead she joined a support group and has been doing fine. She still misses him terribly but she has some new friends who know exactly how she feels. I bet the American Cancer Society has bereavement services. You matter so please take good care of yourself.

Roseann
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Options
    Thomas,
    I wish I had words to say that would make this even a little more bearable. You've been so strong for her and for your kids. I'm glad your mother-in-law is there to be a help for you. Reading your posts has been an inspiration for so many of us. Thank you for coming back here and sharing/venting with us. Even though we feel so helpless right now for you, please come back anytime. We're here for you.

marge
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    Tinabug said:

Truly sorry

Hugs,
    Tina

Sending hugs and prayers for
    Sending hugs and prayers for you and your family.

Hugs, Debby
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Presences
    Thomas,

Though you can not physically feel Lesley, she is beside you helping you along. My mother and father-in-law visit us frequently through our thoughts and talking about all the good times we had with them. Little things like a hamburger patty brings my father-in-law in for dinner. My mother saved my life though she had been gone for several years. I guess it is how deeply one believes there are frequent visits from loved onces.

Thank you for sharing your grief and life changes.

Kathryn (Semper Fi)
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options

I am so sorry for your loss.
    I am so sorry for your loss. I haven't lost a spouse, so I don't know how it feels, but at a grief seminar that I attended, one speaker pointed out that, when a caregiver loses their patient (loved one), there is a huge void. The caregiver's life has been so focused on the patient that it is very, very hard when that focus is gone. Often, the days before a death, there is a frenzy of activity, and then, a week or two after the death, there is none.

Focus now on creating new traditions for you and your children. Be creative in changing holidays so that you honor Lesley, but you also forge ahead. This is what Lesley wants (I know because I'm a mom). Your children seem more resilient right now because they are busy, but, don't forget, you are the most important person in their lives now.

Your grief is very normal. Time will lessen the hurt but it will never erase your memories of Lesley. Consider seeing a counselor, not just for yourself, but so you can stay strong for your family.

You and your family are in my daily thoughts and prayers.

P.S.
    Here is a link on coping with grief that might be helpful:

Coping with Grief and Loss
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options

Presences
    Thomas,

Though you can not physically feel Lesley, she is beside you helping you along. My mother and father-in-law visit us frequently through our thoughts and talking about all the good times we had with them. Little things like a hamburger patty brings my father-in-law in for dinner. My mother saved my life though she had been gone for several years. I guess it is how deeply one believes there are frequent visits from loved onces.

Thank you for sharing your grief and life changes.

Kathryn (Semper Fi)

Dear Thomas, I admire how
    Dear Thomas,
    I admire how strong and loving you've been through this awful time and I know you'll find the strength and comfort of Lesley every time you close your eyes and think of her. For me, losing a loved one, doesn't get easier, we just learn, in time, to bear the pain and go on.
    I know that you're children bring you great love from reading your posts and also Lesley's memorial page so hold them tight and just remember that she is always with you.
    Thank you for sharing and coming back on. We are all here for you.
    All my best,
    Wanda
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    HUGS
    Oh Thomas I am sure Lesley is nearby, you two shared not only a great love but also a great faith. I have lost my mom and sister to cancer and I know with all my being that at times since they have been close at hand. Your children sound so strong and supportive I am sure you are quite proud of them. All I can tell you is that with time it will get easier as I have watched my father heal over the years. We are here for you when you need us Thomas, I just wish there was more I could do to help you heal. You and your loved ones continue to be in my daily prayers.

re
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    RE said:

HUGS
    Oh Thomas I am sure Lesley is nearby, you two shared not only a great love but also a great faith. I have lost my mom and sister to cancer and I know with all my being that at times since they have been close at hand. Your children sound so strong and supportive I am sure you are quite proud of them. All I can tell you is that with time it will get easier as I have watched my father heal over the years. We are here for you when you need us Thomas, I just wish there was more I could do to help you heal. You and your loved ones continue to be in my daily prayers.

re

Thomas I am sorry for your
    Thomas I am sorry for your pain. I have no wise words of wisdom but want you to keep posting, and we will hear you. I will keep praying for you, to find peace and comfort.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    carkris said:

Thomas I am sorry for your
    Thomas I am sorry for your pain. I have no wise words of wisdom but want you to keep posting, and we will hear you. I will keep praying for you, to find peace and comfort.

Thomas my heart goes out to you and you're family -
    especially your children. May God grant you piece of mind, the Donna is in a better place - no suffering at all.

Strength, Courage and Love ..

Vicki Sam
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    I'm so very sorry for your great loss
    You are truly in my thoughts and prayers.

Sylvia
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Thomas,
    The Kindred Spirits

Thomas,
    The Kindred Spirits here are so right...truly there are no words to fill your empty spaces. Many of us have experienced similar losses, yet each of us, at the end of that proverbial day, struggles with the horrid quietness when the sun goes down...

Now, just as when you and Lesley were fighting the good fight, we here at CSN remain
    connected to you with heartstrings...and the bond is truly unbreakable.

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Options
    This has already been said more than once
    But Lesley has not really left you. She is in Heaven now, praying for you and the family you created and for all of those who have reached out to the two of you. She is in the happy memories which will stay with you until the day when the two of you are together again. She is in the eyes of your children, and in all the great and funny and annoying and charming and loving things they do... and even if it's only for a moment, you will look at one or another of them and see your beloved Lesley in him or her. I predict that this feeling will only grow and become more comforting as they grow into young women (I know your girls are already there) and young men. I know it would be far better for all if Lesley could be by your side, in the flesh, to share all of this with you. But please believe me when I tell you that Lesley *is* still always with you. And she always will be. As will we all, Thomas, in our thoughts and prayers for you and your family... your family here in the States and your family already in Heaven.

God Bless,
    Joe and Moopy
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Aortus said:

This has already been said more than once
    But Lesley has not really left you. She is in Heaven now, praying for you and the family you created and for all of those who have reached out to the two of you. She is in the happy memories which will stay with you until the day when the two of you are together again. She is in the eyes of your children, and in all the great and funny and annoying and charming and loving things they do... and even if it's only for a moment, you will look at one or another of them and see your beloved Lesley in him or her. I predict that this feeling will only grow and become more comforting as they grow into young women (I know your girls are already there) and young men. I know it would be far better for all if Lesley could be by your side, in the flesh, to share all of this with you. But please believe me when I tell you that Lesley *is* still always with you. And she always will be. As will we all, Thomas, in our thoughts and prayers for you and your family... your family here in the States and your family already in Heaven.

God Bless,
    Joe and Moopy

I can't add much to all
    I can't add much to all these wonderful thoughts that others have shared. But long ago I read somewhere that all the stars that twinkle in the heavens are the laughter of those we have lost. I find comfort in that and I still look up and see the stars and I feel the laughter of my mother and father and other's dear to my heart that are no longer here. Moopy and Aortus are so right about seeing your wife in your children. I see my parents in my reflection when I look in the mirror and in my daughter and her children. My prayers are with you and the family.
    Stef
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    chenheart said:

Thomas,
    The Kindred Spirits

Thomas,
    The Kindred Spirits here are so right...truly there are no words to fill your empty spaces. Many of us have experienced similar losses, yet each of us, at the end of that proverbial day, struggles with the horrid quietness when the sun goes down...

Now, just as when you and Lesley were fighting the good fight, we here at CSN remain
    connected to you with heartstrings...and the bond is truly unbreakable.

Hugs,
    Chen♥

I don't know what you must
    I don't know what you must be feeling, but, just know that all of us offer you our support and encouragement. Your wife was a true fighter and a warrior in her battle.

Please try to find comfort in knowing that she is your Angel now in Heaven watching over you and your children.

Hugs,

Angie