Michael Douglas has cancer

Options

Comments

• Kimba1505
    Kimba1505 Member Posts: 557
    Options

Jim, et al:

Joined the CSN today, prompted by news of Michael's cancer. It is on my heart to reach out to him somehow, to help in some way. Not sure what that looks like at this point other than prayer but I was led to CSN.

lf

People Magazine
    Michael Douglas is the featured story in People magazinet this week. The article mentions more true factors but still keeps it pretty light. They did mention that after a week of treatment his voice is not as strong. They also mention the need for a feeding tube "later in treatment". A highlighted box mentions HPV as a factor and that MD test positive.
    It is a start...may get more attention now that it is out. HPV can sound some alarms. People magazine is read by the masses. I must admit it is a guilty pleasure I usually save for the salon.

He is being treated at Sloan Kettering in Manhatten. From what they describe it sounds like he is getting Cisplatin and they are keeping surgery open as a later option if necessary.

My best wishes go out to him and his family and all who are on these boards,
    Kim
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options
    Kimba1505 said:

People Magazine
    Michael Douglas is the featured story in People magazinet this week. The article mentions more true factors but still keeps it pretty light. They did mention that after a week of treatment his voice is not as strong. They also mention the need for a feeding tube "later in treatment". A highlighted box mentions HPV as a factor and that MD test positive.
    It is a start...may get more attention now that it is out. HPV can sound some alarms. People magazine is read by the masses. I must admit it is a guilty pleasure I usually save for the salon.

He is being treated at Sloan Kettering in Manhatten. From what they describe it sounds like he is getting Cisplatin and they are keeping surgery open as a later option if necessary.

Kim

Thank you-
    For the info, Kim.

Hopes and Prayers are with him.

kcass
  • Scambuster
    Scambuster Member Posts: 973
    Options

Jim, et al:

Joined the CSN today, prompted by news of Michael's cancer. It is on my heart to reach out to him somehow, to help in some way. Not sure what that looks like at this point other than prayer but I was led to CSN.

lf

Hi to Lost feathers
    Hi & Welcome to our group. This where people can seek advice, support, direction and share experiences to help them and their families through the jouney with H&N Cancer, or simply come on to **** and moan, all of which is fine here. As you may gather from this thread we are a bit annoyed that the opportunities to inform the public a little more about this disease, it possible causes and the suffering were somewhat wasted.

We all hope Michael does well but it is early days and while he appeared gung ho and confident on TV, the reality of treatment from weeks 3-4 onward can be very rough. None of us wish him to suffer as many of us have and are, as he may sail through. It will be a high profile case, so I suppose inside we all hope his experience will be used somehow to bring more awareness to people about this horrible disease.

Maybe we just feel we need validation ?

Scam
  • Clearblue
    Clearblue Member Posts: 186
    Options

Hi to Lost feathers
    Hi & Welcome to our group. This where people can seek advice, support, direction and share experiences to help them and their families through the jouney with H&N Cancer, or simply come on to **** and moan, all of which is fine here. As you may gather from this thread we are a bit annoyed that the opportunities to inform the public a little more about this disease, it possible causes and the suffering were somewhat wasted.

We all hope Michael does well but it is early days and while he appeared gung ho and confident on TV, the reality of treatment from weeks 3-4 onward can be very rough. None of us wish him to suffer as many of us have and are, as he may sail through. It will be a high profile case, so I suppose inside we all hope his experience will be used somehow to bring more awareness to people about this horrible disease.

Maybe we just feel we need validation ?

Scam

Saw the letterman interview as a result of these posts. Mr Douglas looked somewhat helpless and tense shouldered. Sort of in a fear bubble playing the brave while letterman played the showman.

Someone should copy -past a brief collection of your posts re your RAD & chemo recovery experience and send it to letterman for follow up, or even more important invite Michael Douglas to this discussion board, where he'll find genuine people willing to give heartfelt advice without fanfare or expectation of anything in return besides basic respect and sincere care.

Clear
  • johnlax38
    johnlax38 Member Posts: 136
    Options
    Kimba1505 said:

People Magazine

Kim

I'm glad he is speaking out.
    I'm glad he is speaking out. I saw him on Letterman and he stated that the mouth area is going to get burned and his voice and ability to swallow will be affected. I'm just glad his perspective, ours, is being portrayed now to the media and not coming from some celebrity doctor that downplayed systems and side affects.
  • Kimba1505
    Options
    Clearblue said:

Saw the letterman interview as a result of these posts. Mr Douglas looked somewhat helpless and tense shouldered. Sort of in a fear bubble playing the brave while letterman played the showman.

Someone should copy -past a brief collection of your posts re your RAD & chemo recovery experience and send it to letterman for follow up, or even more important invite Michael Douglas to this discussion board, where he'll find genuine people willing to give heartfelt advice without fanfare or expectation of anything in return besides basic respect and sincere care.

Clear

Humanizing
    Maybe he will and hopefully under a screen name...not "Greed is Good". :) We all know there is no amount of money and no amount fame that will make this any easier for him or those who love him.
    I forgot to mention in my People Magazine post...it was reported he has BOT.
    Kim
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Kimba1505 said:

Humanizing
    Maybe he will and hopefully under a screen name...not "Greed is Good". :) We all know there is no amount of money and no amount fame that will make this any easier for him or those who love him.
    I forgot to mention in my People Magazine post...it was reported he has BOT.
    Kim

Creed...
    Speaking of creed....did you read in there where is ex-wife of at least over ten years ago is suing him for half of his profits on his new movie? Because it's a sequel of one he made while they were married (over ten years ago).....some people amaze me.
  • staceya
    staceya Member Posts: 720
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Creed...
    Speaking of creed....did you read in there where is ex-wife of at least over ten years ago is suing him for half of his profits on his new movie? Because it's a sequel of one he made while they were married (over ten years ago).....some people amaze me.

I saw the interview as well.
    I saw the interview as well. I can recognize that feeling he seems to be showing, of being afraid of what is to come. He mentioned, maybe more than once that it is just week 1 and things can get kind of rough.
    stacey
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options
    staceya said:

I saw the interview as well.
    I saw the interview as well. I can recognize that feeling he seems to be showing, of being afraid of what is to come. He mentioned, maybe more than once that it is just week 1 and things can get kind of rough.
    stacey

thank you
    Thanks again, Kim. Did not know it was BOT. With his getting both C&R, he may be doing relatively well (enough to look okay on Letterman), but no doubt the toll will escalate as he gets further into the tunnel. Film star that he is, one does wonder if he'll be moved enough by this experience to appear, if even just on a home movie, on film? Know Karl, the NBA basketball coach did. Would be something if he shows the world what it's like, you know.

kcass
  • lostfeathers
    lostfeathers Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Clearblue said:

Clear

Help
    Clear, you are exactly right about the helpless and tense shouldered look. We have a lot to offer from our experiences and want nothing more than to help MD and his family get through this. If we are able to "connect" I believe we can help.

lf
  • Skiffin16
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

HPV+
    I haven't heard any reference at all concerning MD and HPV+. Actually I don't think I've heard it in any of the television media as a possibility of HPV derived throat cancer.

HPV+
    I did read that he was HPV+ in the magazine that Kim mentioned...
  • Kimba1505
    Options

Help
    Clear, you are exactly right about the helpless and tense shouldered look. We have a lot to offer from our experiences and want nothing more than to help MD and his family get through this. If we are able to "connect" I believe we can help.

lf

No tube.
    Just saw a report on Michael Douglas, he is ending treatment and never got a PEG. Hope he finds a place where he can talk about his treatment. To do 8 weeks of rads without a feeding tube seems astonishing.
  • Skiffin16
    Options
    Kimba1505 said:

No tube.
    Just saw a report on Michael Douglas, he is ending treatment and never got a PEG. Hope he finds a place where he can talk about his treatment. To do 8 weeks of rads without a feeding tube seems astonishing.

PEG
    Kim, I know it's highly endorsed here, but I didn't have the PEG either during my nine weeks of Chemo then the additional concurrent seven weeks Chemo/rads....it's different for everyone.

Believe me, I was never at a point that I couldn't take in calories or swallow. I might not have taken in as many, or without some throat pain. But it really wasn't that tough on me, I may be an exception...I don't think that I'm anymore tough than any of you, it just wasn't something that was needed in my case.

It irritates me when I see ET and the other "sensationalized TV programs"...according to them all he is dying. He's going through the same as all of us have. Yes, it's rough and the possibility of cure is always uncertain. But also you aren't going to look your usual "hollywood" self...he's being poisoned and radiated daily.

Too bad they haven't taken an approach to capitalize the technology, procedures, and successes. they should dig a little deeper to exploit the positives of treatment and outcomes.

Best,
    John
  • Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

PEG
    Kim, I know it's highly endorsed here, but I didn't have the PEG either during my nine weeks of Chemo then the additional concurrent seven weeks Chemo/rads....it's different for everyone.

Believe me, I was never at a point that I couldn't take in calories or swallow. I might not have taken in as many, or without some throat pain. But it really wasn't that tough on me, I may be an exception...I don't think that I'm anymore tough than any of you, it just wasn't something that was needed in my case.

It irritates me when I see ET and the other "sensationalized TV programs"...according to them all he is dying. He's going through the same as all of us have. Yes, it's rough and the possibility of cure is always uncertain. But also you aren't going to look your usual "hollywood" self...he's being poisoned and radiated daily.

Too bad they haven't taken an approach to capitalize the technology, procedures, and successes. they should dig a little deeper to exploit the positives of treatment and outcomes.

Best,
    John

Agreed on feeding tube
    Ny husband had three rounds of Cisplatin and 35 daily radiation treatments. While we had the feeding tube put in place as a precaution, Jim never reached a point where he could not eat. We never moved to liquid diet, either. Jim had a regular diet and if I cut food smaller that was a decision on my part, not something Jim needed or requested.

I have no idea what the difference is - possibly the area radiated - Jim was treated for hypopharyngeal and base of tongue cancer.
  • micktissue
    micktissue Member Posts: 430
    Options
    Kimba1505 said:

No tube.

it depends
    The reason for the PEG is determined by a number of factors, the primary one is the ability to take in enough nutrition orally, as everyone here already knows only too well. The target area of the rads and the body's reaction to the chemo are the important elements to look at here.

Known primary tumors of a small size mean the target area for rads is also small. The reduced damage area combined with a slight to moderate reaction to chemo AND the determination to continuing to swallow would make the decision to do without the PEG easier.

I went 7 weeks without the PEG and relented only when my wife begged me to get it due to her fear that I would lose too much weight and end up in hospital. Indeed, the PEG may have contributed to my stricture as once I had it I essentially stopped swallowing.

The lesson learned in my case is to keep swallowing something when you get the PEG. The esophagus will swell (especially when the target area is large, as in my case - unknown primary) and unless it has regular activity, it will tend to close.

Douglas may have just the right combination of smaller target area, better chemo reaction, and unflinching determination to make it without the PEG. In any case I think he is very lucky.

Best,

Mick
  • RushFan
    RushFan Member Posts: 224
    Options

it depends
    The reason for the PEG is determined by a number of factors, the primary one is the ability to take in enough nutrition orally, as everyone here already knows only too well. The target area of the rads and the body's reaction to the chemo are the important elements to look at here.

Known primary tumors of a small size mean the target area for rads is also small. The reduced damage area combined with a slight to moderate reaction to chemo AND the determination to continuing to swallow would make the decision to do without the PEG easier.

I went 7 weeks without the PEG and relented only when my wife begged me to get it due to her fear that I would lose too much weight and end up in hospital. Indeed, the PEG may have contributed to my stricture as once I had it I essentially stopped swallowing.

The lesson learned in my case is to keep swallowing something when you get the PEG. The esophagus will swell (especially when the target area is large, as in my case - unknown primary) and unless it has regular activity, it will tend to close.

Douglas may have just the right combination of smaller target area, better chemo reaction, and unflinching determination to make it without the PEG. In any case I think he is very lucky.

Best,

Mick

No PEG here either...
    I was fortunate too.

I didn't want the PEG from the get-go and was told by one nurse I should reconsider. My rad-onc was optimistic that I could make it through and I did. Lost 35 pounds, but I made it on Ensure and Boost. Barely. The nutritionist had to threaten me several times to up the calories or my doc would push the PEG.

I was T0 N2b M0, unknown primary. I had 35 rads to entire neck / pharyngeal area and 7 once weekly rounds of cisplatin.

Best to all,
    Chuck.
  • timreichhart
    timreichhart Member Posts: 194
    Options
    RushFan said:

No PEG here either...
    I was fortunate too.

I didn't want the PEG from the get-go and was told by one nurse I should reconsider. My rad-onc was optimistic that I could make it through and I did. Lost 35 pounds, but I made it on Ensure and Boost. Barely. The nutritionist had to threaten me several times to up the calories or my doc would push the PEG.

I was T0 N2b M0, unknown primary. I had 35 rads to entire neck / pharyngeal area and 7 once weekly rounds of cisplatin.

Best to all,
    Chuck.

About PEG/Hair loss
    Well I went through about 6 weeks with 5FU and Cisplatin and 7 weeks of radiation and I never lost any hair or got a PEG tube put in place. Only thing I dealt with was mouth sores and I am sure everybody can agree with the mouth sores. Only thing I am dealing with is dry mouth from radiation. When I started treatment I was at 203 lbs and now I am down to 150 lbs and every time I meet with the doctors they always threaten me to put in an PEG tube and I always told them NO lol. I guess the side effects depends on how your body can handle this crap.
  • delnative
    delnative Member Posts: 450
    Options

About PEG/Hair loss
    Well I went through about 6 weeks with 5FU and Cisplatin and 7 weeks of radiation and I never lost any hair or got a PEG tube put in place. Only thing I dealt with was mouth sores and I am sure everybody can agree with the mouth sores. Only thing I am dealing with is dry mouth from radiation. When I started treatment I was at 203 lbs and now I am down to 150 lbs and every time I meet with the doctors they always threaten me to put in an PEG tube and I always told them NO lol. I guess the side effects depends on how your body can handle this crap.

About the PEG
    I'd hoped that Michael Douglas' story would help educate the public about this type of cancer, a type that most people know nothing about (until they get it).
    I think his story may have helped, but I just hope that those who are newly diagnosed don't reject the PEG just because "Michael Douglas didn't get one."
    My doc told me to get the PEG. I did. I'm glad I did.
    If he'd told me not to get a PEG, I wouldn't have.
    That's why he pulls down the big bucks. He knows what's best.

--Jim in Delaware
  • terryscarlett
    terryscarlett Member Posts: 143
    Options
    delnative said:

About the PEG
    I'd hoped that Michael Douglas' story would help educate the public about this type of cancer, a type that most people know nothing about (until they get it).
    I think his story may have helped, but I just hope that those who are newly diagnosed don't reject the PEG just because "Michael Douglas didn't get one."
    My doc told me to get the PEG. I did. I'm glad I did.
    If he'd told me not to get a PEG, I wouldn't have.
    That's why he pulls down the big bucks. He knows what's best.

--Jim in Delaware

Peg
    was a big help for Dave as food had terrible taste and he stopped eating by mouth 4 weeks into treatments. He has lost around 18 lbs so far. Which I think is good for what he has been through! I hope he doesn't need throat stretched, as he has continued drinking fluids all along. I know thats not like swallowing solid foods but it is something to keep the throat working. 5 more days with rads and he will be Done with this phase of treatments! I just am praying to God that this treatment has worked and the tumor and nodes are cancer free at his oct. 19th appointment with his ENT. Everyone dealing with this keep the faith it will and does get better. There is a light at the end to work towards and it will come!
    Love all for support and Info throughout Daves treatments. You guys have been a God send and I can't thank you enough for taking time out of your lives to post the help for all of us. Hope everyone has a good weekend!! :)
    Terry
  • DJG1
    DJG1 Member Posts: 121
    Options

Peg
    was a big help for Dave as food had terrible taste and he stopped eating by mouth 4 weeks into treatments. He has lost around 18 lbs so far. Which I think is good for what he has been through! I hope he doesn't need throat stretched, as he has continued drinking fluids all along. I know thats not like swallowing solid foods but it is something to keep the throat working. 5 more days with rads and he will be Done with this phase of treatments! I just am praying to God that this treatment has worked and the tumor and nodes are cancer free at his oct. 19th appointment with his ENT. Everyone dealing with this keep the faith it will and does get better. There is a light at the end to work towards and it will come!
    Love all for support and Info throughout Daves treatments. You guys have been a God send and I can't thank you enough for taking time out of your lives to post the help for all of us. Hope everyone has a good weekend!! :)
    Terry

TABLOIDS
    I went for treatment #18 of 33 today. Was feeling a little rough and maybe a bit sorry for myself today, when I stopped at the grocery to see if I could find some food to get down me. As I was checking out, the magazine stand had 2 (star and maybe national inquirer) with MD on front cover stating his cancer is worse and he and zita are spending their last remaining time together. I know these are not reputable sources, but it sure puts another lump in your throat when you are checking out. I am sure it doesnt make Michael feel any better either, even if is true or not.
    Deb