Michael Douglas has cancer

Options

Comments

• micktissue
    micktissue Member Posts: 430
    Options
    Kimba1505 said:

The Media is. Like I said in my first post on this thread...Mike Douglas is as human as the rest of us, and his wife and children are just as scared right now as our loved ones have been/are.
    They are going to go through it...no doubt...and we all know some have the hardest of times and seem to have every side effect possible, and there are those who have few, and then there is everything in between.

That said, it would be great if there was some accurate reporting on this cancer, independent of Mike Douglas, I imagine he would like to step out of the spot light for a year or so.

I think everyone on these boards, directly affected with cancer, caregivesrs, and loved ones, can post the effects they have had (temporary and permenant). I also think the fact that people can lose the battle due to malnutrition because the inability to eat becomes so severe.
    There is the physical fall out, the emotional fall out, the relational fall out, the career fall out, the financial fall out, the pleasure fall out, the self image fall out....am I missing any???? All of these could be headings with a multitude of examples listed under them.

We all know that treatment for any cancer sucks; but it is no secret that the treatment for Head and Neck cancer is one of the worst, if not THE worst. You all deserve some acknowledgement for what you have been through.

You all are amazing people who have and are fighting for you life...it is unfortunate that these media outlets have minimized your battle and your wounds by their fluffy reporting.

Love, Love, Love,
    Kim

excellent point Kim
    Yes and I hope I've been on target with this. The media are not digging deep enough into HNC, treatment effects, and the HPV connection. This is not about Michael Douglas but about HNC awareness.

Thanks for the reframe Kim.

Best,

Mick
  • dennis318
    dennis318 Member Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Kimba1505 said:

Davidgskinner...
    excellent soap boxing! It feels good to speak up and speak out...empowering. I am going to try to find the Today Show website and direct them to these message boards.

Walk In The ParK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I will be mad if I hear of somebody holding a barf bag in the back seat of his Mercedes before Movie Shoots, I hope he goes threw this as easy as possible, actually he needs to come to this site after mid way of his treatment and express his true feelings of what cancer is all about, and what he is expiericing, Your right, Flu Symptoms Don't even come close to the crap we all went threw, or what repurcutions, after everything, he oughta try making it on half a paycheck, and odds and ends drug given, because my insurance won't pay for them....Ok, I have Vented, Best to All....Dennis, P.S I do wish him the best in recovery
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    dennis318 said:

Walk In The ParK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I will be mad if I hear of somebody holding a barf bag in the back seat of his Mercedes before Movie Shoots, I hope he goes threw this as easy as possible, actually he needs to come to this site after mid way of his treatment and express his true feelings of what cancer is all about, and what he is expiericing, Your right, Flu Symptoms Don't even come close to the crap we all went threw, or what repurcutions, after everything, he oughta try making it on half a paycheck, and odds and ends drug given, because my insurance won't pay for them....Ok, I have Vented, Best to All....Dennis, P.S I do wish him the best in recovery

Hi dennis
    Great picture you are looking good my friend
  • Hondo
    Options
    Sorry to hear this
    No matter who they are rich or poor and no matter what there religious belief are or are not one thing is for sure. Cancer does not respect any one person.
  • dennis318
    dennis318 Member Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hondo said:

Hi dennis
    Great picture you are looking good my friend

Thanks Hondo
    I wish I could say this was a recent pic, this was last fall before everything came down, picture me 40 lbs lighter and a trach hanging out of my throat, many nights i sit here and think of myself of how it use to be, not vain, but hurts to see what a year of cancer fighting can do. I go Monday to See if The trach can be removed, the weight gain is a slow thing, but have about 15 lbs back on from 140...thanks again, you guys are always there for us..Dennis...I will post a newer pic soon, to see what cancer does
  • Hondo
    Options
    dennis318 said:

Thanks Hondo
    I wish I could say this was a recent pic, this was last fall before everything came down, picture me 40 lbs lighter and a trach hanging out of my throat, many nights i sit here and think of myself of how it use to be, not vain, but hurts to see what a year of cancer fighting can do. I go Monday to See if The trach can be removed, the weight gain is a slow thing, but have about 15 lbs back on from 140...thanks again, you guys are always there for us..Dennis...I will post a newer pic soon, to see what cancer does

Dennis

I know what you are saying my brother but the fact you are here is all that really matters.

Take care.
  • Fire34
    Fire34 Member Posts: 365
    Options
    Kent Cass said:

Yep
    I cut my moustache off. That counts, don't it?

kcass

(Sorry- I couldn't help it)

LOL Kent
    I didn't have any hair to start with. Like you I had to shave my mustache. It didn't taste too good. LOL
    Dave
  • luv4lacrosse
    luv4lacrosse Member Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Kimba1505 said:

Mark CAN be funny...
    I just shared with Mark the lame report done on NBC's Today Show (my favorite, by the way); and how treatment only results in some flu-like symptoms. His response, "Ya know, I really only had flu-like symptoms too...I was just trying to milk this for all the sympathy I could get"; as he dabs some topical lidocaine on the nickel size sore in his mouth so he can take a drink of water.

POSITIVE VIBES
    The good sense of humor and upbeat attitude is just as important as the topical lidocaine he has to apply for pain control.

Way to go Mark!!

Best!!!!

Mike
  • jkinobay
    jkinobay Member Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Hondo said:

Sorry to hear this
    No matter who they are rich or poor and no matter what there religious belief are or are not one thing is for sure. Cancer does not respect any one person.

It is in fact sad news
    But, as you say "the beast" knows no boundaries. Any of us can be in the crosshairs.

As for NBC, and I may be a little politically biased here, but if anyone has ever counted on them for serious news rather than entertainment, then I think you need to rethink............I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin.
  • denistd
    denistd Member Posts: 597
    Options
    jkinobay said:

It is in fact sad news
    But, as you say "the beast" knows no boundaries. Any of us can be in the crosshairs.

As for NBC, and I may be a little politically biased here, but if anyone has ever counted on them for serious news rather than entertainment, then I think you need to rethink............I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin.

throat cancer
    Michael Douglas was on TV today talking about the fact he has throat cancer. He stated it is stage 4 but gave no other details, he has started the rads and chemo.
  • RushFan
    RushFan Member Posts: 224
    Options
    denistd said:

throat cancer
    Michael Douglas was on TV today talking about the fact he has throat cancer. He stated it is stage 4 but gave no other details, he has started the rads and chemo.

Video clip on Yahoo
    There's a video clip on Yahoo from his Letterman appearance. Still did not give detailed info.

Hope he does well, and best to all here.
    Chuck.
  • Scambuster
    Scambuster Member Posts: 973
    Options
    RushFan said:

Video clip on Yahoo
    There's a video clip on Yahoo from his Letterman appearance. Still did not give detailed info.

Hope he does well, and best to all here.
    Chuck.

Wasted opportunity ;o(
    Just saw the news bite of the Letterman appearance in NBC with Brian WILLIAMS. These news programs are complete rubbish. They wasted a perfect opportunity to increase awareness, warn people of the hazards of smoking etc. A very disappointing lack of insight. I think Al Jazeera is one of the few news programs worth watching these days. Infotainment rules, real news has been lost in the woods.

On a positive note MD looked upbeat and ready for his fight.

Scam
  • dogsrule
    dogsrule Member Posts: 96
    Options

Wasted opportunity ;o(
    Just saw the news bite of the Letterman appearance in NBC with Brian WILLIAMS. These news programs are complete rubbish. They wasted a perfect opportunity to increase awareness, warn people of the hazards of smoking etc. A very disappointing lack of insight. I think Al Jazeera is one of the few news programs worth watching these days. Infotainment rules, real news has been lost in the woods.

Scam

World news
    Did anyone see the world news on ABC tonight with Diane Sawyer. They showed the Letterman interview with Micheal Douglass. They said that he said " his lifestyle was a contributing factor". They went on to say about the harmfull effects of drinking and smoking. They also referred to studies done that the 2 combined is 100% more toxic then just drinking or smoking alone.
    MD said that things looked good for him. 80% 5 yr survival
    They also compared the low rate of certain cancers among the mormons as comparred to the general population as most of the morman people do not indulge in smoking or drinking.
  • luv4lacrosse
    luv4lacrosse Member Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options

Wasted opportunity ;o(

Scam

WHAT A WASTE
    Leave it to the "leftist" media to give us the facts. (please!!)

I did hear MD say "I know exactly how I got it." "I smoked and drank." Has anyone heard if he is HPV+???

If not, he sounds like the poster child for the older male who is a chronic smoker and drinker. "life style cancer" as some would call it.

The media could have used this to send a message to all of the youngsters I see every day at the Quick Trip before school smoking and dipping.

What a waste.

Enough being mad about this. I hope all of you had a great day today and are looking forward to tomorrow.

BEST!!!

Mike
  • Hondo
    Options

WHAT A WASTE

I did hear MD say "I know exactly how I got it." "I smoked and drank." Has anyone heard if he is HPV+???

If not, he sounds like the poster child for the older male who is a chronic smoker and drinker. "life style cancer" as some would call it.

The media could have used this to send a message to all of the youngsters I see every day at the Quick Trip before school smoking and dipping.

What a waste.

Enough being mad about this. I hope all of you had a great day today and are looking forward to tomorrow.

BEST!!!

Mike

Hi Mike
    Good point
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options

WHAT A WASTE

What a waste.

BEST!!!

Mike

HPV+
    I haven't heard any reference at all concerning MD and HPV+. Actually I don't think I've heard it in any of the television media as a possibility of HPV derived throat cancer.
  • JUDYV5
    JUDYV5 Member Posts: 392
    Options
    GRAVEY said:

Just read that also Jim, one
    Just read that also Jim, one lymph node, not too bad, I was lucky like that and had one lymph node swell up when I had tongue cancer. Feels weird to say had, and good at the same time. But I have always been known to be the Weird one, so I guess it fits :) Hope all things work well for him. I have a good feeling he will fully recover.....

BOT
    In the Tribune this morning there was an article that stated he had a walnut sized tumor on the bottom of his tongue.
  • Hondo
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

HPV+
    I haven't heard any reference at all concerning MD and HPV+. Actually I don't think I've heard it in any of the television media as a possibility of HPV derived throat cancer.

Media
    Something that they want to keep out of the news I guess, just blame it on the smoking and drinking.
  • lostfeathers
    lostfeathers Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Jim, et al:

Joined the CSN today, prompted by news of Michael's cancer. It is on my heart to reach out to him somehow, to help in some way. Not sure what that looks like at this point other than prayer but I was led to CSN.

lf
  • Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options

WHAT A WASTE

What a waste.

BEST!!!

Mike

wasted opportunity
    It's possible he has all three factors: smoking, drinking and HPV+.

The end result is the same. Again, mass media is going to make money off Michael Douglas' illness.

Let's see if he "goes into hiding" when the going gets tough or if he speaks up and talks about how rough the treatment is for him.

My husband was very fortunate in that he did not suffer from the treatment to the degree many of you have. However, in no way would he say it was easy. Jim's greatest issue is the fatigue.

Just going to watch this as it unfolds. Would love to see this Hollywood family be about support and let us see a little bit of how they deal with the reality of this disease.