What about your cancer journey has made you laugh?

Options

Comments

• cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    jo jo said:

I love this thread!
    These are awesome stories...i laughed my butt off reading some of these!

I have alot of stories through out my bc journey...but the one i cant forget is when i had my expanders in and i went for one of my fills. My PS was injecting the saline and when she was doing this i could actually see my boob rising...and i told her i feel like a blow up doll and she was laughing so hard she scared me cuz the needle was still in my boob and anyone who has expanders knows those needles are not little. I learned to never, ever make your doc laugh to hard during a procedure.

Another one is when i was going in for my lumpectomy and they gave me a big blue gown to put on...i thought the gown felt a little odd but i didnt know why. After awhile the nurse asked me if i was cold and i said yes...i thought she was bringin me a nice warm toasty blanket...Nope...she plugs my gown in and i blow up like a giant blue berry...it scared the holy &*&* out of me...until she explained...after her and my family had their laugh that it was a warming gown....never have i heard of such a thing!

JoJo, I didn't
    need it because I'm always warm! But I did see the hose hanging there and it was connected to my blue gown in preop before surgery, so I asked the nurse. I would have burst out laughing too :-0
    Char
  • cahjah75
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

You sound just like my friends
    I was meeting some friends for dinner after one of my follow-up appointments at the hospital a month or so ago -- they were visiting a friend who was in the hospital, so suggested that we all just meet in front of the hospital.

And they said, "When we get there, we expect to see you with a free cup of coffee in your hand, and a blushing coffee-cart guy!"

:-) Traci

LOL
    Traci, you go girl!!!
    Char
  • cahjah75
    Options
    RE said:

my little story
    I have a bit of a funny story. This last time that I had to have chemo I was not too happy about it (who is right). Well, I went in had the chemo and came home. The next day I felt pretty gross. I was laying on the couch feeling ill when my then 2 1/2 year old grand son Ian (he turns 6 tomorrow) realized I was ill. He immediately put his Mr. Potato Head glasses on, got his stickers and started to decorate my face with stickers. He said they were medicine to make me better. He was right, by the time he was done I felt GREAT! The little guy showed his love the only way he knew how. It was what I needed.

Hugs to all,

RE

What a precious story :-0
    RE, I have 5 grandchildren 6 and under. They will soon see me bald as I start chemo Tuesday. After my bilateral mastectomy one 2 year old granddaughter said Gramma, I won't hurt you, I give gentle hugs. Aren't they the greatest!
    Char
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    jo jo said:

I love this thread!
    These are awesome stories...i laughed my butt off reading some of these!

I have alot of stories through out my bc journey...but the one i cant forget is when i had my expanders in and i went for one of my fills. My PS was injecting the saline and when she was doing this i could actually see my boob rising...and i told her i feel like a blow up doll and she was laughing so hard she scared me cuz the needle was still in my boob and anyone who has expanders knows those needles are not little. I learned to never, ever make your doc laugh to hard during a procedure.

Another one is when i was going in for my lumpectomy and they gave me a big blue gown to put on...i thought the gown felt a little odd but i didnt know why. After awhile the nurse asked me if i was cold and i said yes...i thought she was bringin me a nice warm toasty blanket...Nope...she plugs my gown in and i blow up like a giant blue berry...it scared the holy &*&* out of me...until she explained...after her and my family had their laugh that it was a warming gown....never have i heard of such a thing!

This thread is making me feel so deprived...
    So...not only did I not get a great pesto recipe like Claudia, no one ever bought me any Curlers for Chemo Patients, and my rads center didn't have a 24-hour drive-thru window like ms.sunshine's...I never had blow-up anything!

Jo Jo, you got blow-up breasts AND a blow-up gown??

I'm deprived, I tell you, DEPRIVED!

• aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Betsy13 said:

last day of radiation
    I had a lovely 2 inch circle outlined on my boob in blue marker for my last 5 boosts. It was my last day and I had had enough. My rad. tech. was the best and she pulled me through some really rough times. So...in her honor...I filled in the blue marker with a purple smiley face. You could hear her laugh so loud the 2 other techs ran in to see what was so funny. Yep, when it's either laugh or cry, choose laughter!

You just reminded me...
    when I had my lumpectomy I had my friend do a little graffiti
    on my chest, it was a little like finding Waldo to make sure
    they got the right breast. I wish I could have seen their faces
    in the OP.

Ayse
  • Third_Generation
    Third_Generation Member Posts: 121
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

So...not only did I not get a great pesto recipe like Claudia, no one ever bought me any Curlers for Chemo Patients, and my rads center didn't have a 24-hour drive-thru window like ms.sunshine's...I never had blow-up anything!

Forgot my "boobs"
    Went to Malibu this summer with Bill and two of the grandkids. When I went to put my dress on to go out to a nice dinner, I realized that I had forgotten my slip AND my fake boobs!! Went out in the dress anyway, of course. My 13 yr old grand girl told me I looked great! gotta love those kids and the way their parents bring them up...love,love,love
  • jackiejhm
    jackiejhm Member Posts: 169
    Options
    aysemari said:

You just reminded me...
    when I had my lumpectomy I had my friend do a little graffiti
    on my chest, it was a little like finding Waldo to make sure
    they got the right breast. I wish I could have seen their faces
    in the OP.

Ayse

HAha
    How funny! Great story Ayse!
  • filimu
    filimu Member Posts: 74
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Make lemonade!
    Not everything can be looked at from both sides, but after I had the cancerous breast removed, and the genetic test determined I didn't need chemo, I was told at my age, and never having had a pregnancy, the type of cancer I had a likelyhood of recurring in the other breast. So I opted (and thankfully my insurance company agreed) to take the other one off as well, and began reconstruction. Now, just over a year and 3 operations later (with probably one more for, as she put it - touch up work - later this year) I like to believe I'm in the clear.
    But I think my mind lightening moment, for both myself and others, is that I tell them since I was fortunate enough to come through it relatively easily, and I feel I didn't lose anything. See, I got free upgrades my from insurance company and I'm just thankful that I didn't PAY a fortune for the same thing 10 or 20 years ago!
  • filimu
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

doubled in error

doubled in error
  • TraciInLA
    Options
    filimu said:

doubled in error

doubled in error

What a great picture, filimu!
    Are those your babies? One of your twins sure has a lot more hair than the other....

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Are those your babies? One of your twins sure has a lot more hair than the other....

I had Bc in 1994 with a
    I had Bc in 1994 with a subsequent mastectomy ended up with no reconstruction. advance to last July. the hospitals are so good about making sure its the correct side correct surgery yada yada. but they kept asking me and my answer was "trust me, you wont make any mistake" the surgery was for mastectomy on the remaining side. I just have to laugh.
    Traci you are so funny. no blowing up for you
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Options
    I have one important question
    BlownAway, is that you dancing? If so, what "meds" are you on and where can I get them?? I loved Yul Brenner! And I also had the blow-up blankie. The technology now days.
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Traci,
    You make me LOL and

Traci,
    You make me LOL and you reminded me that when I was pregnant and nearly to term my hubby my hubby picked up a little hairy dog we were pet sitting and cradled it in his arms and said, The baby is so cute but it's so hairy. I was in the middle of drinking a soda and laughed so hard soda came out my nose. Thank's for the walk down memory lane.
    Oh, that is an adorable little girl and cute doggie.
    Stef
  • filimu
    Options
    laurissa said:

BlownAway, is that you dancing? If so, what "meds" are you on and where can I get them?? I loved Yul Brenner! And I also had the blow-up blankie. The technology now days.

No Tracie
    That's just a picture I got off the web, but when I was a little girl I wore my hair in pigtails like that (only longer) and we had a blonde setter/retriever mix - so I really liked the picture...I've had animals - usually more than one - all my life. They are part of what keeps me (ostensibly) sane. :)
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Options
    laurissa said:

Laurissa,Thanks for asking.
    Laurissa,

Thanks for asking. That was my alter ego, Miss Spent Youth.

Today I have decided to be the Cancer Sheriff.
    I'm a gonna get me a possee together, round up all them cancer varmints, string um up and let um swing from the nearest tree.

I wish I could remember what the good drugs were but I am sooooo old now that I have forgotten.

Hugs

Donna
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

Laurissa,Thanks for asking.
    Laurissa,

Thanks for asking. That was my alter ego, Miss Spent Youth.

Today I have decided to be the Cancer Sheriff.
    I'm a gonna get me a possee together, round up all them cancer varmints, string um up and let um swing from the nearest tree.

I wish I could remember what the good drugs were but I am sooooo old now that I have forgotten.

Hugs

Donna

LOL

LOL
  • iowasignterp
    iowasignterp Member Posts: 55
    Options
    Mastectomy humor
    This came from a friend of mine:

yeah, of course, they are fake, the real ones tried to kill me!!

my sick humor is such that I said to a recent mastectomy patient:

It is not you I feel sorry for, honey, it is your husband. The Doctor just removed one of his playtoys. He got robbed!!
  • jackiejhm
    jackiejhm Member Posts: 169
    Options

Mastectomy humor
    This came from a friend of mine:

yeah, of course, they are fake, the real ones tried to kill me!!

my sick humor is such that I said to a recent mastectomy patient:

It is not you I feel sorry for, honey, it is your husband. The Doctor just removed one of his playtoys. He got robbed!!

LOL iowasignterp!
    Funny stuff. I am not yet ready for reconstruction. I am, however looking forward to being able to say afterwards: "yeah, they're real- real expensive!" How about "How old am I? Well parts of me are...." xoxo, Jackie
  • TraciInLA
    Options
    jackiejhm said:

LOL iowasignterp!
    Funny stuff. I am not yet ready for reconstruction. I am, however looking forward to being able to say afterwards: "yeah, they're real- real expensive!" How about "How old am I? Well parts of me are...." xoxo, Jackie

LOL back at you, Jackie!
    "How old am I? Well, parts of me are..."

I never thought of that one before -- hilarious!

Traci
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    MGNS said:

A few days after my last
    A few days after my last chemo treatment my husband thought it would be good for me to get out of the house and go shopping at our closest mall (which is 2 hours away). I was so tired that I decided to take a little nap while he drove. I took my wig off in the car while I napped. When we reached the mall I quickly put my wig back on and we headed into the mall for fun shopping. After about an hour at the mall I went to the ladies room in Dillards and before leaving looked in the mirror. My wig was on sideways! My husband hadn't even noticed and I had been wearing that thing sideways all through the mall. Boy did I chew him out, but we were both laughing so hard it was hard to be upset with him. I felt like I looked like a drunk old lady staggering through the mall since I was still feeling the effects of the last chemo. We still laugh about this.
    Laughter helps you get through the difficult times!

MGNS, you have me laughing
    MGNS, you have me laughing to death at your story! Thanks for posting this.

This is just way too funny!

Hugs, Debby