What about your cancer journey has made you laugh?

Options

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Hubby said:

Curlers for Chemo Patients
    Breast Cancer Awareness Instant Heat Rollers

Available at Target.com a set of curlers in a nice pink case... Just made me laugh.

http://www.target.com/Breast-Cancer-Awareness-Instant-Rollers/dp/B000U0D3A4/ref=sc_qi_detaillink

Omigod, I was sure you were joking!
    I had to go look at the link myself...you're NOT joking -- curlers for breast cancer!

WHO in Conair's marketing department missed the inappropriate humor of THAT?

Traci
  • TraciInLA
    Options
    chenheart said:

While under the influence of
    While under the influence of Happy Drugs, before being put completely under for surgery, I remember being on the operating table with both of my arms outstretched for the IV's and that I was facing a large picture window. I could see trees and flowers out the window, and I said half-loopily to the surgeon and anesthesiologist that if I looked out the window and saw my family and reporters I would know that I was actually sentenced to death and that they were there to administer my lethal injection!

Siobhan says that when I was being wheeled into my room after my lumpectomy, still groggy, that I announced to my RN amd the assembled multitide of friends and family that not only did I get a Great recipe for pesto, but I also had a one sided breast reduction!

Great thread, Traci~ thanks!

Claudia

Claudia, I am SO offended
    Never, at NO time during all this, have I ever received a great recipe for pesto!

I have an FLB, little blue tattoos, the energy level of an old person, and a furry glow-in-the-dark tiara, but NO PESTO RECIPE!

And here I thought I went to a full-service hospital....I should write a letter of complaint.

:-) Traci
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

I had to go look at the link myself...you're NOT joking -- curlers for breast cancer!

Traci

We're Doomed, I tell you, we're doomed! HAHAHAHAHAHA
    Must be the same folks who designed the Pink with BC Ribbon Logo Blow Dryer~ and yeah...I have one! It is a Positive Affirmation, isn't it? Proof positive that we all get our hair back? LOL
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    chenheart said:

We're Doomed, I tell you, we're doomed! HAHAHAHAHAHA
    Must be the same folks who designed the Pink with BC Ribbon Logo Blow Dryer~ and yeah...I have one! It is a Positive Affirmation, isn't it? Proof positive that we all get our hair back? LOL

LOL @ MGNS and Ritzy!
    Between Mgns's post and Ritzy's, I am laughing out loud! Funny, funny posts!

I can't think of anything funny yet. I will have to think a little bit on this one.

Thanks Traci for a very amusing post! There is humor, there has to be, in what we endure!

Lex♥
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Traci

Thanks for sharing....
    your stories sure made me laugh! A few made me laugh out loud! The further I go in my bc journey you realize the importance of laughter. The only thing I can think of is when I went to see my surgeon for my 1st post bilateral mastectomy visit I was wearing my camisole over the compression bra. He had not seen a patient wearing one yet. I showed him how it had the velcro pockets for the drains. I said next time I'll wear the cotton boobs that come with it!
    Char
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Hubby said:

Curlers for Chemo Patients
    Breast Cancer Awareness Instant Heat Rollers

Available at Target.com a set of curlers in a nice pink case... Just made me laugh.

http://www.target.com/Breast-Cancer-Awareness-Instant-Rollers/dp/B000U0D3A4/ref=sc_qi_detaillink

Priceless!
    What will they think of next, pink eyelash curlers for our nonexistent eyelashes??
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Christmas Tree Topper
    I decided with my quit round bald head I would look great as a Christmas tree topper. I had my husband take a picture of me popping up over the top of a very small pine tree with all my bald glory. Just for prosperity. Kathryn
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    Options

Priceless!
    What will they think of next, pink eyelash curlers for our nonexistent eyelashes??

OH OH Latest
    Have you seen the new strips of eye showed you just press on. Comes in rows of different shades, lepord print, etc. A bit spendie but what a look.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    Alexis F said:

LOL @ MGNS and Ritzy!
    Between Mgns's post and Ritzy's, I am laughing out loud! Funny, funny posts!

I can't think of anything funny yet. I will have to think a little bit on this one.

Thanks Traci for a very amusing post! There is humor, there has to be, in what we endure!

Lex♥

Thanks Lex! lol I still
    Thanks Lex! lol I still crack up over MGNS and her wig. lol

Sue :)
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Christmas Tree Topper
    I decided with my quit round bald head I would look great as a Christmas tree topper. I had my husband take a picture of me popping up over the top of a very small pine tree with all my bald glory. Just for prosperity. Kathryn

sideways wig
    now thats funny I don't care who you are.

I walk in the bedroom get my radiation cream, get dressed, put shoes on, get purse, phone, and keys on way to rads. Husband is watching tv, asks where are you going. Open door dumdumdum it's 11:00 pm on Saturday night. I blame it on chemo brain, but chemo ended 4 months ago. Hubby was laughing so hard he fell out of chair. He tells me all the time I'm his entertainment.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    My 5 yr old daughter very
    My 5 yr old daughter very seriously examining my reconstructed breast sans nipple and telling me "it looks like a plop of mud on your chest Mommy." That just cracked me up.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

sideways wig
    now thats funny I don't care who you are.

I walk in the bedroom get my radiation cream, get dressed, put shoes on, get purse, phone, and keys on way to rads. Husband is watching tv, asks where are you going. Open door dumdumdum it's 11:00 pm on Saturday night. I blame it on chemo brain, but chemo ended 4 months ago. Hubby was laughing so hard he fell out of chair. He tells me all the time I'm his entertainment.

Love the wig story .. I can relate .. not to mention
    Ms. Sunshine's Saturday night rad treatment.

I am a creature of habit.. so after going for 18 weeks straight for chemo treatment, I came in middle of December .. signed in, and waited. My husband and I livid, waiting 45 mintues ..patients coming in, and taken to the back for treatment .. 6 Oncologist .. What gives .. okay ready for it ... Stephanie the receptionist asked if she could help me .. and I answered yes, I'm waiting for Barbara and my chemo treatment .. she looked at me funny .. Dr. Margridal and his staff are gone this week on vacation. she thought I was there to see another doctor .. Not funny .. just embarrassing .. And yes, my husband will never ever let me live this down.

Chemo Brain ..

Vicki Sam
  • TraciInLA
    Options

My 5 yr old daughter very
    My 5 yr old daughter very seriously examining my reconstructed breast sans nipple and telling me "it looks like a plop of mud on your chest Mommy." That just cracked me up.

Duuuude, look at the pretty colors...
    I had to take steroids for about 36 hours before each chemo round, and I had what is a rare (but rather enjoyable) reaction to it: It made me stoned. I mean stoned like, duuuude, look at the pretty colors.

The first day I started taking them, I tried to call my girlfriend. Couldn't figure out why the phone wouldn't work. Probably because it was the TV remote, not the phone. Oh well, didn't really care.

That night, while getting ready for bed, I suddenly stopped what I was doing, came out of the bathroom, and gave my girlfriend a long discourse on why I love my brand of dental floss. Surprisingly, she didn't take notes, so I have no idea what I said!

I didn't paint the house and clean the patio furniture like some of you did while on steroids -- but I WAS very entertaining!

Traci
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Duuuude, look at the pretty colors...
    I had to take steroids for about 36 hours before each chemo round, and I had what is a rare (but rather enjoyable) reaction to it: It made me stoned. I mean stoned like, duuuude, look at the pretty colors.

The first day I started taking them, I tried to call my girlfriend. Couldn't figure out why the phone wouldn't work. Probably because it was the TV remote, not the phone. Oh well, didn't really care.

That night, while getting ready for bed, I suddenly stopped what I was doing, came out of the bathroom, and gave my girlfriend a long discourse on why I love my brand of dental floss. Surprisingly, she didn't take notes, so I have no idea what I said!

I didn't paint the house and clean the patio furniture like some of you did while on steroids -- but I WAS very entertaining!

Traci

After my first Bc My mammos
    After my first Bc My mammos were clean, but then I started to need biopsies, so I woke up from anesthesia during one biopsy and said to my surgeon "why dont you put a zipper in it?"
    all I remember is being put back out.
    I find many things to laugh about," if we couldnt laugh we would all go insane" Jimmy Buffet
  • cookie97
    cookie97 Member Posts: 200
    Options
    Laughter
    OMG these are some of the funniest stories i've ever heard! I love the wig story and the Saturday rad. appt. this all going to make mine sound a little lame.
    Before dx when I was having my mammogram and ultrasound they kept sending me back for more films with the mammography tech. Finally I told her that had I known she was going to take so many pictures I would have teeth whitened. She got a little chuckle out of it and I got a lot of miles with it.

Thanks ladies for sharing all your wonderful stories.
    ((((Hugs))))
    Cookie
  • SoftBallMom2
    SoftBallMom2 Member Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    cookie97 said:

Laughter
    OMG these are some of the funniest stories i've ever heard! I love the wig story and the Saturday rad. appt. this all going to make mine sound a little lame.
    Before dx when I was having my mammogram and ultrasound they kept sending me back for more films with the mammography tech. Finally I told her that had I known she was going to take so many pictures I would have teeth whitened. She got a little chuckle out of it and I got a lot of miles with it.

Thanks ladies for sharing all your wonderful stories.
    ((((Hugs))))
    Cookie

Right after my masectomy
    Right after my masectomy when they brought me to my room, I was still "goofy". I was showing anyone who wanted to see my "new" boob. I had the tram flap done so I was really impressed that it looked like a boob. My husband told me to please quit showing everybody my boob. He didn't much like that I was showing all his friends my boobs!

While in the hospital my surgeon and plastic surgeon came in the same time. The plastic surgeon told me he had a bra I could buy when I came into his office. The surgeon looked at him and said I didn't know you went into the lingerie business. Might not be funny now, you just had to be there
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I Always Laugh When...
    I'm with some of my other sisters and we are all chatting and no one can get any words out. We all just look at each other and finish each others sentences because none of us can retrieve any of the words we are looking for in our CHEMO BRAINS! It just so funny that we all know what each of us is trying to say, but can't say it! Cracks me up every time:)

Sally
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Options
    carkris said:

After my first Bc My mammos
    After my first Bc My mammos were clean, but then I started to need biopsies, so I woke up from anesthesia during one biopsy and said to my surgeon "why dont you put a zipper in it?"
    all I remember is being put back out.
    I find many things to laugh about," if we couldnt laugh we would all go insane" Jimmy Buffet

It was a week before my
    It was a week before my bilateral mastectomy, and I was in temporary quarters at work (we were moving and I was going to be out for 8 weeks, so I had a cube wherever someone was out). My 11-year-old car had failed inspection, and since it was going to cost more that it was worth to fix, I had given it to a local charity. I went in to a management meeting with a group that I had worked with for a long time, and I could tell they were concerned about me. I made the comment that I was homeless, carless and next week I'd be boobless. The air immediately cleared.

My husband and I were talking about someone getting an artificial knee or hip, and we mentioned bionic parts. And, he's had cataract surgery so he has bionic eyes. I said that I'm so glad that I don't have any artificial parts. He looked startled and stared at my breasts: what do you think those are? I replied, they aren't artificial, they're all mine. (I had DIEP surgery, and it's my own abdominal tissue).

Joyce
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    I thought and thought about
    I thought and thought about this and can't think of anything. Maybe my memory has been wiped.
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Humor
    I have got to hand it to all of you, your stories brought a smile to my face and some hearty belly laughs as well. Humor is the best medicine and laughter is great for the immune system. Keep laughing and smiling Pink warriors.
    My coworkers continue to remark that my use of humor before and after surgery, as well as during rads helped them feel better about what I was going through but for the life of me, I can't remember anything as funny as the stories you shared on this thread.
    Thanks for the smile and laughs on a very hectic and busy work day.
    Hugs, K