Going To My First RELAY FOR LIFE --- My UPDATE On How It Went! :)))))

Options

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    aisling8 said:

I get it
    For years and years I've gone to the Revlon Walk in L.A., always for and with my friend. She died three years ago and we all did it, again, for her. This year I walked for her. And for me. I was still in radiation, but I had my red survivor hat and I got my rose. I cried and cried, but it was okay. It's who I am now, a woman with cancer waiting for my dance with NED.

It will be a rich wonderful experience. Go for it!!!

xo,
    Victoria

Ritzy .. I'm right behind you next year ...
    Go for it .. I am so PROUD of you, your husband and family.

Proud to be a sister in PINK.

Thank you,

Vicki Sam
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Thank you,

Vicki Sam

Like everyone said to you
    Like everyone said to you Ritzy, you can do it! I think you will love it once you start seeing all of the other bc survivors and realize that you are one of them now!

I have been chicken about going to one, but, I hope that the one coming up in my area will inspire me enough to go to it.

Hugs, Angie
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    Kylez said:

I am sure it will be
    I am sure it will be emotional Ritzy, but, you have the strength to do it!

Just look at that crazy tail of yours swinging around! That proves you have strength!

You won't be alone. Besides your husband, family and friends, you will have us in your pocket. Remember?

♥ KYLEZ

LOL @ my tail! I was always
    LOL @ my tail! I was always going to change my picture, but, so many say it makes them smile, so, I haven't. Thanks for the reminder kylez!

Sue :)
  • Ritzy
    Options

I agree, emotional would be
    I agree, emotional would be OK.

Only you know if you could do it. I haven't done one since my diagnosis and my mom's death. I think the first one you walk in, whether it be this year, or later, it IS going to be emotional. And I think that may be good.

I know I'm not ready to go yet, but as has been said, know that when you go, we are all there with you. I think going and seeing all those luminaries, while emotional, could give you strength too.

Praying you'll have wisdom.
    dh

You're right Dawne. I am
    You're right Dawne. I am sure the first one is the hardest for us. And, even if I do get upset, like you said, maybe that is good in a way. Maybe it will just remind me how much I have endured in this journey.

Thanks for reminding me that you will all be there with me! I knew I could count on my sisters!

• Ritzy
    Options
    KayNYC said:

honored to have you bring us along
    Thanks Ritzy for taking us with you on the relay for life. It's ok to get emotional. The first Memory walk I took after my Dad passed was a tough one. When I walk this year, in the Komen walk/run, it will be my first one as a survivor. All these years I have walked in honor of my Mom. This year, I walk for me and all of the Pink Warriors at CSN.I will be looking for a relay for life in my area.
    Hugs, K

You are welcome Kay! If I
    You are welcome Kay! If I go, I wouldn't think of not taking all of you! I am sure the first walk you took after your Father passed was so rough. You had great courage Kay!

When is the Komen walk that you will be in? I want to be sure and offer you my support!

Thanks, Sue :)
  • Ritzy
    Options

Sue
    I am sure it will emotional and with support of your hubby and friends can do it. We will stay with you all the way cherishing every moment during the event. If for some reason you decide to cancel , it is OK too. Everyone will understand.

Wishing you easy time this weekend,
    Big hug,
    New Flower

New Flower, you are so
    New Flower, you are so sweet! You make me feel that if I don't go, that I won't be letting myself down, nor, all of you too, as I wanted to walk for you guys too.

You are all making me to really want to do it now. You are all so wonderful!

Thanks New Flower so much! Hey, did you take that job yet, or, are you still thinking about it? I wish you the best in that.

• Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Thank you Megan and Susan!
    Thank you Megan and Susan! I am glad to know that it isn't just me having a bad case of the nerves.

Normally, nothing really bothers me, which is why this surprises me. I am usually just happy go lucky and don't sweat over anything that comes my way anymore.

But, the closer the Relay gets, the more nervous I am.

Thanks for you kind words, both of you!

I will be taking you with me!

Thanks for taking us with
    Thanks for taking us with you Ritzy, with your tail and all! haha
  • Emilyfimily
    Emilyfimily Member Posts: 141
    Options
    It'll turn out great, Ritzy!
    I was excited but pretty scared at the same time for my first one, too, earlier this summer. But, I went anyway and was so glad I did and so glad I walked to Survivors Lap! It really was so cool to be included in the group of purple shirted Survivors and think, "yeah, I've really accomplished something!!" And it was so awesome and inspiring and encouraging to hear each Survivor state how long they've been a survivor, then step up to the mike and state my own Survivor statement, and then be able to walk that lap with all of them. I felt only good emotions, and just couldn't quit smiling the entire lap. It just felt gooooooood. :)
    I still can't explain what I felt about the luminairia. I saw my own, I saw friends' and family members' who are battling and who have already passed,... I don't know, it just really hits you. It just made me want to fight harder, live stronger, and be more involved in the fight against cancer. It was emotional, but in a very good way.
    You can do it!! :)
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Options
    Hope you enjoy it. I did but
    Hope you enjoy it. I did but was also a little aprehensive. We all have that fear of the unknown. I almost lost it while doing the survivors lap with everybody cheering for us.

Hugs

Donna
  • Ritzy
    Options
    aisling8 said:

I get it
    For years and years I've gone to the Revlon Walk in L.A., always for and with my friend. She died three years ago and we all did it, again, for her. This year I walked for her. And for me. I was still in radiation, but I had my red survivor hat and I got my rose. I cried and cried, but it was okay. It's who I am now, a woman with cancer waiting for my dance with NED.

It will be a rich wonderful experience. Go for it!!!

xo,
    Victoria

First Victoria, good luck
    First Victoria, good luck with your surgery! And soon, NED will be twirling you around the dance floor!

Just like you, if I do cry, it will be ok.

Thanks!

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    I was apprehensive but I am
    I was apprehensive but I am so glad that I went. Seeing people of every age struggling to make that lap was one of the most moving and inspiring things that I have ever seen. There was a tiny girl (about 3 or 4) struggling in a walker and teenagers with friends helping them around. It was hard not to cry but very cathartic somehow. My husband and daughter walked proudly in the caregiver lap and I was so proud. Geez, you have me crying all over again. Just do it--it will all be good!
  • Ritzy
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Thank you,

Vicki Sam

WOW VickiSam! Thanks for
    WOW VickiSam! Thanks for writing that you are proud of me, my hubby and our family.

That means a lot to me! I know what a rough time you have had and pray that you are doing much, much better now!

You go next year, and, we will all be right there with you!

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Ritzy said:

You are welcome Kay! If I
    You are welcome Kay! If I go, I wouldn't think of not taking all of you! I am sure the first walk you took after your Father passed was so rough. You had great courage Kay!

When is the Komen walk that you will be in? I want to be sure and offer you my support!

Thanks, Sue :)

Don't be nervous Ritzy! I
    Don't be nervous Ritzy! I think once you go, you will be very happy that you went.

I am sure that it is very emotional, as everyone has written, but, I think you should try.

Look at all of the support you are going to have, besides that romantic hubby of yours!

Let us know what you do and if you do go, tell us about it!

Hugs, Jan
  • Ritzy
    Options

It'll turn out great, Ritzy!
    I was excited but pretty scared at the same time for my first one, too, earlier this summer. But, I went anyway and was so glad I did and so glad I walked to Survivors Lap! It really was so cool to be included in the group of purple shirted Survivors and think, "yeah, I've really accomplished something!!" And it was so awesome and inspiring and encouraging to hear each Survivor state how long they've been a survivor, then step up to the mike and state my own Survivor statement, and then be able to walk that lap with all of them. I felt only good emotions, and just couldn't quit smiling the entire lap. It just felt gooooooood. :)
    I still can't explain what I felt about the luminairia. I saw my own, I saw friends' and family members' who are battling and who have already passed,... I don't know, it just really hits you. It just made me want to fight harder, live stronger, and be more involved in the fight against cancer. It was emotional, but in a very good way.
    You can do it!! :)

Getting less and less nervous..
    Yep Emily..I can do it! You have all been so supportive and your messages so wonderful, that I have to go! I have to take all of you with me when I walk the survivor's lap.

( or, let my hubby carry me lol )

I miss your posts Emily. You were always so funny with your Star Trek writings. How you doing?

Thanks for your supportive reply!

• Ritzy
    Options

Don't be nervous Ritzy! I
    Don't be nervous Ritzy! I think once you go, you will be very happy that you went.

I am sure that it is very emotional, as everyone has written, but, I think you should try.

Look at all of the support you are going to have, besides that romantic hubby of yours!

Let us know what you do and if you do go, tell us about it!

Hugs, Jan

I am getting less and less
    I am getting less and less nervous survivor! Mainly, because of the sweet posts from all of you. I guess strength does come in numbers, all of you!

It is strange though, because I never get nervous about anything.

Thank you!

• Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Options

I was apprehensive but I am so glad that I went. Seeing people of every age struggling to make that lap was one of the most moving and inspiring things that I have ever seen. There was a tiny girl (about 3 or 4) struggling in a walker and teenagers with friends helping them around. It was hard not to cry but very cathartic somehow. My husband and daughter walked proudly in the caregiver lap and I was so proud. Geez, you have me crying all over again. Just do it--it will all be good!

I hope to go next year...
    and I know it will be emotional, I am right now just reading all of these posts. Thank you for taking me with you and to everyone who takes us along with them.

And please don't change your picture, I love the Ritzy Cat, when I see it I think of you immediately. It is like a little beacon of welcome...

Please let us know how your day went, we'll be thinking of you.

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Options
    Hi Sue, I know what you are feeling. I Participated in the ACS Susan G Komen 5K a couple of months ago. I was really exited until just a couple of days before. I had bilateral mast. last june, did 5 months of chemo and tram-flap recon. at the end of december. I went with my sis, I didn't have much hair, and we had to walk slow, but I am really glad I went. The feeling of fear and anxiety will be replaced with feelings of pride and accomplishment. It takes a lot of fight to survive. Your a hero!
  • Emilyfimily
    Emilyfimily Member Posts: 141
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Yep Emily..I can do it! You have all been so supportive and your messages so wonderful, that I have to go! I have to take all of you with me when I walk the survivor's lap.

I miss your posts Emily. You were always so funny with your Star Trek writings. How you doing?

Aw, you're so nice - I'm
    Aw, you're so nice - I'm doing well, thanks. Gotta be in a certain mood to write funny, I guess... it'll hit me one of these days and I'll surprise you and pop out something to chuckle over. :) Take care and have a GREAT weekend!!
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Happy that you are feeling
    Happy that you are feeling better Ritzy and will do the relay. I just know you will be so happy that you did, even if it is an emotional day for you.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

You Go Girl literally! You
    You Go Girl literally! You will be fine! You have that wonderful husband to help you through it!

Hugs, Leeza