Long Term Survivor Rates

Options

Comments

• micktissue
    micktissue Member Posts: 430
    Options
    Survivors live in the variation from the median
    Stephen Jay Gould was a paleontologist most famous for developing the evolutionary theory of punctuated equilibrium. I remember studying his theory in college many years ago when I was a biology major. Anyway, he was diagnosed with abdominal mesothelioma which is linked with asbestos. He discovered that the prognosis dire: 8 months said the statistics. He lived another 20 years. He wrote a famous essay called "The Median is not the Message" and you can find it online at

http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/comment/gouldmedian.htm

It is a bit dense but he was a clever and funny writer and this essay is worth reading for anyone interested in their "statistical chances" of surviving cancer. Gould was a great man in my eyes and I've enjoyed a few of his books.

Here's an excerpt from the essay:

"Attitude clearly matters in fighting cancer. We don't know why (from my old-style materialistic perspective, I suspect that mental states feed back upon the immune system). But match people with the same cancer for age, class, health, socioeconomic status, and, in general, those with positive attitudes, with a strong will and purpose for living, with commitment to struggle, with an active response to aiding their own treatment and not just a passive acceptance of anything doctors say, tend to live longer. A few months later I asked Sir Peter Medawar, my personal scientific guru and a Nobelist in immunology, what the best prescription for success against cancer might be. "A sanguine personality," he replied. Fortunately (since one can't reconstruct oneself at short notice and for a definite purpose), I am, if anything, even-tempered and confident in just this manner."

I hope this helps anyone concerned about their chances of survival.

Best,

Mick
  • Kimba1505
    Kimba1505 Member Posts: 557
    Options

Stephen Jay Gould was a paleontologist most famous for developing the evolutionary theory of punctuated equilibrium. I remember studying his theory in college many years ago when I was a biology major. Anyway, he was diagnosed with abdominal mesothelioma which is linked with asbestos. He discovered that the prognosis dire: 8 months said the statistics. He lived another 20 years. He wrote a famous essay called "The Median is not the Message" and you can find it online at

It is a bit dense but he was a clever and funny writer and this essay is worth reading for anyone interested in their "statistical chances" of surviving cancer. Gould was a great man in my eyes and I've enjoyed a few of his books.

"Attitude clearly matters in fighting cancer. We don't know why (from my old-style materialistic perspective, I suspect that mental states feed back upon the immune system). But match people with the same cancer for age, class, health, socioeconomic status, and, in general, those with positive attitudes, with a strong will and purpose for living, with commitment to struggle, with an active response to aiding their own treatment and not just a passive acceptance of anything doctors say, tend to live longer. A few months later I asked Sir Peter Medawar, my personal scientific guru and a Nobelist in immunology, what the best prescription for success against cancer might be. "A sanguine personality," he replied. Fortunately (since one can't reconstruct oneself at short notice and for a definite purpose), I am, if anything, even-tempered and confident in just this manner."

Best,

Mick

Love this Mick!
    Thank you. I have copied and pasted this post and will share it with many. For a rock guitarist your are vast in your knowledge. Never saw that with Eddie VanHalen. :)
    Also, I have to know, is the picture pre or post C?
    Kim
  • miccmill
    miccmill Member Posts: 248
    Options

Best,

Mick

Wonderful
    The mind informs the body.
  • chris731
    chris731 Member Posts: 24
    Options

• micktissue
    Options
    Kimba1505 said:

Love this Mick!
    Thank you. I have copied and pasted this post and will share it with many. For a rock guitarist your are vast in your knowledge. Never saw that with Eddie VanHalen. :)
    Also, I have to know, is the picture pre or post C?
    Kim

my photo
    Hi Kim. My photo is early in my treatment. I think this was after my first chemo treatment so I hadn't started to lose weight or hair. I shaved my head in anticipation of losing it and because I didn't have much to begin with.

Since that photo I've lost 30 more pounds and my hair is growing back very dark. It was pretty gray before. Also I only lost hair from radiation not chemo, so I had asymmetrical patches of hair, which made me look kind of mangy. But now, on my head anyway, I have hair coming back and more of it than I had before. Strange. I still can't grow it on the sides of my face where the most radiation is and it may never return there. So now I have a 'soul patch' under my lower lip, LOL. I'll put up a new photo soon that captures my 'new normal'.

Thanks for the note about the essay. Gould was a great man and his books are wonderful reads if you're at all interested in the development of our species in geologic and social terms. I was an avid reader of such books for a while when I thought I was going to be a scientist, but I don't have the kind of temperament nor analytic brain for that kind of detailed work. I'm better working with people hence the counseling work.

As for the rock guitar status, well that's just an awesome part of my simple life. I sat in with some guys last night and jammed for a couple of hours. It is great to play and I am so grateful that I'm alive to do so.

Best,

Mick
  • Greg53
    Greg53 Member Posts: 849
    Options
    chris731 said:

Hey Mick
    Hey ya Mick!

How you doing? I know we are about the same timeline, as are a few others. But just checking where you are compared to me. Have you made it back to work yet? I'm back full-time now. I haven't gone as far as you as in starting my own company, but am definitley looking at some alternatives to what I currently do career-wise. Hope your counseling gig works out for you. I still have the ear ringing pretty bad and the phlegm and dry mouth are still issues but I've been eating better. Probably get 75% of food by mouth. Hopefully get rid of the PEG in a month or so. Plus I'm getting a lot more physical activities in these days. Walking 3 -5 miles 3 times a week; want to start running soon. Plus I'm doing weights 4 days a week. Main issue now is pain in middle of my back. I'm pretty sure it's muscle related, but go in in two weeks when I get PET results so I'll ask doc about that also. I forget, I know there are a lot of us that are 3 (+/-) months post-treatment, I wouldn't mind hearing from those also about how they're doing too, if anyone wants to share.

I heard Stephen Gould speak at a friend of mine's college commencement a long time ago. He impressed me then and I've read a few of his books. I love the guy's philosophy and his theories on life, etc. Interesting and smart guy, that's why I referred to him earlier about his outlook on his diagnosis.

Glad to hear you're playing. Hang tough bro'!

Greg
  • micktissue
    Options
    Greg53 said:

Hey Mick
    Hey ya Mick!

How you doing? I know we are about the same timeline, as are a few others. But just checking where you are compared to me. Have you made it back to work yet? I'm back full-time now. I haven't gone as far as you as in starting my own company, but am definitley looking at some alternatives to what I currently do career-wise. Hope your counseling gig works out for you. I still have the ear ringing pretty bad and the phlegm and dry mouth are still issues but I've been eating better. Probably get 75% of food by mouth. Hopefully get rid of the PEG in a month or so. Plus I'm getting a lot more physical activities in these days. Walking 3 -5 miles 3 times a week; want to start running soon. Plus I'm doing weights 4 days a week. Main issue now is pain in middle of my back. I'm pretty sure it's muscle related, but go in in two weeks when I get PET results so I'll ask doc about that also. I forget, I know there are a lot of us that are 3 (+/-) months post-treatment, I wouldn't mind hearing from those also about how they're doing too, if anyone wants to share.

I heard Stephen Gould speak at a friend of mine's college commencement a long time ago. He impressed me then and I've read a few of his books. I love the guy's philosophy and his theories on life, etc. Interesting and smart guy, that's why I referred to him earlier about his outlook on his diagnosis.

Glad to hear you're playing. Hang tough bro'!

Greg

a bit behind you
    Hey Greg. Glad to hear you're doing so well. I still cannot swallow, so everything is by tube. Dry mouth, mucus, lymphedema, muscle pain on swallowing are all contributing factors.

I just joined 24Hr Fitness and will start working out next week. I'm working on my core (abs and back), endurance (spinning), and upper body strength. I don't want to be buffed. I'm going more for the 'lean and mean' look. The coach they teamed me with is excited to be working with a cancer survivor and the staff knows me now and they are great, really supportive because they know the story. Awesome people.

I am back doing everything I used to do except cycling and work. I get too tired too soon to make it on the bike in the afternoon. I have the kids in the morning (yep, I'm a stay-at-home papa on top of everything else!) so until they're back in school, my mornings are committed to everything family and not the bike.

I am not back to work because of the spitting and hacking. Can you imagine being a client of mine and you're crying out your deepest pain and suddenly I excuse myself and hack into my spitting cup? No. Too early.

Hearing is a bit of a problem right now due to some hearing loss from chemo and a stuffed up ear, but I don't think this will impact my work much. It's usually quiet where I work.

Let's keep up the check ins!

Best,

Mick
  • Irishgypsie
    Irishgypsie Member Posts: 333
    Options

a bit behind you
    Hey Greg. Glad to hear you're doing so well. I still cannot swallow, so everything is by tube. Dry mouth, mucus, lymphedema, muscle pain on swallowing are all contributing factors.

I just joined 24Hr Fitness and will start working out next week. I'm working on my core (abs and back), endurance (spinning), and upper body strength. I don't want to be buffed. I'm going more for the 'lean and mean' look. The coach they teamed me with is excited to be working with a cancer survivor and the staff knows me now and they are great, really supportive because they know the story. Awesome people.

I am back doing everything I used to do except cycling and work. I get too tired too soon to make it on the bike in the afternoon. I have the kids in the morning (yep, I'm a stay-at-home papa on top of everything else!) so until they're back in school, my mornings are committed to everything family and not the bike.

I am not back to work because of the spitting and hacking. Can you imagine being a client of mine and you're crying out your deepest pain and suddenly I excuse myself and hack into my spitting cup? No. Too early.

Hearing is a bit of a problem right now due to some hearing loss from chemo and a stuffed up ear, but I don't think this will impact my work much. It's usually quiet where I work.

Let's keep up the check ins!

Best,

Mick

I also believe in instincts!!
    Hey everyone. I love the posts; I really can't wait to try the hot dog; especially at Yankees stadium!!. Mick your awesome, I bet your a great counselor; just an instinct! Kim your awesome too Mark is lucky to have such a fighter. As for everyone else, I consider us all survivors for fighting through this crap. I think at 38 I may be one of the youngest members on this board. I won't lie I still have days when I cry and I say why me, why now! But I think that is normal; If I didn't have those thoughts I think I would be inhuman. As a Registered Nurse I know the human body can endure a lot of crap. I also know that there are a lot of cancer survivors out there, not just head and neck either. I just feel it deep in my heart, that I have to much life to live yet, too much to give yet and too much love left in me! I know I'm going to beat this!! Anyway I guess I'm rambling, but I just wanted to contribute! Luv u guys! :)

Charles
  • stevenl
    stevenl Member Posts: 587
    Options

Hey everyone. I love the posts; I really can't wait to try the hot dog; especially at Yankees stadium!!. Mick your awesome, I bet your a great counselor; just an instinct! Kim your awesome too Mark is lucky to have such a fighter. As for everyone else, I consider us all survivors for fighting through this crap. I think at 38 I may be one of the youngest members on this board. I won't lie I still have days when I cry and I say why me, why now! But I think that is normal; If I didn't have those thoughts I think I would be inhuman. As a Registered Nurse I know the human body can endure a lot of crap. I also know that there are a lot of cancer survivors out there, not just head and neck either. I just feel it deep in my heart, that I have to much life to live yet, too much to give yet and too much love left in me! I know I'm going to beat this!! Anyway I guess I'm rambling, but I just wanted to contribute! Luv u guys! :)

Charles

Timeline
    Hey Greg,

We are about the same time line and diagnosis. My last rad was April 9th. I am back to work, started back last Tuesday and all in all I am doing well. Beginning to eat a lot more but am still pretty dry. Feeling better all the time.

Mick, it's good to hear you are getting better all be it slowly. Hang in there man.

Charles, everything you are going through we all went through- crying, anger, fear all of that B.S. But we are here and you will be too and for a long time to come!!!

Best to all,
    Steve
  • micktissue
    Options

Charles

ordeal therapy
    Hey Charles. A great anthropologist turned psychologist named Jay Haley developed a therapy he called ordeal therapy. It's a bit like some other therapies that require a tough as nails counselor to challenge "cognitive distortions" we all have from time to time.

I never considered it before, but your post has reminded me of that therapy. What we've all been through, this ordeal, has to have changed us in some way, and I hear it all the time. As well, I feel it in myself.

For example, last night I jammed with a bunch of really good players. They asked if anyone in the audience had an instrument and wanted to sit in. Well, I had mine in the car and got it and sat in. I've never done that before though I've had opportunity. The difference this time was that I had no fear. In the past I had a lot of fear about playing with people who were better than me, but something has changed.

Our ordeal, I think, has the power to help us navigate through that which we once had difficulty. I'm thinking it's because the treatment and survival has given us a perspective on life that not everyone shares. I listened to a survivor of an attempted suicide off the Golden Gate Bridge talk about how it changed him. Once he jumped and knew he was headed to his death, he knew he wanted to live so he prepared himself for impact and lived. Today his life 'force' is amazingly strong.

The metaphor that most resonates with me is the one of the Phoenix. The myth can be found in Greek, Persian, Egyptian, and Chinese oral and written histories. The story is that the Phoenix (a kind of bird, but might be a flying reptile depending on which history you read) is engulfed in flames that render it to ashes. What is left is an egg, from which the Phoenix is reborn.

I like to think that we are like that Phoenix, rising from the ashes of our ordeal and making the most of our 'second life'.

How's that for some esoteric babbling? Sheesh ...

Best,

Mick
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Options

ordeal therapy
    Hey Charles. A great anthropologist turned psychologist named Jay Haley developed a therapy he called ordeal therapy. It's a bit like some other therapies that require a tough as nails counselor to challenge "cognitive distortions" we all have from time to time.

I never considered it before, but your post has reminded me of that therapy. What we've all been through, this ordeal, has to have changed us in some way, and I hear it all the time. As well, I feel it in myself.

For example, last night I jammed with a bunch of really good players. They asked if anyone in the audience had an instrument and wanted to sit in. Well, I had mine in the car and got it and sat in. I've never done that before though I've had opportunity. The difference this time was that I had no fear. In the past I had a lot of fear about playing with people who were better than me, but something has changed.

Our ordeal, I think, has the power to help us navigate through that which we once had difficulty. I'm thinking it's because the treatment and survival has given us a perspective on life that not everyone shares. I listened to a survivor of an attempted suicide off the Golden Gate Bridge talk about how it changed him. Once he jumped and knew he was headed to his death, he knew he wanted to live so he prepared himself for impact and lived. Today his life 'force' is amazingly strong.

The metaphor that most resonates with me is the one of the Phoenix. The myth can be found in Greek, Persian, Egyptian, and Chinese oral and written histories. The story is that the Phoenix (a kind of bird, but might be a flying reptile depending on which history you read) is engulfed in flames that render it to ashes. What is left is an egg, from which the Phoenix is reborn.

I like to think that we are like that Phoenix, rising from the ashes of our ordeal and making the most of our 'second life'.

How's that for some esoteric babbling? Sheesh ...

Best,

Mick

Phoenix
    Mick,

Your mention of the Phoenix hits home. I told my son during tx that if I survived the cancer, I would get a tattoo. Hopefully, I'll need to keep that promise - not sure when I'll need to do it. A Phoenix is one of the candidates for the tat.
  • dennis318
    dennis318 Member Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Pam M said:

Phoenix
    Mick,

Your mention of the Phoenix hits home. I told my son during tx that if I survived the cancer, I would get a tattoo. Hopefully, I'll need to keep that promise - not sure when I'll need to do it. A Phoenix is one of the candidates for the tat.

I like the everyones positive outlook
    I have to offer my opinon, I have to say first we are all pretty standards here by now, I'm glad to see others make progress and get on with there lifes, i have had a support system from a lady who went threw the same stype of throat cancer on the vocal chords, squamous c cell stage 4, larynginis..this has to be close, being in remission for 2 years her cancer came back, she is scheduled for full removal of her vocal chords, double masectomy at 38, she now is same age as i am, I came home from my l/s larnyx going down and having to be fitted again with a trach, it wouldn't be so bad but to sit in a doctors office and listen to some lame excuse of how we will do this and that, and you'll be great, what a bunch of B'S!!i have just past a year of how i should feel great, i refraim to go give up and living life with a hole in my throat, and being grossed out for something that was even worsened by incompendent medical professionals, and passed around like a turkey, and be more scared, it's each invidiual and how they cope with this, there are time i thinks if we weren't told, they would have survived the cancer and lived longer, worry, you bet your butt i worry, everyday, i want to get back up or lay down, i sit here and throw phlem threw a hole, remember what iwas doing last year, a whole person, i wanna call the doctors up and ask them to come over and use this suction machine they sent me home with, so i can sleep, maybe i shouldn't be here venting, but tomorrow i lay here, cry and struggle to get dressed to hide a obstacle hanging from a skinny guy that use to feel like a human.....I enjoy everyones comments here and your feelings are similar as you care for each other...Dennis
  • davidgskinner
    davidgskinner Member Posts: 81
    Options
    Pam M said:

Phoenix
    Mick,

Phoenix, too
    I often thought of the story of the phoenix during treatment and spent many hours in the middle of the night google searching phoenix images for my future tattoo when I couldn't sleep. Funny how we have similar thoughts while so far away...Jung perhaps?
    Anyways, Pam if you find any good designs you don't mind sharing...I'd like to see them.
    And, I still cry frequently. I am getting really good at letting the tears flow when they come so that very few people notice. And if they do, I don't mind. Tears are good, like rain. We need them.
  • micktissue
    Options

Phoenix, too
    I often thought of the story of the phoenix during treatment and spent many hours in the middle of the night google searching phoenix images for my future tattoo when I couldn't sleep. Funny how we have similar thoughts while so far away...Jung perhaps?
    Anyways, Pam if you find any good designs you don't mind sharing...I'd like to see them.
    And, I still cry frequently. I am getting really good at letting the tears flow when they come so that very few people notice. And if they do, I don't mind. Tears are good, like rain. We need them.

tattoos and weeping
    I can relate to a lot in this thread. I like the Jungian angle. He called it synchronicity although perhaps in this case it's closer to another one he coined, the collective unconscious. That might better explain why the the image and story of the Phoenix occurs across cultures.

I like the idea of a Phoenix tat. Right now I am tat-less and would be interested in what designs are proposed here. It would be kind of awesome if a few of us got the same tat, huh?

I have turned into such a weepy person since getting ill. I cry at the drop of a hat these days. I think it's a combination of the perspective and joy or frustration of life and the build up of tension/stress that finds release through our tears.

When I'm with clients. especially male clients, I always say that tears are welcome and I usually celebrate the fact that crying is therapeutic.

Best,

Mick
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options

tattoos and weeping
    I can relate to a lot in this thread. I like the Jungian angle. He called it synchronicity although perhaps in this case it's closer to another one he coined, the collective unconscious. That might better explain why the the image and story of the Phoenix occurs across cultures.

I like the idea of a Phoenix tat. Right now I am tat-less and would be interested in what designs are proposed here. It would be kind of awesome if a few of us got the same tat, huh?

I have turned into such a weepy person since getting ill. I cry at the drop of a hat these days. I think it's a combination of the perspective and joy or frustration of life and the build up of tension/stress that finds release through our tears.

When I'm with clients. especially male clients, I always say that tears are welcome and I usually celebrate the fact that crying is therapeutic.

Best,

Mick

Phoenix Tats.... I like it.
    Here is one website that I found that has a huge amount of the Phoenix Tattoos. I espeically like the the tribal styles, although the ladies might like one with more color and femininity...

http://www.tattoojohnny.com/search/phoenix?page=4

I especially like the one that's the first in the 3rd row, but there are a lot of cool ones....

Maybe we could design one unique to us incorporating CSN or the ribbon symbol faded within the background....just loose thoughts being thrown out here....

John
  • Greg53
    Greg53 Member Posts: 849
    Options

tattoos and weeping

Best,

Mick

Amazing the similar thoughts
    Amazing how similar we all can be. I also was thinking about getting a tatto. Hadn't decided on what or the timeframe, but the Phoenix sounds right! I was thinking on my one year post-treatment date. Keep me in the loop if you don't mind on the tat design.

As for the crying, I was the typical guy, never did cry much before. Yesterday my neice got married. Cried at the wedding and then cried again at the reception when my other neice gave a warm tribute to her Mom, my sister, who had lost her battle with breast c a couple years ago. Even though it's only been a relativelty short time with this, in my own mind I definitely think I'm a better person, including being more emotional.

Positive thoughts...
    Greg
  • D Lewis
    D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Greg53 said:

Amazing the similar thoughts
    Amazing how similar we all can be. I also was thinking about getting a tatto. Hadn't decided on what or the timeframe, but the Phoenix sounds right! I was thinking on my one year post-treatment date. Keep me in the loop if you don't mind on the tat design.

As for the crying, I was the typical guy, never did cry much before. Yesterday my neice got married. Cried at the wedding and then cried again at the reception when my other neice gave a warm tribute to her Mom, my sister, who had lost her battle with breast c a couple years ago. Even though it's only been a relativelty short time with this, in my own mind I definitely think I'm a better person, including being more emotional.

Positive thoughts...
    Greg

Synchronicity
    I concur with Greg and Mick and everyone else here on this thread. Greg - I'm getting all misty-eyed reading about you getting misty-eyed... My girls have been pressuring me to get a tattoo after treatment, and I'd be delighted to go with the phoenix motif. I love the idea of those of us who have fought the same battle getting the same tattoo.

Deb
  • micktissue
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Here is one website that I found that has a huge amount of the Phoenix Tattoos. I espeically like the the tribal styles, although the ladies might like one with more color and femininity...

I especially like the one that's the first in the 3rd row, but there are a lot of cool ones....

Maybe we could design one unique to us incorporating CSN or the ribbon symbol faded within the background....just loose thoughts being thrown out here....

John

Hey John
    I've been looking too and the one you found is similar to others I've seen and I like it a lot. I like it because it's minimal and most of the others are too ornate for my taste. I also like the idea of incorporating the CSN or ribbon symbol. Any artists in the house?

Best,

Mick
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

John

Too many choices
    John, I checked out the website but there are so many nice ones that I can't make up my mind which one I like the best.

I especially like the idea of incorporating either the CSN or ribbon symbol in the background. If we all get them does is make us members of an exclusive gang - LOL

I'll keep checking back to see if anyone has made a decision yet.

My best to everyone,
    Glenna
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    D Lewis said:

Synchronicity
    I concur with Greg and Mick and everyone else here on this thread. Greg - I'm getting all misty-eyed reading about you getting misty-eyed... My girls have been pressuring me to get a tattoo after treatment, and I'd be delighted to go with the phoenix motif. I love the idea of those of us who have fought the same battle getting the same tattoo.

Deb

Initiation to Our Club
    The initiation to our club is pretty brutal....one that no one would wllingly want to join. But once in, you are a member for life....and if all is well, that will be for many future years.

I found another phoenix that is kind of cool also, maybe not as minimal, and a bit more scroll or monogram like though.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o123/jguiseppi/66fb70ac

Here's another I like very much....

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o123/jguiseppi/28d9bfb7

***For some reason it won't let me put the (dot jpg) behind each of those, so you'll have to do it when you copy and paste.***

I never really officially found the colors for which ribbon that would apply. From what I found, the H&N ribbon is white with a red stripe in the center.

I think a ribbon or CSN could easily be faded into the background, or if you had a problem with CSN, just CS for Cancer Survivor....

JG