Hi... I am new

il2read2
il2read2 Member Posts: 29
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi,

I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer on April 5. Bilateral mastectomy on April 16.

I am wanting to be able to talk to others that know how I am feeling emotionally and physically. I've been reading your posts for the past few days and wanted to get connected.

Love and hugs to all,

Jan

Comments

• tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    right place
    Hi Jan ... I'm sorry about your diagnosis ... but you've come to the right place. I couldn't have gotten through the past year without this discussion board. This is a safe place to come ... for whatever is on your mind. Everyone is here to share their exeriences, their knowledge and support. This is the best place for "virtual" hugs you'll ever find. It seems that no matter what time of day or night you log in ... someone is always here for you. You can vent ... have your own pity party ... share good news ... or anything. Although none of us is happy for what brought us all together ... we are grateful to this wonderful support network ... so ... welcome to the family.

hugs.
    Teena
  • SunnieC
    SunnieC Member Posts: 37
    Welcome
    I am sad that you have had to join us but happy that you found this site - please know that we are all here for you with lots of hugs and caring support - please make sure you have a good support system - family and friends alike - no feelings, emotions, reactions, questions are too small or should be ignored - ask for what you need, feel what you do, and take the time to enjoy yourself when you can -

Health and happieness to you...
    Sunnie
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Welcome! You have come to
    Welcome! You have come to the right place, we can all relate to what you are going through right now. But, somehow we have all managed to pull through. You will realize that you are stronger than you think. Do you know what your treatment plan will be as far as chemo and radiation. It is probably all overwhelming right now. What state do you live in, I am in Pennsylvania.
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Hi, Jan!
    I am pretty new, too...I had my bilateral mastectomy on January 29th and go for my 4th round out of six xhemo tomorrow. I had perused several discussion boards and never really got involved but somehow, when I found this one, I just found the "veterans" so inspiring that I had to sign up. I have found it a great emotional release to see the questions every day (some of which were on my mind and I never really thought to ask), the compassion, and the great news when someone graduates. It all makes me feel like there is no question too stupid to ask, no problem you can't vent about, and that we can all get through this with our support at home and each other.

Welcome!
  • il2read2
    tgf said:

right place
    Hi Jan ... I'm sorry about your diagnosis ... but you've come to the right place. I couldn't have gotten through the past year without this discussion board. This is a safe place to come ... for whatever is on your mind. Everyone is here to share their exeriences, their knowledge and support. This is the best place for "virtual" hugs you'll ever find. It seems that no matter what time of day or night you log in ... someone is always here for you. You can vent ... have your own pity party ... share good news ... or anything. Although none of us is happy for what brought us all together ... we are grateful to this wonderful support network ... so ... welcome to the family.

hugs.
    Teena

Thank you for your response.
    Thank you for your response. I am still so overwhelmed I haven't quite gotten my head wrapped around my near future...

Jan
  • il2read2
    SunnieC said:

Welcome
    I am sad that you have had to join us but happy that you found this site - please know that we are all here for you with lots of hugs and caring support - please make sure you have a good support system - family and friends alike - no feelings, emotions, reactions, questions are too small or should be ignored - ask for what you need, feel what you do, and take the time to enjoy yourself when you can -

Health and happieness to you...
    Sunnie

I do feel I have a wonderful
    I do feel I have a wonderful support system. However, I also feel that I have to be the strong one and don't really know how long I can last. I still haven't really cried even yet. Hope it will be okay to let my real feelings show here.

Thanks..
    Jan
  • il2read2
    meena1 said:

Welcome! You have come to
    Welcome! You have come to the right place, we can all relate to what you are going through right now. But, somehow we have all managed to pull through. You will realize that you are stronger than you think. Do you know what your treatment plan will be as far as chemo and radiation. It is probably all overwhelming right now. What state do you live in, I am in Pennsylvania.

It is very encouraging to
    It is very encouraging to see how so many people have pulled through. I know I am strong, but.... the unknown is hard, as I am sure you know. I will have chemo. I assume it will start in another week or two. As far as radiation, I am right on the border, so I don't know yet if that will be an option. Yes, I don't really think my mind has grasped everything yet. I live in Colorado.

Jan
  • il2read2

Hi, Jan!
    I am pretty new, too...I had my bilateral mastectomy on January 29th and go for my 4th round out of six xhemo tomorrow. I had perused several discussion boards and never really got involved but somehow, when I found this one, I just found the "veterans" so inspiring that I had to sign up. I have found it a great emotional release to see the questions every day (some of which were on my mind and I never really thought to ask), the compassion, and the great news when someone graduates. It all makes me feel like there is no question too stupid to ask, no problem you can't vent about, and that we can all get through this with our support at home and each other.

Welcome!

Thank you for your warm
    Thank you for your warm welcome.

Jan
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Warm welcome, Jan
    We're all here to support and encourage each other. Even if we're blessed with wonderful family and friends who stand by us, there is so much about the experience that cannot be truly understood by others who don't actually travel the journey. Glad you found us, though sorry for the reason.

Best wishes to you, and...

Kind regards, Susan
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    il2read2 said:

Thank you for your response.
    Thank you for your response. I am still so overwhelmed I haven't quite gotten my head wrapped around my near future...

Jan

Hi Jan and welcome to the
    Hi Jan and welcome to the club noone wants to join. But, you have come to a great site with lots of support, advice, help and encouragement.

Good luck to you!
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441

Warm welcome, Jan
    We're all here to support and encourage each other. Even if we're blessed with wonderful family and friends who stand by us, there is so much about the experience that cannot be truly understood by others who don't actually travel the journey. Glad you found us, though sorry for the reason.

Best wishes to you, and...

Kind regards, Susan

Hi Jan
    so sorry you have to

Hi Jan
    so sorry you have to be here but you will find much comfort from the wonderful people on this site.
    They have helped me so much since i joined. We are all in the same boat in one way or another and just to talk and vent and cry to people on here is a great thing. We all listen and we all know what you and others like us are going through.

I see you live in Colorado? Im in the UK but i have a great friend in Colorado called Michele Martineau. She runs the COURAGE IS MY HOPE fund and website. Have you heard of her? She is currently in Baja in an off-road ralley to spread the word of her charity and to raise money and get sponsorship. She too had bilateral mastectomies (like myself) and she has been there for me since day 1 of my journey.

well feel free to let your real feelings flow on here Jan.

((hugs))

Kay
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Welcome Jan!
    It is definitely okay to show your true feelings here! We have all been diagnosed or care for people who have been,so we totally get what you are going through. That's the beauty of this board!Share or ask questions-whatever comes to mind.
  • Fabu
    Fabu Member Posts: 29

Welcome Jan!
    It is definitely okay to show your true feelings here! We have all been diagnosed or care for people who have been,so we totally get what you are going through. That's the beauty of this board!Share or ask questions-whatever comes to mind.

Hi Jan
    Jan,

I definetely know how overwhelming this experience can be. This board is wonderful. I had my double masectomy on 2/26 with reconstruction and have started chemo this past Tuesday.
    Everyone on this board is so kind and gracious and offer such wonderful support and advice.

Blessings to you and now you can always get on this wonderful board to vent and ask questions.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Welcome, Jan
    It's hard when you feel you must be strong for your family. A lot of us have felt that way. But don't be afraid to be the vulnerable one, either. Let that wonderful family support you in this. You're allowed to feel frightened and uncertain. In fact, allowing yourself the full measure of feeling now will actually help you deal with everything later on. I learned that the hard way. Hope you are healing well from surgery. Ask anything that occurs to you.

Mimi
  • SunnieC
    SunnieC Member Posts: 37
    mimivac said:

Welcome, Jan
    It's hard when you feel you must be strong for your family. A lot of us have felt that way. But don't be afraid to be the vulnerable one, either. Let that wonderful family support you in this. You're allowed to feel frightened and uncertain. In fact, allowing yourself the full measure of feeling now will actually help you deal with everything later on. I learned that the hard way. Hope you are healing well from surgery. Ask anything that occurs to you.

Mimi

Where in Colorado are you Jan?
    I too am in Colorado and would be happy to be a support for you...

Sunnie
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Welcome
    Though, as others have said, I'm sorry for the reason that brought you here, I'm so glad you found this resource that has been a godsend to so many of us.

Please come back as often as you like to ask questions, vent, and share in the victories.

Cindy
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    il2read2 said:

It is very encouraging to
    It is very encouraging to see how so many people have pulled through. I know I am strong, but.... the unknown is hard, as I am sure you know. I will have chemo. I assume it will start in another week or two. As far as radiation, I am right on the border, so I don't know yet if that will be an option. Yes, I don't really think my mind has grasped everything yet. I live in Colorado.

Jan

Welcome, but
    Welcome to your new home away from home, but I'm so sorry for the reason you're here. This will at times become your favorite place to be. As everyone else said you can cry here, laugh here, vent here and feel free to be just as strong or not as you're feeling at the moment. We've all been there. I too am the strong one in the family. I often found that sometimes maintaining that place helped. There were times I felt scared or down but didn't want my husband or granddaughters (who live with us) to see it, so hiding it or saying the "right thing" to them would convince me at that moment. Other times though I really needed to be needy and scared, and while my family understood and were there for me -- this was really the place to be then. Everyone here has -- been there done that -- and are more than willing to help.
    You're right, your mind hasn't fully grasped this situation you find yourself in, but maybe sometimes that's a good thing.
    You're stronger than you know right now and you will get through this.
    Remember to ask your medical team ANYTHING that confuses or concerns you.
    Above all be good to yourself.
    You'll get through it and find that this time before treatment starts is the worst.
    By the way, I'm in Colorado Springs, are you close by?
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    Hi
    Hi Jan,

Sorry you need to be here but, glad you've found us. You will find love and acceptance as well as get LOTS of answers for your many questions. This is a safe place to 'let it all out'. No one will judge you and many have probably felt much as you do.

Hugs, El
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member

Hi
    Hi Jan,

Sorry you need to be here but, glad you've found us. You will find love and acceptance as well as get LOTS of answers for your many questions. This is a safe place to 'let it all out'. No one will judge you and many have probably felt much as you do.

Hugs, El

Hi Jan
    Not to much for me to say that has not already been said. I just wanted to welcome you.
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Hey Jan
    I am new too. Had diagnosis in Jan. and surgery in March, lumpectomy. I had my first chemo treatment today. I am not sure how much help I can be since I am new too. I can tell you this you did come to the right place there are wonderful ladies here. Best of luck and God Bless
    Boppy