My mom passed away...

Options

Comments

• brenda247
    brenda247 Member Posts: 124
    Options
    SORRY!!
    im so sorry to hear that about your mom. my prayers are with you! I understand how your kids must feel its so hard with them too! you take care of yourself and know that you are now fighting for your mom as well sure she would want that!!

prayers are with you !!!
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    Liz, It's hard losing a mom.
    Liz, It's hard losing a mom. Mine died of ovarian cancer when she was 82. She was diagnosed too late. They did surgery and started her on chemo but she was just too far gone. She died shortly after the first chemo treatment. Two years later I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I was 52. My tumor was 6cm and 3cm, her's was the size a small basketball. Partly the difference is age and what kind of shape you were in and how advanced the cancer was when diagnosed. The best thing you can do is take care of yourself and make sure you don't get run down. Sorry for your loss.

Here is something that happened to me while I was going through chemo. Believe it, or not but I'm telling you in the hope that it will give you comfort.

"One day I was feeling pretty bad. I was feeling sorry for myself because I didn't have my Mom alive to comfort me. Later I had this experience: While just waking but not quite awake, I felt a pressure on my forehead like someone was touching it and feelings of comfort flooded my body. I lay still to see what would happen next and it lasted for a minute or so and than stopped at the same time as the pressure on my forehead stopped."

I don't know who sent the waves of comfort. But I know your mom still exists. She's out of pain.
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    So sorry
    My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time.

I hope your daughter is recovered enough for you to give each other big comforting hugs during this difficult time.

I'm sure it's doubly distressing to worry about your little ones and want to calm their fears even when you still have fear yourself, but try to keep in mind that as you recover and get stronger they will also see that you are not your mother and that you have the strenght to overcome this beast and be with them for many, many, many years to come.

Take care,
    Cindy
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    Options

So sorry
    My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time.

I hope your daughter is recovered enough for you to give each other big comforting hugs during this difficult time.

I'm sure it's doubly distressing to worry about your little ones and want to calm their fears even when you still have fear yourself, but try to keep in mind that as you recover and get stronger they will also see that you are not your mother and that you have the strenght to overcome this beast and be with them for many, many, many years to come.

Take care,
    Cindy

Everyone, thanks!
    Everyone, thanks! It really helps to hear from other cancer survivors about what we are fighting for. Thank you for reminding me that I am not my mother and that her situation doesn't have to be mine/ours. Hearing from those of you who have also lost loved ones to cancer as you are battling your own has inspired me to stay focused on the present and point myself forward. Thank you for understanding and showing such deep compassion. I truly appreciate you! Liz
  • ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646
    Options
    pitt said:

Everyone, thanks!
    Everyone, thanks! It really helps to hear from other cancer survivors about what we are fighting for. Thank you for reminding me that I am not my mother and that her situation doesn't have to be mine/ours. Hearing from those of you who have also lost loved ones to cancer as you are battling your own has inspired me to stay focused on the present and point myself forward. Thank you for understanding and showing such deep compassion. I truly appreciate you! Liz

So sorry
    hugs to you and your family. remenber all the love you to had for each other .I am sorry
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Options
    pitt said:

Everyone, thanks!

Liz, my heart goes out to
    Liz, my heart goes out to you and your family at the loss of your mother. My mother was dxed at 62 and battled bc for 7 years before it was over. I was her caregiver and at her side for the last 2 months of her life. We took the time to say everything that we needed to say to each other. I never regret that time we had together but I still mourn her loss. I have to tell you tho she has never really left me. I feel her presence often. When I was dxed in Sept. I fell apart for awhile. Then a calm came over me like she was saying, "it's going to be alright. You can do this". My children had a hard time too because they remember what their grandmother went thru and they think it'll be the same for me. I don't have the same cancer my mother had. We can do this, Liz! WE CAN DO THIS, LIZ! WE CAN DO THIS,LIZ! YES, WE CAN!!!
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    Sunrae said:

Liz, my heart goes out to
    Liz, my heart goes out to you and your family at the loss of your mother. My mother was dxed at 62 and battled bc for 7 years before it was over. I was her caregiver and at her side for the last 2 months of her life. We took the time to say everything that we needed to say to each other. I never regret that time we had together but I still mourn her loss. I have to tell you tho she has never really left me. I feel her presence often. When I was dxed in Sept. I fell apart for awhile. Then a calm came over me like she was saying, "it's going to be alright. You can do this". My children had a hard time too because they remember what their grandmother went thru and they think it'll be the same for me. I don't have the same cancer my mother had. We can do this, Liz! WE CAN DO THIS, LIZ! WE CAN DO THIS,LIZ! YES, WE CAN!!!

Liz
    I am very sorry for you loss. My heart goes out to you and your family.
    Best memories of your mother will help you going through your own treatment and win this battle.
    Hugs
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    so sorry pitt
    and that sounds so darned inadequate in these circumstances. But know that you have my heartfelt sympathy and good wishes to you and your family. Hard as it is losing your mother (I can only imagine, but did lose my dad right during my mom's and my cancer diagnosis), you must remember to keep up your strenght for your own continued treatment.
    Just remember to keep your docs informed of your history so they can also be ever vigilant in your care.
    Don not feel sorry for giving sad news, that is what we are here for.
    Take care of you and yours
    =^..^=
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options

Liz
    I am very sorry for you loss. My heart goes out to you and your family.
    Best memories of your mother will help you going through your own treatment and win this battle.
    Hugs

Liz
    My heart goes out to

Liz
    My heart goes out to you. I know that in addition to your loss you are worried that you children will compare Grandma's cancer to yours. You need to sit down with them and make it clear that they are two very different cancers and even if they were the same, you are two different people. Even if they don't express it, I am sure that they will have worries and concerns. And it is good that you see that you and your mom and your diagnoses are different. There is no good time to lose someone we love but it would be especially hard in the middle of your own battle. Be kind to yourself right now. And know that you need all your strength to fight and to help your children. That is what your mom would truly want, you to fight and win. As far as tomoxifen, it can cause uterine cancer (in rare instances) but you will be closely monitored. But if you decide you don't wish to use it that would be a choice also. And you might consider removing the ovaries etc and using arimidex instead. These are all choices but not ones you need to make right now. You are right, one bullet at a time.
    My kindest thoughts are with you and your family. I know that I still miss my mom but that day by day, year by year, my happy memories are replacing my sorrow.
    Stef
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411
    Options
    cats_toy said:

so sorry pitt
    and that sounds so darned inadequate in these circumstances. But know that you have my heartfelt sympathy and good wishes to you and your family. Hard as it is losing your mother (I can only imagine, but did lose my dad right during my mom's and my cancer diagnosis), you must remember to keep up your strenght for your own continued treatment.
    Just remember to keep your docs informed of your history so they can also be ever vigilant in your care.
    Don not feel sorry for giving sad news, that is what we are here for.
    Take care of you and yours
    =^..^=

As Teena said
    You are not your Mother and your purpose is and life is different than hers. I lost my Mother to Breast Cancer so when I was DX I was convinced I was going to suffer the same fate... Guess What God's plan for me is different. And so is yours. I am praying for you and your Family!!

Calleen
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Prayers are with you and your family.
    Hi, liz,I cryed when reading your post.I am so sad to hear about your Moms passing.My Mom passed away 30 yrs. ago.I was 22 yrs. old.And I know how hard it is.I will pray for you and your family.My Mom also had BC and Liver Cancer.We just have to find strengh to go on and keep fighting.And you will,because she would want you two.I know it isn,t easy.Love and prayers going your way.(Pat).
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    ppurdin said:

Hi, liz,I cryed when reading your post.I am so sad to hear about your Moms passing.My Mom passed away 30 yrs. ago.I was 22 yrs. old.And I know how hard it is.I will pray for you and your family.My Mom also had BC and Liver Cancer.We just have to find strengh to go on and keep fighting.And you will,because she would want you two.I know it isn,t easy.Love and prayers going your way.(Pat).

so sorry
    Dear Pitt,

My heart sank when I read your news. I am so sorry. Know that you, your family and especially your girls are in my prayers. so sorry ...

Love,
    dh
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    ppurdin said:

Wish I were there to give you a hug
    Liz, I wish I could send you a hug through cyberspace right now....I can't imagine how difficult this must be for your family, especially you and your girls.

Try to focus first and foremost on taking gentle care of yourselves right now -- I'm sure that's what your mom would want.

As far as the Tamoxifen, like Stef said, there are other options, which I'm sure you'll discuss with your doctor when the time comes. But it won't do you or anybody else ANY good for you to spend time or mental energy worrying about that right now, so please try not to.

One last thing: I'm the Memorial Service Coordinator for my church -- while every church or funeral home is different, if I can offer any "professional" advice, please PM me anytime.

Take good care of you,

Traci
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    So sorry, Liz
    My condolences to you on this big loss in your life. My mom is the same age now and it hurts to think of her sick or dying. I'm sure you will handle your children's questions with the same grace you've shown through your own diagnosis and treatment. It's a tough time for you right now, but I have no doubt you will get through with your family.

As for Tamoxifen, you will be watched very closely, especially considering your family risk. If your oncologist thought the risk was bigger than the benefit, he/she would have discussed an AI with you. That's always an option, too. You are doing all you can to fight this beast.

I wish you peace. My thoughts are with you and your family today.

Mimi
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    Dear Liz, I am so very sorry
    Dear Liz, I am so very sorry for the loss of your Mom. I know it is so difficult to lose a parent. Especially dealing with your own cancer it seems like too much for a person to bear at once. I wish you strength and peace during this sad time.

As for the tamoxifen, I am taking it and I too was concerned about the connection to uterine cancer. The docs assured me that it is only about 1% risk, but even a tiny risk can be frightening. I do want to share something though. My gynecologist does a trans vaginal ultrasound with every anual pap smear. He feels it is essential for detecting early ovarian problems. It also reveals any thickening of the uterine wall which could possibly indicate uterine cancer at its earliest stages, perhaps at the point of just hyperplasia.

If you do go on tamoxifen you should look into finding a doc that will do this. Mine does not charge his patients or their ins. companies for the test. He does it because he believes it is necessary.

Liz, I am praying for you and your family as you recover from your loss. Eil
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Eil4186 said:

Dear Liz, I am so very sorry
    Dear Liz, I am so very sorry for the loss of your Mom. I know it is so difficult to lose a parent. Especially dealing with your own cancer it seems like too much for a person to bear at once. I wish you strength and peace during this sad time.

As for the tamoxifen, I am taking it and I too was concerned about the connection to uterine cancer. The docs assured me that it is only about 1% risk, but even a tiny risk can be frightening. I do want to share something though. My gynecologist does a trans vaginal ultrasound with every anual pap smear. He feels it is essential for detecting early ovarian problems. It also reveals any thickening of the uterine wall which could possibly indicate uterine cancer at its earliest stages, perhaps at the point of just hyperplasia.

If you do go on tamoxifen you should look into finding a doc that will do this. Mine does not charge his patients or their ins. companies for the test. He does it because he believes it is necessary.

Liz, I am praying for you and your family as you recover from your loss. Eil

Eli
    Good for your doctor for

Eli
    Good for your doctor for being so alert to this and doing the ultrasound. Uterine cancer has some very distinct symptoms but ovarian does not. Glad he is so on top of this. And yes it can detect changes in the thickening of the wall.
    Stef
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    fauxma said:

Eli
    Good for your doctor for

Eli
    Good for your doctor for being so alert to this and doing the ultrasound. Uterine cancer has some very distinct symptoms but ovarian does not. Glad he is so on top of this. And yes it can detect changes in the thickening of the wall.
    Stef

Eli sounds like you have a
    Eli sounds like you have a great doc. Liz been thinking of you. its so hard to lose your mom,I lost my dad when i was pregnant, with my first child. I would have such a hard time losing my mom. Your cancer is different and they will monitor you. I have been feeling overwhelmed lately and if I think to much about what is next it drives me nuts, so one day at a time, little pieces, You can always decide later with your docs what you want and have a plan for monitoring. Try to take care of what you are doing now and being good to yourself. I hope your family is feeling better . and you did not get sick. Peace and hugs
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    fauxma said:

Eli
    Good for your doctor for

Eli
    Stef

Liz
    Liz,
    You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry for the loss of your mom. She will live forever in your heart and your family's hearts. Memories can not be taken away.

Love,
    Margo
  • helen e
    helen e Member Posts: 223
    Options

Liz
    Liz,
    You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry for the loss of your mom. She will live forever in your heart and your family's hearts. Memories can not be taken away.

Love,
    Margo

So sorry
    Liz,

My mother has emphysema and has been in the end stages for about 4 years now. She is starting to lose her memory and not eating, I'm pretty sure she won't last another year. In August my husband lost his mother unexpectedly then I was diagnosed with cancer. Life is extremely hard sometimes and I believe the line - If God can bring you to it, He will bring you through it. This must be a taxing time on your family and I wish you all the best. I send hugs and prayers to all your family.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options

Oh Liz :(
    Good morning Liz, I lost my Mom to lung cancer almost two years ago, she was 62. It's ok to break down, I was the strong one trying to help my brothers through it and when I finally broke down It was really bad. I thank the good Lord above that I wasn't going through breast cancer at the same time. You have a full plate, come here often, cry when you need too and know that you are in the prayers of many!! We always worry about our kids, they are our world, and we are their caretakers, it's not easy to not worry. I'm sending big hugs your way for you and your family, you are in my prayers!
    ((Hugs))
    God Bless,
    Kari

So very sorry, will keep you
    So very sorry, will keep you in my prayers. I also lost my Mom to lung cancer that spread to her brain. I know how hard it is. Just take a day a time. Make sure you take care of yourself.Hugs