Newbies - introduce yourselves

Options

Comments

• mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options

I've posted a few times on other threads, but realized that I've never introduced myself.

I'm 50 years young, living in So. Cal., married to a wonderfully supportive husband, and I was diagnosed with low grade invasive ductal carcinoma on September 2, 2009. Just completed my lumpectomy this past Monday with clear margins around a 1.3 cm tumor with no lymph node involvement. I'm looking forward to meeting with my medical oncologist soon (my surgeon will refer me at my surgical follow-up tomorrow) to plan the rest of my treatment, which will definitely include rads. I've already talked to my surgeon about the Oncotype test, and he said that my medical oncologist will order it.

A big THANK YOU to all who have come here, old and new, to post questions I might never have thought of, and to provide answers, support, and laughs to all of us with this common bond.

Cindy

Welcome to all!
    I hope you all find what you're looking for on this site. We are a diverse group of women and men of all ages, stages, circumstances, and views. We have our Californians, our Midwesterners, our New Englanders, our Canadians, and even those from across the pond. We have Stage 0-4, lymph node involvement, no lymph node involvement, estrogen positives, and negatives. We have our retired ladies, our working moms, our single and fabulous women, as well as those who've been married for decades.

If you have a problem, it's probable that someone here has had it, too. So ask away and welcome to our community.

Mimi
  • patti anne
    patti anne Member Posts: 101
    Options
    mimivac said:

Welcome to all!
    I hope you all find what you're looking for on this site. We are a diverse group of women and men of all ages, stages, circumstances, and views. We have our Californians, our Midwesterners, our New Englanders, our Canadians, and even those from across the pond. We have Stage 0-4, lymph node involvement, no lymph node involvement, estrogen positives, and negatives. We have our retired ladies, our working moms, our single and fabulous women, as well as those who've been married for decades.

If you have a problem, it's probable that someone here has had it, too. So ask away and welcome to our community.

Mimi

New
    I am new to the site and have been browsing for a couple of weeks now. I wish I would have thought to seek out this support during chemo and radiation.

My name is Patti and I was dx in January of this year. The left breast was removed, along with 13 lymph nodes. Tested positive in 2 of them. I did the 16 weeks of AC-T chemo and then did 6 weeks of radiation. I am now researching my options for reconstruction and that's what led me to this site. I thought I wanted implants, but now, I don't know. I do know that I want the other breast removed, but that's about all I know right now. :)

A little background...I'm 43 and the mother of 5. 4 girls and 1 boy. We currently live in VA and will probably stay here for a while (my husband is in the Marine Corps). Three of my girls are off in college. The house sure does feel empty and it is SO quiet.

That's it in a nutshell. I'm just so confused on what is the "right" thing to do regarding surgery.

Thanks,
    Patti
  • brenda247
    brenda247 Member Posts: 124
    Options
    hi pitt
    I dont think i have been introduced to you but Im happy to do so.. My name is Brenda and I have been here for bout 5 months now. I had stage 2 breast cancer. Had a mastectomy on april 20 2009 with 3 limpnodes removed and clean. I was sent to the onocolgy because of the kind it was aggressive & invasive they advised me to take treatments it could come back. I took my last chemo on oct 1 2009 and still getting a kick in the butt my counts are WACKY and I have had 2 transfusions of platelets.. Just when I thought the bad was over I got another KICK!! The dr said it affects everyone differently so the we take the good with the bad!! I have been on chat alot and met some awesome people and they have helped me alot but I didnt know bout the discussion boards til recently.. There are some awesome people here and I wanna thank them all for the support they gave me it helped me to be stronger than I ever thought I could.. I am so glad to take the time to meet you and talk to ya soon!!!

Take Care
    Brenda
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    Options
    brenda247 said:

hi pitt
    I dont think i have been introduced to you but Im happy to do so.. My name is Brenda and I have been here for bout 5 months now. I had stage 2 breast cancer. Had a mastectomy on april 20 2009 with 3 limpnodes removed and clean. I was sent to the onocolgy because of the kind it was aggressive & invasive they advised me to take treatments it could come back. I took my last chemo on oct 1 2009 and still getting a kick in the butt my counts are WACKY and I have had 2 transfusions of platelets.. Just when I thought the bad was over I got another KICK!! The dr said it affects everyone differently so the we take the good with the bad!! I have been on chat alot and met some awesome people and they have helped me alot but I didnt know bout the discussion boards til recently.. There are some awesome people here and I wanna thank them all for the support they gave me it helped me to be stronger than I ever thought I could.. I am so glad to take the time to meet you and talk to ya soon!!!

Take Care
    Brenda

Hi Brenda. Congratulations
    Hi Brenda. Congratulations on finishing up chemo. I'm sorry it is still causing you some issues. I hope that resolves itself very soon for you. I have only entered the chat room once. I'm still not sure if I was using it right. I may venture in there again this weekend when I have more time to focus. Hopefully I'll find you there. Feel better, Pitt
  • Darlene_Mays
    Darlene_Mays Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Newbie response
    Hi, My name is Darlene, and I joined in January 2010. I was diagnosed w/triple negative breast cancer in December (Merry Christmas!) Have since had lumpectomy, etc. and will begin lst round of chemo on 2/1.
    I get great comfort from this site, and reading about the strengths you all have...you are amazing. Will continue to post and read! Thanks for the support! Hugs () () ()
  • rrogers34
    rrogers34 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    My name is Becky
    I am 51 years old, and was diagnosed on Neovember 24, 2009. Last February I went for my yearly exam and an had a mamo. The Doc said it was fine. He did a manual exam and felt a lump in the lower part of my left breast. He said he thought it was nothing but referred me to a breast Oncologist Surgeon. She did a Fine needle Biopsy and said, we could take it out, but she really thought it was a fibroidaneoma. I went back every three months to have it checked. They did Ultra sounds and they came out fine. In November, I had another FNB and ultrasound. From that she was concerned. We decided regardless to take it out. My surgery was scheduled for Dec 9th. She had me come back for a core biopsy so there would be no suprises. It came back Invasive ductal cancer. At that point they thought I was stage 2. Per my path report I was stage 1. The Core biopsy had made the lump appear larger. They sent me to have and MRI and found something in my right breast. I wanted a mastecomy, however she said the cancer was so small that it wasnt necessary. They did a core biopsy on my rt breast.
    We agreed that if it came out okay I would have lumpectomy and the lump in the right would be removed as well. It came out benign so I had a lumpectomey on the left and removal of the lump on the rt. I had no lymphnode involovement.
    I had the surgery and the path report showed that I was ER+Pr+ and Her2+. I had my hair clipper cut on January 6th, my Port put in Jan 7th and my first Chemo Jan 8th. I went back to work on Jan 13th. Way to soon. I worked half days for the next week and now I am back full time doing very well. (under the circumstances). I had my second Chemo Jan 26th. Only this morning am I seeing that the hair on my head is falling out.
    I am on Carboplatin, Taxotere & Herceptin. I have Herc weekly and all three every three weeks. I have a step- daughter from a previous marriage with three beautiful Grandsons, I have 3 step-sons who all live in Florida and are in College. They are great. I have neices and nephews and great neiced and nephews who are all like my own children. I am a christian and have tremendous faith in Jesus Christ. I like everyone, is scared, wanting so much to stay positive and be a support for others. I met a lady Tuesday who is on the same thing I am and she was on her last treatment (Taxotere-Carboplatin) and will continue with Herc for a year. She said she had done really well. She had 6 treatments which is what I will have.
    I have learned from this site, a wealth of information, tremendous support, and feel as though we are all family. We are in this together, we fight together, we cry together, we support one antoher, we pray for one another. We celebrate victories, we cry over disappointments or set-backs. But we always get back up and keep going. I dont like the reason I found this website, but I am blessed to have found all of you! i especially appreciate those who have completed treatment and still offer advise and words of comfort.
    Thank you so much for being there for me and for each other. Your all amazing.

God Bless each of you!
  • pmartens
    pmartens Member Posts: 6
    Options
    New to this too
    Hi I am 56 years old and was just diagnosed with DCIS December 29, 2009. Today was my first radiation treatment and it wasn't to bad. My surgeon when doing my surgical biopsies, cleared the margins and I did not need any further surgery. I was so shocked that I had breast cancer, but have to be thankful to the radiologist who read my mammogram and the breast surgeon for an early diagnosis.
    I understand radiation is not so bad, and I am thankful that no chemo is involved.
    I have two children a daughter who is married and fighting her own battle with a rare liver disease and infertility. And a son who lives in Colorado and is unemployed. So need less to say I need to stay strong and around for them. I have a great husband who is sometimes overly supportive( Like wanting to come into the radiation therapy session.) Great neighbors and friends and the "Pink" things are just starting to arrive.
    I am also a clothes horse, so I have put together my radiation outfits!!
    I love this website and look at it everyday.
  • lisasmit
    lisasmit Member Posts: 11
    Options
    New
    My name is Lisa and I have posted a couple of times. I am 50 years old, in Michigan which is very cold, and work teaching elementary school science. I have a husband who works out of town all work week, sons who are 19 (at college) and 22(living on his own). They are all being wonderful, finding ways that they can all adapt to help in what ever ways they can.

I was DX the week after Thanksgiving with a very high grade, Triple neg, stage 2 tumor. I had a partial mastectomy, tests, port, etc. Chemo starts TOMORROW morning I am taking TAC in 6- 3 week cycles, then radiation. I am nervous, but more confident because of hints, explanations, stories and support that I have found at this discussion board. Thank you so much.

Lisa
  • angel143
    angel143 Member Posts: 41
    Options
    lisasmit said:

New
    My name is Lisa and I have posted a couple of times. I am 50 years old, in Michigan which is very cold, and work teaching elementary school science. I have a husband who works out of town all work week, sons who are 19 (at college) and 22(living on his own). They are all being wonderful, finding ways that they can all adapt to help in what ever ways they can.

I was DX the week after Thanksgiving with a very high grade, Triple neg, stage 2 tumor. I had a partial mastectomy, tests, port, etc. Chemo starts TOMORROW morning I am taking TAC in 6- 3 week cycles, then radiation. I am nervous, but more confident because of hints, explanations, stories and support that I have found at this discussion board. Thank you so much.

Lisa

I have been a member since June 09
    I have been a menber since June o9. I am around and have been reading the thread, it's just that I am not posting. Though the sharing of the chemo chicks and the pink ladies experiences have been giving inspiration, lessons and encouragement. I enjoin when sad stories are told and at times I found myself crying too. Maybe because I feel the same agony and wanted to symphatize.

My name is angel, I was dx with BC stage 2 at the start but my onc told me after the 4 round of chemo that it is stage 3 bec. there is still lymp node involve that shows in the MRI. I had lumpectomy the I decided to have mastectomy after a month and a half, bec the surgeon told me that I will not undergo radiation if I will just have mastectomy. And I thought I am on the safer side if I have it. I am saddened of that lymp node. It was difficult to accept, because all I thought I am almost to the finish line and that radiation will still be part of the treatment plan. Then, maybe another surgery. I hope I will receive a miracle. I pray that the lymp node will be negative when I will have a needle biopsy after the chemo treatment. Right now I finish 6 rounds of chemo, I will have the 7th next week.

I am keeping my faith. I know that God loves us and taking care of us. Your stories have touched me and inspired me to go on and fight to live.
    I commend you pink ladies. Your bravery have always make me think that I have a support group to hang on.

I include you too in my prayers.
  • Maize
    Maize Member Posts: 76
    Options
    angel143 said:

I have been a member since June 09
    I have been a menber since June o9. I am around and have been reading the thread, it's just that I am not posting. Though the sharing of the chemo chicks and the pink ladies experiences have been giving inspiration, lessons and encouragement. I enjoin when sad stories are told and at times I found myself crying too. Maybe because I feel the same agony and wanted to symphatize.

My name is angel, I was dx with BC stage 2 at the start but my onc told me after the 4 round of chemo that it is stage 3 bec. there is still lymp node involve that shows in the MRI. I had lumpectomy the I decided to have mastectomy after a month and a half, bec the surgeon told me that I will not undergo radiation if I will just have mastectomy. And I thought I am on the safer side if I have it. I am saddened of that lymp node. It was difficult to accept, because all I thought I am almost to the finish line and that radiation will still be part of the treatment plan. Then, maybe another surgery. I hope I will receive a miracle. I pray that the lymp node will be negative when I will have a needle biopsy after the chemo treatment. Right now I finish 6 rounds of chemo, I will have the 7th next week.

I am keeping my faith. I know that God loves us and taking care of us. Your stories have touched me and inspired me to go on and fight to live.
    I commend you pink ladies. Your bravery have always make me think that I have a support group to hang on.

I include you too in my prayers.

Hi
    My name is Mary. I found this site early after my diagnosis. I had a routine wellness exam 10/09. The doctor did not feel anything when he did breast exam. After my mammogram, I got a call. I was told that the radiologist saw something which was not on my last mammogram. I went back for another mammo and sonogram. I was told that it was suspicious and I need to go for biopsy. My primary dr. referred me to surgeon who sched. the biopsy 11/09. The results infiltrating ductal carcinoma 1.9mm. I had lumpectomy 12/8/09. 2 sentinel and 1 axcillary nodes were remove. The 2 SN had traces of cancer and the AN was clear-stage IIa. The doctors wanted to do additional surgery to remove more LNs---I hesitated because of what I had read. 1/21/10, I had surgery to removed additional nodes. They were clear. I am scheduled to begin chemo 2/17. I will have radiation after chemo. I am having pain in my arm. My cancer was half the size they thought. It was .9 cm with clear margins. MRI, chest x-ray, blood tests, MUGGA scan and PET scan were all clear. My cancer was in lower median right breast. The doctor was surprised that the mammo picked it up as it was almost on bra line. This site has been a tremendous help.

I am older than most, if not all, of you. I turned 63 on 12/24. I have an adult son. I live in northern Louisiana. He lives in south Louisiana. I have a supportive family and friends. I am widowed. I feel blessed and very thankful.
  • ak_survivor
    ak_survivor Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Maize said:

Hi
    My name is Mary. I found this site early after my diagnosis. I had a routine wellness exam 10/09. The doctor did not feel anything when he did breast exam. After my mammogram, I got a call. I was told that the radiologist saw something which was not on my last mammogram. I went back for another mammo and sonogram. I was told that it was suspicious and I need to go for biopsy. My primary dr. referred me to surgeon who sched. the biopsy 11/09. The results infiltrating ductal carcinoma 1.9mm. I had lumpectomy 12/8/09. 2 sentinel and 1 axcillary nodes were remove. The 2 SN had traces of cancer and the AN was clear-stage IIa. The doctors wanted to do additional surgery to remove more LNs---I hesitated because of what I had read. 1/21/10, I had surgery to removed additional nodes. They were clear. I am scheduled to begin chemo 2/17. I will have radiation after chemo. I am having pain in my arm. My cancer was half the size they thought. It was .9 cm with clear margins. MRI, chest x-ray, blood tests, MUGGA scan and PET scan were all clear. My cancer was in lower median right breast. The doctor was surprised that the mammo picked it up as it was almost on bra line. This site has been a tremendous help.

I am older than most, if not all, of you. I turned 63 on 12/24. I have an adult son. I live in northern Louisiana. He lives in south Louisiana. I have a supportive family and friends. I am widowed. I feel blessed and very thankful.

hi
    My name is Lynn and I live in Alaska. I had a bilateral mastectomy (with lymph node removal and ovaries), Nov 14 2009. It's been a battle for me, funny thing is everyone around me thinks I should be the poster child for breast cancer since I took it "so well". Think most of you know what I'm talking about, when I say, did I really?... I have 6 wonderful sons, 1 daughter and a wonderful grandson, some where in there is a husband and a few pets. I have decided it's reconstruction time, only because my scars burn all the time since the skin is now glued to the muscle.Hope I get to chat with some of you and see how well others are doing.
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    Options
    Newbie but Not New To Cancer
    I guess my first introduction got lost in cyber space. I don't have the mental energy to repeat what I typed, so I will be brief (if that is possible for me).

First cancer, which was calcification (not a tumor) was diagnosed Spring 2009 as 0 Stage DCIS. After core biopsy and 2 surgical biopsies in April 2009, margins still were not clear. Infection then occurred and I had to heal from the inside out and no one could touch until I healed. After much research, I switched to one of the top hospitals in Chicago, and chose a oncologist surgeon and plastic surgeon, both excellent and wonderful doctors, I aggressively opted to have both breasts removed (the cancer breast and the good breast). I had reconstruction and am happy with results.

What I want to say is that with the first cancer I did everything myself and had no support group, that is no cancer support group. My family, close friends, and acquaintenaces were all wonderful and supportive. While in breast reconstruction (which took 2 years) I had to have both tissue expanders removed due to infections, left breast 5 weeks after mastectomy and right breast 7 weeks after mastectomy. Because my mastectomy was 0 Stage, DCIS with no cancer present in breast at time of mastectomy and sentinent lymph nodes free of cancer, I did not have to have chemo or radiation. Consequently, as time passed I felt like a cancer imposter because I did not have chemo and radiation when many women did go through those treatments. When I said that statement to my plastic surgeon and his nurse, the nurse responded, "But you did forfeit your breasts." That I did!

Recurrence invasive cancer - 1% category for recurrence with 0 Stage, DCIS. We are not educated on the signs for recurrence. We should also take responsibility for being educated, but most cancer literature is geared to the first time cancer and it puts us in a safe zone after all treatment has been concluded. I do not believe in fear but I do believe in knowledge. I had the recurrent growth on my scar for months and thought it was an irritation to the stitches beneath the scar. I was waiting for it to disappear, just like the irritation had disappeared from my scar on the good breast while in the tissue expansion phase. What is worse, I touched it daily and looked at it daily through a 7X magnification mirror and never dreamt that it was cancer. Had I known that a recurrence could appear on the scar, I would have made a dash to the doctor's office. Instead I waited for an annual physical scheduled with my plastic surgeon. I initially told him that as long as I have the implants, I want to see him once a year. Thank goodness I believe in annual physicals.

Second time around I am diligently seeking support groups as well as seeking information on this site. I joined this network on my 69th birthday, January 14 and am very pleased and impressed with the women on this site. They are caring, supportive, willing to share information and knowledge, plus warm and friendly.

I also work a full time job as an administrative assistant and in the past 1-1/2 years I took 3 classes at a junior college - Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe InDesign. I initially planned on working till I reached the age of 70, but that is around the corner. I then told the owners that I was considering working to the age of 75. They responded that as long as I could do the work, I had a job. What I love about work is learning. I am always learning. I also plan on living into my 90's and I want to be in the best possible shape and health when I reach my 90's.
  • kms3566
    kms3566 Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Hi Pitt, my name is Karen,
    Hi Pitt, my name is Karen, i'm 42 and I found the lump myself around Thanksgiving. Two weeks ago I had a mammogram, ultrasound core biopsy and results came back positive, invasive ductal carcinoma. I am having a bilateral mastectomy today. I can't start reconstruction right away due having to have my lymph nodes checked. This site is wonderful, I have been reading alot since diagnosed and have gathered tons of info and it has also helped me to stay positive. Well time to get ready to go to the hospital, I am so nervous, never had any type of sergeroy before. Will post more in a few days.
  • GrandmaJ
    GrandmaJ Member Posts: 209
    Options

Newbie but Not New To Cancer
    I guess my first introduction got lost in cyber space. I don't have the mental energy to repeat what I typed, so I will be brief (if that is possible for me).

First cancer, which was calcification (not a tumor) was diagnosed Spring 2009 as 0 Stage DCIS. After core biopsy and 2 surgical biopsies in April 2009, margins still were not clear. Infection then occurred and I had to heal from the inside out and no one could touch until I healed. After much research, I switched to one of the top hospitals in Chicago, and chose a oncologist surgeon and plastic surgeon, both excellent and wonderful doctors, I aggressively opted to have both breasts removed (the cancer breast and the good breast). I had reconstruction and am happy with results.

What I want to say is that with the first cancer I did everything myself and had no support group, that is no cancer support group. My family, close friends, and acquaintenaces were all wonderful and supportive. While in breast reconstruction (which took 2 years) I had to have both tissue expanders removed due to infections, left breast 5 weeks after mastectomy and right breast 7 weeks after mastectomy. Because my mastectomy was 0 Stage, DCIS with no cancer present in breast at time of mastectomy and sentinent lymph nodes free of cancer, I did not have to have chemo or radiation. Consequently, as time passed I felt like a cancer imposter because I did not have chemo and radiation when many women did go through those treatments. When I said that statement to my plastic surgeon and his nurse, the nurse responded, "But you did forfeit your breasts." That I did!

Recurrence invasive cancer - 1% category for recurrence with 0 Stage, DCIS. We are not educated on the signs for recurrence. We should also take responsibility for being educated, but most cancer literature is geared to the first time cancer and it puts us in a safe zone after all treatment has been concluded. I do not believe in fear but I do believe in knowledge. I had the recurrent growth on my scar for months and thought it was an irritation to the stitches beneath the scar. I was waiting for it to disappear, just like the irritation had disappeared from my scar on the good breast while in the tissue expansion phase. What is worse, I touched it daily and looked at it daily through a 7X magnification mirror and never dreamt that it was cancer. Had I known that a recurrence could appear on the scar, I would have made a dash to the doctor's office. Instead I waited for an annual physical scheduled with my plastic surgeon. I initially told him that as long as I have the implants, I want to see him once a year. Thank goodness I believe in annual physicals.

Second time around I am diligently seeking support groups as well as seeking information on this site. I joined this network on my 69th birthday, January 14 and am very pleased and impressed with the women on this site. They are caring, supportive, willing to share information and knowledge, plus warm and friendly.

I also work a full time job as an administrative assistant and in the past 1-1/2 years I took 3 classes at a junior college - Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe InDesign. I initially planned on working till I reached the age of 70, but that is around the corner. I then told the owners that I was considering working to the age of 75. They responded that as long as I could do the work, I had a job. What I love about work is learning. I am always learning. I also plan on living into my 90's and I want to be in the best possible shape and health when I reach my 90's.

Newbie since November
    My name is Judy and I live in PA. I am married, have two grown, married children and one beautiful granddaughter. I was diagnosed from routine mammogram in July, one day before my birthday! I wish I would have found this site then. July was the toughtest month with all the tests and doctor appointments and feeling so alone. The lump was 2.5 cm and I was started on 5 cycles of chemotherapy, Cytoxan and Taxotere. The tumor shrunk to 1.3 cm and was removed during lumpectomy in Dec. I start radiation next Monday. I have continued to work through all of this but am hoping to retire soon. It really does hit you like a ton of bricks and turns your whole life upside down, doesn't it ? Right after I was diagnosed, my sister in law was also diagnosed with bc, but she did not need chemo. The one good thing is that we have had each other to lean on through this process.

For some reason I am more afraid of the radiation than I was of chemo, though that was not an easy journey either... but I know I'll get through it. Thanks to everyone for all the good information and support.

Judy
  • Angel_4_James
    Angel_4_James Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Been here since Nov. 09
    I am so thankful for this site. I have not posted a lot, but I sure have read a lot and have been so blessed by so many here. Like the others have said "Welcome to the site no one wants to belong to", but you will be blessed being here. We are here to help each other through this adventure we must go though.

I will be 47 in 24 days. Yikes!! LOL I had just returned from a missions trip on 9-22-09 and had a routine mamagram done on 10-1 and was called back in on 10-2. After some testing I was told on 1-14 I had BC. Had a lumpectomy and a LN removed on 10-29. The LN was clean and so was the margins around the lump. But thanks to my HER2 being positive I am having to do chemo. Had my first treatment the 12th of Jan and my second one will be this coming Tuesday. I did really well with the treatment, had a few rough days following but I God is good and He has been taking care of me. Every day I have gain strength and I have been trying to get rest and plenty of fluids in my system before we go for round 2! : ) After I do 6 rounds every 3 weeks I will have to do 5 or 6 weeks, 5 days a week of rads and continue the Herceptin till the end of the year. But one day at a time and trying to live it to the fullest. My onc told me not to live in a bubble, but to live life!

I have a very wonderful, supportive husband and 6 wonderful children, 25,23,19,13,11,7 (the 23 adn 11 year olds are my girls) that are helping me through this adventure. We homeschool our younger 3 and my 19 year old is still at home..........well till April 6 when he goes off to the Army. So I have lots of help and thankful for it. I am a "do my self type person" and I am being taught to let others take care of things. I am the Wednesday night childrens leader. We bus in about 40 kids and feed them and have our own Praise and Worship and classes then we take them back home. So I am always busy and having to learn not to be. I have been listening to my body and resting when it tells me too. I know it is important in order to get through this.

Thank you for Pitt for suggesting this post of getting to know each other. It does seem to help clear you head when you post and everyone is so kind to let you just say what you are feeling. Thank you all so very much.

God bless and big hugs
    Angel
  • kimber10
    kimber10 Member Posts: 47
    Options

Been here since Nov. 09
    I am so thankful for this site. I have not posted a lot, but I sure have read a lot and have been so blessed by so many here. Like the others have said "Welcome to the site no one wants to belong to", but you will be blessed being here. We are here to help each other through this adventure we must go though.

I will be 47 in 24 days. Yikes!! LOL I had just returned from a missions trip on 9-22-09 and had a routine mamagram done on 10-1 and was called back in on 10-2. After some testing I was told on 1-14 I had BC. Had a lumpectomy and a LN removed on 10-29. The LN was clean and so was the margins around the lump. But thanks to my HER2 being positive I am having to do chemo. Had my first treatment the 12th of Jan and my second one will be this coming Tuesday. I did really well with the treatment, had a few rough days following but I God is good and He has been taking care of me. Every day I have gain strength and I have been trying to get rest and plenty of fluids in my system before we go for round 2! : ) After I do 6 rounds every 3 weeks I will have to do 5 or 6 weeks, 5 days a week of rads and continue the Herceptin till the end of the year. But one day at a time and trying to live it to the fullest. My onc told me not to live in a bubble, but to live life!

I have a very wonderful, supportive husband and 6 wonderful children, 25,23,19,13,11,7 (the 23 adn 11 year olds are my girls) that are helping me through this adventure. We homeschool our younger 3 and my 19 year old is still at home..........well till April 6 when he goes off to the Army. So I have lots of help and thankful for it. I am a "do my self type person" and I am being taught to let others take care of things. I am the Wednesday night childrens leader. We bus in about 40 kids and feed them and have our own Praise and Worship and classes then we take them back home. So I am always busy and having to learn not to be. I have been listening to my body and resting when it tells me too. I know it is important in order to get through this.

Thank you for Pitt for suggesting this post of getting to know each other. It does seem to help clear you head when you post and everyone is so kind to let you just say what you are feeling. Thank you all so very much.

God bless and big hugs
    Angel

Hi Ive been here since June
    Hi Ive been here since June I dont post much but I do come here every night and read.I have alot of support from my family but I'm such a wreck emotionally that every time I try to talk to anyone about it I just break down crying, I know I need to pull it together and I do realize that it could have been sooooooooooooo much worse I had a bilateral mastectomy in July after a lumpectomy in May but no radition and no chemo so for that I am thankful. It does make me feel better to read the posts and hopefully have something helpful to share that can help someone else.
    Thanks
    Kim
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options

Been here since Nov. 09

God bless and big hugs
    Angel

This site taught me everything
    Hi,

I am somewhat overwhelmed of the number of newbies. I wouldn't wish this upon my worst
    enemy and to see you all here, just breaks my heart. I feel like we need to make some noise
    and bring to people's attention just how many of us are out there. I would love to attend the
    3 day but am not capable of doing it right now, but I will in the near future.

November 23rd, 2009 is my black day, the day I got diagnosed with breast cancer. I found the lump
    myself and while I wanted to believe it was nothing, it sure didn't feel like nothing, especially
    when I felt it grow larger and become hard. The rest is water under the bridge.

I am one of the single and fabulous ladies on this site but have found some amazing
    people that will stand by me through this nightmare. It was a big life time adjustment
    let me tell you, men calling me in the middle of the night, to see how I do, then I realize
    it's just a doctor and it's time to run to the pharmacy again.... no late night cocktails.

No children, probably won't have any, would be crazy to risk recurrence. But open for
    adoption, I do love those little people with the big mouths.

So again, while I hate to see you all on here, I guess that can't be changed so all
    we can do is make each other laugh and make this a little more bearable.

Ayse
  • cathyp
    cathyp Member Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    aysemari said:

This site taught me everything
    Hi,

I am somewhat overwhelmed of the number of newbies. I wouldn't wish this upon my worst
    enemy and to see you all here, just breaks my heart. I feel like we need to make some noise
    and bring to people's attention just how many of us are out there. I would love to attend the
    3 day but am not capable of doing it right now, but I will in the near future.

November 23rd, 2009 is my black day, the day I got diagnosed with breast cancer. I found the lump
    myself and while I wanted to believe it was nothing, it sure didn't feel like nothing, especially
    when I felt it grow larger and become hard. The rest is water under the bridge.

I am one of the single and fabulous ladies on this site but have found some amazing
    people that will stand by me through this nightmare. It was a big life time adjustment
    let me tell you, men calling me in the middle of the night, to see how I do, then I realize
    it's just a doctor and it's time to run to the pharmacy again.... no late night cocktails.

No children, probably won't have any, would be crazy to risk recurrence. But open for
    adoption, I do love those little people with the big mouths.

So again, while I hate to see you all on here, I guess that can't be changed so all
    we can do is make each other laugh and make this a little more bearable.

Ayse

Newbie to site, not cancer
    I am a 20 yr reoccurring Hodgkins Lymphoma Survivor. Most likely a result of radiation treatments, I was DX'd w/Invasive Ductual Carcinoma and my only treatment option was mastectomy w/a strong recommendation from all my docs to not connsider reconstruction. I started my journey at 29 and am now 49. Along w/BC, cardiac issues have arised from being a "long term" survivor of Hodgkins Lymphoma. BC surfaced at age 47.
    I could not receive radiation treatments or chemo. Tamoxifen presented problems after 2 months, I stopped. So the only "treatment" I have had is the 2X mastectomy.
    I lurk on this board to see if anyone else fits my profile, so far, not yet!
    Best wishes to all of you ladies and gents.
    Cathy
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    cathyp said:

Newbie to site, not cancer
    I am a 20 yr reoccurring Hodgkins Lymphoma Survivor. Most likely a result of radiation treatments, I was DX'd w/Invasive Ductual Carcinoma and my only treatment option was mastectomy w/a strong recommendation from all my docs to not connsider reconstruction. I started my journey at 29 and am now 49. Along w/BC, cardiac issues have arised from being a "long term" survivor of Hodgkins Lymphoma. BC surfaced at age 47.
    I could not receive radiation treatments or chemo. Tamoxifen presented problems after 2 months, I stopped. So the only "treatment" I have had is the 2X mastectomy.
    I lurk on this board to see if anyone else fits my profile, so far, not yet!
    Best wishes to all of you ladies and gents.
    Cathy

Warm welcome...
    ... to all the new members who've posted on this thread. Though sorry for the reason - am glad you found this site, glad you found us.

We're all here to support and encourage each. A breast cancer diagnosis unites us all - doesn't matter what type, what stage, which treatments...

Many - including me - believe this to be the best available online BC support group. Hope you will agree, if you don't already.

I was diagnosed when 45 years old - am now a 6+ year survivor. I joined to mark my five year anniversary for completion of active/invasive treatment (lumpectomy, chemotherapy and radiation).

Again, warm welcome.

Kind regards, Susan
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    svitola said:

HI
    Hi!
    My name is Valeria and I live in Guatemala (Central America), my mom who is 62 was diagnose with stage III breast cancer. Today was her 9th Chemo with Herceptin and Taxol. She will be with this for a total of 12 weeks and then change to FEC for another 12 weeks. Then she will have a total bilateral masectomy.
    She was diagnose in Guatemala and went to the MD Anderson for an appointment with an oncologist to define the protocol.
    I am 37 years old, and It has been really hard and painful for me to accept the situation. My mom is doing great, but I sometimes get really sad, I don't want her to suffer, and I don't know how to cope with it.
    I love her so much!
    Sorry for my english, it is a little rusty!

I think your English is
    I think your English is great, svitola! :)

I'm in my 30's and I've walked with my mom through her bc, stage IV, dx in 2000. It is hard, but the best advice I can give you is just be there for your mom. Your physical presence means so much. Be there when she needs to vent, to cry. Just be there. That's the best gift you can give your mom through this besides praying for her.

Best wishes,
    dh