I do not need "Good Luck" or sympathy from anyone please, that does not help me, Please help me wit

Options

Comments

• blazytracy
    blazytracy Member Posts: 157
    Options
    mickeymom said:

That's alot!
    Wow, you've been through a lot for such a short time. I was diagnosed in early April and had surgery in late May. I did 8 rounds of chemo (4 A/C and 4 Taxol) over 16 weeks. I just finished chemo last week. I start radiation sometime next month. It's very normal to want to know what to expect and to try to see where you're headed. That much information can be very overwhelming and I would encourage you to try to take it one treatment at a time. Each one has it's own situations and everyone has different reactions. This is a good place to ask questions. There are alot of good people here with a lot of answers.

Right now I hope you will try to focus on recovering from your surgery. Lots of rest, water and proteins to help you heal. You will definately want to get as much of your strength back as possible before chemo. You didn't say if you still have drains or if they took lymph nodes. Try to get information from your surgeon about getting your mobility back in your shoulder and arm and how to deal with the swelling that can happen. If you can do physical therapy, do it. It helped me feel better physically and I was very grateful for that once chemo started.

Chemo takes a big toll on your body but that can be very different depending on what drugs you get, how you react, what kind of schedule you're on. Once you know the details of your chemo, ask more questions. Somebody here has been through it.

The road you've started down is a long one and there will be a lot to learn. I think you're on the right track trying to find out as much as you can.

thanks mickeymom
    I have had a modified radical masectomy (which means the whole breast and all of the lymph nodes under my arm on my right side). I still have a drain because it has only been 4 days since my surgery. I see my oncologist on Thursday the 1st of Oct. to discuss lab results and when to start the chemo. During my surgery, unfortunately, they cut a nerve that they were not supposed to so instead of using my arm now like I was told I was going to have to do after my surgery, I am in a sling and am told NOT to use my arm for 3 weeks. They had to have a special surgeon come into my my operating room and "stitch" my nerve that they cut by mistake back together with 2 stitches. So I am pretty sure that I will be going to physical therapy after I get my drain out. I do realize that the road will be long and very tough and that is why I am sure that I will rely on this site quite a bit. Thank you for your info, I appreciate it. I hope that we can write again.
  • blazytracy
    Options

You are going to win
    Hi Tracy and welcome,
    You are not alone here and there are people who can help and support you. You can find many inspirational stories and make friends.
    I discovered a lymph-node lump myself about year ago at the age of 46. It was stage I on Mammogram and changed to III C after radical mastectomy. I had skin re-excision in addition to mastectomy and 6 cycles of Chemo, 36 radiation treatments and on hormonal therapy now.
    I never wanted people to feel sorry for me. Emotional determination and positive attitude both are very important in battling cancer. You can do it, we can help!

thanks new flower
    I will meet with my surgeon this Thursday to find out if there are more extensive results from my surgery this last Thursday. I hope that I don't get any more surprises. I have a long road in front of me and I am glad that I joined this support group.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    I was stage 3a and had two
    I was stage 3a and had two lymph nodes with cancer out of 15 removed. But I had chemo first to shrink the tumors of 6cm, 3cm and a smaller one. Mine was grade 3. Then after surgery 4 more cycles of chemo and then radiation. I had treatment in 2003/2004.
  • blazytracy
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

Adding my welcome
    Just wanted to add my welcome. I am usually one of the night owls (cancer definitely messed up my internal clock).
    I was disgnosed, had quadrenectomy, had radiation, started Tamoxifen and will have surgery to remove my ovaries next week. It's been a long 4 months.
    Somehow, we all manage to get through it! For me, having everyone here made a huge difference. So come back any time and for any reason.
    Pammy

thanks akiss4me
    I am also a night owl but I guess i don't understand what you mean by quadrenectomy? (I'm sorry) I have heard that ovary removal is recommended??? What stage were you diagnosed? I want to talk to someone.
  • blazytracy
    Options
    zahalene said:

Can't really add anything....
    to these comments, except to say that my diagnosis was very similar to yours. Twenty-three years ago. Hope that offers a bit of encouragement. Email me here if you care to.

thanks zahalene, cute picture
    Thanks alot for writing to me! I am anxious to hear more about your condition. I am so amazed that you are still on this site if your "situation" happened 23 years ago. Wow! Now you have my attention.
  • blazytracy
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

I was stage 3a and had two
    I was stage 3a and had two lymph nodes with cancer out of 15 removed. But I had chemo first to shrink the tumors of 6cm, 3cm and a smaller one. Mine was grade 3. Then after surgery 4 more cycles of chemo and then radiation. I had treatment in 2003/2004.

thanks marcia527
    I guess I still don't know how many exactly lynph nodes WERE removed but I have an appt with my surgeon on Thursday. I know by the Pet Scan that 3 were involved. I had one lump, or should I say tumor I guess, of 5.3 cm. I still will go thru chemo and radiation. I think, that the surgery, which happened 5 days ago now, is probably going to be the easiest part??? I am so glad that people on this site are still here even after treatment. I am interested in hearing more please.
  • jennajude2
    jennajude2 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi,
    I got done with chemo in

Hi,
    I got done with chemo in May of 2009, had a masectomy in Jan 2009.
    Chemo exhausted me, I slept 18-20 hrs out of the day, when I could.
    Part of that was posibly depression.

Mind set is a part of it, I'd try to keep as normal as possible, and if you have fear of dying, etc. I would talk to suportive friends/family.
    That fear alone can wear you out.
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    Options
    Hi.. welcome...
    I am also

Hi.. welcome...

I am also stage 2b.. with grade 3 cancer cells... I had a double mastectomy 2/27/09 with expander reconstruction. and finished my 8 chemo treatments aug 25.. I did 4 treatments of dose dense AC (adromycin and cytoxin) and 4 treatments of taxotere.. I am at #10 radiation treatment out of the 30 ordered. I am a mother of 3 and 36.. and until the time of diagnosis I was the primary bread winner in my home....I will have my exchange with the silicone implants in Dec...

Have they told you what chemo drugs you'll be taking?? Each drug has different side effects and we can better help you with what you might expect if we know that drugs you'll have.. are you getting a port-a-cath? I had one.. I was not given a choice. My oncologist would not start chemo till it was in place.

This disease takes so much from each of us.. and It does help to talk with other woman who are walking the same road as you.. Its a total rollercoaster ride.. one most of us NEVER thought we'd be on (I have no breast or any other cancers in my family). You will sometimes feel like you have multipersonality disorder and its hard in the beginning to file your feelings so your all over the place. Than if your pre-menopausal, you have the joy of dealing with chemo induced menopause. and the fun chemo brain, which make you feel like you have early alz.

Just know your not alone...
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Welcome blazytracy
    sounds like you have already received plenty of that from all here, but I am chiming in too. We have all, to some extent, been where you are right now.
    Knowing what to expect from here on out is going to depend on you, your diagnosis, and your chemo cocktail. That differs with everyone, and we all react differently to it.
    I had a partial mastectomy 3/22/07, 4 A/C - 4 Taxol, 35 radiation and 5 boosters, which all finished up in mid December 2007. Was able to work full time through it all, and found this wonderful group of Warriors somewhere along the way.
    I will say good luck with all to come, we will be here for any questions, jokes, venting, etc. Take care and let us know how it goes for you.
    Cat
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options

thanks marcia527
    I guess I still don't know how many exactly lynph nodes WERE removed but I have an appt with my surgeon on Thursday. I know by the Pet Scan that 3 were involved. I had one lump, or should I say tumor I guess, of 5.3 cm. I still will go thru chemo and radiation. I think, that the surgery, which happened 5 days ago now, is probably going to be the easiest part??? I am so glad that people on this site are still here even after treatment. I am interested in hearing more please.

Well, I had 4 cycles of A/C
    Well, I had 4 cycles of A/C before surgery and after surgery 4 cycles of Taxotere. I was a stage 3a and was downsized to stage 2b after the surgery. After the last chemo I had 6 weeks of radiation.

I had a very hard time with all the treatment but just took it one day at a time and now can barely remember it. Everybody reacts differently. I was very sick on chemo but my sister is going thru chemo now and is not sick at all. Just a little tired. When I went thru chemo they were just coming out with a new anti-nausea medication and I don't think I got it. She is on Emend and not having any problems. Things have improved.
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Tracy... no comments, my
    Tracy... no comments, my situation is different than yours... but I did want to welcome you..I am sorry for the reason that you had to find us, just as I am for all the other members here, but I am so glad that you did find us... you won't find a better group for understanding...(and I mean the "they get it" type)... support... encouragement... information and friendship... No one is ever alone here... post often... when ever you feel like it... we're all here for eachother...and now that means you too.

Gentle hugs,

~T
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options

thanks zahalene, cute picture
    Thanks alot for writing to me! I am anxious to hear more about your condition. I am so amazed that you are still on this site if your "situation" happened 23 years ago. Wow! Now you have my attention.

Z is
    here to give her wisdom and give us hope that we can make it as well-aren't you,Z?!!
  • blazytracy
    Options
    e_hope said:

Hi.. welcome...
    I am also

Hi.. welcome...

I am also stage 2b.. with grade 3 cancer cells... I had a double mastectomy 2/27/09 with expander reconstruction. and finished my 8 chemo treatments aug 25.. I did 4 treatments of dose dense AC (adromycin and cytoxin) and 4 treatments of taxotere.. I am at #10 radiation treatment out of the 30 ordered. I am a mother of 3 and 36.. and until the time of diagnosis I was the primary bread winner in my home....I will have my exchange with the silicone implants in Dec...

Have they told you what chemo drugs you'll be taking?? Each drug has different side effects and we can better help you with what you might expect if we know that drugs you'll have.. are you getting a port-a-cath? I had one.. I was not given a choice. My oncologist would not start chemo till it was in place.

This disease takes so much from each of us.. and It does help to talk with other woman who are walking the same road as you.. Its a total rollercoaster ride.. one most of us NEVER thought we'd be on (I have no breast or any other cancers in my family). You will sometimes feel like you have multipersonality disorder and its hard in the beginning to file your feelings so your all over the place. Than if your pre-menopausal, you have the joy of dealing with chemo induced menopause. and the fun chemo brain, which make you feel like you have early alz.

Just know your not alone...

thanks e_hope
    You tell it like it is and I like that. I have my appt with my surgeon tomorrow (one week ago I had the modified radical masectomy) and meet with the Oncologist and the Radiologist on the 13th. I have no idea yet what my regimen will be other than I will have Chemo first. Yes, I am pre-menopausal and have an appt with gynecology coming up also..What is the chemo brain? Do you mind if I add you as a friend?
  • blazytracy
    Options
    cats_toy said:

Welcome blazytracy
    sounds like you have already received plenty of that from all here, but I am chiming in too. We have all, to some extent, been where you are right now.
    Knowing what to expect from here on out is going to depend on you, your diagnosis, and your chemo cocktail. That differs with everyone, and we all react differently to it.
    I had a partial mastectomy 3/22/07, 4 A/C - 4 Taxol, 35 radiation and 5 boosters, which all finished up in mid December 2007. Was able to work full time through it all, and found this wonderful group of Warriors somewhere along the way.
    I will say good luck with all to come, we will be here for any questions, jokes, venting, etc. Take care and let us know how it goes for you.
    Cat

thanks cats_toy
    Most of what you have said is all Greek to me...hahahahaha... I meet with my Oncologist and Radiologist on Oct 13th, all I know right now is that Chemo will be first. I am sure that it will be quite a tough road ahead but I do trust my doctors. I plan on going wig shopping soon (whoo hoo) You are lucky to be done with it all, I can't wait for that day!
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options

thanks akiss4me
    I am also a night owl but I guess i don't understand what you mean by quadrenectomy? (I'm sorry) I have heard that ovary removal is recommended??? What stage were you diagnosed? I want to talk to someone.

Quadrenectomy
    That is where they removed a 1/4 of my breast (upper outer quadrant) and in the process you get a breast lift! The only problem, my other boobie is jealous now. I was a stage 1, grade 3, IDC and LCIS, ER/PR+ Her2nu-, no node involvement and clean margins. Whew...that is a mouthful!
    The reason I am having my ovaries removed is twofold. One, it removes most of the estrogen from my body and two, they lite up on the PET/CT scan I had done before surgery. They are hoping they will only find cyst, but there is a 5-10% chance I have ovarian cancer as well. I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago, but left my ovaries in.
    I just finished with radiation and am taking Tamoxifen. I am anxious to get everything done with as it has been a long 4 months. If your cancer is hormone receptive, you do have a higher risk of ovarian cancer. Since I had already had a hysterectomy, I would have removed my ovaries anyway, even if they didn't light up. It would have been just one more tool in my arsenal.
    Hope I was of help to you. Trust me, you will learn alot on this site, but always trust in your Doctors advice as well. In my case, ALL my Docs were in agreement with my ovaries.
    Pammy
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Options
    Been there doing that
    Well welcome to the site of hope, inspiration, support and love. You will get more advice and support here than any other place. You have family to support you, but this answers your and your families questions.
    I have stage 3 ductal and have finished my 6th round of chemo and have 2 rounds left. I will go to radition with more knowledge than I've recieved from my rad doc. This IS the site to be on. Good luck, and again welcome. Katz
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    Options
    Blazytracy.... chemo brain
    Blazytracy.... chemo brain is the mental cloudiness that chemo causes.. It makes you forgetful and difficult to concentrate... I would be having conversations with people and midway through would forget what I was talking about.. or ask people questions and forget their answers... I am almost 5 weeks from my last chemo treatment and its getting much better..

Keep posting... When you go to your oncologist have them write down the names of the chemo drugs you'll be taking and post them.. the woman here can give you a lot of insight on what to expect form each drug.. especially little things that the oncologist just don't think important to tell you...

Just remember to get your wig ordered before your hair starts to fall out(call your insurance company most will pay for it or part of it)...(all breast cancer chemo's cause hair loss).. and lots of scarfs... just have options for yourself it makes the transition easier when it starts to fall out.... and contact the Amer. cancer soc.. they will reimburse you for mileage, or medications up too $300.00... I found the mileage reimbursement easier because they changed my medications a lot.. and for the mileage you just have to submit the form once a month...

Although right now you feel like it .. remember.. YOUR NOT ALONE....
  • zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670
    Options

Z is
    here to give her wisdom and give us hope that we can make it as well-aren't you,Z?!!

Well, I don't know about....
    WISDOM...
    That's a pretty tall order for this lil ole Arkansas girl, but yes there is all kinds of hope for all of us. Especially these days. Early diagnosis and treatment have come a long way since I began this journey.
    You can see the details on 'my page', so I won't bore you with all that now. But I will say that life is just full of surprises, and you don't want to miss a one of them, because even the ones that feel like real clunkers at the time can pan out to be something really positive and life enriching in the end.
    So, as one of my TRULY wise friends here often reminds us, we do what we have to so we can do what we want to.
    God bless.
  • blazytracy
    Options
    e_hope said:

Blazytracy.... chemo brain
    Blazytracy.... chemo brain is the mental cloudiness that chemo causes.. It makes you forgetful and difficult to concentrate... I would be having conversations with people and midway through would forget what I was talking about.. or ask people questions and forget their answers... I am almost 5 weeks from my last chemo treatment and its getting much better..

Keep posting... When you go to your oncologist have them write down the names of the chemo drugs you'll be taking and post them.. the woman here can give you a lot of insight on what to expect form each drug.. especially little things that the oncologist just don't think important to tell you...

Just remember to get your wig ordered before your hair starts to fall out(call your insurance company most will pay for it or part of it)...(all breast cancer chemo's cause hair loss).. and lots of scarfs... just have options for yourself it makes the transition easier when it starts to fall out.... and contact the Amer. cancer soc.. they will reimburse you for mileage, or medications up too $300.00... I found the mileage reimbursement easier because they changed my medications a lot.. and for the mileage you just have to submit the form once a month...

Although right now you feel like it .. remember.. YOUR NOT ALONE....

thanks so much
    thanks e_hope, You are so full of useful information, you have most helpful. I wish that I could just concentrate on my treatments and not worry about going back to work and being there as much as possible..unfortunately, if I am not here, I do not get paid... so I will be scheduling all my physical therapy, chemo and radiation around work and I think that really sucks!!! but that is the way it has to be so I will deal with it!!!
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    zahalene said:

Well, I don't know about....
    WISDOM...
    That's a pretty tall order for this lil ole Arkansas girl, but yes there is all kinds of hope for all of us. Especially these days. Early diagnosis and treatment have come a long way since I began this journey.
    You can see the details on 'my page', so I won't bore you with all that now. But I will say that life is just full of surprises, and you don't want to miss a one of them, because even the ones that feel like real clunkers at the time can pan out to be something really positive and life enriching in the end.
    So, as one of my TRULY wise friends here often reminds us, we do what we have to so we can do what we want to.
    God bless.

Yes,who
    did give that quote that is so well known on this board?!!