Dirty Secret

Options

Comments

• Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    padee6339 said:

ME Too!
    I contacted the Maryland State Smoking hotline or whatever its called and set my quit date as August 3. They are sending me all kinds of information and a free 4 week patch therapy. My surgeon knew I smoked and did the surgery, but they did an albuterol treatment before they put me under. I have smoked for over 40 years, so this is going to be hard. Lets help each other! I haven't told anyone in my family yet, I want it to be a surprise. Good luck to you and me both!
    Pat

KC, PAT & TJHAY
    Good Luck to you all. You guys can do this. One day at a time. Buy straws and chew on them instead of the cig.
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Geeeezzzzzz.... I was
    Geeeezzzzzz.... I was wondering when this thread was going to show up.... ughhhh.... I want to quit I really really do.... but I just don't know if I have the self control.... okay... but.. gulp... the 30th???? That is after all this Thursday... Okay.. can I join in too... but just pick a different date... like give me until Monday.. Aug 3rd?? Can I get on board with you guys then?? Pleeeeaaassseee?
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    taleena said:

Geeeezzzzzz.... I was
    Geeeezzzzzz.... I was wondering when this thread was going to show up.... ughhhh.... I want to quit I really really do.... but I just don't know if I have the self control.... okay... but.. gulp... the 30th???? That is after all this Thursday... Okay.. can I join in too... but just pick a different date... like give me until Monday.. Aug 3rd?? Can I get on board with you guys then?? Pleeeeaaassseee?

Good luck to all of you in
    Good luck to all of you in quitting. I certainly hope you can do it.

My plastic surgeon wouldn't even do my lumpectomy if I had been a smoker. He said if he has smokers as patients, he makes them wait 3 months or more.

Now for the SCARE part, you just survived breast cancer. You don't want lung cancer!

I pray that you all can quit!

Hugs, Kristin
  • tjhay
    tjhay Member Posts: 655
    Options
    Kristin N said:

Good luck to all of you in
    Good luck to all of you in quitting. I certainly hope you can do it.

My plastic surgeon wouldn't even do my lumpectomy if I had been a smoker. He said if he has smokers as patients, he makes them wait 3 months or more.

Now for the SCARE part, you just survived breast cancer. You don't want lung cancer!

I pray that you all can quit!

Hugs, Kristin

I am in, as of today, cause
    I am in, as of today, cause i just ran out of smokes, putting on a patch now and i quit agin
    tjhay
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    taleena said:

Geeeezzzzzz.... I was

Taleena
    So glad you're back from vacation, hope you had a great time.

I was really hoping you'd see this thread, and yes you can start on the 3rd. I'll go ahead and start with KC, on the 30th, and you and Pat can start on the 3rd.

This is going to be great. I'm really excited to quit with a little help from my friends.

Aurora
  • aurora2009
    Options
    tjhay said:

I am in, as of today, cause i just ran out of smokes, putting on a patch now and i quit agin
    tjhay

yeahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Alright Tj we can do this!!!!!!!!!

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Aurora
  • faithandprayer
    faithandprayer Member Posts: 177
    Options
    EXCITED
    I cannot believe I'm EXCITED about this!!! But, I really am!!!
    And thank you, thank you to everyone who's supporting & praying for us.

Okay, the left side of my brain shriveled up and died long ago so have no ability to organize...coordinate, maybe...organize, ahm...not so much. Aurora, I'm so glad you are on deck to keep track of who's doing what when (otherwise, how the heck can we be accountable???).

What I DO have down is that so far, the following have committed to quitting - collectively - on their designated dates:

Aurora
    IamHope
    Padee/Pat
    taleena
    tjhay
    faithandprayer

And, on behalf of our group, I would like to extend a warm welcome to anyone else who wants to join. To my fellow quitters, I extend a warm welcome to meet at Disney next year to celebrate!

I'm so proud of us!!!
    KC
  • faithandprayer
    Options
    tjhay said:

tjhay

Destiny
    ...you had to know I was going to tell you that running out of smokes was fate taking your hand ;-)

So glad you're in!
    KC
  • aurora2009
    Options

EXCITED
    I cannot believe I'm EXCITED about this!!! But, I really am!!!
    And thank you, thank you to everyone who's supporting & praying for us.

Okay, the left side of my brain shriveled up and died long ago so have no ability to organize...coordinate, maybe...organize, ahm...not so much. Aurora, I'm so glad you are on deck to keep track of who's doing what when (otherwise, how the heck can we be accountable???).

What I DO have down is that so far, the following have committed to quitting - collectively - on their designated dates:

Aurora
    IamHope
    Padee/Pat
    taleena
    tjhay
    faithandprayer

And, on behalf of our group, I would like to extend a warm welcome to anyone else who wants to join. To my fellow quitters, I extend a warm welcome to meet at Disney next year to celebrate!

I'm so proud of us!!!
    KC

Sounds Like you got it right
    This really is exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See you at Disney

Aurora
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options

Taleena
    So glad you're back from vacation, hope you had a great time.

I was really hoping you'd see this thread, and yes you can start on the 3rd. I'll go ahead and start with KC, on the 30th, and you and Pat can start on the 3rd.

This is going to be great. I'm really excited to quit with a little help from my friends.

Aurora

Thanks Aurora... I had a
    Thanks Aurora... I had a great time.... okay deep breath.... Pat & I are on the same target date... excited..... gulp.... okay repeating the story... from an old story... I think I can... I think I can... I think I can....

Hugs

~T
  • Nufferz
    Nufferz Member Posts: 55
    Options
    It's worth it to quit
    Good luck with your quitting smoking, KC. I'm glad you made that decision, along with the rest of you.
    Now, I won't tell you it's easy because it is not but you have a great support system here and so do all of you. I know what you're going through and it's hard, but it will get easier every day.
    Good luck everyone!
    Nuff
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    I will pray for strength for
    I will pray for strength for you to quit. This is the single best thing you can do for your health.
  • IamHope
    IamHope Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Got my prognosis today. It
    Got my prognosis today. It wasn't good. In fact - it was really bad.
    Aai, didn't see this side swipe coming.
    Not ready to share yet. Just logged in to say, yes, I'm in.
  • faithandprayer
    Options
    Prayer
    IamHope,
    I'm so sorry about your news. Come when you are ready - you do not have to deal with it alone. I have already prayed for you and will continue to do so.
    KC
  • faithandprayer
    Options
    Eil4186 said:

I will pray for strength for you to quit. This is the single best thing you can do for your health.

Right
    On behalf of all of us, thank you Eil. You are so right. And that is exactly what we need. Prayers for strength...more powerful than anything we can buy over the counter.
    Appreciation Hugs,
    KC
  • debragood1
    debragood1 Member Posts: 48
    Options
    Eil4186 said:

smokeless
    After 36 years of smoking 1 pack/day, I quit the day after my BC diagnosis in March. I had planned to go on nicotine gum but my plastic surgeon said i have to have all nicotine out of my body to heal properly. Although it is not easy, we can all use cancer as our motivation to lead healthier lives. Whoever is trying to quit, I wish you luck. You CAN do it and will be much happier for it. Stay strong.

deb
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    IamHope said:

so sorry to hear this
    IamHope, remember that you are not your prognosis and you are not a statistic. Individual outcomes vary, sometimes drastically. I wish you peace and hope during this time. Write when you can.

Mimi
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    You guys can do it!!
    Good luck to all who are quitting. What a monumental thing you are doing for your health. Eil is right, this is perhaps the single most important thing you can do to ensure a long and healthy future. How wonderful to have a community to share this new journey. You are all survivors, and I know you can do this, too.

Mimi
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    IamHope said:

So sorry iamhope

So sorry iamhope
  • faithandprayer
    Options
    Touch Base
    Okay Fellow Survivors (I refuse to call us "Quitters", it's just so negative):

If you are on this list, you are (at your own desire) accountable:

Aurora
    IamHope
    Padee/Pat
    taleena
    tjhay
    faithandprayer

As we roll out, I want to suggest that each of us report to this thread at least once a day - to let each other know how we are doing, etc. That way, we don't have to start a bunch of new threads, or carry it over/completely hi-jack/chase each other in other threads. It will also be good to see the words of wisdom from those who drop in to support & cheer.

tjhay, I think you're the only one who is currently active, with a couple of us on the docket for Thursday...how is it going for you? Did the patches help at all?

Cyber Hugs,
    KC