Recently diagnosed, surgery pending, scared to death!

Options
13»

Comments

• Ms_Nellie
    Ms_Nellie Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Hi Rose

I too was recently diagnosed with breast cancer in May. I had a lumpectomy and is now waiting to talk with an oncologist regarding the next steps.

I was initially overwhelmed with fear of the unknown. I have not had much pain since surgery. The drain tubes were annoying until they were removed. The waiting for the next steps is still scary. I'm taking the opportunities given to learn more about my situation.

This network group has been a life-saver for me. At least the "new language" that comes with the illness makes sense.

I spend a lot of time trying to see through the experience. I can't ignore it, but I am making plans for my survival.

Fear is a normal emotion, its what we do with our fears that makes the difference. You seem to have made strides to handling your fears by educating yourself and having a good support system.

My way of thinking about things has changed since the diagnosis. There's one more thing to consider when I think about the future. It's not like it's a burden, it's just a part of me that I have to acknowledge with all the other stuff.

I pray a lot, which is something I always done, my prayers have not changed much as far as substance and thanks giving. My main prayer is that if I can have a positive influence or impact in someone's life because of my journey with cancer, then let this journey be a lesson to me also of the power of the human heart.

You have come to a good place to share what you want of your journey and learn about others. If you are crying just know that there are others crying with you that understand your pain and fear.

Believe in your heart that you have the strength, courage, and faith, and a good network to help you every step of the way.

Nellie
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    Ms_Nellie said:

Hi Rose

I too was recently diagnosed with breast cancer in May. I had a lumpectomy and is now waiting to talk with an oncologist regarding the next steps.

I was initially overwhelmed with fear of the unknown. I have not had much pain since surgery. The drain tubes were annoying until they were removed. The waiting for the next steps is still scary. I'm taking the opportunities given to learn more about my situation.

This network group has been a life-saver for me. At least the "new language" that comes with the illness makes sense.

I spend a lot of time trying to see through the experience. I can't ignore it, but I am making plans for my survival.

Fear is a normal emotion, its what we do with our fears that makes the difference. You seem to have made strides to handling your fears by educating yourself and having a good support system.

My way of thinking about things has changed since the diagnosis. There's one more thing to consider when I think about the future. It's not like it's a burden, it's just a part of me that I have to acknowledge with all the other stuff.

I pray a lot, which is something I always done, my prayers have not changed much as far as substance and thanks giving. My main prayer is that if I can have a positive influence or impact in someone's life because of my journey with cancer, then let this journey be a lesson to me also of the power of the human heart.

You have come to a good place to share what you want of your journey and learn about others. If you are crying just know that there are others crying with you that understand your pain and fear.

Believe in your heart that you have the strength, courage, and faith, and a good network to help you every step of the way.

Nellie

Rose, I just want to welcome
    Rose, I just want to welcome you to the board and to also wish you good luck with your surgery next week! I will put you in my prayers! Please update us when you can and let us know how you are doing! Good luck!