DIET Post removed !!

135

Comments

  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866
    2bhealed said:

    It's not easy....
    Coming on these boards and sharing our "alternatives" because of this exact type of reaction...maybe that's why there are not more of "us" posting.

    Just a thought.

    peace, emily

    Em
    Anyone who would come here and says they know how to turn cancer off and on, whether it's by "Western Medicine" or "Alternatives" would be questioned by me the same way. It's not possible to do that with cancer. I think that the people who have been here a while can tell the difference but we get quite a lot of new people on a weekly basis it seems and it can be very misleading to say the least if misinformation is passed on as fact. People often come here very desperate.

    I could have handled it a bit differently (sans-sarcasm) but people who claims to "know the truth about _______" really get to me. One can not know what can not be known.
    (or something like that - ask Rummy how that goes...)

    I've noticed that many people who are no longer in treatment or are past this cancer phase of their lives just move on and rarely come back to post. Maybe they don't want to be reminded of it.

    Just another thought.
    peace,
    -phil
  • sharpy102
    sharpy102 Member Posts: 368
    geotina said:

    Siser Sledge:
    He was not a newbie or a new poster. He has been around for six months and it was not his first post.

    Tina

    ?!
    Hey people: I think there's no point of "arguing" over what is good, or wrong, or whether casein is bad, or not. First of all, picture this:

    Healthy cells divide at a certain rate to replenish the tissue they build up. Some, divide faster, such as epidermal cells (that build up your skin and you basically believe it or not, no matter how great lotion you are using, you shed your skin on a daily basis!!!) while others such as lung cells do not divide rapidly, as if you are happy and healthy lung tissue remains intact nearly throughout your whole life. You grow, your body changes, you need to adjust, it's nicely set and balanced when and which kinds of cells need to turn on their cell-cycle and replicate, and when they should stop, and be quiescent (basically a big word for "dormant").
    Now, a cancer cell (any type, not just colon) is totally the same as the healthy except: it gained a mutation either in their DNA damage checking machinery, so cannot detect errors (which honestly, we make a lot...we are just not aware of it as they get "fixed"). Some gain a mutation in the cell cycle arrest, so no matter that there's a very bad mutation, they cannot "feed" the same signaling pathway as normal cells hence they keep dividing. And sometimes we can obtain multiple mutations, let's say both of the above. There are more, but I don't want to seem like I'm a "smartA". Anyway, the main point, when we drink milk, we eat meat, we eat...I don't know...tennis ball...even though it's not edible, our body has a very good system to try to metabolize stuff and break them down into small components, and see which can be utilized either as a sugar source to feed ALL cells (including healthy and cancer cells), or amino acids, or K for K channels that dictate our homeostatis...whatever...but in short, things we cannot utilize...we poop it out. :) (wow, who knew that, eh?) :) Of course, there are known carginogenic stuff such as ethidium bromide that is famous for intercalating into DNA and hence causing great deal of mutations, but remember, these are not NATURAL compounds. That's exactly why they are dangerous. And like others mentioned, when we already have a couple mutations, our body no longer gets the appropriate signaling pathways as it would otherwise. Some components of the normal signaling cascade are "out of the game" while others are constitutively active even though they should not be. From this point on, even healthy food, and stuff can be "toxic" and "bad" for you because you cannot break them down the same way as you used to. Now I'm not saying don't eat anything...I'm just saying all this because I think it is totally unnecessary to argue on if casein is good, or not, or what is bad for you, and what you should be eating. Whatever you eat, if your body is already altered (due to cancer that altered your signaling cascade) danger is always out there! And two people being diagnosed with the same type of cancer with the same stage etc. are might NOT be the same as where they gain a mutation that caused these cells to get out of control. So, X can eat a shitload of BigMac and no problem and he makes it out alive after only a year of chemo, while Y cannot eat BigMac at all, feeds himself on veggies, antioxidants, flavin, Avemar, and he goes through multiple surgeries and eventually dies within a year. Sorry, this sounds drastic but this is the case...everybody's cancer is different...and these chemo drugs that we have are targeting some that scientists have identified as one that can be responsible for cancer, and can be targeted without killing the patient during the first round of treatment! Let's not dwell on what is good, or what is bad for people to eat! We can give advices what we have tried and what seemed to work...that's totally fine! Everybody should be aware that that's no guarantee that it will work for you/me/him/her. But let's not argue stating directly that "this is bad for you" or "this is definitely good for you". Okay? Except for obvious mutagenic materials which are scientifically proven to be bad for you (Ethidium bromide).
    Please take care of yourself and others! Be gentle, we are here to help each other, not to attack each other...we have cancer to attack, right? :)
    Sophie
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965

    John23
    Love you too, hun, your know your in good hands when.... Oh never mind.

    I did read the post and the thread
    My first thought was that I couldn't believe it hadn't been flagged but so many were bashing it. I chose to ignore it and moved on.

    But to now see you Winter Marie, acting like it was all about his thread and references I just have to ask you something. If your comments were really all about "what Joseph said" then why did you throw in your usual bit about your neighbor who ate all "the right things" and still died of cancer?

    Lisa P.
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965
    Buckwirth said:

    Kris Carr
    An inspirational story. According to Scientific American she went to Dana-Farber. Is there another place your thinking of?

    There is also a TV movie Crazy Sexy Cancer available on Netflix DVD for those who want to watch it.

    Kris went to many places
    It took many trips to many doctors for her to even find out what was wrong with her. When she did and it was a very rare cancer with no known treatments she knew she had to do things a little differently. Dr. Oz actually spent a few days with her to see what she "did" while he was still on Oprah's show.

    Lisa P.
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965
    geotina said:

    Graci:
    He was not a new poster. He joined last December. Before his post was pulled I tried to look up his old posts and they were all gone. If I am not mistaken, and I may be, the only people who can delete discussion groups is CSN.

    Tina

    Original posters
    can remove their own and the entire thread will go........

    I actually watched one of our own let many people here think Greta had removed a thread a few years ago when he did it himself. I lost a great deal of respect for that guy with that move.

    Lisa P.
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965
    PhillieG said:

    Em
    Anyone who would come here and says they know how to turn cancer off and on, whether it's by "Western Medicine" or "Alternatives" would be questioned by me the same way. It's not possible to do that with cancer. I think that the people who have been here a while can tell the difference but we get quite a lot of new people on a weekly basis it seems and it can be very misleading to say the least if misinformation is passed on as fact. People often come here very desperate.

    I could have handled it a bit differently (sans-sarcasm) but people who claims to "know the truth about _______" really get to me. One can not know what can not be known.
    (or something like that - ask Rummy how that goes...)

    I've noticed that many people who are no longer in treatment or are past this cancer phase of their lives just move on and rarely come back to post. Maybe they don't want to be reminded of it.

    Just another thought.
    peace,
    -phil

    Some sure
    But Phil, I think you would be surprised at how many don't come here anymore due to the negative energy and bickering. From both sides of the sprectrum I might add.

    Lisa P.
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624
    scouty said:

    I did read the post and the thread
    My first thought was that I couldn't believe it hadn't been flagged but so many were bashing it. I chose to ignore it and moved on.

    But to now see you Winter Marie, acting like it was all about his thread and references I just have to ask you something. If your comments were really all about "what Joseph said" then why did you throw in your usual bit about your neighbor who ate all "the right things" and still died of cancer?

    Lisa P.

    Lisa
    Do you really think you have a "gotcha" moment? Because the man claimed through his PROTOCOL, his DIET, you would turn your cancer off, and I used those two as an example of two people doing the healthy and yes they did the alternative stuff as well, they both didn't make it, that they both couldn't turn their cancer off through diet, so the idea that it was diet alone makes it pretty slim pickings, his whole point was HIS PROTOCOL of foods and the clinics. And I said it because it's a 50/50 don't you think? One died the other lived, if it had just been the one that had cancer and was on the vegan diet that lived, he could have claimed it was the diet that saved him. If it was only one that had the cancer and died and was on the vegan diet, then the other side (us meat eaters)would say, see the vegan diet killed her. But both had cancer, both were vegan, both did the exercising, both led healthy lifestyles. Diet didn't do it for both, the cancer's make a difference, the stages make a difference, the onc's make a difference, the ODDS make a heck of a difference, sometimes your the lucky one and no matter what you do, YOU MAKE IT, you become the long time survivor, but you can claim your diet did it, just as if I become a long time survivor would you really think it was my diet, bet not, because I eat meat, I have a drink a day and I don't do veggies, but if I was vegan you'd probably say it was my diet. Do you see my point? Statistics can be skewed to mean what you want them to mean. That's all Lisa. That's why I pointed it out. I've never put down your diet or your supplements or what ever means you use (I'm not sure what you do or use) to each their own. One lived, one died, I don't think their diet alone had everything to do with it. I don't think you should try to make people feel bad if they do one or the other, each person does what they think is BEST FOR THEM, which is why I don't comment on any person's personal diet, I've even said I might even take up juicing (a rather healthly alternative I don't do because, well, I like food that's usually bad for me, not because I don't believe in it)someday. I had some vegan food on Virgin Airlines and commented to my husband, I might have to start trying this Vegan thing, it tastes pretty good.
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576
    sharpy102 said:

    ?!
    Hey people: I think there's no point of "arguing" over what is good, or wrong, or whether casein is bad, or not. First of all, picture this:

    Healthy cells divide at a certain rate to replenish the tissue they build up. Some, divide faster, such as epidermal cells (that build up your skin and you basically believe it or not, no matter how great lotion you are using, you shed your skin on a daily basis!!!) while others such as lung cells do not divide rapidly, as if you are happy and healthy lung tissue remains intact nearly throughout your whole life. You grow, your body changes, you need to adjust, it's nicely set and balanced when and which kinds of cells need to turn on their cell-cycle and replicate, and when they should stop, and be quiescent (basically a big word for "dormant").
    Now, a cancer cell (any type, not just colon) is totally the same as the healthy except: it gained a mutation either in their DNA damage checking machinery, so cannot detect errors (which honestly, we make a lot...we are just not aware of it as they get "fixed"). Some gain a mutation in the cell cycle arrest, so no matter that there's a very bad mutation, they cannot "feed" the same signaling pathway as normal cells hence they keep dividing. And sometimes we can obtain multiple mutations, let's say both of the above. There are more, but I don't want to seem like I'm a "smartA". Anyway, the main point, when we drink milk, we eat meat, we eat...I don't know...tennis ball...even though it's not edible, our body has a very good system to try to metabolize stuff and break them down into small components, and see which can be utilized either as a sugar source to feed ALL cells (including healthy and cancer cells), or amino acids, or K for K channels that dictate our homeostatis...whatever...but in short, things we cannot utilize...we poop it out. :) (wow, who knew that, eh?) :) Of course, there are known carginogenic stuff such as ethidium bromide that is famous for intercalating into DNA and hence causing great deal of mutations, but remember, these are not NATURAL compounds. That's exactly why they are dangerous. And like others mentioned, when we already have a couple mutations, our body no longer gets the appropriate signaling pathways as it would otherwise. Some components of the normal signaling cascade are "out of the game" while others are constitutively active even though they should not be. From this point on, even healthy food, and stuff can be "toxic" and "bad" for you because you cannot break them down the same way as you used to. Now I'm not saying don't eat anything...I'm just saying all this because I think it is totally unnecessary to argue on if casein is good, or not, or what is bad for you, and what you should be eating. Whatever you eat, if your body is already altered (due to cancer that altered your signaling cascade) danger is always out there! And two people being diagnosed with the same type of cancer with the same stage etc. are might NOT be the same as where they gain a mutation that caused these cells to get out of control. So, X can eat a shitload of BigMac and no problem and he makes it out alive after only a year of chemo, while Y cannot eat BigMac at all, feeds himself on veggies, antioxidants, flavin, Avemar, and he goes through multiple surgeries and eventually dies within a year. Sorry, this sounds drastic but this is the case...everybody's cancer is different...and these chemo drugs that we have are targeting some that scientists have identified as one that can be responsible for cancer, and can be targeted without killing the patient during the first round of treatment! Let's not dwell on what is good, or what is bad for people to eat! We can give advices what we have tried and what seemed to work...that's totally fine! Everybody should be aware that that's no guarantee that it will work for you/me/him/her. But let's not argue stating directly that "this is bad for you" or "this is definitely good for you". Okay? Except for obvious mutagenic materials which are scientifically proven to be bad for you (Ethidium bromide).
    Please take care of yourself and others! Be gentle, we are here to help each other, not to attack each other...we have cancer to attack, right? :)
    Sophie

    ummmmmm
    yawn
  • AncientTiger
    AncientTiger Member Posts: 130
    Just an observation
    I'm not taking sides or anything... I'm new here and don't really feel I've earned the right, much less understand the histories or nuances of this community. But I DO know something about enforcing rules, and if someone breaks the rules of this community, then it shouldn't be surprising to see their post removed and membership revoked. It's simple... you break rules, you suffer the consequences. That's the way of the world.

    As for the infighting... we ALL lead stressful lives. Many of us are fighting cancer today, many of us have FOUGHT cancer in the past, and we ALL have normal day-to-day stresses to deal with. When we're in stressful situations, emotions can run hot, and as a result sometimes we can lash out with strong words.

    Please everyone... keep this in mind when dealing with each other. EACH of us has our personal opinions. And unless we violate the rules in expressing them, we EACH have a right to voice those opinions. Let's let cool heads and mutual respect rule the day, not hurtful feelings that do nothing but... hurt.

    Haven't we ALL dealt with enough hurt in our lives without adding to it here?

    Just some thoughts to ponder ;)
  • CessnaFlyer
    CessnaFlyer Member Posts: 110
    PhillieG said:

    Em
    Anyone who would come here and says they know how to turn cancer off and on, whether it's by "Western Medicine" or "Alternatives" would be questioned by me the same way. It's not possible to do that with cancer. I think that the people who have been here a while can tell the difference but we get quite a lot of new people on a weekly basis it seems and it can be very misleading to say the least if misinformation is passed on as fact. People often come here very desperate.

    I could have handled it a bit differently (sans-sarcasm) but people who claims to "know the truth about _______" really get to me. One can not know what can not be known.
    (or something like that - ask Rummy how that goes...)

    I've noticed that many people who are no longer in treatment or are past this cancer phase of their lives just move on and rarely come back to post. Maybe they don't want to be reminded of it.

    Just another thought.
    peace,
    -phil

    This is very true of me
    "I've noticed that many people who are no longer in treatment or are past this cancer phase of their lives just move on and rarely come back to post. Maybe they don't want to be reminded of it."

    Two years ago I was much more active in this group than I am now. At the time, I had a tumor the size of an orange removed from my ascending colon. The doctor said it was one of the largest he had ever seen, and during that period and during my chemo I frequently visited this board. I didn’t always post, but I read the messages. As time has gone by I’ve noticed that some people who were having a difficult time are no longer here, and it is hard to take. I try to return and post positive things when I can, but the longer I am cancer free the harder it is to return to the board. I know that’s selfish, but cancer is something I would like to forget about, but with my regular CT scans and with the knowledge this cancer can reoccur it’s not easy to forget about it. Anyway, my wife finally pointed out that it might be best if I tried focusing on other things and not spend so much time on this board, and so I guess I have moved on, but all of you are in my heart and I still care about you all.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866

    Just an observation
    I'm not taking sides or anything... I'm new here and don't really feel I've earned the right, much less understand the histories or nuances of this community. But I DO know something about enforcing rules, and if someone breaks the rules of this community, then it shouldn't be surprising to see their post removed and membership revoked. It's simple... you break rules, you suffer the consequences. That's the way of the world.

    As for the infighting... we ALL lead stressful lives. Many of us are fighting cancer today, many of us have FOUGHT cancer in the past, and we ALL have normal day-to-day stresses to deal with. When we're in stressful situations, emotions can run hot, and as a result sometimes we can lash out with strong words.

    Please everyone... keep this in mind when dealing with each other. EACH of us has our personal opinions. And unless we violate the rules in expressing them, we EACH have a right to voice those opinions. Let's let cool heads and mutual respect rule the day, not hurtful feelings that do nothing but... hurt.

    Haven't we ALL dealt with enough hurt in our lives without adding to it here?

    Just some thoughts to ponder ;)

    Good Post
    If you're here, you have the right to voice your opinions. You walk the walk etc...
    Stress has a lot to do with reactions to posts. I know that is true for me and I think it is for others but I do not KNOW how others are so I will leave it up to them. If the rules were followed better it could reduce some of this. I know that for me, when I'm not feeling well it sometimes comes out in posts or responses.
    Thank you for posting your thoughts on this.

    Reminds me of a joke...
    THE BODY PARTS MEETING

    "One day the different parts of the body were having an argument to see which should be in charge:

    The brain said "I do all the thinking so I'm the most important and I should be in charge."

    The eyes said "I see everything and let the rest of you know where we are, so I'm the most important and I should be in charge."

    The hands said: "Without me we wouldn't be able to pick anything up or move anything. So I'm the most important and I should be in charge."

    The stomach said: "I turn the food we eat into energy for the rest of you. Without me, we'd starve. So I'm the most important and I should be in charge."

    The legs said: "Without me we wouldn't be able to move anywhere. I'm the most important and I should be in charge."

    Then the rectum said: "I think I should be in charge."
    All the rest of the parts said: YOU?!!
    You don't do anything! You're not as important as we are, surely!
    You can't be in charge!"

    So the rectum closed up...
    After a few days, the legs were all wobbly,
    the stomach was all queasy,
    the hands were all shaky,
    the eyes were all watery,
    and the brain was all cloudy.
    They all agreed that they couldn't take any more of this and agreed to put the rectum in charge.

    The moral of the story?"
    if one is not regular,
    one can act irregular...

    -phil
  • PGLGreg
    PGLGreg Member Posts: 731

    Just an observation
    I'm not taking sides or anything... I'm new here and don't really feel I've earned the right, much less understand the histories or nuances of this community. But I DO know something about enforcing rules, and if someone breaks the rules of this community, then it shouldn't be surprising to see their post removed and membership revoked. It's simple... you break rules, you suffer the consequences. That's the way of the world.

    As for the infighting... we ALL lead stressful lives. Many of us are fighting cancer today, many of us have FOUGHT cancer in the past, and we ALL have normal day-to-day stresses to deal with. When we're in stressful situations, emotions can run hot, and as a result sometimes we can lash out with strong words.

    Please everyone... keep this in mind when dealing with each other. EACH of us has our personal opinions. And unless we violate the rules in expressing them, we EACH have a right to voice those opinions. Let's let cool heads and mutual respect rule the day, not hurtful feelings that do nothing but... hurt.

    Haven't we ALL dealt with enough hurt in our lives without adding to it here?

    Just some thoughts to ponder ;)

    rules?
    An appeal to an unspecified rule (not a law), by an unspecified person, with the reasoning for the interpretation not given, is a pretty feeble excuse for deleting a post. I think that everyone who complained about the post in question, in effect asking for the post to be deleted, should be ashamed.

    --Greg
  • Buckwirth
    Buckwirth Member Posts: 1,258
    PGLGreg said:

    rules?
    An appeal to an unspecified rule (not a law), by an unspecified person, with the reasoning for the interpretation not given, is a pretty feeble excuse for deleting a post. I think that everyone who complained about the post in question, in effect asking for the post to be deleted, should be ashamed.

    --Greg

    Rules
    From the T&C's:

    No User shall advise other Users about medical care or attempt to influence their medical care decisions. Members are encouraged to share their own medical experiences, but medical advice to others is strictly prohibited, regardless of a Member's medical education, credentials, or experience. The purpose of the Cancer Survivors Network is a peer to peer support service.

    No User shall use the Service to proselytize. The religious beliefs of all faiths are to be respected. The spiritual beliefs of all Members are to be respected regardless of whether they are in accordance with the beliefs of any religious group or teachings of other Members. No User shall disrespect or judge the beliefs or decisions of other Members on religious, spiritual, or other issues including but not limited to lifestyle, relationships, and medical care.

    The T&C's are a legally binding (by law) contract with the site owners.

    The "unspecified person" is Greta. If you have questions she can be PM'd, or you can use the Contact CSN link at the top right hand side of the page.

    Just complaining about a post does not get it deleted, this entire thread being a case in point. As Pete notes in an earlier post, this thread was flagged, yet here it is today (to be clear, I did not flag it).

    All opinions are not equal, and having a set of rules to abide by can prevent a board from getting out of control. In my time here, we have had religious zealots, a few ad men, a student running a survey and a couple of threads that inadvertently crossed the line into medical advice. I, for one, am happy that these rules exist, and I attempt to stay within them.
  • PGLGreg
    PGLGreg Member Posts: 731
    Buckwirth said:

    Rules
    From the T&C's:

    No User shall advise other Users about medical care or attempt to influence their medical care decisions. Members are encouraged to share their own medical experiences, but medical advice to others is strictly prohibited, regardless of a Member's medical education, credentials, or experience. The purpose of the Cancer Survivors Network is a peer to peer support service.

    No User shall use the Service to proselytize. The religious beliefs of all faiths are to be respected. The spiritual beliefs of all Members are to be respected regardless of whether they are in accordance with the beliefs of any religious group or teachings of other Members. No User shall disrespect or judge the beliefs or decisions of other Members on religious, spiritual, or other issues including but not limited to lifestyle, relationships, and medical care.

    The T&C's are a legally binding (by law) contract with the site owners.

    The "unspecified person" is Greta. If you have questions she can be PM'd, or you can use the Contact CSN link at the top right hand side of the page.

    Just complaining about a post does not get it deleted, this entire thread being a case in point. As Pete notes in an earlier post, this thread was flagged, yet here it is today (to be clear, I did not flag it).

    All opinions are not equal, and having a set of rules to abide by can prevent a board from getting out of control. In my time here, we have had religious zealots, a few ad men, a student running a survey and a couple of threads that inadvertently crossed the line into medical advice. I, for one, am happy that these rules exist, and I attempt to stay within them.

    law?
    "The T&C's are a legally binding (by law) contract with the site owners."

    How do you know they are legally binding? Did someone tell you that? A judge, a lawyer? Can you quote a statute? Or are you just making this up as you go?

    --Greg
  • Buckwirth
    Buckwirth Member Posts: 1,258
    PGLGreg said:

    law?
    "The T&C's are a legally binding (by law) contract with the site owners."

    How do you know they are legally binding? Did someone tell you that? A judge, a lawyer? Can you quote a statute? Or are you just making this up as you go?

    --Greg

    Legally Binding
    From WiseGeek

    "If you’ve ever signed a lease, gotten married, used a checking account, or even used various Internet sites like wiseGEEK or YouTube, you’ve made certain agreements. These agreements are often called legally binding agreements, because they define the terms undertaken during a contract. Legally binding simply means that one agrees with the terms under a written or spoken contract to behave in certain ways. The terms and conditions of such a contract can either prohibit or define appropriate behavior under the agreement. Violation of terms in a legally binding agreement can either void the contract, or cause legal repercussions....

    ...Using certain types of software, or websites may also require one to agree to terms and conditions. Recently, most US courts have ruled that any agreement to terms and conditions on the Internet is legally binding. Therefore, if one violates the terms and conditions of the agreement, one is essentially tied up legally to whatever one agreed to in the first place. Using a computer program legally binds one, in many cases, to not duplicating the program. It may also absolve the company of damages if the program in some way harms the computer or one’s self."


    Greg,

    It is called an electronic signature, and it is as legally binding as a wet one.

    If you do not believe me, please feel free to contact the site owners, or spend a little money and get a contract lawyers opinion.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866
    PGLGreg said:

    rules?
    An appeal to an unspecified rule (not a law), by an unspecified person, with the reasoning for the interpretation not given, is a pretty feeble excuse for deleting a post. I think that everyone who complained about the post in question, in effect asking for the post to be deleted, should be ashamed.

    --Greg

    Greg
    Do you honestly believe that if a person claims to know how to turn cancer off that the post should not be questioned and/or flagged?
  • PGLGreg
    PGLGreg Member Posts: 731
    PhillieG said:

    Greg
    Do you honestly believe that if a person claims to know how to turn cancer off that the post should not be questioned and/or flagged?

    Question it by all means.
    Question it by all means. Flag it, meaning ask that no one else be allowed to read it and form their own opinion, no way. It's not your business to tell me what I may and may not read.

    --Greg
  • PGLGreg
    PGLGreg Member Posts: 731
    Buckwirth said:

    Legally Binding
    From WiseGeek

    "If you’ve ever signed a lease, gotten married, used a checking account, or even used various Internet sites like wiseGEEK or YouTube, you’ve made certain agreements. These agreements are often called legally binding agreements, because they define the terms undertaken during a contract. Legally binding simply means that one agrees with the terms under a written or spoken contract to behave in certain ways. The terms and conditions of such a contract can either prohibit or define appropriate behavior under the agreement. Violation of terms in a legally binding agreement can either void the contract, or cause legal repercussions....

    ...Using certain types of software, or websites may also require one to agree to terms and conditions. Recently, most US courts have ruled that any agreement to terms and conditions on the Internet is legally binding. Therefore, if one violates the terms and conditions of the agreement, one is essentially tied up legally to whatever one agreed to in the first place. Using a computer program legally binds one, in many cases, to not duplicating the program. It may also absolve the company of damages if the program in some way harms the computer or one’s self."


    Greg,

    It is called an electronic signature, and it is as legally binding as a wet one.

    If you do not believe me, please feel free to contact the site owners, or spend a little money and get a contract lawyers opinion.

    Wisegeek
    If Wisegeek says it's so, then I guess that pretty much settles it. Right?

    --Greg
  • Buckwirth
    Buckwirth Member Posts: 1,258
    PGLGreg said:

    Question it by all means.
    Question it by all means. Flag it, meaning ask that no one else be allowed to read it and form their own opinion, no way. It's not your business to tell me what I may and may not read.

    --Greg

    Flagging
    Is a request for review. Nothing more, and it denies you nothing.

    Threads can, and are, removed by Greta only if they violate the T&C's. In some cases they were never flagged (she can read for herself).

    Really, if you have a problem with this, take it up with the administrator. No individual user can have a thread deleted on a whim (the sole exception is that the thread creator can delete it).
  • Buckwirth
    Buckwirth Member Posts: 1,258
    PGLGreg said:

    Wisegeek
    If Wisegeek says it's so, then I guess that pretty much settles it. Right?

    --Greg

    As I said
    If you do not believe me, please feel free to contact the site owners, or spend a little money and get a contract lawyers opinion.

    Alternately, you could use Google and check yourself.

    http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=106_cong_public_laws&docid=f:publ229.106.pdf

    Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act


    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia




    The Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act (ESIGN, Pub.L. 106-229, 14 Stat. 464, enacted June 30, 2000, 15 U.S.C. ch.96) is a United States federal law passed by the U.S. Congress to facilitate the use of electronic records and electronic signatures in interstate and foreign commerce by ensuring the validity and legal effect of contracts entered into electronically. In 2010, both Houses of Congress passed a resolution at the request of industry leaders, recognizing June 30 as "National ESIGN Day."[1][2]

    Although every state has at least one law pertaining to electronic signatures, it is the federal law that lays out the guidelines for interstate commerce. The general intent of the ESIGN Act is spelled out in the very first section(101.a), that a contract or signature “may not be denied legal effect, validity, or enforceability solely because it is in electronic form”. This simple statement provides that electronic signatures and records are just as good as their paper equivalents, and therefore subject to the same legal scrutiny of authenticity that applies to paper documents.[3]