Has the Gov't. Truly Banned Avastin because it is too Expensive?

Lisa13Q
Lisa13Q Member Posts: 677
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I heard on the radio today, that the Federal Gov't. is banning avastin because it is too expensive? Has anyone else heard this? I also heard that insurance companies are refusing to pay? What the Heck?? Shame on all of them..

Comments

• poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    they better not
    I also heard this but only for breast ca. and this is horrible news for any ca pt..we have to stick together and write our insurance carriers and government..they are calling these death panels and it is preey scary.....val
  • Cindy Bear
    Cindy Bear Member Posts: 569
    Not sure
    It is very expensive and I think I read that there will never be a generic version, but don't remember the reason. I have not heard that the govt was banning it, but the FDA is no longer rec. it for breast cancer. It supposedly slowed disease progression IN Breast cancer patients but ultimately didn't extend life by any appreciable amount. I think it's still approved for other cancers...
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834

Not sure
    It is very expensive and I think I read that there will never be a generic version, but don't remember the reason. I have not heard that the govt was banning it, but the FDA is no longer rec. it for breast cancer. It supposedly slowed disease progression IN Breast cancer patients but ultimately didn't extend life by any appreciable amount. I think it's still approved for other cancers...

I don't want to start a
    I don't want to start a political brush fire, but at least one anti-Obama website falsely claimed: "The FDA is considering 'de-listing' the drug Avastin for use with breast cancer patients -- not because it doesn't work, but because of its cost."

It went on to state:
    "With a new government health care regime paradigm being established, cost to insurance companies and government health care services will play a critical role in whether patients will have the option of life extending drugs."

There is absolutely no truth to these statements. They are nothing more than fear-mongering.

What is true is that the FDA is recommending removing the breast cancer indication from the label for Avastin because the drug has not been shown to be safe and effective for that use.

The agency is making this recommendation after reviewing the results of four clinical studies of Avastin in women with breast cancer and determining that the data indicate that the drug does not prolong overall survival in breast cancer patients or provide a sufficient benefit in slowing disease progression to outweigh the significant risk to patients. These risks include severe high blood pressure; bleeding and hemorrhage; the development of perforations (or “holes”) in the body, including in the nose, stomach, and intestines; and heart attack or heart failure.

Avastin has never been FDA approved for Ovarian Cancer.

Carlene