aspirin and breast cancer

carkris
carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My onc and I discussed this today I plan on taking an aspirin per day, you may want to ask yours Aspirin Intake and Survival After Breast Cancer

Medical Writer: William Yarnall, RPh, CCP

Expert Faculty: Lisa A. Carey, MD, ScM

Clinical Insights

• Aspirin use post-breast cancer diagnosis may prolong life and reduce the risk of distant recurrence in some breast cancer patients
• Randomized, controlled trials are needed to confirm the beneficial effect of aspirin and NSAIDs in reducing morbidity and mortality in breast cancer patients
In vitro studies have shown that breast cancer cells produce more prostaglandins than normal cells, and animal studies have demonstrated increased cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) activity in metastatic breast cancer. Aspirin and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) are prostaglandin and COX inhibitors and are also known to augment immune responsiveness and suppress cytokines that stimulate bony metastases. Therefore, it has been suggested that these drugs may increase survival among women with breast cancer by decreasing the growth and invasiveness of breast cancer cells. In order to investigate the possibility that aspirin use post-diagnosis might be associated with decreased risk of breast cancer death and distant recurrence, this was examined among Nurses' Health Study (NHS) subjects who developed stage I-III breast cancer.
http://tinyurl.com/2ajp

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Thanks Penny
    Penny,
    You have been back to work. How are you doing so far?
    Hugs
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Thanks for the information.
    Thanks for the information. I just spoke to my doc today about it and I'll be starting soon. This article talks about taking it 2-5 days/wk and having better results than everyday. I think that's what I'm going to do. Maybe every other day. It's good to check it out as it appears the benefit is significant.

Aspirin Could Lower Chance Of Breast Cancer Recurrence, Death, Study Finds
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Yes, my oncologist suggested
    Yes, my oncologist suggested I take aspirin, too. I am taking Low Dose Bayer aspirin, one tablet(81mg) a day. I started taking it after finishing up with radiation.
    BL
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Yes, my oncologist suggested I take aspirin, too. I am taking Low Dose Bayer aspirin, one tablet(81mg) a day. I started taking it after finishing up with radiation.
    BL

Never ... EVER heard of this .. THANK YOU
    for this posting ...

Vicki Sam
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member

BL

did the same
    Yes I take baby /low dose a day..I thought perhaps for blood clots-did not realize why I was to take it. When I go back I ask..SHOULD keep taking baby asprin? YES is the reply...
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Thanks for the heads up. I
    Thanks for the heads up. I am already taking a 81 mg Ecotrin every day.

Hugs

Donna
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I've taken a lo dose aspirin
    I've taken a lo dose aspirin every day since my heart attack in 2008. It makes sense to me that it could help with cancer as scientists are discovering so many illnesses are associated with inflammation. Ask your doc!