THE DR TOLD ME THE CAUSE OF UC!

Teemac
Teemac Member Posts: 26
HI EVERYBODY! HOPE EVERYONE IS DOING GOOD! I THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE THIS LITTLE TIDBIT WITH EVERYONE. I WENT IN YESTERDAY TO SEE MY FAMILY DR FOR A PHYSICAL SO THAT I CAN GET A MEDICAL CLEARANCE LETTER FROM HIM FOR MY SURGERY. I WILL NOT BORE YOU WITH HOW HORIABLE THIS DR WAS. I WILL TELL YOU THOU HE SEEMS TO THINK HE HAS SOLVED WHAT CAUSES UTERINE CANCER. ACCORDING TO HIM. I WOULD NOT HAVE UC IF I WAS NOT OVERWEIGHT. WHILE I KNOW THAT MY BEING OVERWEIGHT IS A FACTOR IN UC. THIS DR SEEMS TO THINK IT IS THE ONLY REASON FOR IT. NEEDLESS TO SAY AFTER BEING THERE FOR TWO AND A HALF HOURS HE STILL WOULD NOT GIVE ME A MEDICAL CLEAREANCE LETTER. I AM GOING TO SEE A NEW DR NOW ON FRIDAY.

TEE

Comments

• upsofloating
    upsofloating Member Posts: 466 Member
    What a jerk! There is no
    What a jerk! There is no 'one' cause of cancer. I don't have a weight issue and I've had 2 different cancers. But I'm sorry to hear he would not even give you surgery clearance. Hang in there. Annie
  • jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379

What a jerk! There is no
    What a jerk! There is no 'one' cause of cancer. I don't have a weight issue and I've had 2 different cancers. But I'm sorry to hear he would not even give you surgery clearance. Hang in there. Annie

Crazy!
    I wish it were that easy to tell us WE'RE OVER WEIGHT AND THAT'S WHY WE CONTRACTED UT???? Well...I'm far from overweight and an avid workout person.

Get a new doc he's just blowing hot air up your skirt and billing you!!

Good luck and sorry you now have to find a new doctor....hang in there~

Jan
  • Always Hopeful
    Always Hopeful Member Posts: 234
    Hang in there!
    What a great help that doc was, Tee. What an idiot! For what reason didn't he clear you for surgery?...being overweight? I'm so sorry you're going through this. Like you don't have enough stress, now you have to go and find another doc to clear you. Hang in there and try to stay calm.

Peace and hope,

JJ
  • nempark
    nempark Member Posts: 681
    What a Pig
    Is that even legal. Let your oncologist know about this and ask them to call and ask him what is the reason for not giving you clearance. So sorry to hear this at this time when you are so stressed, but you have us. Hope you get another doc soon. Love and best wishes June.
  • Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    What a jerk! To deal with
    What a jerk! To deal with uterine cancer is one thing, but no one should be able to treat you that way. Well the best thing that will happen is that you no longer will have to see him!

My suggestion now is leave the experience behind you. Move on and find the right doctor for you!

Sorry you had to be treated that way.

My best to you.

Kathy
  • maggie_wilson
    maggie_wilson Member Posts: 596
    that is one bad doctor dude
    it almost seems like malpractice to give you that information which is so patently wrong. i was hardly overweight myself. he sounds a little crazy as well; you'll be so much better off without him, i'm sure your next doctor will give you a medical clearance, and i second the motion that you repeat everything the first doctor said to you to the second, and frankly i would consider making a call and complaint to the american medical association. remember, he's not supposed to do any harm, and he has. make sure you take good care of yourself.

sisterhood,
    maggie
  • kkstef
    kkstef Member Posts: 688 Member
    No time for a Jerk of a Doctor!
    Tee, I am so sorry that you were treated in such a shabby manner! That is just not right!! I am very happy that you have another doctor to see so quickly and I am counting that in addition to getting a medical release, you will be treated with dignity and compassion!!

Hang in there TEE.....we are all here with you!!

Thinking of you!

Karen
  • Cindy Bear
    Cindy Bear Member Posts: 569
    Miralax
    I hope you're not going to see this A** again, but if you do, please bring him a big bottle of Miralax as he's obviously FOS!!!!! :)
    Cancer strikes the young, the old, the tall, short, the overweight and underweight and everyone in between . The boards are full of women who were active, healthy and don't fall into any known category. There's more than one type of Uterine cancer. Yes there's a laundry list of possible risk factors but they can't say definitively what does or does not cause it and who will or will not get it. Good luck to you.
  • Always Hopeful

Miralax
    I hope you're not going to see this A** again, but if you do, please bring him a big bottle of Miralax as he's obviously FOS!!!!! :)
    Cancer strikes the young, the old, the tall, short, the overweight and underweight and everyone in between . The boards are full of women who were active, healthy and don't fall into any known category. There's more than one type of Uterine cancer. Yes there's a laundry list of possible risk factors but they can't say definitively what does or does not cause it and who will or will not get it. Good luck to you.

I like your style!
    I love your Miralax suggestion...thanks for my first belly laugh of the day!!! I may have to use your line for other situations...it so perfectly and concisely tells it like it is!

Peace and hope, JJ
  • daisy366
    daisy366 Member Posts: 1,458 Member

I like your style!
    I love your Miralax suggestion...thanks for my first belly laugh of the day!!! I may have to use your line for other situations...it so perfectly and concisely tells it like it is!

Peace and hope, JJ

Tee
    Good for you that you are not going to accept this abuse. As many have already said, many of us - me included - have NONE of the risk factors!!!

When I asked my doc about what might have contributed to my getting UPSC - particularly rare and aggressive, he said "bad luck...like getting struck by lightning". Who really knows the answers to these questions. Stress can be a major contributor to disease. I am more and more convinced about this.

Bravo that you will see another doc - I hope a gyn-oncologist. Best wishes and peace to you as you march on with all of us.

Mary Ann
  • Cecile Louise
    Cecile Louise Member Posts: 133
    Good for you, Tee
    I'm glad you're dumping this ignorant so-and-so and finding a new doctor! His arrogance really burns me up. I wonder what Dr. Clueless would say caused my cancer, then? I never had a weight issue and was dx with UPSC + endometrioid. Sheesh. I am very very glad you are seeing a new doctor – good for you! Please let us know how your appointment goes.

Love,
    Cecile
  • hopeful girl 1
    hopeful girl 1 Member Posts: 454

Good for you, Tee
    I'm glad you're dumping this ignorant so-and-so and finding a new doctor! His arrogance really burns me up. I wonder what Dr. Clueless would say caused my cancer, then? I never had a weight issue and was dx with UPSC + endometrioid. Sheesh. I am very very glad you are seeing a new doctor – good for you! Please let us know how your appointment goes.

Love,
    Cecile

I agree with Mary Ann
    Hopefully your new doc will be a gyne-oncologist-surgeon. Mine is, and is very compassionate, and has handled my care from the surgery, to the chemo, and he consulted with the radiation oncologist as well as as team. Who better to call the shots on your chemo and care than the surgeon who has seen your insides and knows exactly what is going on.

I had a bad experience with the first doctor I went to as well. The doctor I am with now, is where I went for second opinion.

Best of luck and hugs to you.

Cindy
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member

I agree with Mary Ann
    Hopefully your new doc will be a gyne-oncologist-surgeon. Mine is, and is very compassionate, and has handled my care from the surgery, to the chemo, and he consulted with the radiation oncologist as well as as team. Who better to call the shots on your chemo and care than the surgeon who has seen your insides and knows exactly what is going on.

I had a bad experience with the first doctor I went to as well. The doctor I am with now, is where I went for second opinion.

Best of luck and hugs to you.

Cindy

What have you done about this?
    Tee-
    I had a similar experience with a gynecologist before my diagnosis. I was (since 2 surgeries and chemo for breast cancer, I'm now down 25 lbs) about 35 lbs. overweight. When I met this woman for the first time for an endometrial biopsy, I asked her if I was a candidate for a hysterectomy regardless of the results of the biopsy because this was my third time I'd had symptoms and endometrial biopsies, and I did not want to be old and then be diagnosed with endometrial cancer and need surgery as an old(er) woman. She said yes, but then poked me in the belly and said "this is what I'm worried about". She went on to say that I was a surgical risk because of my weight, my incisions might not heal well, and she didn't want me dying on her table! Thank God, she referred me to a gynecologic oncologist when my biopsy came back suspicious for endometrial cancer! She scared the you know what out of me. I did immediately start walking again and watching what I ate, because I was facing 2 surgeries - one for breast cancer and then a hysterectomy for the endo cancer and figured I could at least be in the best possible shape given the amount of time I had. When I saw the gyn onco I told him the story and how worried I was about surgery even tho I survived my breast surgery. He looked rather annoyed and said I was at least 300 down on the list of overweight women he performs surgery on. He did say that weight played a role in surgical risk and risk of developing endometrial and breast cancers. Never, however, did he make me feel like my weight was the cause of either my breast cancer or endo cancer. It's simply a potential risk factor. Some women get cancer with no known risk factors!

I've told every doctor I've seen throughout this ordeal the story. I tell it not in an angry way, but just as part of my journey and how frightened I was of having surgery. I hope one of them says something to this woman! Probably not, but they all have seemed rather surprised, and I feel better telling this to her peers.

So, Tee, I totally sympathize with your anger. Now I want to know why the jerk did not give you clearance and if you've seen someone else now, and if your surgery has been scheduled yet.

Good luck,
    Suzanne
  • susafina
    susafina Member Posts: 131

What have you done about this?
    Tee-
    I had a similar experience with a gynecologist before my diagnosis. I was (since 2 surgeries and chemo for breast cancer, I'm now down 25 lbs) about 35 lbs. overweight. When I met this woman for the first time for an endometrial biopsy, I asked her if I was a candidate for a hysterectomy regardless of the results of the biopsy because this was my third time I'd had symptoms and endometrial biopsies, and I did not want to be old and then be diagnosed with endometrial cancer and need surgery as an old(er) woman. She said yes, but then poked me in the belly and said "this is what I'm worried about". She went on to say that I was a surgical risk because of my weight, my incisions might not heal well, and she didn't want me dying on her table! Thank God, she referred me to a gynecologic oncologist when my biopsy came back suspicious for endometrial cancer! She scared the you know what out of me. I did immediately start walking again and watching what I ate, because I was facing 2 surgeries - one for breast cancer and then a hysterectomy for the endo cancer and figured I could at least be in the best possible shape given the amount of time I had. When I saw the gyn onco I told him the story and how worried I was about surgery even tho I survived my breast surgery. He looked rather annoyed and said I was at least 300 down on the list of overweight women he performs surgery on. He did say that weight played a role in surgical risk and risk of developing endometrial and breast cancers. Never, however, did he make me feel like my weight was the cause of either my breast cancer or endo cancer. It's simply a potential risk factor. Some women get cancer with no known risk factors!

I've told every doctor I've seen throughout this ordeal the story. I tell it not in an angry way, but just as part of my journey and how frightened I was of having surgery. I hope one of them says something to this woman! Probably not, but they all have seemed rather surprised, and I feel better telling this to her peers.

So, Tee, I totally sympathize with your anger. Now I want to know why the jerk did not give you clearance and if you've seen someone else now, and if your surgery has been scheduled yet.

Good luck,
    Suzanne

What an Idiot
    TAE,
    I love when doctors blame everything on being overweight! Give me a break. It really aggravates me when I hear this. You wonder why people don't go to doctors for routine screening. This is a perfect reason. I am glad you are seeing someone new. Good Luck and let us know.
    SUE
  • cathyK
    cathyK Member Posts: 93
    Tee,. you must have been to the same doctor as I had! my FOMRER doc said almost the same thing, if I were not overweight ,,,,,,,,,, that was the only reason I got uterine cancer, yep , and I got rid of him, not fast enough but did fire him, I am with a wonderful doc who says yes overweight is one of may symptoms and surprise surprise there are many women with uc who are quite fit, most will say they were quite healthy before the cancer diagnosis, check out the new doc fully! make sure they are on the same page as you are, full recovery!
    praying for ya !
    cathy
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    cathyK said:

Tee,. you must have been to the same doctor as I had! my FOMRER doc said almost the same thing, if I were not overweight ,,,,,,,,,, that was the only reason I got uterine cancer, yep , and I got rid of him, not fast enough but did fire him, I am with a wonderful doc who says yes overweight is one of may symptoms and surprise surprise there are many women with uc who are quite fit, most will say they were quite healthy before the cancer diagnosis, check out the new doc fully! make sure they are on the same page as you are, full recovery!
    praying for ya !
    cathy

I taught aerobics, was a lifelong Size 4, & got uterine cancer!
    I've always been a 'gym rat', and worked as an aerobics & yoga instructor for years, and my top pre-cancer weight EVER was 126 (and I am 5'7" tall). I have been an organic gardener for 20 years and always eaten a high fiber diet diet rich in organic fruits and vegetables. At the time of my uterine cancer diagnosis (picked up during a routine annual PAP test initially!) I was working out 6 days a week, had absolutely NO symptoms of any kind. So don't let anyone tell you only fat women get uterine cancer. I WISH I had the type of highly-curable uterine cancer that is estrogen-driven and associated with being overweight!! The most deadly aggressive forms of uterine cancer are largely symptom-free, and happen to women with NONE of the 'contributing factors' that might make them a candidate to get uterine cancer. Stay away from anyone that makes you feel your cancer is your fault in any way.
  • Teemac
    MEDICAL CLEARANCE
    THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL THE SUPPORT. THE LAST COUPLE OF WEEKS HAVE BEEN AN EMOTIONAL ROLLERCOASTER. I GOT A NEW DR WHO IS WONDERFULL. I REALLY LIKE HIM. HE HAS BEEN WORKING CLOSELY WITH ME AND HELPING ME OUT QUITE A BIT. I HAVE MY MEDICAL CLEARANCE LETTER AND EVERYTHING IS SET. I HAVE SURGERY ON THE 11TH. THE CLOSE IT GETS THE MORE SCARED I AM. I HAVE FAITH THAT EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE GOOD AND I AM GOING TO COME THROUGH WITH FLYING COLORS. WHAT SCARES ME IS THE RECOVERY AFTER. I DON'T DO PAIN WELL AND I CAN NOT SWALLOW PILLS. AS IF THAT IS NOT ENOUGTH THE CLOSER IT GETS THE MORE MY EMOTIONS SEEM TO RUN AWAY ON ME. I SEE A BABY AND I BURST INTO TEARS. MY NEPHEWS HUG ME AND I START TO CRY. ONE OF MY FRIENDS TELLS ME SHE IS PREGRANT WITH HER SECOND CHILD. I AM THE GODMOTHER OF HER FIRST CHILD AND SHE WANTS ME TO BE GODMOTHER FOR THIS ONE TWO. I TOLD HER I WOULD THINK ABOUT IT. I DO NOT KNOW THAT I CAN MUSTER UP THE STRENGTH KNOWING ALL I EVER WILL BE IS GODMOTHER OR AUNT. IS IT WRONG THAT IT JUST MAKES ME CRY. I FEEL THAT PART OF MY LIFE IS ENDING AND I NEED TO FIGURE OUT HOW AND WHERE THIS NEW CHAPTER IS GOING. I KNOW I WILL GET LOTS OF SUPPORT FROM THE COURAGEOUS WOMEN ON THIS SITE.
  • Always Hopeful
    Teemac said:

MEDICAL CLEARANCE
    THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL THE SUPPORT. THE LAST COUPLE OF WEEKS HAVE BEEN AN EMOTIONAL ROLLERCOASTER. I GOT A NEW DR WHO IS WONDERFULL. I REALLY LIKE HIM. HE HAS BEEN WORKING CLOSELY WITH ME AND HELPING ME OUT QUITE A BIT. I HAVE MY MEDICAL CLEARANCE LETTER AND EVERYTHING IS SET. I HAVE SURGERY ON THE 11TH. THE CLOSE IT GETS THE MORE SCARED I AM. I HAVE FAITH THAT EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE GOOD AND I AM GOING TO COME THROUGH WITH FLYING COLORS. WHAT SCARES ME IS THE RECOVERY AFTER. I DON'T DO PAIN WELL AND I CAN NOT SWALLOW PILLS. AS IF THAT IS NOT ENOUGTH THE CLOSER IT GETS THE MORE MY EMOTIONS SEEM TO RUN AWAY ON ME. I SEE A BABY AND I BURST INTO TEARS. MY NEPHEWS HUG ME AND I START TO CRY. ONE OF MY FRIENDS TELLS ME SHE IS PREGRANT WITH HER SECOND CHILD. I AM THE GODMOTHER OF HER FIRST CHILD AND SHE WANTS ME TO BE GODMOTHER FOR THIS ONE TWO. I TOLD HER I WOULD THINK ABOUT IT. I DO NOT KNOW THAT I CAN MUSTER UP THE STRENGTH KNOWING ALL I EVER WILL BE IS GODMOTHER OR AUNT. IS IT WRONG THAT IT JUST MAKES ME CRY. I FEEL THAT PART OF MY LIFE IS ENDING AND I NEED TO FIGURE OUT HOW AND WHERE THIS NEW CHAPTER IS GOING. I KNOW I WILL GET LOTS OF SUPPORT FROM THE COURAGEOUS WOMEN ON THIS SITE.

Good to hear from you
    I am so happy to hear that your experience with your new doc is a positive one. That other one was a real jerk!

Don't be so hard on yourself. Your emotions are your emotions. Hearing that you have cancer is not an easy thing to deal with. Knowing, too, that surgery will prevent you from having children of your own certainly does add to everything you are feeling. There are many support groups that may be able to help you with these feelings...at your hospital, through the American Cancer Society etc.

I do hope that you come through your surgery as easily as I did mine. I had the "old fashioned" abdominal surgery on March 22, 2010. Once I left the recovery area, I did not require any pain meds and made it my business to walk the halls of the hospital as often as possible. I was discharged after 5 days (I had to stay an extra day because of a fever) and recovered quite easily. I was very lucky...you can be too!

Peace and hope, JJ
  • Teemac

Good to hear from you
    I am so happy to hear that your experience with your new doc is a positive one. That other one was a real jerk!

Don't be so hard on yourself. Your emotions are your emotions. Hearing that you have cancer is not an easy thing to deal with. Knowing, too, that surgery will prevent you from having children of your own certainly does add to everything you are feeling. There are many support groups that may be able to help you with these feelings...at your hospital, through the American Cancer Society etc.

I do hope that you come through your surgery as easily as I did mine. I had the "old fashioned" abdominal surgery on March 22, 2010. Once I left the recovery area, I did not require any pain meds and made it my business to walk the halls of the hospital as often as possible. I was discharged after 5 days (I had to stay an extra day because of a fever) and recovered quite easily. I was very lucky...you can be too!

Peace and hope, JJ

5 DAYS
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT! I AM HAVING THE OLD FASHION SURGERY AS WELL. GOING TO HAVE A BATTLE SCAR TO PROVE IT. YOU WHERE IN FOR FIVE DAYS?? MY DR SAID I WOULD ONLY BE IN TWO TO THREE DAYS. I AM HAVING SURGERY ABOUT AN HOUR AND A HALF FROM HOME SO I AM HOPING TO BE OUT IN THREE DAYS AT THE MOST. THEY ARE BEING NICE AND LETTING MY HUSBAND STAY WITH ME THE WHOLE TIME I AM IN THE HOSPITAL. SO THE WALKING HELPS? I HEAR I AM GOING TO NEED A BODY PILL TO BE ABLE TO SLEEP COMFORTABLE WHEN I GET HOME. GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE DOING SO WELL.

TEE
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Teemac said:

5 DAYS
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT! I AM HAVING THE OLD FASHION SURGERY AS WELL. GOING TO HAVE A BATTLE SCAR TO PROVE IT. YOU WHERE IN FOR FIVE DAYS?? MY DR SAID I WOULD ONLY BE IN TWO TO THREE DAYS. I AM HAVING SURGERY ABOUT AN HOUR AND A HALF FROM HOME SO I AM HOPING TO BE OUT IN THREE DAYS AT THE MOST. THEY ARE BEING NICE AND LETTING MY HUSBAND STAY WITH ME THE WHOLE TIME I AM IN THE HOSPITAL. SO THE WALKING HELPS? I HEAR I AM GOING TO NEED A BODY PILL TO BE ABLE TO SLEEP COMFORTABLE WHEN I GET HOME. GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE DOING SO WELL.

TEE

Get out of bed and walk as soon as you can after surgery.
    I won't tell you that it won't hurt because I remember how SHOCKED I was at how awful I felt after my surgery. But there are many things you can do to quicken your recovery. Getting up and walking (with someone's arm to lean on or a railing!) the day after surgery and every day after that is probably the most important thing you can do. Your 'innards' will all be asleep for a long time after surgery and you will have no bowel function until you 'wake up' inside. The longer you stay in bed and on pain killers, the longer it will take for bowel function to return. & for me, non-functioning bowels was the WORST part of the surgery. I made the mistake of eating the food they brought me in the hospital, thinking it would help me recover. With no bowel function, the food either came right back up (and vomiting with staples holding you together is scary!) or rotted inside me causing gas to build up that I couldn't 'fart away'. So, I encourage you to stick to fluids and keep eating solid food to a bare minimum until you have bowel function again. Take only enough pain killers that you can get out of bed and walk and get off of them as soon as you can as they are very constipating at a time when you will already be afraid to have a bowel movement. And walk so that your intestines settle back where they belong and your body starts functioning again.

This sounds scary as I read it back. I don't want to make you anxious! Each day after your surgery you will get stronger and feel better. And you can help a lot by walking and not eating many solids until bowel function returns, and weaning yourself off pain killers as soon as you can. ((((Hugs))). I only stayed 2 nights after my open-abdoemn surgery.

OH: almost forgot! I was advised that a month BEFORE my surgery to start eating a high fiber diet so that my digestion would be in tip-top shape before the surgery. And it was also suggested that I take "Slow-FE", a time-release iron supplement, for the month prior to my surgery, in case I had a lot of blood loss during surgery. I know that you can also 'bank' your own blood just in case, but I didn't do that and didn't need a transfusion anyway.

You can do this. I wish you didn't have to. But is is do-able. (((((hugs))))))