Moms with young kids

2»

Comments

• RebeccaB
    RebeccaB Member Posts: 1
    Hi Nancy,
    I was recently

Hi Nancy,
    I was recently diagnosed at age 38 with stage 1A Ovarian cancer. However, I am going through chemo since my tumor grade was a 3. I am currently in treatment. I have a 3 yr old & a 1 yr old. You are correct that it is hard to find other women with little kids with ovarian cancer. I have found a few. Now they are much older which is always nice to hear. Like you I am mainly concerned with my kids. I want to see them grow. This is my first time on this website, so I am just trying to figure out how it all works. I hope you are doing well now.

Rebecca
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I have a 14 year old son and
    I have a 14 year old son and a 9 year old daughter. From day one, I have been open and honest with them. The social worker at Kaiser helped me find age appropriate information for them to read, and I took them to my chemo class.

At first, I was very worried about them. How were they feeling? Are they scared? But they have been so resilient. I have found my daughter be more compassionate than I realized, and she is staying "snuggly" longer.

One day I gave my son some material to read. As teenagers do, he got some attitude about reading it. When I pushed he finally said, "Mom, you're trying to protect me from YOUR cancer. But you can't do that. It's YOURS, and you can't protect me from that."

I doubt this helps, except to let you know that whatever the age, we all have concerns for our families. And that you will find support and compassion here.

Hugs to you,

Linda
  • Hi Nancy
    I am 31 yrs old with a six year old...My son had one concern; he didn't want people to laugh at my bald head.. After I reassured him they wouldn't, he wanted to show everyone my head :)...
  • pinkflutterby
    pinkflutterby Member Posts: 615 Member

Hi Nancy
    I am 31 yrs old with a six year old...My son had one concern; he didn't want people to laugh at my bald head.. After I reassured him they wouldn't, he wanted to show everyone my head :)...

Hi Nancy, and welcome!
    I am 43 and have 3 children 25, 22 and 9 and two granddaughters 6 & 3. My youngest daughter has good and bad days. I find notes where she has scribbled "cancer sucks" "it can kill you" Makes me feel so bad for her. Her school has been great, giving her a little lee way and the counseling staff sent home some books for her read. This year the kids in her class had to make "about me" posters and her lead in was "My mom has cancer, it scares me".

My 3 year old granddaughter will ask me things like "do you have cancer today Gammie?"

Poor kids, I think its so hard on all of them, regardless of their age.

Were all here for you if you need anything.
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Hi Nancy
    Glad you came on over! :) I"m 44 and have a 10 yr. old son and 5 year old daughter. I was diagnosed 9 years ago with stage 2 BC. My son was about 15 months old when I was diagnosed. My daughter was a total miracle baby. I had one ovary and had gone through chemo. The fertility doctor told us I had a less than 3% chance of having a baby with my own eggs. Well, God had other plans! She is our little "special" angle. She has Down syndrome, but is anything BUT a downer!! LOL. She's the joy and clown of the family who always makes us laugh!!

Anyway...I know it's hard to go through cancer with little one. So many different worries and emotions. You just have keep a positive attitude, keep fighting and enjoy the life you've been blessed with!!

Sally
  • sal314 said:

Hi Nancy
    Glad you came on over! :) I"m 44 and have a 10 yr. old son and 5 year old daughter. I was diagnosed 9 years ago with stage 2 BC. My son was about 15 months old when I was diagnosed. My daughter was a total miracle baby. I had one ovary and had gone through chemo. The fertility doctor told us I had a less than 3% chance of having a baby with my own eggs. Well, God had other plans! She is our little "special" angle. She has Down syndrome, but is anything BUT a downer!! LOL. She's the joy and clown of the family who always makes us laugh!!

Anyway...I know it's hard to go through cancer with little one. So many different worries and emotions. You just have keep a positive attitude, keep fighting and enjoy the life you've been blessed with!!

Sally

Hi Nancy! I have never
    Hi Nancy!

I have never posted here before but Moms with young kids....well, thats me! I was diagnosed almost 3 weeks ago - so I am still waiting on all sorts of results to see whats next. My oldest daughter turned 3 in July and my youngest turned 1 in August. I am 31 and was starting to wean my baby when I found the lump.

Lumpectomy is scheduled for Friday. Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy tomorrow. MRI showed clean nodes so I hope that rings true in the biopsy. So far I know its invasive, small (1.1cm), ER+/PR+/HER-....I think thats all good, right? Oh man I have a lot to learn!

Just wanted to say hi...to all of you out there!

~ Heather
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member

Hi Nancy! I have never
    Hi Nancy!

I have never posted here before but Moms with young kids....well, thats me! I was diagnosed almost 3 weeks ago - so I am still waiting on all sorts of results to see whats next. My oldest daughter turned 3 in July and my youngest turned 1 in August. I am 31 and was starting to wean my baby when I found the lump.

Lumpectomy is scheduled for Friday. Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy tomorrow. MRI showed clean nodes so I hope that rings true in the biopsy. So far I know its invasive, small (1.1cm), ER+/PR+/HER-....I think thats all good, right? Oh man I have a lot to learn!

Just wanted to say hi...to all of you out there!

~ Heather

Hi Heather!!
    I just wanted to welcome you to this amazing group. You can get any questions answered, show of support and encouragement and just plain good 'ole friendship here. I do not have young children and I am sure this presents its own set of challenges for you moms. We're here for you, so please continue to post and we'll help you along your journey. Take care.
  • Punkindo
    Punkindo Member Posts: 113
    Hi!!!
    I am 41 and have two children. The princess is 10 and my rapscallion is 6. They are what kept me going. They gave me the strength I needed to fight. I had 2 surgeries, chemo, and radiation. My kids kept me going thru it all!!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Punkindo said:

Hi!!!
    I am 41 and have two children. The princess is 10 and my rapscallion is 6. They are what kept me going. They gave me the strength I needed to fight. I had 2 surgeries, chemo, and radiation. My kids kept me going thru it all!!

Bumping this post up .. I still consider myself
    young .. forty's .. 2 teen-aged kids ... youngest just started college!

My kids really cared and worried about me during my chemo treatments, surgeries .. however, as soon as my hair started to grow back .. things quickly returned to normal .. had to remind my kids to pick up after themselves (LOL), etc..

Getting back to normal .. what a wonderful thought!

Best of luck to all you 'Young Mothers' ...

Strength, Courage and Patience :D

•☆.•*´¨`*••♥ Vicki Sam ♥••*´¨`*•.☆•
  • juanita76
    juanita76 Member Posts: 22
    Hello,
    I am 34yrs old i have

Hello,
    I am 34yrs old i have a 6yr old son a 5yr old girl and a baby 2yr old girl. Yea its hard because they are too little to understand and i cant take care of them as i would like because im too tired at times. I have breast cancer and just started the chemo treatments
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    juanita76 said:

Hello,
    I am 34yrs old i have

Hello,
    I am 34yrs old i have a 6yr old son a 5yr old girl and a baby 2yr old girl. Yea its hard because they are too little to understand and i cant take care of them as i would like because im too tired at times. I have breast cancer and just started the chemo treatments

Juanita76 .. Welcome to our Board ...
    We have several women . with young children .. Heatherbelle, comes to my mind right now - maybe she will join in on this post..

Sorry you had to find us, but we are glad you did. We are here 24/7.

Strength and Courage:

•☆.•*´¨`*••♥ Vicki Sam ♥••*´¨`*•.☆•