Moms with young kids

nancy591
nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello,
I am from the ovarian board but I've come looking to connect with Moms who have young kids. I am stage IV ovarain. I am 42yrs old. I have a 4yr old, 6yr old and a 22yr old. Ovarian is mostly a post menopausal disease. I'm having a tough time finding women with young kids. Since breast cancer is much more common than ovarian I thought I might have better luck on this board.
Wishing you all a happy holiday.
Nancy

Comments

• Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Hi and Welcome
    Yes we have several young moms on here and I'm sure you will be hearing back from them. I just wanted to welcome you and wish you a joyous holiday season.

Jadie<3
  • Chrispea
    Chrispea Member Posts: 123 Member
    Hi,
    I'm 42, too. I have a 13

Hi,

I'm 42, too. I have a 13 year old and an 11 year old.

I think, the hardest part for me is pretending that I'm "normal". I try to put my wig on everyday so I look normal. The only time I don't wear my wig, besides bed, is the day I get chemo and one or two days after because I'm tired and just need to lay down.

Kids are brutally honest, and my son told me he doesn't like when I just wear a hat, he likes when I wear my wig. I haven't shown anyone my bald head yet, heck, I haven't even looked at the whole thing myself... I guess it helps me some what. I will eventually look at it.

Another hard part was telling them that I had cancer because my mom died Dec. 27, 2007 of stomach cancer, so I needed to explain to my kids that my cancer wasn't like grandma's and that the doctors would make me better, but that I was going to be sick (and bald) for a while.

Good luck to you,
    Chris
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Chrispea said:

Hi,
    I'm 42, too. I have a 13

Hi,

I'm 42, too. I have a 13 year old and an 11 year old.

I think, the hardest part for me is pretending that I'm "normal". I try to put my wig on everyday so I look normal. The only time I don't wear my wig, besides bed, is the day I get chemo and one or two days after because I'm tired and just need to lay down.

Kids are brutally honest, and my son told me he doesn't like when I just wear a hat, he likes when I wear my wig. I haven't shown anyone my bald head yet, heck, I haven't even looked at the whole thing myself... I guess it helps me some what. I will eventually look at it.

Another hard part was telling them that I had cancer because my mom died Dec. 27, 2007 of stomach cancer, so I needed to explain to my kids that my cancer wasn't like grandma's and that the doctors would make me better, but that I was going to be sick (and bald) for a while.

Good luck to you,
    Chris

Hi Nancy
    Hi Nancy,
    I am 45 and was 44 when I was diagnosed with a 5 year old. He is now 6 and he has been awesome explaining everything to his friends if they ask. He also helps around the house after I nag at him.

Happy Holidays to all.

Margo
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Nancy, I just wanted to
    Nancy, I just wanted to welcome you to this board. I'm not a mom with young kids, my daughter is 24, but we do have some young moms on here. I'm sure they'll be sharing their stories with you soon. Best of luck to you and have a wonderful holiday season with your family.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Nancy, I just wanted to
    Nancy, I just wanted to welcome you to this board. I'm not a mom with young kids, my daughter is 24, but we do have some young moms on here. I'm sure they'll be sharing their stories with you soon. Best of luck to you and have a wonderful holiday season with your family.

Hi Nancy
    I am old (55) no young ones anymore. I just wanted to welcome you. Hope we can help.
  • tjhay
    tjhay Member Posts: 655
    Kat11 said:

Hi Nancy
    I am old (55) no young ones anymore. I just wanted to welcome you. Hope we can help.

Hi Nancy, welcome, there are
    Hi Nancy, welcome, there are many moms with young children here,and even more with young grandchildren, any and all of us are here for you. Anytime, we are all sisters in the battle against the beast no matter its form
    tj
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    tjhay said:

Hi Nancy, welcome, there are
    Hi Nancy, welcome, there are many moms with young children here,and even more with young grandchildren, any and all of us are here for you. Anytime, we are all sisters in the battle against the beast no matter its form
    tj

Hi Nancy
    and welcome to our vibrant community.
    I was 46 when I was diagnosed. My son is 22 now.
    We have many sisters with small children and i am sure they will get in touch with you.
    Please stay with us as we discuss variety of problems, including young children and everyday living.
    New Flower
  • Sharon40
    Sharon40 Member Posts: 93
    Just one daughter for me
    I am 40 and have a 7 year old daughter. The hardest part for me (like most of us I assume) was telling my daughter I had cancer. She has been a trooper through all of this ... chemo and all its glory as well as surgery and its ups and downs right here at Christmas time! Thank goodness for my wonderful husband and our family and friends! They have all remembered her and have gone above and beyond to help her through this. I know she is the reason I am able to keep going each day!

I hope your kids have somehow managed this as well. We choose to tell ours (in 2nd grade terms) what was going on. We tried to hide it for a few weeks, but she was way to smart and knew something was up. We decided from then on to be as honest as possible and keep her in the loop. It made life a lot less stressful!! She doesn't like my bald head, so I do try and keep it covered for her sake, but she is dealing with it as best she can.

Hope you and your family have a great Christmas!
  • denbralou
    denbralou Member Posts: 66
    Sharon40 said:

Just one daughter for me
    I am 40 and have a 7 year old daughter. The hardest part for me (like most of us I assume) was telling my daughter I had cancer. She has been a trooper through all of this ... chemo and all its glory as well as surgery and its ups and downs right here at Christmas time! Thank goodness for my wonderful husband and our family and friends! They have all remembered her and have gone above and beyond to help her through this. I know she is the reason I am able to keep going each day!

I hope your kids have somehow managed this as well. We choose to tell ours (in 2nd grade terms) what was going on. We tried to hide it for a few weeks, but she was way to smart and knew something was up. We decided from then on to be as honest as possible and keep her in the loop. It made life a lot less stressful!! She doesn't like my bald head, so I do try and keep it covered for her sake, but she is dealing with it as best she can.

Hope you and your family have a great Christmas!

Hi Nancy
    Hi Nancy, I am 43 years old with a 9 year old daughter. It is hard trying to explain to her how sick I may be getting with chemo, etc. I just started my first dose of chemo on Monday and am awaiting the side effects to this. All these ladies on her are so supportive, so anytime you need to talk, someone will always respond. Denise
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member

Hi Nancy
    and welcome to our vibrant community.
    I was 46 when I was diagnosed. My son is 22 now.
    We have many sisters with small children and i am sure they will get in touch with you.
    Please stay with us as we discuss variety of problems, including young children and everyday living.
    New Flower

Hi Nancy and welcome! There
    Hi Nancy and welcome! There are several on here with young kids, so, you should be seeing them post to you. Wishing you luck!

Debby
  • jensaavedra
    jensaavedra Member Posts: 3
    Young mom with 3 daughters- 6, 3, and 1
    Hi, I was just diagnosed with cancer June 30th- at that time I was 34 and my daughters were 5, 2, and 9 months.... it was hard- the only thing I could think of was my girls- not the fact that I had cancer and what I would have to go through, but them. The fact that I was allowed to give birth to 3 beautiful girls and may not have the chance to see them grow up.
    I was diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma primary unknown (which means they have no idea where it started) in my lungs and lymph nodes (in my chest, abdonmen, and pelvic area). Because it's this type of cancer and added with the fact that the primary source is unknown- the average survival rate is 1-2 years. UGH!!
    Although I lived in a state of shock for the first few months after I heard my prognosis- I am now fighting with everything I have. I have had 4 rounds of chemo (taxol and carboplatin) which knocks me on my butt for the first 5 days... so far we've seen some change in the cancer, but not enough to satisfy my husband and I or even my oncologist.... we may introduce some radiation to the lymph nodes.
    Some days I am very scared, other days I just don't think about it- because my will to survive is stronger....
    Anyone who hasn't heard of it- Caringbridge.org is a GREAT resource to use to keep your family and friends updated- mine is http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jennifersaavedra
    Also, there is a great resource out there called www.lookgoodfeelbetter.org that helps with wigs, hats, scarves, and makeup. Also, a home cleaning resource for women with cancer: http://www.cleaningforareason.org

Merry Christmas everyone- and I will pray for all of us that 2010 brings remission and joy!
  • newbiefromcananda
    newbiefromcananda Member Posts: 234
    welcome... Iam 38 years old
    welcome... Iam 38 years old and have 4 children.. 19, 16, 15 and 11.. not sure if I can help but I am here to talk if you need too.... happy holidays (((hugs))) Lisa
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    Kids
    Hi,

I am a second time bc patient. I have a 17, 13, and 11 year old. The first time I had it was five years ago. I know what you are going through. It's tough to keep everything normal and have time for an occasional breakdown. Just make sure to take time for yourself every now and then. Let family or friends take the kids so you can have some time to yourself.
    Happy Holidays and I hope your treatment goes well!
  • nancy591
    overwhelming response
    I am floored at how many of us are out there. I know no matter what age you are cancer is not easy. I tend to feel sorrier for myself because I have young kids. On some level it does bring some comfort to know others are struggling with the same issues. Thank you for all your responses
  • nancy591

Young mom with 3 daughters- 6, 3, and 1
    Hi, I was just diagnosed with cancer June 30th- at that time I was 34 and my daughters were 5, 2, and 9 months.... it was hard- the only thing I could think of was my girls- not the fact that I had cancer and what I would have to go through, but them. The fact that I was allowed to give birth to 3 beautiful girls and may not have the chance to see them grow up.
    I was diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma primary unknown (which means they have no idea where it started) in my lungs and lymph nodes (in my chest, abdonmen, and pelvic area). Because it's this type of cancer and added with the fact that the primary source is unknown- the average survival rate is 1-2 years. UGH!!
    Although I lived in a state of shock for the first few months after I heard my prognosis- I am now fighting with everything I have. I have had 4 rounds of chemo (taxol and carboplatin) which knocks me on my butt for the first 5 days... so far we've seen some change in the cancer, but not enough to satisfy my husband and I or even my oncologist.... we may introduce some radiation to the lymph nodes.
    Some days I am very scared, other days I just don't think about it- because my will to survive is stronger....
    Anyone who hasn't heard of it- Caringbridge.org is a GREAT resource to use to keep your family and friends updated- mine is http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jennifersaavedra
    Also, there is a great resource out there called www.lookgoodfeelbetter.org that helps with wigs, hats, scarves, and makeup. Also, a home cleaning resource for women with cancer: http://www.cleaningforareason.org

Merry Christmas everyone- and I will pray for all of us that 2010 brings remission and joy!

carbo/taxol
    I too had 5 rounds of carbo/taxol. I then had 3 rounds of IP cisplatin/taxol. The cisplatin was harder by far. Please keep me updated with your treatment.
  • jensaavedra
    jensaavedra Member Posts: 3
    nancy591 said:

carbo/taxol
    I too had 5 rounds of carbo/taxol. I then had 3 rounds of IP cisplatin/taxol. The cisplatin was harder by far. Please keep me updated with your treatment.

carbo/taxol
    Yes, imagine them both mixed together!! It's a crazy 5 days, but then the 2 weeks in between treatments I feel really good. I would like to stay in touch with you- I feel like we can really relate due to our children's ages- my email is jennifer.saavedra@citi.com

Keep me updated on your treatments as well- my next one is Jan 31st.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    nancy591 said:

overwhelming response
    I am floored at how many of us are out there. I know no matter what age you are cancer is not easy. I tend to feel sorrier for myself because I have young kids. On some level it does bring some comfort to know others are struggling with the same issues. Thank you for all your responses

You are right Nancy, cancer
    You are right Nancy, cancer isn't easy at any age, for anyone. Good luck to you!

HUGS
  • mberg
    mberg Member Posts: 62
    I am 35 and a have two girls
    I am 35 and a have two girls 14 and 3. It is hard, because the little one doesn't understand much except mommy is "just a little bit bald" and the oldest is scared that I am going to die or that she is going to get it. I try and be honest with them what is going on and how I feel. If you need anything, I am her to talk!monica
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Kat11 said:

Hi Nancy

Just want you to know Nancy
    Just want you to know Nancy that you are always welcome to post on this thread.
  • Angel_4_James
    Angel_4_James Member Posts: 73
    Hello
    Hi Nancy,

I am 46 and have little ones. I have sent you a PM.
    You have come to a very supportive fourm. Everyone here
    is great to just listen if needed or give words of wisdom.

Blessings,
    Angel