Just talked to Dr. and she gave me 25-30%?

ritaclough
ritaclough Member Posts: 44
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Dx May of 09 with stage 3. Had cancer in 5 outa 25 lymph nodes. Colon looked clean and they removed a tumor. Recently my tumor markers went to 18 then to 36. X rays found a mass on my ovaries they suspect is a return of my colon cancer. Friday I have a hysterectomy. Today in speaking with my Dr she said my chance of surviving is 25-30%. I sure was expecting at least 50 considering its isolated as far as we know to my ovary and I started at 70%. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Comments

• Luv2lunch
    Luv2lunch Member Posts: 270
    Rita,
    I don't know much

Rita,
    I don't know much about this. I'm sure there are others here with a lot of info for you. We just wanted to say hang in there and you will be in our thoughts and prayers.
    Love,
    Linda and Ellie
  • Lilmiss82
    Lilmiss82 Member Posts: 257 Member
    Luv2lunch said:

Rita,
    I don't know much

Rita,
    I don't know much about this. I'm sure there are others here with a lot of info for you. We just wanted to say hang in there and you will be in our thoughts and prayers.
    Love,
    Linda and Ellie

Rita,
    I'm sorry to hear about the spread but don't let those %'s get to you. Everyones cancer is different and response different to treatment. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers :) Melissa
  • ritaclough
    Lilmiss82 said:

Rita,
    I'm sorry to hear about the spread but don't let those %'s get to you. Everyones cancer is different and response different to treatment. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers :) Melissa

Thank you..gosh it's hard
    Thank you..gosh it's hard not to let it get to you for sure! I've been so down ever sense I got off the phone and she was acting like it was good news...jeesh...I'm sure I'll get a little more optimistic. This discussion board seems to help :)
  • PGLGreg
    PGLGreg Member Posts: 731
    I guess the figures your
    I guess the figures your doctor gave you assumes the mass on your ovaries is actually a metastasis of your colon cancer. If so, that puts you together with other stage 4 patients, whose survival statistics are not as good those for stage 3. So that's why. The problem is that they can't really tell that the cancer (if that's what it is) is isolated to your ovary.

Well, good luck next week, when I guess you'll find out definitely whether you have a metastasis.

--Greg
  • Lori-S
    Lori-S Member Posts: 1,277 Member
    I think the Dr. may be making those claims based on the fact that this is mets (didn't mean recurrence that I posted first time) ... but, remember they are still working with older stat numbers, treatment has moved along since then and everyone is very different ... as you can tell just from reading the internet. Good luck with your surgery on Friday.
  • ritaclough
    PGLGreg said:

I guess the figures your
    I guess the figures your doctor gave you assumes the mass on your ovaries is actually a metastasis of your colon cancer. If so, that puts you together with other stage 4 patients, whose survival statistics are not as good those for stage 3. So that's why. The problem is that they can't really tell that the cancer (if that's what it is) is isolated to your ovary.

Well, good luck next week, when I guess you'll find out definitely whether you have a metastasis.

--Greg

Oh I get it so its a
    Oh I get it so its a generalization. One that goes for all stage 4 patients and once it metastasis it's considered stage 4? She also said they will be ordering a pet scan. They are pretty certain this is a recurrence and wow what I wouldn't give to find out different.....Friday is surgery
  • ritaclough
    PGLGreg said:

I guess the figures your

--Greg

Oh I get it so its a
    Oh I get it so its a generalization. One that goes for all stage 4 patients and once it metastasis it's considered stage 4? She also said they will be ordering a pet scan. They are pretty certain this is a recurrence and wow what I wouldn't give to find out different.....Friday is surgery
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Keep up the hope
    Dear Rita,

The stats quoted by anyone regarding cancer are not worth a whole lot, in my opinion.

The thing to do is tell your doctor you intend to beat those statistics by a mile and live to a ripe old age and to either get on the band wagon with you or get out of the way while you find another doctor.

Those of us who have had an initial cancer diagnosis, mets or recurrance probably do have a better chance than the 'healthy' person of dying of cancer. But the when is the issue we most want to know about, and there is no one I know of on earth who can accurately tell us.

Fight like you intend to be around for a long time and mean it!

Hugs,

Marie who loves kitties
  • Kerry S
    Kerry S Member Posts: 606 Member
    Screw the stats
    Rita,
    Hell I was supposed to croak last March. Screw the stats. Get your fighting face on. Remember that so damn many folks hear the word cancer and just start digging their own graves. They really mess up the stats. It’s the negative placebo effect.

All of the different docs I have dealt with have told me that they can tell who will and who won’t make it right up front. It’s their attitude.

Kerry
  • ritaclough
    Kerry S said:

Screw the stats
    Rita,
    Hell I was supposed to croak last March. Screw the stats. Get your fighting face on. Remember that so damn many folks hear the word cancer and just start digging their own graves. They really mess up the stats. It’s the negative placebo effect.

All of the different docs I have dealt with have told me that they can tell who will and who won’t make it right up front. It’s their attitude.

Kerry

Laugh out loud!!!!! I like
    Laugh out loud!!!!! I like you Kerry..thats good medicine right there!!! :~)
  • PamPam2
    PamPam2 Member Posts: 370 Member
    survivor
    Hi Rita
    Don't pay a lot of attention to statistics. I had tumor engulfing my overy when my colon cancer was removed, and lymph nodes removed were positive also, and have spots on my liver that are stable. Did 7 out of the 12 chemo treatments. Still here over 6 years later and doing well! I had the total hysterectomy done too. There is a lot more hope out there than statistics would lead you to believe.
    Best wishes
    Pam
  • ritaclough

Keep up the hope
    Dear Rita,

The stats quoted by anyone regarding cancer are not worth a whole lot, in my opinion.

The thing to do is tell your doctor you intend to beat those statistics by a mile and live to a ripe old age and to either get on the band wagon with you or get out of the way while you find another doctor.

Those of us who have had an initial cancer diagnosis, mets or recurrance probably do have a better chance than the 'healthy' person of dying of cancer. But the when is the issue we most want to know about, and there is no one I know of on earth who can accurately tell us.

Fight like you intend to be around for a long time and mean it!

Hugs,

Marie who loves kitties

I have a lot to learn I
    I have a lot to learn I think :). I was thinking those stats meant I have a 25% chance of living no longer then 5 years. Its just so overwhelming to me right now...forgive me.
    Love,Rita :)
  • ritaclough
    PamPam2 said:

survivor
    Hi Rita
    Don't pay a lot of attention to statistics. I had tumor engulfing my overy when my colon cancer was removed, and lymph nodes removed were positive also, and have spots on my liver that are stable. Did 7 out of the 12 chemo treatments. Still here over 6 years later and doing well! I had the total hysterectomy done too. There is a lot more hope out there than statistics would lead you to believe.
    Best wishes
    Pam

Oh my word Pam I needed to
    Oh my word Pam I needed to hear that!!!! I'm going to copy all these posts and save them to read in the hospital and threw all this! Thank you all!!!!!!!!!!!
    I hope its me someday making the posts encouraging others like you all have me!!
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Try not to look @ the stats
    You are an n=1; those stats are for the masses + are likely outdated too. They also can't take into account any new treatments that have come along or will come along during the next little while. Stay strong!
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Surgery
    Just wanted to wish you good luck on your surgery and hoping that you come through it with flying colors and have a very speedy recovery. Like everyone else says, don't look at the stats and what the internet gives you. You are a survivor and that's what counts. Keep us posted as to how it goes.

Kim
  • sheri22
    sheri22 Member Posts: 273
    ANOTHER OPINION
    Rita

I was dx with stage IV COLON CA 2years ago in July they did complete hysterectomy on me got the ca out of that spot I have another spot now that spread from my lung to thorasic bone ? this part is still new to me but bottom line is why would a dr do surgery if chances were that slim and yes mine has spread but not from the ovary that surgery was a sucess and my drs were cofident that it would be you need a dr with a more positive attitude sorry if I am stepping on anyones toes here but I feel strongly about this

Sheri22
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Hi Rita:
    If it is colon cancer metastasis I think that makes you a Stage IV and the doc was just quoting stats. I hate that. Our doc never gives stats. He never has and I never asked. Now my hubby was advanced Stage IV in March, 09, he is still kicking and working full time.

Ok so your doc says 25/30% for 5 years, well tell him you plan on bypassing that 25/30%.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and easy recovery.

Tina
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    Good luck on surgery
    Just wanted to add that due to your misguided doctor, he scared you to death. I would get a new doctor! He is so totally out of line quoting those statistics. I know someone 10 years out with what you are going through. Keep fighting this beastly thing!
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
    jams67 said:

Good luck on surgery
    Just wanted to add that due to your misguided doctor, he scared you to death. I would get a new doctor! He is so totally out of line quoting those statistics. I know someone 10 years out with what you are going through. Keep fighting this beastly thing!

hey Rita!!
    I am with everyone else on those stats. NO doctor can tell you how long you got and what your percentage is. They remind me of the weathermen..... and how often are they right???? LOL...... Half the people in here should already be dead if they would have listened to their doc's....me included!! You can't be scared..you GOTTA be tough.... that is a very valueable thing I learned here and I use it always. You take care.

Jennie
  • AnnaLeigh
    AnnaLeigh Member Posts: 187 Member
    What they don't say
    Rita,

Sorry your doctor had to present this information to you in the way that she did. There is a whole list of things they don't say when handing out these kinds of statistics. Such as -

*We don't know how well you will respond to surgery/treatment because every individual case is different.

*After surgery/treatment the only way to know how well you are doing is with diagnostic tools and each time we do this the prognosis could change for the better.

*Only time will tell how long your survival rate will be and there are so many factors involved that there is no way to predict.

But doctors tend to not say these things because some people will latch on to false hope and not hear the rest of the conversation and some even grab the worst information and dwell on that causing them to give up when they are viable human beings with tons of hope.

We tend to think of ourselves not as people who are "dying from cancer" but rather people who are LIVING with cancer.

Hope your doctor feels foolish many years down the road when you quote her the original statistics she gave you.