OUCHY! DON"T LIKE BMB TEST!!!!!!

allmost60
allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178 Member
Have you ever heard of someone having DRY HARD BONE? Well lucky me...I have it. What a horrible experience today! My doctor went in for the marrow and tissue but kept saying she wasn't getting any blood...kept saying my bone was dry. I can't count how many times she tried, but she finally gave up and decided to go in at another location...higher up. She had to re-numb that whole area and then decided to give me a pill called adavan (sp?) to calm me down.By that time the only thing that could of calmed me down would have been a galon of Crown Royal!!!(seriously)Anyways, she started all over in the upper hip and after what seemed like an eternity she finally got enough blood with tissue. She had a heck of a time getting the bone sample because she said my bone was thick and hard as rock. I could hear the screwing sound going in to the bone and then a popping jerking sucking sound when she pulled it out. The pressure coming out was off the hook!!!! It took an hour and a half and I felt like a wet noodle when she finished. My hip is still numb right now, but I'm thinking it won't be long before that wears off. Hate to sound like a baby guys, but that BMB was one bad A$$ test and I don't look forward to EVER having it done again!!! She said we won't get the results back before July 26th.The tests have to go to Spokane and Seattle. She told me to take my 2 week vacation and I'm then scheduled to discuss what treatment she will plan for me the week we get home...Aug 16 at 2:30, So....it looks like I'll be fishin and relaxin before chemo..."YES"! Ok...need to go sit down and watch the 2 hour special on Captain Phil...Deadliest Catch. My oldest son fished the Bearing Sea for 12 years....I hated it! Now he's a Union roofer...thank God!
Sue

Comments

• CiAnnaBananna
    CiAnnaBananna Member Posts: 105
    ouch
    the BMB was the worst part of all my tests, surgeries, and chemo combined so I really feel your pain. I can't imagine if they just kept poking around on me. No meds helped me either. Praying for you and hope your results come back favorable. What type of cancer are you facing if i may ask?
  • vinny59
    vinny59 Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    ouch
    I always say why the hell can't they sedate you, that is alot of pain to have to go through, but look on the bright side, go fishing and put all this crap on the back burner! wish you well! Vinny
  • onlytoday
    onlytoday Member Posts: 609 Member
    vinny59 said:

ouch
    I always say why the hell can't they sedate you, that is alot of pain to have to go through, but look on the bright side, go fishing and put all this crap on the back burner! wish you well! Vinny

ouch
    Glad that test is behind you (ha literally!!). And very glad you can now enjoy your vacation. Have a great time relaxing. Try your best to put this stuff out of your mind. God bless.
  • merrywinner
    merrywinner Member Posts: 626 Member
    Too bad
    You poor thing, but at least it's over. The whole thing sounds inhumane. I haven't heard of the dry,hard bone thing but there are probably as many scenarios as there are people. Enjoy your fishing trip and try not to worry too much. The treatment will be the same and yes it can clean up bone marrow too!! Mary
  • merrywinner
    merrywinner Member Posts: 626 Member
    vinny59 said:

ouch

??
    They can and often do. I have had 2 and was asleep for both. I just don't get it, but it makes me kind of mad. My Md never does them with patients awake. I understand all Md's are different but come on. It's not like they're paying for it. OK I'm getting down from the soap box now.
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401 Member
    BMB
    Sue, My onc told me the same thing abour not being surprised if it was in the marrow. This got me to checking on all the sites to check it out. I was not aware of this site at the time. Because of the tumor sizes in my abdomen I figured it had been there for awhile. It was no surprise when the test came back positive. It was in the bone marrow,just a little but still it was in there. The Doc. said it would be treated the same as stage 3. That put me at stage 4. Nothing was ever said about the spleen,so I wonder about that as well. Spleen never showed any signs of swelling, but I don't know if that means anything or not. We are all different in treatment. I was really dragging after my first round up and down. This time I was a little better with the after effects, only its been 8 days out and my butt is dragging today. I guess thats normal, right guys? Hips are a little sore and now the taste has finally gone. The only thing I can taste is macaroni and cheese that I make myself. I know thats not the best thing to eat , but its the only thing I can really taste.I was outside most of the day yesterday in the heat and humidity and I am sure that did not help. Anyway, glad you get to go on the fishing trip. It would be no fun going if you had just gotten the chemo. You would not know what to expect from day to day. That tiredness feeling is no fun. John
  • dixiegirl
    dixiegirl Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Oh man
    I am so sorry you had such a bad experience. I have been knocked out all 3 times and wouldn't have it any other way. I am wondering if you can request to be knocked out should you ever have to do it again?

The surgeon who did my biopsies told me and my hubby that bmb is the absolute worst, brutal test there is and even he said he wouldn't do it awake. I hope you get to feeling better quick and enjoy the trip!

Take care,
    Beth
  • COBRA666
    dixiegirl said:

Oh man
    I am so sorry you had such a bad experience. I have been knocked out all 3 times and wouldn't have it any other way. I am wondering if you can request to be knocked out should you ever have to do it again?

The surgeon who did my biopsies told me and my hubby that bmb is the absolute worst, brutal test there is and even he said he wouldn't do it awake. I hope you get to feeling better quick and enjoy the trip!

Take care,
    Beth

BMB
    Beth, I was awake with my test as well. I did have a local though. I did not feel the pain, but felt the pressure. It was horrible. I could feel the pulling when they were taking the needle or whatever it was out. They pulled and tugged. I was swaying back and forth on the table. I got so out of it I was close to passing out. BP dropped to 73/42. I started sweating and felt sick. I think it is the worst part of the test so far. John
  • allmost60
    COBRA666 said:

BMB
    Beth, I was awake with my test as well. I did have a local though. I did not feel the pain, but felt the pressure. It was horrible. I could feel the pulling when they were taking the needle or whatever it was out. They pulled and tugged. I was swaying back and forth on the table. I got so out of it I was close to passing out. BP dropped to 73/42. I started sweating and felt sick. I think it is the worst part of the test so far. John

BMB/dry bone
    My doctor attributes the dry bone marrow and thick solid bone to my taking Premerin(HRT) for the last 20 years. She promised that the next BMB will be done at the surgical center and she will be put me under. My hip is sore as heck today, but nothing un-bearable. Didn't get to sleep last night until 3:00a.m, but slept in this morning. Movin slow.
    Sue
  • COBRA666
    allmost60 said:

BMB/dry bone
    My doctor attributes the dry bone marrow and thick solid bone to my taking Premerin(HRT) for the last 20 years. She promised that the next BMB will be done at the surgical center and she will be put me under. My hip is sore as heck today, but nothing un-bearable. Didn't get to sleep last night until 3:00a.m, but slept in this morning. Movin slow.
    Sue

BMB
    Sue, I was fortunate with my bmb as far as pain. For some reason today 8 days out of round 2 I feel like I am dragging really bad. Don't know if it from the heat yesterday or what. We are all different but this is rough. Hope I spring back tomorrow. This is what you have to look forward too. Its like a yoyo session from day to day. When you finalliy get back to near normal they hit you again and it all starts over again. John
  • allmost60

ouch
    the BMB was the worst part of all my tests, surgeries, and chemo combined so I really feel your pain. I can't imagine if they just kept poking around on me. No meds helped me either. Praying for you and hope your results come back favorable. What type of cancer are you facing if i may ask?

CiAnnaBanna/ouch
    The type of cancer I have is Follicular NHL stage 3(if not in the bone)Grade 2 and I'm Type A. I have tumors in my left groin...abdomen...and left side of my neck. My CT scan showed no signs of it in the spleen..liver...kidney(only have one)...pancreas(sp?)...or lungs. Doesn't mean it won't travel to those areas down the road, but as of right now those vital organs are clean. So...thats a "Good" thing. Hubby and I talked this morning and have decided to stay home and cancel vacation. We want to save the money for all of the co-pays that just keep rolling in. He said we will do some mini trips...a day trip to Seattle...drive up in the mountains etc. Neither of us are in the mood for being gone 2 weeks. Yesterday really took the wind out of both of our sails...ha! We will have fun just being together, so it's all good for us and no big deal.
    P.S...You look absolutely darling with-out hair!!! Seriously...you really do! You've got a beautifully shaped head and such a pretty face and awesome smile! I have a round face and I'm sure a fat round head under this hair, so I'm thinkin I won't look as attractive...ha! "LUCKY YOU"!!! You remind me of Natalie Portman.
    Sue
  • allmost60
    COBRA666 said:

BMB
    Sue, I was fortunate with my bmb as far as pain. For some reason today 8 days out of round 2 I feel like I am dragging really bad. Don't know if it from the heat yesterday or what. We are all different but this is rough. Hope I spring back tomorrow. This is what you have to look forward too. Its like a yoyo session from day to day. When you finalliy get back to near normal they hit you again and it all starts over again. John

Awww I'm sorry John
    Man...I hate to hear when someone is feeling down. I know you had mentioned that you always were an active vibrant guy before all of this, as was I. I know how hard it is to not feel 100% and full of energy and how helpless it makes us feel. I was like the energizer bunny...go go go and keep on goin. I never felt like I was close to being 6O...more like 40. One of the hardest things for me right now is the loss of energy, and when I think that I haven't even started chemo yet...it scares the crap of me. I'm going to do everything in my power to not let this cancer get me down...energy or no energy. I sure hope you will bounce back...in the meantime, I'm thinking of you!
    Sue
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 said:

BMB

BMB
    Sue, Don't mean to sound so negative, but this is one of those days where its just getting to me. Again, I want you to know what you have to look forward too. It will be like nothing you have experienced before. You are going to wonder why you feel so worn out and you haven't done anything to make you tired. Then you spring back the next day,then you don't feel good the next day after that. You will be able to tell what kind of day its going to be when you first get up in the morning. Been thru it quite a few times. It is a weird body feeling. I felt like a bus hit me sometimes. When I woke up this morning I opened my eyes and said "Oh, Sh--", gonna be one of those days. The good part of it is we know the chemo will help us in the long haul. John
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 said:

BMB
    Sue, Don't mean to sound so negative, but this is one of those days where its just getting to me. Again, I want you to know what you have to look forward too. It will be like nothing you have experienced before. You are going to wonder why you feel so worn out and you haven't done anything to make you tired. Then you spring back the next day,then you don't feel good the next day after that. You will be able to tell what kind of day its going to be when you first get up in the morning. Been thru it quite a few times. It is a weird body feeling. I felt like a bus hit me sometimes. When I woke up this morning I opened my eyes and said "Oh, Sh--", gonna be one of those days. The good part of it is we know the chemo will help us in the long haul. John

BMB
    Already had 2 naps today and slept good last night. I feel like I been awake for 48 hours. the body is worn out, but strange as it may seem I am not mentally tired. Thats the only way I know how to explain it. It will get better, but it does get you down. John
  • dixiegirl
    dixiegirl Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    COBRA666 said:

BMB
    Already had 2 naps today and slept good last night. I feel like I been awake for 48 hours. the body is worn out, but strange as it may seem I am not mentally tired. Thats the only way I know how to explain it. It will get better, but it does get you down. John

naps
    John by the time I got done my routine was this.

Drink a cup of coffee on the porch, watch the sun rise............take a nap.

Shower..........take a nap.

Eat....take a nap.

Watch Tv.........take a nap.

Eat some more.......another nap.

Throw in a load of laundry............take a nap.

Cook dinner ( or wait for hubby to do it )

Eat....and go to bed.

It does get better!
  • kawilky
    kawilky Member Posts: 1
    allmost60 said:

BMB/dry bone
    Sue

BMB Test
    I have NHL, went thru a Bone Marrow Transplant (Autologous) my own stem cells. I had a clean BMB last October, my Onc wants me to have another one 8/2/10. She says she can't put me under, does your dr say they can? HELP I am already on Norco and Morphine for my burning hands and mouthwash for mouth sores. I was treated at Stanford but belong to Kaiser in Redwood City, CA. Please tell me if there is a way to be put out? I have to have one every year to stage the cancer, or see if there are any NHL cell come back.
  • CiAnnaBananna
    CiAnnaBananna Member Posts: 105
    allmost60 said:

CiAnnaBanna/ouch
    The type of cancer I have is Follicular NHL stage 3(if not in the bone)Grade 2 and I'm Type A. I have tumors in my left groin...abdomen...and left side of my neck. My CT scan showed no signs of it in the spleen..liver...kidney(only have one)...pancreas(sp?)...or lungs. Doesn't mean it won't travel to those areas down the road, but as of right now those vital organs are clean. So...thats a "Good" thing. Hubby and I talked this morning and have decided to stay home and cancel vacation. We want to save the money for all of the co-pays that just keep rolling in. He said we will do some mini trips...a day trip to Seattle...drive up in the mountains etc. Neither of us are in the mood for being gone 2 weeks. Yesterday really took the wind out of both of our sails...ha! We will have fun just being together, so it's all good for us and no big deal.
    P.S...You look absolutely darling with-out hair!!! Seriously...you really do! You've got a beautifully shaped head and such a pretty face and awesome smile! I have a round face and I'm sure a fat round head under this hair, so I'm thinkin I won't look as attractive...ha! "LUCKY YOU"!!! You remind me of Natalie Portman.
    Sue

thanks Sue
    Aww, thanks for the compliment. I wasn't thrilled about losing my hair, BUT its a small price to pay to get better. Plus it's really easy to get ready! I have been taking a bunch of mini trips myself during all of my treatments and it's been fun. I have a few more planned for the summer and it's nice because when i'm feeling sick during and after chemo, i just keep counting down the days when I know i'll get my energy back and I have a little trip to look forward to. Let us know how everything pans out! I'll keep you in my prayers
  • COBRA666
    allmost60 said:

CiAnnaBanna/ouch
    Sue

VACATION
    Sorry you had to cancel your vacation. All my organs were clear on my pet scan as well. Yes, it could get to the organs later on. I think the chemo is supposed to help prevent that. There are so many coulds,shoulds,woulds,cans and maybes about this disease its a real waiting game. When do you start your chemo or is that still up in the air? I really feel you made the right decision to start as soon as possible. Its all about your own gut feeling when you come down to it.
  • COBRA666
    dixiegirl said:

naps
    John by the time I got done my routine was this.

Drink a cup of coffee on the porch, watch the sun rise............take a nap.

Shower..........take a nap.

Eat....take a nap.

Watch Tv.........take a nap.

Eat some more.......another nap.

Throw in a load of laundry............take a nap.

Cook dinner ( or wait for hubby to do it )

Eat....and go to bed.

It does get better!

Naps
    Dixie, I do feel a little better today. The hips are sore though. I guess the bone marrow is working overtime. I do not get up early enough to watch the sunrise, but I do get the coffee and get on the computer. I should be feeling even better tomorrow if it runs like it did last go around. Then with the chemo nothing is a gaurantee,right? I just wonder how a person can feel pretty good and then 8-9 days later it knocks them down the way it does. John
  • allmost60
    COBRA666 said:

VACATION
    Sorry you had to cancel your vacation. All my organs were clear on my pet scan as well. Yes, it could get to the organs later on. I think the chemo is supposed to help prevent that. There are so many coulds,shoulds,woulds,cans and maybes about this disease its a real waiting game. When do you start your chemo or is that still up in the air? I really feel you made the right decision to start as soon as possible. Its all about your own gut feeling when you come down to it.

Don't know yet on "when" treatment will start...
    Hi John...
    My doctor said we won't even have the results back on the BMB until around the week of the 26th. I suppose once we find out if it's in the bone she will get busy on when to start. We are perfectly fine with cancelling vacation. Hubby said he would be more comfortable not being away from home and actually that works good for me too. The fish will always be there! Have a good day....Sue