I Think I'm Ready For Chemo.

Comments

• Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    MAJW said:

Best wishes
    So very sorry about losing your husband......my heartful sympathy to you........hang in there.....we are stronger than we know....

Peace be with you

I am so sorry for your loss.
    I am so sorry for your loss. I offer you my sympathy.

You can do chemo! So many here have gone thru it and can offer you so much help.

Take care!
  • nangyjoe
    nangyjoe Member Posts: 15
    Jean 0609 said:

Glad things went well.
    Hope the remainder go the same way!

not to bad ,,but early in the game.
    This is the day after chemo ,i'm not sure how it should be but not a bad day,,took all the meds they told me to, a little tired but no aches or pain,and not sick .So i'll take it ,got my white blood shot today not trouble so far ,but i did medicine up good for it like they told me to ,,so hopefully it wont be to bad if it does hit,what a wonderful doctor i have and the staff is unbelievable.i am truely blessed.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    jnl said:

double post :(

double post :(

Glad that your chemo went as
    Glad that your chemo went as well it has for you. Hoping you continue to feel well and not have problems with it.

Hugs, Angie
  • MNLynn
    MNLynn Member Posts: 224
    just writing . . .
    . . . to let you know that you are in my thoughts & prayers . . .

Lynn
  • nangyjoe
    MNLynn said:

just writing . . .
    . . . to let you know that you are in my thoughts & prayers . . .

Lynn

thank you
    This is a amazing place to be able to come to and share with everyone ,,i never have been to big with writing about myself and any problems ,but it sure helps hearing from people who know what your going through,its really ashame so many have to suffer through this,today hasnt been to bad ,,a red glow to my body from chemo .and it made my scare a little sore but shower and lotion helped it alot, i hope to get another good night sleep tonight ,when i wake up in the morning i lay still and do the once over ,like am i sick ,do i feel okay ,any pain ,its crazy to have to take inventory before you even get up.but it works , hope you are feeling well ,i'll write tomorrow and see what the day brings.
  • nangyjoe
    nangyjoe said:

thank you
    This is a amazing place to be able to come to and share with everyone ,,i never have been to big with writing about myself and any problems ,but it sure helps hearing from people who know what your going through,its really ashame so many have to suffer through this,today hasnt been to bad ,,a red glow to my body from chemo .and it made my scare a little sore but shower and lotion helped it alot, i hope to get another good night sleep tonight ,when i wake up in the morning i lay still and do the once over ,like am i sick ,do i feel okay ,any pain ,its crazy to have to take inventory before you even get up.but it works , hope you are feeling well ,i'll write tomorrow and see what the day brings.

Day 7
    It sure has been a interesting week to say the least.I have not been sick and no headaches,i hate the aches and not able to sit still at times ,that i think is restless leg ,wore out alot ,and a little down and then you sit and think i really dont know what i am feeling right now ,,it changes so many times a day .The trips to the bathroom are always interesting to say the lease,,i make myself go outside a while for fresh air and i get my house done early in the morning,I know i will be lucky if this is all i have to crab about,,i do have a little thrash and a slight sore tongue .My appitite is different everyday ,,so i am just working with it as i go.I am sleeping a little better now,,the night mares were crazy the first 4 or 5 days ,,but i will get through it and i couldnt do it if i didnt have people to talk to like you. Going to go get my dogs fed ,will check back later.
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    nangyjoe said:

Day 7
    It sure has been a interesting week to say the least.I have not been sick and no headaches,i hate the aches and not able to sit still at times ,that i think is restless leg ,wore out alot ,and a little down and then you sit and think i really dont know what i am feeling right now ,,it changes so many times a day .The trips to the bathroom are always interesting to say the lease,,i make myself go outside a while for fresh air and i get my house done early in the morning,I know i will be lucky if this is all i have to crab about,,i do have a little thrash and a slight sore tongue .My appitite is different everyday ,,so i am just working with it as i go.I am sleeping a little better now,,the night mares were crazy the first 4 or 5 days ,,but i will get through it and i couldnt do it if i didnt have people to talk to like you. Going to go get my dogs fed ,will check back later.

I had every side effect
    I had every side effect possible but it seem everything was pretty short-lived. After about 7 days I had my best night's sleep and have felt super great since.

For the mouth, the ladies here suggested Bioten (they have a spray, rinse and toothpaste). Works great. My tongue burned, like after having boiling coffee or something, and doc gave me a Rx of "Miracle Mouthwash" which worked super.

Unfortunately, my appitite came back also and everything tastes good. Dangit.
  • nangyjoe
    Snowkitty said:

I had every side effect
    I had every side effect possible but it seem everything was pretty short-lived. After about 7 days I had my best night's sleep and have felt super great since.

For the mouth, the ladies here suggested Bioten (they have a spray, rinse and toothpaste). Works great. My tongue burned, like after having boiling coffee or something, and doc gave me a Rx of "Miracle Mouthwash" which worked super.

Unfortunately, my appitite came back also and everything tastes good. Dangit.

I thought i was going to get a good night sleep last and i did fall asleep about two and a half hours then ,woke up jittery and restless it drove me nuts ,,the backaches up high and low were terrible and tightness across the chest,tight muscles came and gone ,i was just really in a bad place,,and i think really felt sorry for myself,i hate being that way but it happened,i took a vicodin and went to lay in the recliner and did get some relief ,slept a few really good hours ,,thank you god,,i'm hoping to see the side effects so away and get a break somewhere,,i know people have it a lot worse than me ,but i try not to put so much on the kids ,they been through so much the past year,They are there if i need anything ,i just want a break to enjoy one whole day.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    nangyjoe said:

I thought i was going to get a good night sleep last and i did fall asleep about two and a half hours then ,woke up jittery and restless it drove me nuts ,,the backaches up high and low were terrible and tightness across the chest,tight muscles came and gone ,i was just really in a bad place,,and i think really felt sorry for myself,i hate being that way but it happened,i took a vicodin and went to lay in the recliner and did get some relief ,slept a few really good hours ,,thank you god,,i'm hoping to see the side effects so away and get a break somewhere,,i know people have it a lot worse than me ,but i try not to put so much on the kids ,they been through so much the past year,They are there if i need anything ,i just want a break to enjoy one whole day.

I think the achiness is from
    I think the achiness is from the neulasta shot. One down awesome before you know it you will be done. I had thrush with eachAC chemo and took the nystatin and it cleared up in 3 days. made my throat a bit sore too. hugs it will be over soon and you will be very happy you finished it. this is not for wimps, you are doing great!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    nangyjoe said:

You have my sympathy
    You have my sympathy nangyjoe for the loss of your husband.

I am sorry you are having trouble with chemo. Talk to your oncologist and see if there is anything he can give you to help you with the side effects.

Praying for you!

Sue :)
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    nangyjoe said:

Hoping that you get more
    Hoping that you get more than just one whole day to feel good! I hope you are able to get more sleep. Can you take a sleeping pill? Ask your oncologist if you can.

Hugs, Leeza
  • nangyjoe
    jnl said:

Hoping that you get more
    Hoping that you get more than just one whole day to feel good! I hope you are able to get more sleep. Can you take a sleeping pill? Ask your oncologist if you can.

Hugs, Leeza

doing better the last few days
    i am glad the worst part for now seem to over,unless i'm in for a surprise,i think the first chemo at least gets you ready for the next one,i'm not looking forward to it but i will get through it because it was really just like all you wonderful ladies shared about your chemo,,though scarry ,at least you know if it is normal ,I am at the stage right now that the mouth sores are almost gone,my taste is blahh,and i am losing hair as we speak,but if that is all i have to complain about i'm one lucky women.I have some hats and scarfs i boutht ,and my sister gave me a beautiful sun bonnet ,and as a wonderful joke a jokers hat with all the crazy colors and bells hanging off the ends.My granddaughter calls it my chemo clown hat,,if you cant laugh at it what can you do.Thank you all for all the wonderful feed back it is getting me through this knowing i can find answers from all of you. HUGS TO ALL
  • nangyjoe
    nangyjoe said:

doing better the last few days
    i am glad the worst part for now seem to over,unless i'm in for a surprise,i think the first chemo at least gets you ready for the next one,i'm not looking forward to it but i will get through it because it was really just like all you wonderful ladies shared about your chemo,,though scarry ,at least you know if it is normal ,I am at the stage right now that the mouth sores are almost gone,my taste is blahh,and i am losing hair as we speak,but if that is all i have to complain about i'm one lucky women.I have some hats and scarfs i boutht ,and my sister gave me a beautiful sun bonnet ,and as a wonderful joke a jokers hat with all the crazy colors and bells hanging off the ends.My granddaughter calls it my chemo clown hat,,if you cant laugh at it what can you do.Thank you all for all the wonderful feed back it is getting me through this knowing i can find answers from all of you. HUGS TO ALL

LOOK OUT FOR FALLING HAIR
    MY HAIR STARTED FALLING OUT A LITTLE ON MONDAY AND WOW NOW IT IS REALLY COMING OUT LIKE CRAZY ,,I AM WAITING FOR THE RIGHT MOMENT TO CUT OR SHOULD I SAY BUZZ IT SO IT DOESNT KEEP FALLING OUT EVERY WHERE,,I WILL BE FINE WITH IT GONE ,I AM JUST WORRIED ABOUT THE GRANDKIDS ,SO I WILL START WEARING SOME SCARFS AND HATS TO KEEP AHEAD OF IT,I AM NOT A HAT OR SCARF WEARER SO THAT TO WILL BE WEIRD ,I MAY GET A WIG ,WE'LL SEE ,SEEMS UNIMPORTANT COMPARED TO THE BIG PICTURE.I HAVE MY SECOND CHEMO NEXT FRIDAY ALREADY BUT THAT IS GOOD I AM READY TO KICK ITS BUT AND CANT WAIT TILL THEY ARE ALL DONE .HOPE EVERYONE IS WELL AND GETTING THROUGH THEIR OWN JOURNEY WITH THIS DEMON,,BUT WE ARE STRONG AND WILL BE BETTER ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THIS.
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    nangyjoe said:

LOOK OUT FOR FALLING HAIR
    MY HAIR STARTED FALLING OUT A LITTLE ON MONDAY AND WOW NOW IT IS REALLY COMING OUT LIKE CRAZY ,,I AM WAITING FOR THE RIGHT MOMENT TO CUT OR SHOULD I SAY BUZZ IT SO IT DOESNT KEEP FALLING OUT EVERY WHERE,,I WILL BE FINE WITH IT GONE ,I AM JUST WORRIED ABOUT THE GRANDKIDS ,SO I WILL START WEARING SOME SCARFS AND HATS TO KEEP AHEAD OF IT,I AM NOT A HAT OR SCARF WEARER SO THAT TO WILL BE WEIRD ,I MAY GET A WIG ,WE'LL SEE ,SEEMS UNIMPORTANT COMPARED TO THE BIG PICTURE.I HAVE MY SECOND CHEMO NEXT FRIDAY ALREADY BUT THAT IS GOOD I AM READY TO KICK ITS BUT AND CANT WAIT TILL THEY ARE ALL DONE .HOPE EVERYONE IS WELL AND GETTING THROUGH THEIR OWN JOURNEY WITH THIS DEMON,,BUT WE ARE STRONG AND WILL BE BETTER ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THIS.

I love the hats
    First chemo 7/1, hair falling out a lot by the 15th. I went to my beauty shop & they all stood around me & they decided a 1 inch "pixie" would be great for me. Didn't even charge me. I had pretty long hair too.

Anyways, the last couple days, I lay on the couch with a bowl on me and just pick globs off. I think I will go back and get a buzz.

On a brighter note, there's tons of hat places out there. I got about 15 different kinds, including turbans. This is my absolute fav at headcovers.com. Product Id: TU-11061. Wish it came in more colors.

As for a wig, I got a really nice synthetic one. When I have hair, I will take it to my stylist for a color/style match. However I wore it one day and it drove me crazy. My head was still itchy, a bit sore and the wig made my head hurt. Couldn't wait to get home and rip it off. Maybe I'll try it again someday, but I'm having too much fun w/the headcovers.

Take care,

cindy
  • nangyjoe
    Snowkitty said:

I love the hats
    First chemo 7/1, hair falling out a lot by the 15th. I went to my beauty shop & they all stood around me & they decided a 1 inch "pixie" would be great for me. Didn't even charge me. I had pretty long hair too.

Anyways, the last couple days, I lay on the couch with a bowl on me and just pick globs off. I think I will go back and get a buzz.

On a brighter note, there's tons of hat places out there. I got about 15 different kinds, including turbans. This is my absolute fav at headcovers.com. Product Id: TU-11061. Wish it came in more colors.

As for a wig, I got a really nice synthetic one. When I have hair, I will take it to my stylist for a color/style match. However I wore it one day and it drove me crazy. My head was still itchy, a bit sore and the wig made my head hurt. Couldn't wait to get home and rip it off. Maybe I'll try it again someday, but I'm having too much fun w/the headcovers.

Take care,

cindy

falling hair
    i am already tired of it falling out ,i think i will just shave it and get it done with ,i have been trying different ways to wear the scarfs with out them moving around alot and slipping ,i like a few ways i can wear the scarf and use a wide hair band to secure it ,the options are endless with the colors of hair bands and all the different scarfs,I am going to make the best of it one way or another ,,my granddaughter is wanting all my stuff but she will have to wait till get done then she can gladly have them ,,hope your chemo isnt to bad ,it seems everyone goes through the same thing pretty much,i am hoping it isnt any worse than the first one ,but i know it can go either way.i will look up the headcover site you wrote about and check it out ,,thank you very much,,keep me up on how you are doing. Take care ,,Nangyjoe
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    nangyjoe said:

falling hair
    i am already tired of it falling out ,i think i will just shave it and get it done with ,i have been trying different ways to wear the scarfs with out them moving around alot and slipping ,i like a few ways i can wear the scarf and use a wide hair band to secure it ,the options are endless with the colors of hair bands and all the different scarfs,I am going to make the best of it one way or another ,,my granddaughter is wanting all my stuff but she will have to wait till get done then she can gladly have them ,,hope your chemo isnt to bad ,it seems everyone goes through the same thing pretty much,i am hoping it isnt any worse than the first one ,but i know it can go either way.i will look up the headcover site you wrote about and check it out ,,thank you very much,,keep me up on how you are doing. Take care ,,Nangyjoe

Wishing you well with chemo
    Wishing you well with chemo nangyjoe. There is another post on here about websites that offer headcoverings, scarves and lots of stuff for free to chemo patients. I hope you might find something there that you like. I will bump it up for you.

Good luck!

Jan
  • nangyjoe
    VickiSam said:

Nangyjoe .. My heart goes out to you .. Just a few
    items that helped thru my chemo journey .. 18 weeks straight .. no breaks..

• Support your immune system with iron- and protein-rich foods (but check with doctor before taking supplement)
    • Careful with protein bars (or any other foods) that contain soy if you are ER+
    • Closing the toilet seat before flushing will dramatically reduce distribution of bacteria in the bathroom. I was told to flush twice first 2 days after chemo (
    • Replace (or wash w/ bleach) the shower curtain liners.
    • Get soft, seam-free (or as seam-free as possible) hat for sleeping-in
    • Wear latex-gloves when cleaning to avoid nicks and scratches

Metallic taste
    • Use plastic flatware instead of metal
    • Biotene mouth wash and/or mouthrinse (and/or toothpaste and chewing gum, lemon/lime cordial, mints)
    • Regular exercise (e.g., a walk) seems to help lessen or prevent Neulasta pain for many of us

Sleeplessness (esp in first few days post chemo) - exercise or read a book, watch a move

Neuropathy and Hand Foot Syndrome (associated with the Taxanes)

* Avoid going barefoot. Wear slippers or "crocs" always.* Gently massage feet and hands with lotion to keep them soft and improve circulation. (I like Udderly SMOOth with Urea. Reasonably priced; available at www.drugstore.com) * Wash hands (and dishes) in lukewarm water, not hot.
    * Ask onco about taking 50 mg of B6 to address neuropathy (tingling, numbness that often appears first in feet and hands)

lastly:

Constipation
    • Eating fiber in days before chemo can help prevent/lessen constipation. And trust me, constipation on chemo can be excruciating.

• Prune juice (you can mix it with Milk of Magnesia for a "cocktail")

• Colace (docusate sodium) is an over the counter stool softener to have on hand.
    • Senekot-S is a gentle laxative with a little Colace added in.
    • Snacking on things like prunes or dried apricots can help
    • Lots of water helps here, too.

Best of luck ..

Vicki Sam

thank you
    this was a big help ,thank you .the first chemo was a real trip but i beleive others have it much worse,but it sure was a mix of things and each day was different,I guess i'm looking for the same or around that for the next one ,but i know it could be worse,time will tell ,i cant believe almost all my hair has fell out in 5 days ,i have a lot of head gear ready ,i dont want to upset the grandkids ,but i will be getting all the supplies i need in tomorrow because i have chemo number 2 on Friday.I hope it goes as fast as this time did ,before you know it ,it will all be over.Thank you once again for all your help. Nangyjoe
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    nangyjoe said:

Day 7

Happy for you that your
    Happy for you that your chemo is going well for you! Praying it continues!

Hugs, Diane
  • nangyjoe
    DianeBC said:

Happy for you that your
    Happy for you that your chemo is going well for you! Praying it continues!

Hugs, Diane

i finally had it with my falling hair everywhere,i had my daughter shave it for me last night ,i really didnt feel bad about it being gone ,i feel relieved its one less thing to think about ,and i get over heated because my hair was so thick so it really is the best thing for me at this time.i go friday for chemo and will be glad to walk out of the office and say ,,,yeah two down two to go,,that will be great.Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. Hugs Nangyjoe
  • Kimosabe
    Kimosabe Member Posts: 43
    VickiSam said:

Nangyjoe .. My heart goes out to you .. Just a few
    items that helped thru my chemo journey .. 18 weeks straight .. no breaks..

• Support your immune system with iron- and protein-rich foods (but check with doctor before taking supplement)
    • Careful with protein bars (or any other foods) that contain soy if you are ER+
    • Closing the toilet seat before flushing will dramatically reduce distribution of bacteria in the bathroom. I was told to flush twice first 2 days after chemo (
    • Replace (or wash w/ bleach) the shower curtain liners.
    • Get soft, seam-free (or as seam-free as possible) hat for sleeping-in
    • Wear latex-gloves when cleaning to avoid nicks and scratches

Metallic taste
    • Use plastic flatware instead of metal
    • Biotene mouth wash and/or mouthrinse (and/or toothpaste and chewing gum, lemon/lime cordial, mints)
    • Regular exercise (e.g., a walk) seems to help lessen or prevent Neulasta pain for many of us

Sleeplessness (esp in first few days post chemo) - exercise or read a book, watch a move

Neuropathy and Hand Foot Syndrome (associated with the Taxanes)

* Avoid going barefoot. Wear slippers or "crocs" always.* Gently massage feet and hands with lotion to keep them soft and improve circulation. (I like Udderly SMOOth with Urea. Reasonably priced; available at www.drugstore.com) * Wash hands (and dishes) in lukewarm water, not hot.
    * Ask onco about taking 50 mg of B6 to address neuropathy (tingling, numbness that often appears first in feet and hands)

lastly:

Constipation
    • Eating fiber in days before chemo can help prevent/lessen constipation. And trust me, constipation on chemo can be excruciating.

• Prune juice (you can mix it with Milk of Magnesia for a "cocktail")

• Colace (docusate sodium) is an over the counter stool softener to have on hand.
    • Senekot-S is a gentle laxative with a little Colace added in.
    • Snacking on things like prunes or dried apricots can help
    • Lots of water helps here, too.

Best of luck ..

Vicki Sam

Great advice! Good luck!

Great advice! Good luck!