My turn for Relay for Life

BethInAz
BethInAz Member Posts: 203 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
The Relay for Life was an amazing experience. Emotionally charged events during my 12 hours were the survivor's lap which I walked with a new 33-year old friend who has just completed her first chemo -- and seeing my name and those of my deceased parents up on the screen during the luminaria ceremony. Also very touching was the fact that my church family has rallied around this event and walked for me and the others in our congregation who have been struck with cancer over the past year. About 10% of our membership had cancer diagnoses in the past year and we've lost a couple to the disease. Those that walked in honor of or in memory of those people and others in their own families did so with joy and conviction. And we raised money! We sold coffee, caramel rolls and cupcakes. We had a silent auction. Now we're already planning for next year and ready to retool to make even more money. What a wonderful event to participate in. I'd encourage everybody to take part.
Much love to all,
Beth

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Good For you! Thanks for
    Good For you! Thanks for describing the great time you had~ it is certainly emotionally charged, isn't it? But the fellow-feeling is a joy and it makes us even more determined to be part of Finding a Cure!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    chenheart said:

Good For you! Thanks for
    Good For you! Thanks for describing the great time you had~ it is certainly emotionally charged, isn't it? But the fellow-feeling is a joy and it makes us even more determined to be part of Finding a Cure!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

WTG Beth! I am so happy
    WTG Beth! I am so happy that you had such a great time! I haven't been to one yet, as, I am kind of scared too.

Got pics of it?

Sue :)
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Beth -
    How wonderful and it sounds like a great event!!
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

Beth -
    How wonderful and it sounds like a great event!!

Thanks Beth for walking for
    Thanks Beth for walking for all of us!

Hugs, Megan
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Megan M said:

Thanks Beth for walking for
    Thanks Beth for walking for all of us!

Hugs, Megan

So happy that you had such a
    So happy that you had such a great time! Thank you for taking us with you Beth!
  • Emilyfimily
    Emilyfimily Member Posts: 141
    So glad you had such a good
    So glad you had such a good time!!! I did my first R4L a couple weeks ago, and wow I am so hooked. It is such a cool experience to celebrate with so many other survivors. :D
  • Flakey_Flake
    Flakey_Flake Member Posts: 130
    Rock and Roll
    Beth -

You rock when it's a hard rock to roll! Awsome work, and I do mean work, but you are a champion!
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Thanks, Beth, for sharing
    Thanks, Beth, for sharing with all of us. I remember all to well my first walk last year.....very emotional. It was well worth it and I will participate again this year.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

So glad you had such a good
    So glad you had such a good time!!! I did my first R4L a couple weeks ago, and wow I am so hooked. It is such a cool experience to celebrate with so many other survivors. :D

I haven't participated in
    I haven't participated in one yet. I am not sure I am ready to. But, I am glad you went and had such a great time!

Thanks!
  • BethInAz
    BethInAz Member Posts: 203 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Thanks, Beth, for sharing
    Thanks, Beth, for sharing with all of us. I remember all to well my first walk last year.....very emotional. It was well worth it and I will participate again this year.

Pictures of Relay
    Thanks everybody for your posts! It was an amazing time and I'm still basking in the memory. I've posted a couple of pictures on my expressions page - so you can check them out! For those who are worried about attending - I felt the same way. I took a whole box of tissues knowing that I would probably totally lose it. And I did sniffle my way through parts of the event - but it was good sniffling. Now I found out that ACS is trying to begin a cancer support group in our small town - at our local hospital. A luncheon is planned for those interested to be held later this week. I'm thinking of attending. I've had it in mind to offer through our church a faith-based BC support group. I don't think there's anything like that at all in our community.
    Please pray about this for me.
    Many thanks - and blessings/love to all!
    Beth
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Thanks
    for posting about your experience. It sounds like you got a lot out of the event. Thank you for raising money.

Mimi
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Glad you had such a great
    Glad you had such a great time. I have never done relay but I do participate in the Susan G Komen Race each year. It is definitely an awesome experience! It really brings us closer.
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    mimivac said:

Thanks
    for posting about your experience. It sounds like you got a lot out of the event. Thank you for raising money.

Mimi

Relay's For Life can be amazing. Sounds like this one was for you!

♥ Kristin ♥