any smokers still smoking?

camsgram
camsgram Member Posts: 106
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I seem to be having a terrible time quitting smoking. I have cut way way back though. Is anyone else struggling with this.

Kathie

Comments

• XO143XO
    XO143XO Member Posts: 23
    Been Quiting for a Year
    I have been taking Chantix off and on for the past year. It has some really bad side-effects that some don't seem to get but I had/have most of them (except being suicidal). Two weeks before I was diagnosed I went to 7-Eleven and bought an E-Cigarette (electronic) for 24.99. It comes with the cigarette, 4 refills, and a USB charger. You can get it with different levels of nicotine or with no nicotine at all. Of course I bought the middle level nicotine and it was just like smoking. I loved it. The zero nicotine doesn't give you that "bite in your throat" when you inhale like the nicotine ones do but if you start with a little nicotine and then wean yourself it may help. Then when I was diagnosed I went back and bought a bunch of the zero nicotine refills (10 for 14.99). Between the Chantix and the E-cigarette I haven't smoked since the day after the cancer news. Chantix blocks the nicotine receptors in the brain so there isn't any nicotine cravings and the cigarette actually is water vapor so you are inhaling and blowing out "fake smoke." Chantix is expensive and does have bad side effects so you may want to try the E-cigarette and reduce the nicotine levels steadily until you get to zero. There's always "Cold Turkey" but that wasn't for me. There are a lot of E-smokes coming out on the market...even the one that they sell at 7-Eleven is triple the price at the companies own website! I don't get it. Shop around if you are interested. I believe it was Mark Twain that said quiting smoking is easy, he'd done it hundereds of times... I have been like that but I never gave up on trying. Keep trying until it happens. Good luck, you can do it!! I smoked for 33 years and now I am 5 weeks clean. Kristi :)
  • Flakey_Flake
    Flakey_Flake Member Posts: 130
    AAARRGH!
    Kathie,

You bring up something I am having a helluva time with. Ihave tried every trick in the book, hypnotism, patches, chantix, lozenges, gum, you name it, I've tried it. But no success.

It can be so discouraging at times. My boyfriend stopped when he got dx with throat cancer. Am I next? I keep telling myself that I will stop when .... but none of my whens have done the trick. I can not smoke for hours at a time. When I go for chemos, I was in the clinic for up to eight hours, and never thought of smoking. It is just when I am in relax mode that it really gets to me. I think my smoking is a psychological thing. I could use a good shrink, but there are none in my clinic ... AAARRRRGH! I reallyt wish I never took that first puff!

Sharon
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Not a smoker but...
    Hi Kathie,

I was one of those social smokers and had stopped that years ago. However we all come into this bc situations with damaging habits that can increase our chances of recurrerance. In my case, it's my 2 glasses a wine a night. Most nights I do without but I REALLY miss it. It was especially difficult with the new stressers that bc brings. The biggest help was hypnosis. She gave me a tape which I listen to at least once a week. My cancer is estrogen driven and drinking is risky. Good luck and be patient with yourself. These habits developed over time.

Roseann
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Add me to the list
    Current smoker...:-( I know! it's awful isn't it?! You would think the scare of hearing our diagnosis would be enough to give up this nasty habit. Someone at my previous Onc. office gave me one of those E cigarettes to try, but I had a difficult time with it & gave up. I'm hoping by my next birthday to be nicotine free. Cutting back is a great start, so don't be too hard on yourself. You can do it!!
    Cat
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Cat64 said:

Add me to the list
    Current smoker...:-( I know! it's awful isn't it?! You would think the scare of hearing our diagnosis would be enough to give up this nasty habit. Someone at my previous Onc. office gave me one of those E cigarettes to try, but I had a difficult time with it & gave up. I'm hoping by my next birthday to be nicotine free. Cutting back is a great start, so don't be too hard on yourself. You can do it!!
    Cat

I agree with Cat. Just try
    I agree with Cat. Just try cutting back. When you go to get a cigarette, put it off for another 5 or 10 or 15 minutes. Get busy doing something else and you will slowly not be smoking as many. You have to really want to quit in your head. Until then, it won't happen. You all will, just give yourself some time. And, if you need help, there are drugs out there to help you. Good luck to you! I know it isn't easy!
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    DebbyM said:

I agree with Cat. Just try
    I agree with Cat. Just try cutting back. When you go to get a cigarette, put it off for another 5 or 10 or 15 minutes. Get busy doing something else and you will slowly not be smoking as many. You have to really want to quit in your head. Until then, it won't happen. You all will, just give yourself some time. And, if you need help, there are drugs out there to help you. Good luck to you! I know it isn't easy!

Yep every body keeps asking
    Yep every body keeps asking me if I quit and I tell them its my boob not my lung! I will be stopping two weeks before surgery. so I have one more week before i quit.
  • AMomNETN
    AMomNETN Member Posts: 242
    No
    I've smoked off and on for years now. Mainly in the car to and from work. Usually if something stressful happened at work. I did smoke for a few days after my dianogis. I gave it up. I kinda looked at it as God smacking me up side the head the get my attention. I'd prefered another way but it wasn't to be. I really don't miss them as much as I thought I would. If I get a craving I try to find something else to do for a few minutes and it passes. I have no secret except to keep trying. Keep Trying!!!
  • camsgram
    thanks everyone! this is all
    thanks everyone! this is all so hard but we are all strong and will get better in on e way or another.
    I just joined but I already know I have true friends here.
    Pink sister Kathie
  • camsgram

Yep every body keeps asking
    Yep every body keeps asking me if I quit and I tell them its my boob not my lung! I will be stopping two weeks before surgery. so I have one more week before i quit.

I will be praying for you
    I will be praying for you and if you want to talk let me know. Take care it will all be better than you think. I was scared and here it is 3 months later and on the upswing (for now!) what kind of surgery are you having? I had bilateral masectomy with tissue expanders.

Kathie
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    camsgram said:

thanks everyone! this is all so hard but we are all strong and will get better in on e way or another.
    Pink sister Kathie

Ex smoker
    Just wanted to add, that after smoking since a very young age cancer was just what I needed to realize it was sucking the life out of me. Truly, with every drag I felt it physically.
    I had smoked since age 5 quitting for about 10 years from 17 to 27 and then started again. This next time trying to finally quit took help. I went to accupuncturist and had the full Montey not just 3 pokes in the ear. I think the brain relates smoking to pain now since the accupuncture was pure PAIN.
    I had to tell myself it was killing instead of all the things I told myself all the years I smoked. Keeps the weight off was my LINE.
    It isn't easy that is for sure but we have had a better insentive than most people and I finally quit for me. A present to myself for survival. I didn't quit while going through all the treatments at even the suggestion of Oncologist since this was a very stressful time but should look at it.
    Smoking and Drinking are two things that women do that totally affect the estrogen in our bodies. We seem to have all the curses...
    Best of Luck to you all,
    Tara
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    24242 said:

Ex smoker
    Just wanted to add, that after smoking since a very young age cancer was just what I needed to realize it was sucking the life out of me. Truly, with every drag I felt it physically.
    I had smoked since age 5 quitting for about 10 years from 17 to 27 and then started again. This next time trying to finally quit took help. I went to accupuncturist and had the full Montey not just 3 pokes in the ear. I think the brain relates smoking to pain now since the accupuncture was pure PAIN.
    I had to tell myself it was killing instead of all the things I told myself all the years I smoked. Keeps the weight off was my LINE.
    It isn't easy that is for sure but we have had a better insentive than most people and I finally quit for me. A present to myself for survival. I didn't quit while going through all the treatments at even the suggestion of Oncologist since this was a very stressful time but should look at it.
    Smoking and Drinking are two things that women do that totally affect the estrogen in our bodies. We seem to have all the curses...
    Best of Luck to you all,
    Tara

Quitting is hard!
    Like Tara, I didn't take quitting seriously until all my treatments were done. Oh, I tried, probably 10 or more times since diagnosis, but never made it past 3 days. I finished radiation on April 15th and decided to dedicate my quit to my mother's birthday... May 1st. Today is my 5th day and I feel different this time. It doesn't seem quite as difficult. Could have something to do with kneeling beside my bed the night before quitting BEGGING God to help me ;) I am using the patch and have joined Quitnet online. You have to want it really bad... I know this. I'm hoping I want it bad enough, lol.

Hugs, Mar
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Marlene_K said:

Quitting is hard!
    Like Tara, I didn't take quitting seriously until all my treatments were done. Oh, I tried, probably 10 or more times since diagnosis, but never made it past 3 days. I finished radiation on April 15th and decided to dedicate my quit to my mother's birthday... May 1st. Today is my 5th day and I feel different this time. It doesn't seem quite as difficult. Could have something to do with kneeling beside my bed the night before quitting BEGGING God to help me ;) I am using the patch and have joined Quitnet online. You have to want it really bad... I know this. I'm hoping I want it bad enough, lol.

Hugs, Mar

I am not a smoker
    But I wish you all success in doing what you have to do to quit! I wish my son would quit. He mentioned to his dad the other day that he really wants to so maybe this time my wish will come true.

Good luck to you all!!
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    camsgram said:

Pink sister Kathie

Wishing all of you that
    Wishing all of you that still smoke good luck in stopping. You can do it!
  • Gabbie99
    Gabbie99 Member Posts: 17
    guilty
    Yep- I a one of the smokers with cancer. I am a social smoker and stick to only 5 cigarettes every night. A lot of smokers simply can't do that - but I've never been one to light one up during the day. Too busy to smoke - but boy when I sit down in front of the TV at night or go have a few beers with friends (who smoke) it's the best! I really don't even want to quit! Feel really guilty buying a pack, but I have always believed in moderation and I try to justify to myself- walk/run 4 miles three nights a week and weights 3 nights a week...eat healthy....I have given it up for 3 or 4 days at a time on business trips when no one else smokes...and after a mastectomy for a couple nights...but then right back in the routine...
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Kathie........
    I quit smoking last October, after 40 years of two packs a day.

I had a lung cancer scare, while I was just finishing treatment for BC, and I just decided that enough was enough. I needed to try and help myself to get healthier and stay healthier.
    While my Drs. all said that smoking does not contribute to BC, I knew that it was really in my best interest to quit.
    I armed myself with nicotine gum and basically just a determination to quit.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, it was not easy. But I made it through each hour of each day, and before I knew it, a month had gone by. And then another month. And so on.
    I told my family that it seemed like it was more the "fear of trying to quit" than actually quitting, that had kept me smoking.
    At any rate, I don't plan on starting again. And trust me, I DO know how hard it is.

Don't be afraid to ask your Drs. for help and don't be afraid to use every smoking aid available to you. See if you can "buddy-up" with someone else who wants to quit.
    And I wish you the very best of luck. I will be cheering you on!!

Hugs,

CR
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    CR1954 said:

Kathie........

I had a lung cancer scare, while I was just finishing treatment for BC, and I just decided that enough was enough. I needed to try and help myself to get healthier and stay healthier.
    While my Drs. all said that smoking does not contribute to BC, I knew that it was really in my best interest to quit.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, it was not easy. But I made it through each hour of each day, and before I knew it, a month had gone by. And then another month. And so on.
    I told my family that it seemed like it was more the "fear of trying to quit" than actually quitting, that had kept me smoking.
    At any rate, I don't plan on starting again. And trust me, I DO know how hard it is.

Don't be afraid to ask your Drs. for help and don't be afraid to use every smoking aid available to you. See if you can "buddy-up" with someone else who wants to quit.

Hugs,

CR

Cindy,
    So glad to hear that

Cindy,

So glad to hear that you are still winning the smoking battle. I had to read your message when I saw that you posted about smoking: I'm glad to hear it is still good news!

Joyce
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    jk1952 said:

Cindy,
    So glad to hear that

Cindy,

So glad to hear that you are still winning the smoking battle. I had to read your message when I saw that you posted about smoking: I'm glad to hear it is still good news!

Joyce

Thank you Joyce!
    Yep, still smoke-free! And even though there are times when I would LOVE a cigarette, I have not succumbed to temptation. And I don't plan to! LOL!!

CR
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    CR1954 said:

Kathie........

Hugs,

CR

Doctors
    I am sorry to say but cigarette smoking is a huge contributing factor for all types of cancer let alone a hoste of other diseases. Our Estorgen is totally affected by smoking and drinking and know this now. It raises the estrogen in our bodies.
    14 years ago depending on where you lived in Canada determined how much they really knew about cancer. Alberta didn't believe smoking was a factor and of coarse my father's side had no baring on the heriditary factor. When I moved to British Columbia Smoking is a factor as well as drinking and this province has a 28% better success rate for all cancers than Alberta or any other province in my country.
    I smoked since the age of 5 and drank from the age of 11. I am hoping that I am not genetically linked but if I am I can only hope that my son will do things a little differently to lower his chances of getting the same Breast Cancer.
    Maybe in the day that the cigarette actually had tobacco in it you might be able to believe it isn't a factor but there isn't anything real in that cigarrette anymore. I am tired of people thinking that smoking isn't the reason for their bad health. I have friends that ask me if I think that is a cause and my answer is infactically YES!! I might not have smoked and drank from such a young age and that might of cut down my risks for getting the BC.
    I am here cheering you on with the no smoking. It is a mental shift that is necessary.
    BE good to yourself always,
    Tara
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    CR1954 said:

Thank you Joyce!
    Yep, still smoke-free! And even though there are times when I would LOVE a cigarette, I have not succumbed to temptation. And I don't plan to! LOL!!

CR

Congrats CR! Quitting is
    Congrats CR! Quitting is very hard!

Sue :)
  • katznc
    katznc Member Posts: 70
    still smoking
    I'm still smoking ugh. I have quit twice on Wellbutrin ? spelling ? The only side effect for me was constipation but then everything constipates me. It does give you a little mellow feeling also a bonus. My problem is that as soon as I over stress I use it as an excuse to smoke so I always start back up.