Hi from England

2»

Comments

• BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Welcome
    I had a lumpectomy in Sept 0f 09 and began chemo in Nov 09. I had 3 dozes of Taxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin. Changed Oncologists because I wasn't being treated the way I should have been. Treatment 4 and 5 were FEC 100. Treatment 6 was Abraxane. I had issues with all of my chemos and that is why I had soo many different ones. Trying to find one that did not give me Big D. Finished chemo on the 26th of Feb. Due to start rads on the 18th of May. My tumor was Stage 2a. ER+, PR+ and Her2nu+. I get Herceptin now and will be able to stop it in Nov 10. Have to take it for a year. Am also taking Femara now and will continue it for 5 years.

Great survivors here with lots of good advice and support.

Sending cyber hugs.

Donna
  • Miss Murphy
    Miss Murphy Member Posts: 302
    Hi and Welcome
    You've come to a great place with lots of friendly ladies (and men!) who have tons of advice. I was dx two years ago and had a masectomy. Didn't need chemo so as someone else said, we're on the same river but different boats. I'm currently on tamoxifen.

I feel the same way about England as you do about America! Good luck with the rest of your chemo. Hugs, Sally
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    You found a great place
    You found a great place when you came here. I am sorry you are here but I'm sure you will find lots of answers. I find out a lot of things without even having to ask because someelse has the same questions.

Hugs
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Welcome, Sparklewings. You
    Welcome, Sparklewings. You have come to the right place for support, encouragement, friendship and knowledge. I didn't have the same chemo cocktail as you but did have a lumpectomy. All of this is doable, so ask away and we'll share our experience. Take care.

A big welcome to you
    A big welcome to you Sparklewings! I love your name too! There is a wealth of support and information here for you. So, ask any question or post your feelings whenever you want.

Leeza
  • sparklewings
    sparklewings Member Posts: 29

Hi and Welcome
    You've come to a great place with lots of friendly ladies (and men!) who have tons of advice. I was dx two years ago and had a masectomy. Didn't need chemo so as someone else said, we're on the same river but different boats. I'm currently on tamoxifen.

I feel the same way about England as you do about America! Good luck with the rest of your chemo. Hugs, Sally

miss murphy
    Thanks hun for the warm welcome. I already feel at home here! I'm quite a strong person but this has knocked me for 6. I now feel i have this weight hanging over me for at least the next 10 yrs always waiting and wondering if its going to return. Does this go? I was told by my nurse the other day that i was the unlucky one cos my sister hasn't got it and that really hit home. Why me, not her? Am i going to see my kids grow up or these horrible thoughts!

Then the other day a friend said how she admired me cos i don't appear to have changed in attitude, still laughing as normal which i suppose i am, i've got it which doesn't seem real, and have to deal with it, theres no choice cos i'm not going to give up!

Are you having any side effects with tamoxifen cos i have to go on that once i've finished chemo and rads.

Have you been to England and whereabouts? There are some lovely areas and indeed lovely people but you guys have it all!

Lots of love x kim
  • sparklewings
    sparklewings Member Posts: 29

Welcome
    I had a lumpectomy in Sept 0f 09 and began chemo in Nov 09. I had 3 dozes of Taxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin. Changed Oncologists because I wasn't being treated the way I should have been. Treatment 4 and 5 were FEC 100. Treatment 6 was Abraxane. I had issues with all of my chemos and that is why I had soo many different ones. Trying to find one that did not give me Big D. Finished chemo on the 26th of Feb. Due to start rads on the 18th of May. My tumor was Stage 2a. ER+, PR+ and Her2nu+. I get Herceptin now and will be able to stop it in Nov 10. Have to take it for a year. Am also taking Femara now and will continue it for 5 years.

Great survivors here with lots of good advice and support.

Sending cyber hugs.

Donna

BlownAway60
    Hi donna, thanks for the cyber hugs! You've had a journey and half. Were you suffering badly with sickness etc not sure what big D is. At least you've finished with all that now so you must feel grateful for that! I've heard that rads isnt that bad it just makes the area sore so i think i can cope with that, i hate being sick! and popping pills even better once thats gone.

lots of love

kim x
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851

BlownAway60
    Hi donna, thanks for the cyber hugs! You've had a journey and half. Were you suffering badly with sickness etc not sure what big D is. At least you've finished with all that now so you must feel grateful for that! I've heard that rads isnt that bad it just makes the area sore so i think i can cope with that, i hate being sick! and popping pills even better once thats gone.

lots of love

kim x

Big D is Diarrhea
    I had it for days, with nausea and some vomiting. Was sooooooo glad when chemo was done. My reaction was not normal but some do have those kind of side effects.

Hugs

Donna
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Welcome!
    I'm one of the 'old timers' (lol...NOT old ladies...oh, wait, I AM 55 this year...lol!).

Welcome to the group! We have many from around the world, cancer ties us together. We even have one gal who uses a translator program (sometimes the words sound the same, but it's a giggle to see the spelling this program comes up with....).

I fly over you (well, close, anyway) 4 times a year on my 'communte' to my other home in The Netherlands...I will wave the next time!

Hugs, Kathi

Oh, lumpectomy, stage II (sentinel node involved) invasive breast cancer, NED (No Evidence of Disease) for almost 5 years.
  • Miss Murphy
    Miss Murphy Member Posts: 302

miss murphy
    Thanks hun for the warm welcome. I already feel at home here! I'm quite a strong person but this has knocked me for 6. I now feel i have this weight hanging over me for at least the next 10 yrs always waiting and wondering if its going to return. Does this go? I was told by my nurse the other day that i was the unlucky one cos my sister hasn't got it and that really hit home. Why me, not her? Am i going to see my kids grow up or these horrible thoughts!

Then the other day a friend said how she admired me cos i don't appear to have changed in attitude, still laughing as normal which i suppose i am, i've got it which doesn't seem real, and have to deal with it, theres no choice cos i'm not going to give up!

Are you having any side effects with tamoxifen cos i have to go on that once i've finished chemo and rads.

Have you been to England and whereabouts? There are some lovely areas and indeed lovely people but you guys have it all!

Lots of love x kim

Trust me
    Trust me this dx knocks all of us for a loop! I don't dwell on it as much as I used to but I don't really think there are many days that go by that I don't think of it. However, I have two grandaughters with another grandchild on the way and I'm totally planning on being at their weddings!!! So i just muddle on.

I started off taking Femara and then Arimidex since I'm post menopausal. Both drugs made my life pretty miserable so my onc switched me to Tamoxifen last fall. I have hot flashes but not bad ones and I feel that I have muscle aches and pains whereas with the first two drugs, it was severe muscle and joint pain. So this is better but not perfect. Many on this board have no problems with any of these drugs so hopefully you will be one of these lucky ones.

I've never been to England but my brother was stationed there and loved his time there. I would love to go there one day but for now I will just have to be content reading books set in your country. Take good care of yourself, sparklewings.
  • Verite
    Verite Member Posts: 4
    m-star said:

Hey sparklewings!
    IM FROM

Hey sparklewings!
    IM FROM ENGLAND TOO!!!!!!

I kinda flit between here and the lymphoma discussion board,as i had HL when i was 17 but the radiation they gave me for that put me high risk of BC so just had prophylactic bilaeral mastectomies in Feb.

There are no good sites like this in the UK are there!That why i felt the need to seek out people here and what an amazing bunch they all are! Love them all! Theyt have all been so supportive and given me lots of advice,virtual hugs and love!

I too love the States and it's ppl as they're so warm and friendly.Sad to say ppl in th UK just seem to want to focus on their own lives and have no interest in supporting other who need help and guidance (although im sure thats not true of all of us Brits).

Anyway.....welcome!

Treatment in UK
    I recognise your photo! Like you, I am English, and have just joined this chatroom to try and get more information. It is a real shame that twenty years ago British cancer treatment was some of best in world, and I lived right next to Royal Marsden hospital, where staff were constantly being asked to conferences abroad to talk about ground-breaking work they were doing. But by time I went there, they are 'over-NHS-ed' and don't have time to do more than short consultations on basics.

I had horrible side effects - became blind in one eye and developed skin lesions all over body. When I wrote 'all I was told was do you want to come off the drug?' I was hauled over coals and told I was being disloyal to hospital! No offer to help. So I went to France (superb treatment which sorted out side effects and helped me stay on drugs), and then started www.after-cancer.com to help others who have problems with side effects, and want to know what hospitals in France and USA are doing to treat these.

Thanks to wonderful email help from Dana-Farber Hospital in USA I have been sent down path to go and see an Accredited Medical Genetic Oncologist (only one in UK!)to find out if there is something in my blood that caused side effects (also carpal tunnel syndrome, seven-hour heart operation, osteoporosis, etc). Apparently this type of detective work is becoming norm in US - when I mention it to medics in London they look at me as though I am speaking a foreign language! If I find anything, will be mentioning this on after-cancer.com. I have to pay for consultation, even though if the Medical Oncologist finds out what is causing my side effects, this will save NHS money (heaven knows what heart op cost!).

So all is not doom and gloom, but like you I bless the Internet and the help one gets from medics in USA, who think looking on Internet is sensible part of treatment!

Verite
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    Verite said:

Treatment in UK
    I recognise your photo! Like you, I am English, and have just joined this chatroom to try and get more information. It is a real shame that twenty years ago British cancer treatment was some of best in world, and I lived right next to Royal Marsden hospital, where staff were constantly being asked to conferences abroad to talk about ground-breaking work they were doing. But by time I went there, they are 'over-NHS-ed' and don't have time to do more than short consultations on basics.

I had horrible side effects - became blind in one eye and developed skin lesions all over body. When I wrote 'all I was told was do you want to come off the drug?' I was hauled over coals and told I was being disloyal to hospital! No offer to help. So I went to France (superb treatment which sorted out side effects and helped me stay on drugs), and then started www.after-cancer.com to help others who have problems with side effects, and want to know what hospitals in France and USA are doing to treat these.

Thanks to wonderful email help from Dana-Farber Hospital in USA I have been sent down path to go and see an Accredited Medical Genetic Oncologist (only one in UK!)to find out if there is something in my blood that caused side effects (also carpal tunnel syndrome, seven-hour heart operation, osteoporosis, etc). Apparently this type of detective work is becoming norm in US - when I mention it to medics in London they look at me as though I am speaking a foreign language! If I find anything, will be mentioning this on after-cancer.com. I have to pay for consultation, even though if the Medical Oncologist finds out what is causing my side effects, this will save NHS money (heaven knows what heart op cost!).

So all is not doom and gloom, but like you I bless the Internet and the help one gets from medics in USA, who think looking on Internet is sensible part of treatment!

Verite

Hiya Verite!
    good to catch

Hiya Verite!

good to catch up with you on here (im on here more than our uk site) and the chat room is back up and running so maybe catch up with you some time.
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Welcome Sparklewings!
    A little different boat - same creek!

Sue
  • katznc
    katznc Member Posts: 70
    Hi from North Carolina (NC)
    Hi Sparklewings

So glad to have you join us. Anytime you need to ask what something is, someone or some ten will be glad to answer. Its funny cause I love England and am a big history fan. I hope to go back soon for another vacation. You have lots of wonderful things there, like great public tranportation, beautiful countryside, fatastic old buildings.

I have a friend who has been living in Cobham, Surry for about 4 years and is coming back to the states this summer. She is both glad and sad and I have been totally jealous of her for getting to live there.

Hugs and welcome
    Debby
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    m-star said:

Hey Kim!
    yeah sorry,i had a

Hey Kim!

yeah sorry,i had a double preventative mastectomy! so no treatment as it was just a precaution as i was high risk-thankfully.

I get confused when people talk about pain killers on here as i have no idea what Tylenol or Advil is! lol we have good old Paracetamol and Ibuprofen here dont we!

I had tissue expanders put in at the same time as my mastectmy so i am in the middle of reconstruction at the mo'. Being topped up with saline to stretch my skin and pectoral muscle as the expanders lay under the muscle as opposed to just under the skin. I have had 3 fills so far and my 3rd one last weeek has been murder! My PS (plastic surgeon) will slightly over expand me then put a slighly smaller silicone gel implant in to allow for shrinkage of the skin.

Another confusing thing on here is when you ask someone where they're from and they just put VA or PA or something! lol I dont have a clue which state half of them are! you soon get used to ppl abbreviating words too like diagnosed (dx) mastectomy (mx) bilateral mastectomy (bmx <---that would be a bike to us!), breast cancer (BC) etc.

Ijust heard the 'chat' room should be back up and running soon but its on Java and i have trouble with that so may not be able to use chat anymore =(

nice to hear from you anyway.

Kay</p>

Your Paracetemol is our
    Your Paracetemol is our Tylenol ( main ingredient acetaminophen, or NON-aspirin pain/fever reducer) and your Ibuprofin is our Advid or Motrin! So, we have the same OTC pain relievers afterall! :-)

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    katznc said:

Hi from North Carolina (NC)
    Hi Sparklewings

So glad to have you join us. Anytime you need to ask what something is, someone or some ten will be glad to answer. Its funny cause I love England and am a big history fan. I hope to go back soon for another vacation. You have lots of wonderful things there, like great public tranportation, beautiful countryside, fatastic old buildings.

I have a friend who has been living in Cobham, Surry for about 4 years and is coming back to the states this summer. She is both glad and sad and I have been totally jealous of her for getting to live there.

Hugs and welcome
    Debby

Welcome Sparklewings~
    My grandparents were from England~I hope to someday see where they grew up, met, and got married. I am in Washington State~
    You will find yourself amongst a sisterhood that truly spans the sea's here~
    Much support, encouragement and joy here on these boards.
    Melanie
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Hello SparkleWings!I LOVE
    Hello SparkleWings!

I LOVE England! I was raised in Germany, and my parents went to England as often as possible; mostly to Basingstoke, where my moms best friend lived...

As far as I can tell, your chemo regimin, FEC is similar to, though not exactly the "cocktail", or mixture of chemo drugs we get here in the US. As long as it does battle with the beast and kills it~bring on the chemicals! Please remember to drink plenty of water~ it flushes and hydrates the system, and helps stave off possible constipation. I know many get the exact opposite of constipation, but believe me, you want neither of those extremes if you can avoid it! Keep a vigilant watch on your temperature...if it goes up even atiny bit, it is time to call your Dr! Chemo depletes the infection fighting white blood cells, and we are simply not capable to fighting off an infection. The slightly elevated body temps we experienced before cancer , which we safely ignored, cannot be ignored DURING chemo. We live by a different set of rules while we are in treatment~keep that in mind.

I had a lumpectomy with lymphnode removal 7 years ago in March, and so far I am doing fine! Our "personal odometers" don't exactly go back to zero after we reach a magic 5 year mark, but every day without cancer is a good one!

We welcome you to our Family of amazing, supportive, empathetic Kindred Spirits~ come in often...we are always here!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    chenheart said:

Hello SparkleWings!I LOVE
    Hello SparkleWings!

I LOVE England! I was raised in Germany, and my parents went to England as often as possible; mostly to Basingstoke, where my moms best friend lived...

As far as I can tell, your chemo regimin, FEC is similar to, though not exactly the "cocktail", or mixture of chemo drugs we get here in the US. As long as it does battle with the beast and kills it~bring on the chemicals! Please remember to drink plenty of water~ it flushes and hydrates the system, and helps stave off possible constipation. I know many get the exact opposite of constipation, but believe me, you want neither of those extremes if you can avoid it! Keep a vigilant watch on your temperature...if it goes up even atiny bit, it is time to call your Dr! Chemo depletes the infection fighting white blood cells, and we are simply not capable to fighting off an infection. The slightly elevated body temps we experienced before cancer , which we safely ignored, cannot be ignored DURING chemo. We live by a different set of rules while we are in treatment~keep that in mind.

I had a lumpectomy with lymphnode removal 7 years ago in March, and so far I am doing fine! Our "personal odometers" don't exactly go back to zero after we reach a magic 5 year mark, but every day without cancer is a good one!

We welcome you to our Family of amazing, supportive, empathetic Kindred Spirits~ come in often...we are always here!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Hi sparkelwings! I love
    Hi sparkelwings! I love your name too! Welcome to this fabulous site full of bc survivors!

Good luck to you! Hope to see you posting more!