Hi from England

sparklewings
sparklewings Member Posts: 29
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone, i hope you don't mind me joining your discussion boards but i love america, people, place, everything and the fact you are all so lovely and friendly!

I have stage 1 Grade 2 breast cancer, don't know if its the same format for you guys... I have had a lumpectomy and have just had my 1st chemo using FEC. Anyone one else in the same boat? It would be great to hear from anyone even if not the same.

take care x

Comments

• Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Hi Sparklewings, you'll be
    Hi Sparklewings, you'll be glad you joined. I didn't have the same as you but I wanted to welcome you. I'm sure someone on here had what you had and will be posting soon.

Sher
  • Dot53
    Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member
    Hi
    Welcome mate... I had a bilateral mastectomy but wanted to say hi anyway. My husband and our family is from England (he came to the states in the 80's).. England is a beautiful country and we love going back for visits. My in-laws are coming here to stay with us at the end of May for a three week visit and we are looking forward to spending time with them...

I hope all is going well for you with your treatments...this site is filled with lovely women who are always here to provide support and kindness...

So glad you found us..

Best,
    Dot
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Welcome, Sparklewings. You
    Welcome, Sparklewings. You have come to the right place for support, encouragement, friendship and knowledge. I didn't have the same chemo cocktail as you but did have a lumpectomy. All of this is doable, so ask away and we'll share our experience. Take care.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Welcome, Sparklewings. You
    Welcome, Sparklewings. You have come to the right place for support, encouragement, friendship and knowledge. I didn't have the same chemo cocktail as you but did have a lumpectomy. All of this is doable, so ask away and we'll share our experience. Take care.

Welcome Sparklewings
    Where all in the same boat here. Glad you found us.
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    welcome aboard,
    welcome aboard, sparklewings! not in the same boat, but on the same river ; )

this is a wonderful place to share your concerns, vent when you need to, and get answers to any questions!

good luck!
    heidi
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    heidijez said:

welcome aboard,
    welcome aboard, sparklewings! not in the same boat, but on the same river ; )

this is a wonderful place to share your concerns, vent when you need to, and get answers to any questions!

good luck!
    heidi

Hey sparklewings!
    IM FROM

Hey sparklewings!
    IM FROM ENGLAND TOO!!!!!!

I kinda flit between here and the lymphoma discussion board,as i had HL when i was 17 but the radiation they gave me for that put me high risk of BC so just had prophylactic bilaeral mastectomies in Feb.

There are no good sites like this in the UK are there!That why i felt the need to seek out people here and what an amazing bunch they all are! Love them all! Theyt have all been so supportive and given me lots of advice,virtual hugs and love!

I too love the States and it's ppl as they're so warm and friendly.Sad to say ppl in th UK just seem to want to focus on their own lives and have no interest in supporting other who need help and guidance (although im sure thats not true of all of us Brits).

Anyway.....welcome!
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Warm welcome, sparklewings
    Doesn't matter where you live - the BC experience unites us. And we're all here to support and encourage each other.

My own surgery was also lumpectomy - almost 7 years ago now, come August. But, my chemo drugs were different than yours.

Please feel free to visit often, whenever you need or want. There's almost always someone here, since the board is open 24/7 each and every day.

Best wishes to you, as you move forward along your journey.

Kind regards, Susan
  • CarrWilson
    CarrWilson Member Posts: 111
    Hi Sparklewings
    What a cute name, you sound like an angel already. ;o)

Welcome to the site, I just wanted to let you know that some of the medications in the US are called by a different names then those in other countries. I know M-Star has mentioned that sometimes, so don't be too disappointed if none of us are on the same cocktail. I am on Cytoxan/Taxotere, I have my 3rd cycle today, yea! almost done!

Sorry you had to find us, but welcome to the strong pink warriors!

Best of Luck - Carrie
  • sparklewings

Hi Sparklewings
    What a cute name, you sound like an angel already. ;o)

Welcome to the site, I just wanted to let you know that some of the medications in the US are called by a different names then those in other countries. I know M-Star has mentioned that sometimes, so don't be too disappointed if none of us are on the same cocktail. I am on Cytoxan/Taxotere, I have my 3rd cycle today, yea! almost done!

Sorry you had to find us, but welcome to the strong pink warriors!

Best of Luck - Carrie

Wow, thank you to all of you for replying and for your kind words. I knew i would find like minded peeps here!

I don't know where to start so i'll start with you carrie.... so your cocktail, is that chemo? and how are you finding it? How many sessions do you have to have? I've got 6 with 1 already gone. Did you have any side effects?

I had a rough few days straight after being sick and feeling sick with pressure in my sinus areas but now i feel great 10 days in apart from a slight nausea. In fact, the suns been out here today and i've been busy planting bulbs and shrubs, cleaning out the fridge as it got quite messy with me out of action and hubby n kids raiding it lol!

I'm putting my feet up now though just in case. x
  • sparklewings

Warm welcome, sparklewings
    Doesn't matter where you live - the BC experience unites us. And we're all here to support and encourage each other.

My own surgery was also lumpectomy - almost 7 years ago now, come August. But, my chemo drugs were different than yours.

Please feel free to visit often, whenever you need or want. There's almost always someone here, since the board is open 24/7 each and every day.

Best wishes to you, as you move forward along your journey.

Kind regards, Susan

7 years ago, you must be
    7 years ago, you must be feeling great now susan. am i right in saying if it doesn't come back within the first couple of years you're on the right track or is it wishful thinking? I hope it is so for you. My mum had bc 9 years ago and is still soldering on! Have you guys changed your diet in any way, my mum did went onto soya milk and other products but all reported results don't show positive evidence either way.

My bc is oestrogen based and for me its best to stop anything that produces it hence after radiotherapy i will have my ovaries removed and will try not to eat too many products that have it in. Hopefully this will help x
  • sparklewings
    m-star said:

Hey sparklewings!
    IM FROM

Hey sparklewings!
    IM FROM ENGLAND TOO!!!!!!

I kinda flit between here and the lymphoma discussion board,as i had HL when i was 17 but the radiation they gave me for that put me high risk of BC so just had prophylactic bilaeral mastectomies in Feb.

There are no good sites like this in the UK are there!That why i felt the need to seek out people here and what an amazing bunch they all are! Love them all! Theyt have all been so supportive and given me lots of advice,virtual hugs and love!

I too love the States and it's ppl as they're so warm and friendly.Sad to say ppl in th UK just seem to want to focus on their own lives and have no interest in supporting other who need help and guidance (although im sure thats not true of all of us Brits).

Anyway.....welcome!

hi hunny, you are so right.
    hi hunny, you are so right. I went on a couple of sites and there were a couple of friendly people on there but not a lot of interaction and when i visited the states a few years back loved it and my father in law is american too and i can't wait to go back. If i could afford it i would take a complete tour around the whole country might take me a while but what a fab experience!

You've got a beautiful pic hun!

I've no idea what the 2 words before mastectomies mean but how you coping. Are you sore and are you going to have implants? I was with a lovely lady in hospital and she had a double mastectomy with implants but had them taken out again cos they were too big!

Do you have to have any other treatment?

take care x kim
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Welcome my friend!
    Love your name! As someone else said you sound like an angel! I am through with all my treatments (lumpectomy, chemo and radiation. Now on Tamoxifen for 5 yrs) and was Stage 2.

Whether we have the same diagnosis, same stage, same chemo or whatever, we are united in spirit!

Welcome, and please feel free to ask any questions you have at anytime!

I wish you well!

Patti
  • sparklewings
    Dot53 said:

Hi
    Welcome mate... I had a bilateral mastectomy but wanted to say hi anyway. My husband and our family is from England (he came to the states in the 80's).. England is a beautiful country and we love going back for visits. My in-laws are coming here to stay with us at the end of May for a three week visit and we are looking forward to spending time with them...

I hope all is going well for you with your treatments...this site is filled with lovely women who are always here to provide support and kindness...

So glad you found us..

Best,
    Dot

hi dot, thanks for your kind
    hi dot, thanks for your kind words from an x pat. How lucky are you living in the states!

Whereabouts are you and where did you come from? I live in suffolk which is a lovely place but there are so many that arn't!

My treatments so far are going better than i thought and i know i am way more lucky than some. How long ago did you have your mastectomy and what does bilateral mean i'm guessing its another word for double?

I've been overwhelmed by all the responses i've received and wish all the lovely ladies all my love for their onward journey. x
  • sparklewings
    pattimc said:

Welcome my friend!
    Love your name! As someone else said you sound like an angel! I am through with all my treatments (lumpectomy, chemo and radiation. Now on Tamoxifen for 5 yrs) and was Stage 2.

Whether we have the same diagnosis, same stage, same chemo or whatever, we are united in spirit!

Welcome, and please feel free to ask any questions you have at anytime!

I wish you well!

Patti

pattimc
    Hi patti, yeah i might sound like an angel hun but believe me i'm not lol! I totally agree with you about being together in spirit and everyone needs to know someone cares.

I'm also stage 2 and have had the same as you but apparently i'm to go on tamoxifen for 2 yrs and something else after that for a total of 5. I'm at the 2nd stage at the mo having just had my 1st round of chemo and after a rough start can see light at the end of the tunnel. All in all my treatments are due to finish sometime in oct so looking forward to a sunny hol then! x
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Sher43009 said:

Hi Sparklewings, you'll be
    Hi Sparklewings, you'll be glad you joined. I didn't have the same as you but I wanted to welcome you. I'm sure someone on here had what you had and will be posting soon.

Sher

Hi sparklewings! Just want
    Hi sparklewings! Just want to welcome you to this great site. I didn't have chemo, so, I can't be of much help to you about that. Good luck to you!
  • Dot53
    Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member

hi dot, thanks for your kind
    hi dot, thanks for your kind words from an x pat. How lucky are you living in the states!

Whereabouts are you and where did you come from? I live in suffolk which is a lovely place but there are so many that arn't!

My treatments so far are going better than i thought and i know i am way more lucky than some. How long ago did you have your mastectomy and what does bilateral mean i'm guessing its another word for double?

I've been overwhelmed by all the responses i've received and wish all the lovely ladies all my love for their onward journey. x

Hi again
    No, sorry for the miscommunication.. my hubby and his family are Brits.. I met my husband after he moved to the states.... his entire family still lives in England (Bushey, Harefield, and Hayes). My great great paternal grandparents came from England but alas I am an American and native New Yorker (WNY)..

Best,
    Dot
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member

pattimc
    Hi patti, yeah i might sound like an angel hun but believe me i'm not lol! I totally agree with you about being together in spirit and everyone needs to know someone cares.

I'm also stage 2 and have had the same as you but apparently i'm to go on tamoxifen for 2 yrs and something else after that for a total of 5. I'm at the 2nd stage at the mo having just had my 1st round of chemo and after a rough start can see light at the end of the tunnel. All in all my treatments are due to finish sometime in oct so looking forward to a sunny hol then! x

Welcome Sparklewings
    I'm in the middle of rads, didn't have chemo so I can't answer those kind of questions, but I, too, wanted to say hello and though I'm sorry there's a need to find this site, I wanted to say hey and welcome. It's so very helpful to log on and find out wow, somebody else has the same feelings or problems or joys.

Welcome and good luck to you,

Victoria
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328

pattimc

Welcome!
    Hi, Sparklewings! Welcome to the club you never wanted to join, as someone once said to me.

The staging for BC is pretty much the same all over the world, as there is an international agreement on how BC is staged and described.

The words "prophylactic bilateral" in front of mastectomy mean that person had both breasts (bilateral) removed as a preventative measure (prophylactic) so she wouldn't get breast cancer.

Other than that, many of the terms and meds are similar if not the same. Sometimes the names differ slightly due to language differences, but that shouldn't be much of a problem for a Brit. Sometimes the brand names will differ due to different pharmaceutical companies producing something under different names.

Good luck with your chemo! You can survive it--I just finished!

Sandy
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Welcome!
    Welcome, Sparklewings! I had a bilateral mastectomy instead of a lumpectomy (prophylactic on one side) and just finished my 4th of 6 rounds of chemo (Cytoxan/Taxotere) and then, I'm sure, will be moving on to radiation. Doesb't sound like the same cocktail you are getting but just wanted to welcome you and tell you that you landed in the right place. I have felt at home ever since I found this wonderful place. Good luck!

Chris
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441

Welcome!
    Hi, Sparklewings! Welcome to the club you never wanted to join, as someone once said to me.

The staging for BC is pretty much the same all over the world, as there is an international agreement on how BC is staged and described.

The words "prophylactic bilateral" in front of mastectomy mean that person had both breasts (bilateral) removed as a preventative measure (prophylactic) so she wouldn't get breast cancer.

Other than that, many of the terms and meds are similar if not the same. Sometimes the names differ slightly due to language differences, but that shouldn't be much of a problem for a Brit. Sometimes the brand names will differ due to different pharmaceutical companies producing something under different names.

Good luck with your chemo! You can survive it--I just finished!

Sandy

Hey Kim!
    yeah sorry,i had a

Hey Kim!

yeah sorry,i had a double preventative mastectomy! so no treatment as it was just a precaution as i was high risk-thankfully.

I get confused when people talk about pain killers on here as i have no idea what Tylenol or Advil is! lol we have good old Paracetamol and Ibuprofen here dont we!

I had tissue expanders put in at the same time as my mastectmy so i am in the middle of reconstruction at the mo'. Being topped up with saline to stretch my skin and pectoral muscle as the expanders lay under the muscle as opposed to just under the skin. I have had 3 fills so far and my 3rd one last weeek has been murder! My PS (plastic surgeon) will slightly over expand me then put a slighly smaller silicone gel implant in to allow for shrinkage of the skin.

Another confusing thing on here is when you ask someone where they're from and they just put VA or PA or something! lol I dont have a clue which state half of them are! you soon get used to ppl abbreviating words too like diagnosed (dx) mastectomy (mx) bilateral mastectomy (bmx <---that would be a bike to us!), breast cancer (BC) etc.

Ijust heard the 'chat' room should be back up and running soon but its on Java and i have trouble with that so may not be able to use chat anymore =(

nice to hear from you anyway.

Kay