How long after treatments were you able to go without a wig or scarf

MyTurnNow
MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
There is a discussion going about Patti finally getting to go to work without her scarf but just to get a feel, how long after treatments were the majority of you able to ditch the wig or scarf? I finished chemo on 10/15 and I'm not there yet. It's been almost 5 months and I'm just curious. I guess part of it has to do with the individual and when they are comfortable. But how many months after treatments for you?

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Never wore hats/scarves indoors
    Chemo was so difficult physically, that I was all about my own comfort and convenience as much as possible -- I did chemo in the middle of summer, it's wicked hot where I live, and I didn't want to have to fuss with head coverings any more than I had to.

So I chose to only wear hats or headwraps when I was outside, to protect myself from the sun. Indoors -- at work, church, grocery shopping, the gym, wherever -- I didn't wear anything on my head. This is Los Angeles, after all -- most people probably thought I was making some sort of political statement, or maybe a member of a cool punk band!

It was also important to me to not let myself ever feel ashamed of how I looked -- I'm very, very proud of choosing to do chemo and of making it through chemo, and I wasn't going to hide that from anybody. Please know that I don't mean to tell anyone else how to feel -- that was just a big part for me of how I felt.

I stopped wearing hats outside once my hair grew long enough that I felt like my scalp was protected enough -- probably about 2 months after my last chemo.

Traci
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    TraciInLA said:

Never wore hats/scarves indoors
    Chemo was so difficult physically, that I was all about my own comfort and convenience as much as possible -- I did chemo in the middle of summer, it's wicked hot where I live, and I didn't want to have to fuss with head coverings any more than I had to.

So I chose to only wear hats or headwraps when I was outside, to protect myself from the sun. Indoors -- at work, church, grocery shopping, the gym, wherever -- I didn't wear anything on my head. This is Los Angeles, after all -- most people probably thought I was making some sort of political statement, or maybe a member of a cool punk band!

It was also important to me to not let myself ever feel ashamed of how I looked -- I'm very, very proud of choosing to do chemo and of making it through chemo, and I wasn't going to hide that from anybody. Please know that I don't mean to tell anyone else how to feel -- that was just a big part for me of how I felt.

I stopped wearing hats outside once my hair grew long enough that I felt like my scalp was protected enough -- probably about 2 months after my last chemo.

Traci

still wearing my hats
    i finished chemo sep 17 im still wearing my hats i have some hair but not enough its cold here.

teresa
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    teresa41 said:

still wearing my hats
    i finished chemo sep 17 im still wearing my hats i have some hair but not enough its cold here.

teresa

I finished chemo on Oct. 7th
    I finished chemo on Oct. 7th and I'm still wearing my scarfs. My ears get really cold. I'll be wearing them until spring comes and it warms up. But if I get a hot flash off comes the scarf--I don't care where I am. HA!
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    teresa41 said:

still wearing my hats

teresa

I finished chemo on Oct. 7th and I'm still wearing my scarfs. My ears get really cold. I'll be wearing them until spring comes and it warms up. But if I get a hot flash off comes the scarf--I don't care where I am. HA!
  • mickeymom
    mickeymom Member Posts: 117
    Not there either
    I'm not there yet either. I've worn scarves from the very beginning - wigs weren't for me. I had my last chemo treatment on September 24th and my hair is a little over an inch long now. It's just not long enough for me to feel comfortable without my scarves yet.

I hear you about those hot flashes though. The scarf is no fun but I usually have to leave it on. I work in an elementary school and the students haven't seen me without the scarf. I'm afraid if I pulled it off during a hot flash I'd scare the little darlings half to death.
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Sher43009 said:

In Florida, but still too chilly to go without a head covering
    I'm having my LAST chemo TOMORROW!!!! YIPPEE!!! and I think I'll ditch the wig/hat/cap/scarf as soon as it's warm enough to do it. I have about 1/2 inch of white hair all over my head, but as someone else on here said, it looks like Julius Caesar the way it sticks to my head! I am anxious to get rid of the hats! I stopped wigs as soon as you could see little "whiskers" under my cap.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    mickeymom said:

Not there either
    I'm not there yet either. I've worn scarves from the very beginning - wigs weren't for me. I had my last chemo treatment on September 24th and my hair is a little over an inch long now. It's just not long enough for me to feel comfortable without my scarves yet.

I hear you about those hot flashes though. The scarf is no fun but I usually have to leave it on. I work in an elementary school and the students haven't seen me without the scarf. I'm afraid if I pulled it off during a hot flash I'd scare the little darlings half to death.

3 months
    after my last Chemo I stopped wearing everything. I feel so happy and very victorious - 1/2 inch hair was my statement. Yes, Hot flashes you want to take everything off!!!
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Scarfless
    MyTurnNow,

It sounds like we were on the same schedule. I finished chemo on 10/9 and rads on 12/23. You finished on Christmas Eve right?

My hair always has grown very fast. It's probably 1 1/2 inches now. Came in salt and pepper (I had hightlighted my hair before). I kind of like it s & p. I may not color it again...we'll see how long that lasts! Like I said before, I work with nuns and I really blend right now....all or at least 90% are salt and pepper or flat out gray! I should start wearing my glasses instead of contacts and I'll really blend into the scene!

It's all about how you feel. I wish you well.

Patti
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    pattimc said:

Scarfless
    MyTurnNow,

It sounds like we were on the same schedule. I finished chemo on 10/9 and rads on 12/23. You finished on Christmas Eve right?

My hair always has grown very fast. It's probably 1 1/2 inches now. Came in salt and pepper (I had hightlighted my hair before). I kind of like it s & p. I may not color it again...we'll see how long that lasts! Like I said before, I work with nuns and I really blend right now....all or at least 90% are salt and pepper or flat out gray! I should start wearing my glasses instead of contacts and I'll really blend into the scene!

It's all about how you feel. I wish you well.

Patti

Patti, thanks for the info.
    Patti, thanks for the info. Yes, I finished rads 12/24. I had been coloring my hair for years and always thought it grew fast, at least I had to color it every 5 weeks, but it's only about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch long. It's also very salt and pepper and I can't wait to color it. I stopped by and saw my hairdresser last week and she suggested that I give it a couple more weeks. Once I can color it, I think I'll feel more comfortable sporting around in my very short do! By the way, my hair came back in just like it always was...pin straight.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies.
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    never wore them if I could help it
    Weather permitting (or air conditioning), I never wore anything on my head, and since I live in So Calif, I drove with the top down too. My nurse would scold me saying my head would burn, but I hated wearing anything. So if my head got cold, I would wear a light knit cap, or scarf, but very rarely. Most people at my office were more used to my bald head than I, and I never felt uncomfortable. Always a choice for you and how you feel with it.
    Good luck with the new growth!
    Cat