edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
HEY,
HOW YOUSE GUYS DOIN'?

Well,I gotta tell you,I did not think this would upset me,
'cause I knew it was a possibility,
but when I took a shower this morning and washed my hair,
it came out by the handfulls!

It didn't come out like in the movies or T.V where a big clump came
out leaving a big bald spot,it just came out from all over.
I WAS FREAKED!!!!!!!!!!!!
And this is just from 2 HALF doses!!

My hair had thinned before from the folfox,
but I never really noticed it, it was so gradual,
a few hairs a day.It finally came back in to my normal thickness,
the last month or so.

But SO MUCH came out today ,if it happens again,it is going to be really noticeable,
and I may have to buzz it.
what is going to happen when I get a FULL DOSE of irinotecan?
before today I just thought ...well,it's only hair-- no big deal...NOT!!!
I know I said I would post picture if I went bald,but I'm reconsidering that.

OK, thanks for letting me vent.I feel better now. I think. Maybe.
Sorta.

kATE

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!
Washed hair this morning, only got 4 handfulls today.saturday's total was 6,but
still have towel turban wrapped around it afraid to take it off to comb hair
oh well, what ya gonna do?

Comments

• luv3jay
    luv3jay Member Posts: 533 Member
    Mine is thinning really
    Mine is thinning really badly now. I haven't shaved it, but I've started wearing wigs now full time. I thought I was going to be one of those brave ones and wear my bald head proudly, but...uhhhmmm...nope...can't do it! :-)

-Sheri
  • KATE58
    KATE58 Member Posts: 299
    luv3jay said:

Mine is thinning really
    Mine is thinning really badly now. I haven't shaved it, but I've started wearing wigs now full time. I thought I was going to be one of those brave ones and wear my bald head proudly, but...uhhhmmm...nope...can't do it! :-)

-Sheri

Yes,you think you'll wear it
    Yes,you think you'll wear it like a 'badge of honour'until it
    actually starts to fall out.I don't want to wear a wig,
    can't afford one any way,but I have several pretty scarves.
    and a couple of ski caps!

WARNING!!!

(I'm going to swear now,)
    THIS SUCKS!!
  • KATE58
    luv3jay said:

Mine is thinning really

-Sheri

WARNING!!!

THIS SUCKS!!
  • KATE58
    KATE58 said:

WARNING!!!

THIS SUCKS!!

SORRY,MY ENTER KEY STUCK!

• SandyL
    SandyL Member Posts: 218
    KATE58 said:

Sorry
    about your hair loss. But can I just say that with your pretty face-don't be too concerned about your hair loss.(easy for me to say, eh?) You have such a great smile!
    Sandy
  • karguy
    karguy Member Posts: 1,020 Member
    hair loss
    I guess it's different for a guy.When my hair started to fall out,I went to the barbers and told him to just cut it all off,and then I wore a baseball cap.My hair has all grown back,but I still wear a baseball cap alot of the time.
  • KATE58
    SandyL said:

Sorry
    about your hair loss. But can I just say that with your pretty face-don't be too concerned about your hair loss.(easy for me to say, eh?) You have such a great smile!
    Sandy

Thanks! That's really sweet
    Thanks! That's really sweet of you to say.
  • khl8
    khl8 Member Posts: 807
    KATE58 said:

Thanks! That's really sweet
    Thanks! That's really sweet of you to say.

I agree
    You do have a pretty face! I feel for you, when I first found out I had cancer, the first thing I thought was " I don't want to lose my hair".
    Does your local ACS have a wig bank? Someone toldme that some do, where you can get t wig if you need one.
    kathy
  • Steve Z
    Steve Z Member Posts: 51
    Different for Guys
    I shaved my head Tuesday. Different reason, the cold made me wear a knit hat every day, then I looked like I just rolled out of bed all day at work. Every time I round a corner now and see myself in the mirror, I'm not sure who the guy is looking back.

My onc's office has a supply scarf's and hats that previous female patients have donated. By the way I think I saw in a previous string that you live in Lancaster, I'm in Pottstown, and work in Paoli. Enjoy the snow tomorrow. Hang in there, I'm sure you look great.
  • lcarper2
    lcarper2 Member Posts: 635 Member
    hair gone
    I am on xeloda and ocn said mine wouldn't fall out WRONG it did and very depressing so I went to a salon and had it buzzed and cried like a baby but now put on a very good looking wig and may not ever do real hair again LOL my hair is growing back and looks thicker and grayer LOL remember it is only hair I would rather be alive and bald than dead with hair LOL good luck
  • bdee
    bdee Member Posts: 304
    Hair
    Mine came out like yours, all at one time after just one treatment. So my family got together and we had a hair cutting party. I shaved my husbands, he shaved mine, my son's wife shaved his then my son shaved my daughter's. Then we all went outside and had pictures taken so the whole neighborhood could see. I was so proud of my family for standing beside me. That was back in March and all of their hair has grown back so much that all three have had to have haircuts. Mine is starting to grow back since I'm off oxy. But it is really gray and curly. I've never had curly hair. My husband likes it. I just tolerate it.

Good luck,
    Debbie in Arkansas
  • KATE58
    Steve Z said:

Different for Guys
    I shaved my head Tuesday. Different reason, the cold made me wear a knit hat every day, then I looked like I just rolled out of bed all day at work. Every time I round a corner now and see myself in the mirror, I'm not sure who the guy is looking back.

My onc's office has a supply scarf's and hats that previous female patients have donated. By the way I think I saw in a previous string that you live in Lancaster, I'm in Pottstown, and work in Paoli. Enjoy the snow tomorrow. Hang in there, I'm sure you look great.

Actually,I said I live near
    Actually,I said I live near Lancaster
    I actually live in Pottstown.
    near the Hill School.
  • Steve Z
    Steve Z Member Posts: 51
    KATE58 said:

Actually,I said I live near
    Actually,I said I live near Lancaster
    I actually live in Pottstown.
    near the Hill School.

R U Kidding
    I'm 2 miles south of the coventry mall. One of our favarite take-out places is Angelina's. We should get together.
  • claud1951
    claud1951 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Kate,
    I'm sorry you are

Kate,
    I'm sorry you are having a hard time adjusting to hair loss. Just wanted you to know that ACS gives free wigs. Also, they have great event called Look Good/Feel Better, Call and find out when ACS will have one in your area. All kinds of make up and scarves, etc.

I would love to send you some scarves that I have. I never did wear them because I didn't look that good in scarves.

There are also some really cute hates that some hospitals have that are from ACS. You pay for them then turn that into ACS and it is refunded to you.

If you want to PM me and give me your address, I'd love to send these scarves to you. They have been in my drawer just waiting for someone to use!

I'll post my pictures (of my hair loss if you post yours!!!) Ha gotcha>>>Grin>>>
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    claud1951 said:

Kate,
    I'm sorry you are

Kate,
    I'm sorry you are having a hard time adjusting to hair loss. Just wanted you to know that ACS gives free wigs. Also, they have great event called Look Good/Feel Better, Call and find out when ACS will have one in your area. All kinds of make up and scarves, etc.

I would love to send you some scarves that I have. I never did wear them because I didn't look that good in scarves.

There are also some really cute hates that some hospitals have that are from ACS. You pay for them then turn that into ACS and it is refunded to you.

If you want to PM me and give me your address, I'd love to send these scarves to you. They have been in my drawer just waiting for someone to use!

I'll post my pictures (of my hair loss if you post yours!!!) Ha gotcha>>>Grin>>>

Kate....
    I wouldn't shave yet! it may look like you're going to lose it all, but it will stop after a couple treatments. My onc said I wouldn't lose my hair, and I didn't, I lost alot, but by the 6th treatment, it stopped, I'm not sure what a half dose to a full dose of chemo is, but I swear I thought I was going to go bald. I also would cry in the shower as I held that huge clump of hair, and that's ok! it is startling to see at first, but then you get used to it, and it does stop, though I read that it did make someone here lose their hair, you never know, I just bought cute hats from Claire's and Icicle, and also Hot Topic, and they look very fashionable. My kids love them! My girls don't like the cancer patient/scarf look, they would rather see me with strands of hair hanging from my bald head, or a hat on then me walk around totally bald, or with a scarf on, though I like the look of the scarf, I just didn't want to scare my kids lol...I pretty much left alot for them to join in my decisions as well, since I figured they need to learn to cope with this as well, and if this would be better with them coping with it.

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • JDuke
    JDuke Member Posts: 438
    Shayenne said:

Kate....
    I wouldn't shave yet! it may look like you're going to lose it all, but it will stop after a couple treatments. My onc said I wouldn't lose my hair, and I didn't, I lost alot, but by the 6th treatment, it stopped, I'm not sure what a half dose to a full dose of chemo is, but I swear I thought I was going to go bald. I also would cry in the shower as I held that huge clump of hair, and that's ok! it is startling to see at first, but then you get used to it, and it does stop, though I read that it did make someone here lose their hair, you never know, I just bought cute hats from Claire's and Icicle, and also Hot Topic, and they look very fashionable. My kids love them! My girls don't like the cancer patient/scarf look, they would rather see me with strands of hair hanging from my bald head, or a hat on then me walk around totally bald, or with a scarf on, though I like the look of the scarf, I just didn't want to scare my kids lol...I pretty much left alot for them to join in my decisions as well, since I figured they need to learn to cope with this as well, and if this would be better with them coping with it.

Hugsss!
    ~Donna

Kate
    I agree with Donna, don't shave it just yet. Maybe it will just get thin. That's what mine did (5FU/Mitomyicin C), it was freaky at first and I did get it cut SHORT. First time since the 5th grade. You are a lovely woman and will be with or without hair. Keep smiling my dear, and no one will notice your hair :)
    Blessings,
    Joanne
  • KATE58
    Shayenne said:

Kate....

Hugsss!
    ~Donna

I don't really like wigs,I
    I don't really like wigs,I find them hot and uncomfortable.
    I have about 6 or 7 scarves in different colours,
    that I already had
    and I bought a couple colourful knit hats today.
    My doctor told me that I probably WOULD lose my hair.
    Right now if you didn't know me, you probably would not notice,
    but my friends are going to say "what's up with your hair"??!!
    as soon as they see me.(they won't be mean,they love me)
    If the same amount comes out next time I wash it ,I think it will be too
    thin to go bareheaded.
    as the day goes on I am becoming more accepting of it.
    I'll just have to wait and see.
    I'll keep you updated,I wash my hair every other day,
    but I feel like a cat today with the shedding !!
    :-(

kATE

SteveZ,
    Are you near Lowe's and Cold Stone?
  • andicat
    andicat Member Posts: 10
    KATE58 said:

that I already had
    thin to go bareheaded.

kATE

SteveZ,

My hair got thinner - I even
    My hair got thinner - I even bought a wig, but I haven't used it because my hair didn't get so thin to need a wig. I hope I won't have to use it. I've got 2 more weeks of chemo to go so I'll be ok. But my eyelashes fell out and they are next to nothing. I sure hope they come back.
    Christine
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    You'll be lovely
    Kate,

I'm sorry about your hair. I know I'd be a complete baby about that. But you're going to be beautiful in your fancy scarves and hats. Just keep that lovely smile shining!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    KATE58 said:

that I already had
    thin to go bareheaded.

kATE

SteveZ,

Wigs..
    I lost my hair also. I was told it would thin, but it just all came out on top and sides and 90% on the back. My daughter buzzed it off for me. I cannot wear wigs either - too hot, itchy and just plain uncomfortable. A dear friend hand painted silk scarves for me and I bought a couple of cute chemo caps. Then daughter and her friends started knitting me caps out of silk/alpaca yarn. they are sooo soft and comfy.

BTW - I, too thought I could handle it, but I cried when I looked in the mirror and saw my Dad looking back! Daughter cried also, then we hit the wine and it was all better. My hair came back quickly, though. Strange, but I am a redhead and it came in almost black! It has since lightened a bit, but my wonderful hair stylist made it red again!

Take care...and remember. Your hair does not define YOU.

Vicki