Tamoxifin

Comments

• MCJ
    MCJ Member Posts: 59
    throw this in the mix
    my wife was estrogen positive, she was set to take tamoxin for the five year stretch after chemo times 4, one day at a time, she took the oncotype test, we pushed for it our oncolgyst said it was not needed but he gave in, it came back reading estrogen negative, she is now triple neg and being treated with stronger chemo, she would have taken tamxin for not, not to mention would not have been treated with the right drugs, something else to think about
  • pgrace35
    pgrace35 Member Posts: 122

No, my onco did not insist
    No, my onco did not insist on it for me. How could he? It isn't his body or his life here. He suggested it as the "standard" treatment after a lumpectomy, rads and for ER and PR + bc patients. He did downplay the se's, quoting the stats on the blood clots, uterine cancer, eye problems and so on and so on. But, I think even he thought for 2%, it wasn't worth the risks. He didn't say that, but, he kind of talked all around it that way.

The "standard" treatment scares me...so if you really did not need this they would put you on it anyway? Once again survivor, it's a relief to me that there are some oncologists out there that think this way..thanks for your reply!
  • pgrace35
    MCJ said:

throw this in the mix
    my wife was estrogen positive, she was set to take tamoxin for the five year stretch after chemo times 4, one day at a time, she took the oncotype test, we pushed for it our oncolgyst said it was not needed but he gave in, it came back reading estrogen negative, she is now triple neg and being treated with stronger chemo, she would have taken tamxin for not, not to mention would not have been treated with the right drugs, something else to think about

Thanks MCJ
    Your wife's circumstances are identical to mine. Never thought of taking the oncotype test. I will ask about that at my next meeting with my oncologist. Probably will need to do that test to make sure the alternative route I'm taking is doing it's job. Thanks for your info MCJ!
  • Kathy09
    Kathy09 Member Posts: 99
    I will be finishing my rads in Jan. I am also starting to do more research. My onc has mentioned the tamoxofin the rads doctor mentioned hercepton, I have been doing research on a Vitamin B17 or Laetrile. Have been reading some interesting stuff that actually makes sense I just saw an hour long segment on it on utube. I agree nothing is 100% we need to do what we feel is in our own best interest.
  • pgrace35
    OOPS
    Didn't realize I was misspelling this drugs name...
  • pgrace35
    Kathy09 said:

I will be finishing my rads in Jan. I am also starting to do more research. My onc has mentioned the tamoxofin the rads doctor mentioned hercepton, I have been doing research on a Vitamin B17 or Laetrile. Have been reading some interesting stuff that actually makes sense I just saw an hour long segment on it on utube. I agree nothing is 100% we need to do what we feel is in our own best interest.

Absolutely
    I have been taking since my 3rd chemo treatment Flax Hull Lignans. It blocks estrogen receptors, builds immune system and is good for the heart. I have the website in my responses on this page if your interested. I'm going to do some research on the B17 you mentioned. The more information we have the better it is for all of us to prevent the awful disease from returning. Thanks Kathy!!! Have a great day!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    pgrace35 said:

The "standard" treatment scares me...so if you really did not need this they would put you on it anyway? Once again survivor, it's a relief to me that there are some oncologists out there that think this way..thanks for your reply!

Pgrace
    Have you had the CYP2D6 test to even see if you are a metabolizer of tamoxifen? Ask your oncologist for it if he hasn't done it yet. It is a simple cheek swab. I don't think all oncologists do this. They just give you the prescription and that's it. But, everyone doesn't metabolize tamox and therefore are wasting their time taking it.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    pgrace35 said:

OOPS
    Didn't realize I was misspelling this drugs name...

OMG you misspelled words on here! How dare you! lol
    This is all so interesting! I, like some of the others, am still undecided. Thanks for this thread pgrace!

♠♣ Christmas Susie ♠♣
  • pgrace35

Pgrace
    Have you had the CYP2D6 test to even see if you are a metabolizer of tamoxifen? Ask your oncologist for it if he hasn't done it yet. It is a simple cheek swab. I don't think all oncologists do this. They just give you the prescription and that's it. But, everyone doesn't metabolize tamox and therefore are wasting their time taking it.

CYP2d6
    What is a metabolizer? And no I haven't had one of those yet. Will write that one down for my next visit.
  • pgrace35

Pgrace

CYP2d6
    What is a metabolizer? And no I haven't had one of those yet. Will write that one down for my next visit.
  • survivorbc09
    pgrace35 said:

CYP2d6

Hope this helps to explain it Pgrace :)
    Tamoxifen needs to be converted to Endoxifen in order to be effective and the enzyme responsible for this conversion is created by the cyp2D6 isoform. Cyp2D6 is responsible for the metabolism of ~25% of pharmaceuticals. There are many cyp's, but 2D6 is commonly known as the primary isoform to metabolize Tamoxifen. The numbers may vary depending on where you look but about 7-10% of the population is a poor metabolizer which means they will gain little benefit from drugs metabolized by cyp2D6.

So in basic laymen terms, if you aren't a good metabolizer for tamox, it won't do you any good, it won't work for you. There are other alternatives if one is interested if you don't metabolize tamox, if you want to take other drugs. Hope this helped.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    susie09 said:

OMG you misspelled words on here! How dare you! lol
    This is all so interesting! I, like some of the others, am still undecided. Thanks for this thread pgrace!

♠♣ Christmas Susie ♠♣

Fence sitter too
    Yes, I confess, I am. I haven't even filled the prescription.

Angie
  • pgrace35

Hope this helps to explain it Pgrace :)
    Tamoxifen needs to be converted to Endoxifen in order to be effective and the enzyme responsible for this conversion is created by the cyp2D6 isoform. Cyp2D6 is responsible for the metabolism of ~25% of pharmaceuticals. There are many cyp's, but 2D6 is commonly known as the primary isoform to metabolize Tamoxifen. The numbers may vary depending on where you look but about 7-10% of the population is a poor metabolizer which means they will gain little benefit from drugs metabolized by cyp2D6.

So in basic laymen terms, if you aren't a good metabolizer for tamox, it won't do you any good, it won't work for you. There are other alternatives if one is interested if you don't metabolize tamox, if you want to take other drugs. Hope this helped.

Wow
    You should be a chemist!! It makes perfect sense. So my next question is, how come all patients are not tested for this in the first place to even see if would be effective. My oncologists never mentioned this test ever.
  • survivorbc09
    pgrace35 said:

Wow
    You should be a chemist!! It makes perfect sense. So my next question is, how come all patients are not tested for this in the first place to even see if would be effective. My oncologists never mentioned this test ever.

I don't know. Why don't all
    I don't know. Why don't all oncologist's give their patients the Oncotype DX test? A lot still don't. Maybe because they want every bc survivor on tamox, who knows.
  • marywest
    marywest Member Posts: 132
    can you pass on the information?
    I feel the same way you do. I have not filled my prescription for it, its almost a month old. Have you learned what you can take from the homepathic remedies that would help as far as blocking estrogen? I am thristing for knowledge on this. Being out of radiation for 7 months now, I am so hesitant to put something in my body that is not natural. I probably got cancer from toxins in food or whatever. I am so intersted in what you have learned, if you dont' mind passing that on to me. I took Arimidex and after 2 weeks I quit it because it caused such joint pain. I imagine tamoxin would do the same thing. I do not want to discourage anyone on taking these drugs at all. But I am with you 100% on this. I do hope you can share what you do know. mary
  • marywest
    marywest said:

I feel the same way you do. I have not filled my prescription for it, its almost a month old. Have you learned what you can take from the homepathic remedies that would help as far as blocking estrogen? I am thristing for knowledge on this. Being out of radiation for 7 months now, I am so hesitant to put something in my body that is not natural. I probably got cancer from toxins in food or whatever. I am so intersted in what you have learned, if you dont' mind passing that on to me. I took Arimidex and after 2 weeks I quit it because it caused such joint pain. I imagine tamoxin would do the same thing. I do not want to discourage anyone on taking these drugs at all. But I am with you 100% on this. I do hope you can share what you do know. mary

One more post
    I would so love to see that stats of women who have taken it and how many had cancer return. Does anyone know where to look for that????????
  • marywest
    marywest said:

One more post
    I would so love to see that stats of women who have taken it and how many had cancer return. Does anyone know where to look for that????????
  • marywest
    marywest said:

One more post
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    My cancer was hormone
    My cancer was hormone receptor positive so the tamoxifen actually lowers my risk of recurrence more than my chemo treatments. Almost 50%. I figured I'd be crazy not to take it.
  • survivorbc09
    Eil4186 said:

My cancer was hormone
    My cancer was hormone receptor positive so the tamoxifen actually lowers my risk of recurrence more than my chemo treatments. Almost 50%. I figured I'd be crazy not to take it.

My oncologist did the stats
    My oncologist did the stats test for me to determine chance of recurrence with my type of cancer, grade, stage, treatment and so on. My chance of recurrence, according to that, was 4%. That 50% stat comes in then. Meaning that 50% of 4 is 2%. That is the way they figure it.