Any suggestions for childcare???

Momof_4
Momof_4 Member Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am preparing to have a mastectomy and immediate reconstruction. However, I am more stressed about what to do with my kids than anything else right now. Their Dad (my ex)will not take them for the time I will be away - I will be traveling about 3 hours away to a plastic surgeon for a DIEP free flap reconstruction. I will be staying with my stepmother who will help care for me, and they live about 1 hour away, but I'm trying to figure out who can care for my children...I don't know what I'm going to do...My best friend just had her husband leave her and her toddler and she is in a deep depression and trying to figure out lawyers and paying bills, etc. , but I am thinking to ask her to take care of my youngest, who is 5 years old...but my 13 and 14 years olds...who can help me???

Comments

• Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    I'm so sorry!
    Dear momof_4,

I'm so sorry that you're going through all of this. I don't have any answers ... just suggestions. Is your five year old in school? If not, could he/she stay with your stepmom while you're recovering? Do you have any other relatives? Friends? If you attend a church or anything like that ... there could be some help there.

Is there anyway that your stepmother could come down and stay with you, instead of you going up and spending time with her? That way you all could be together?

Someone else will probably have better suggestions, but know that I'm sorry that you're having to deal with all of this.

big hug,
    dh
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Hi Momof_4
    What a tough situation. I would suggest calling your local chapter of the American Cancer Society. They may be able to provide either suggestions or volunteers to help you out. I wish you good luck with your problem and your surgery.

Roseann
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    roseann4 said:

Hi Momof_4
    What a tough situation. I would suggest calling your local chapter of the American Cancer Society. They may be able to provide either suggestions or volunteers to help you out. I wish you good luck with your problem and your surgery.

Roseann

If you are really stuck..........
    Send them here.............I mean it! They will be safe, educated, well fed and loved.....
    I am sorry to sound flip, but I am offering a practical solution..........We are in Canada, just over the Border...From one sister to another, consider it. I wish you well and don't want you to be in despair about your kids, which you obviously love a great deal. Your Ex must be a totally unfeeling Brute!.........

PS........I am not a devil worshipper or a child sacrifice advocate, I just can't see Kids left out there alone........

Hugs JuliaX
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    tasha_111 said:

If you are really stuck..........
    Send them here.............I mean it! They will be safe, educated, well fed and loved.....
    I am sorry to sound flip, but I am offering a practical solution..........We are in Canada, just over the Border...From one sister to another, consider it. I wish you well and don't want you to be in despair about your kids, which you obviously love a great deal. Your Ex must be a totally unfeeling Brute!.........

PS........I am not a devil worshipper or a child sacrifice advocate, I just can't see Kids left out there alone........

Hugs JuliaX

I hope you find a solution....
    And Tasha....what a loving gesture! I have no doubt they would be great with you! Your kindness is such an admiring quality! I think everyones suggestions were wonderful. Sorry I can not add anything more. I hope you are able to find a solution. Keep us posted. Pammy
  • Momof_4
    Momof_4 Member Posts: 11
    roseann4 said:

Hi Momof_4

Roseann

thanks
    I'm still calling around for options. I did call ACS and they gave me some numbers for childcare options in my area, and I'll call them this week. I'm trying to find a professional nanny that can come for about 3 weeks.
    Thanks for the support, it helps to be able to talk about it...Momof_4.