How to cope witrh hair loss

13»

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Cat64 said:

Angel Nurse
    I did it! I took my first baby step! Now it's your turn! I went today and had my hair chopped to right above my collar! It took all the red from the sun out, it's back to being a darker brown, it's sooo much lighter! She even told me I looked younger! (how sweet but doubtful!)She said they could probably make 2 wigs so that's even better! It feels good. I expected to be saddened by the loss, however it's just the opposite! So, for now I'll just enjoy my new doo while it lasts! Keep me posted on your progress.
    Hugz,
    Cathy

hair loss
    Was advised to buzz hair prior to falling out. When I noticed yes first lower part -started coming outI knew I would not be the one in million who would not lose it.(lol) anyway went to a salon that takes you to a private room, and does your wig,prior to chemo then you come back when you are ready to buzz it. I wanted to advoid the whole coming out process and preferred someone I did not know although she was awesome. I though I would cry but did not, but feel a little bit low with the adjustment. I think my thing is letting go of the control of who knows who doesnt. Something I will have to deal with. Now the little buzzy spikes are coming out and I am glad I did it this way. Everyone is so different just how they handle life . that I think it is important to do what speaks to you and to honor that.
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    carkris said:

hair loss
    Was advised to buzz hair prior to falling out. When I noticed yes first lower part -started coming outI knew I would not be the one in million who would not lose it.(lol) anyway went to a salon that takes you to a private room, and does your wig,prior to chemo then you come back when you are ready to buzz it. I wanted to advoid the whole coming out process and preferred someone I did not know although she was awesome. I though I would cry but did not, but feel a little bit low with the adjustment. I think my thing is letting go of the control of who knows who doesnt. Something I will have to deal with. Now the little buzzy spikes are coming out and I am glad I did it this way. Everyone is so different just how they handle life . that I think it is important to do what speaks to you and to honor that.

Bald
    I lost all the hair on my body except my eyebrows and eyelashes. Wierd huh? When my hair started growing back, my eyebrows got so thick that I had a unibrow, which was very quickly taken care of at the Nail Spa! My hair is growing back and it while it seems to be the same texture it was previously, it is very wavy. I was bald all winter, and lived in felt hats, scarves, wigs, not because it looked better than bald, but for the sheer warmth. And on top of that - the heater in my car doesn't work. I didn't mind so much being bald, but I could just not keep warm. I always felt cold. My oncologist would give me a heating blanket when I'd go in for chemo, and the chair had a heater in it also. So I guess its true that we lose heat from our bodies through our heads!
    Pat
  • Angel Nurse, I too had hair
    Angel Nurse, I too had hair which reached to my waist. My doctor said "you WILL lose all your hair by tomorrow". I thought he was kidding..surely enough he wasn't & It did. combing out my hair was the most depressing thing ever. I couldn't handle it anymore and began to cry uncontrollably, my daughter called my family for help. After they all calmed me down, my brother in law grabbed his electric shaver & said "where do you want me to start?"..well I did it, I had him buzz me bald and you know what..I accepted my head being bald then having it fall off!! It made me calmer and I began to accept that it was better off sooner than later! what I did was braided my hair, tied it and had my sister snip it off and kept it as a remembrance. sweetie, your hair will grow back. a fellow patient at the clinic I was going to said to me "its like a give and take, you give your hair up to take the cancer out".. now my hair grew back..totally opposite of the straight long hair I had. I am now a beautiful curly hair woman!! (smile). Good luck & God bless!!
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator