How to cope witrh hair loss

Angel Nurse
Angel Nurse Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had my first TCH chemo treatment 14 days ago. I had been told that I would lose my hair. I was not sure when this would happen. I have been emotional all day, because my hair seems to be shedding constantly. I can just run my fingers thru is and it just keeps coming out. Will this continue till it is all gone, or will be gradully stop. I have long hair, used to be super thick. I am wondering if I should cut it real short, or will that be a waste of time if it is all going to come out soon. I am feeling very vunerable and ashamed that I put so much worry and thought in something like hair. It is just hard to let go of something that has been your pride and glory for so long.
Angel Nurse

Comments

• cynthiat56
    cynthiat56 Member Posts: 11
    Hair loss
    I am so sorry to hear that you are going through chemo, but here is how I handled my hair loss. When the onocologist told me that I would lose my hair, I took my beautician to the American Cancer Society office to look for a wig that would complement my feature. About 2 to three weeks after my first chemo I had to cut off all my hair so that I would not have the trama of seeing my hair go down the drain or on my pillow. Once I did that I proudly wore my "new" hair.
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Don't you
    dare feel ashamed-losing hair wasn't a blast for any of us who had to!I didn't have nice hair before,so after a few tears and a good shave from my hubby,I was okay and even started to not mind it after the initial shock!Every one is different-some lose all of their hair and others just some.
    You may not believe it now,but in a lot of ways I personally was happy to not have any-no shaving of legs and arm pits,and no having to mess with my hair!
    A lot of us on here when it starts to fall out just have someone shave the rest off-that way you feel like you have some control over it and it's not shedding all of the time.When I knew that mine was going to come out,I started testing it everyday(just lightly pulling). Then the one morning when it started coming out effortlessly I called my husband at work and asked if he would shave it that night-he gave me a nice little spa treatment!
    But yes,I'm sure if I had nicer hair before,it would have been harder for me!
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member

Don't you
    dare feel ashamed-losing hair wasn't a blast for any of us who had to!I didn't have nice hair before,so after a few tears and a good shave from my hubby,I was okay and even started to not mind it after the initial shock!Every one is different-some lose all of their hair and others just some.
    You may not believe it now,but in a lot of ways I personally was happy to not have any-no shaving of legs and arm pits,and no having to mess with my hair!
    A lot of us on here when it starts to fall out just have someone shave the rest off-that way you feel like you have some control over it and it's not shedding all of the time.When I knew that mine was going to come out,I started testing it everyday(just lightly pulling). Then the one morning when it started coming out effortlessly I called my husband at work and asked if he would shave it that night-he gave me a nice little spa treatment!
    But yes,I'm sure if I had nicer hair before,it would have been harder for me!

OK, I am curious, do you
    OK, I am curious, do you loose your pubic hair also?
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    lanie940 said:

OK, I am curious, do you

Lanie
    Yes, I did most of mine. Sometimes I feel like a new born babe!! LOL
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    I'm sorry :-(
    The thought of losing my hair was tough for me at first too. I had a goal to grow my hair down to my butt so that I could donate it to Locks of Love. (once being a victim of Alopecia) This was before I even knew of the cancer. Even though I'm about 2 inches shy, I figure I'm still going to do it! I'll just go with the short cut until I see it falling out, then I'll let my Hubby have the fun of buzzing it off! He says he's going to shave his too! It will grow back! I find myself more upset about the eyebrows & eyelashes...I know it's hard letting go! It's only temporary!
    Take care
    Cathy
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    lanie940 said:

OK, I am curious, do you

My Oncologist Says
    You can lose ALL your hair! WooHoo! No shaving for a while!
  • outdoorgirl
    lanie940 said:

OK, I am curious, do you

lanie
    that was the first to go for me!
  • try to keep a sense of humor-even though it's hard...
    When I found out that I was going to lose my hair I went and got it cut really short.I thought that it wouldn't be so dramatic when it started to fall out (especially for my kids). My girlfriend had a "hat party" to honor me and my friends brought hats and also something for me to put into my chemo bag (chapstick, books, lotion, CD's etc) When my hair started falling out I went to my hairdresser with my favorite hat in hand and had her shave it off. I felt so prepared.
    Also, I went to a t-shirt website and bought a cool t-shirt that says " Bald is part of my cure" There are also some funny ones that say "hairstyle compliments of my oncologist!" People who aren't sure what to say (like in the grocery store) would always laugh and say they like my shirt!!
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member

lanie
    that was the first to go for me!

You too?
    That started falling out days before the hair on my head did....My oncologist said he hadn't heard of that before, so it's good to know that a certain rather sensitive area of my body isn't just WEIRD! :-)
  • Angel Nurse
    Angel Nurse Member Posts: 7

Hair loss
    I am so sorry to hear that you are going through chemo, but here is how I handled my hair loss. When the onocologist told me that I would lose my hair, I took my beautician to the American Cancer Society office to look for a wig that would complement my feature. About 2 to three weeks after my first chemo I had to cut off all my hair so that I would not have the trama of seeing my hair go down the drain or on my pillow. Once I did that I proudly wore my "new" hair.

hair loss
    Thank you for your kind support and helpful information. I will try to get an appointment soon for a hair cut. I have bought several wigs (on EBAY) so at least I will have some control over the situation.
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Angel
    I am so sorry about your hair...that was a tough week for me too and my hair was thin and short.. for me it wasnt so much about losing the hair as much as it was not being able to deny the cancer any longer.

Hang in there. You will probably be down for a while. I think if it were me I would cut it shorter so that the shock would be less.

Hugs
    LInda T
  • TraciInLA
    mlmjt1 said:

Hi Angel
    I am so sorry about your hair...that was a tough week for me too and my hair was thin and short.. for me it wasnt so much about losing the hair as much as it was not being able to deny the cancer any longer.

Hang in there. You will probably be down for a while. I think if it were me I would cut it shorter so that the shock would be less.

Hugs
    LInda T

Angel,
    Don't be ashamed of how you feel -- this is a tough part of chemo for all of us.

I second everyone who has said that taking control of the situation helps immensely -- you're about to *look* like a cancer patient, but you don't have to *act* like one!

My girlfriend has a set of clippers that she uses to cut her little boy's hair, so I chose to do it in two steps: When I got to the stage you're at now, where it was coming out in handfuls, we took it down to a "3" setting on the clippers, which I thought would be enough. Two days later, when I was now finding hair in my food every time I ate, I said enough is enough, and took it down to a "0."

And, I second countrypharmgirl, that we have to try to keep a sense of humor about it when we can -- I try to remember that it's only hair, it'll grow back, and I'm saving a FORTUNE on shampoo, hair care products, and the fabulously expensive highlights that you should all be admiring in my picture to the left! :-)

I'm planning on buying the t-shirt on CafePress that says "I PAY MY ONCOLOGIST BIG BUCKS FOR THIS HAIRSTYLE"!

Traci
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    mlmjt1 said:

Hi Angel

Hugs
    LInda T

hair
    I was on weekly taxol/herceptin for 12 weeks and the oncologist told me my hair would "thin." To me that mean a few hairs here and few hairs there. HA! 15 days after my first treatment I ran my hand through my hair and ended up with a hand ful of hair. It was "thinning" alright ... but it was a hunk here and hunk there. I called a friend who had clippers and told her I was on my way over. I grabbed my the little denim hat I'd ordered from "tlc" ... and my had my friend shave my head. For some reason it was never a big deal to me. But ... what was bothersome was my eyes. They really itched and I even stopped wearing makeup because it was smearing all over the place when I'd rub my eyes. So ... I hadn't looked in a mirror ... up close ... for awhile. One day I did ... and realized why my eyes were so itchy. My eyelashes were coming out. Other eyelashes were coming in ... but the old ones were coming out. Very itchy! Anyway ... my chemo is over and I finished radiation a month ago ... and the hair is slowly coming back. I have very fine "baby hair" coming in on my head ... and my eyelashes are getting a bit longer. I just kept telling myself that it's all part of the process.

You'll do fine. It's only hair ... and it will grow back.

hugs.
    teena
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Angel nurse
    Hi,i am sorry you are losing your hair.I am right behind you.I start Chemo in two weeks.my dr. told me i would loss my hair by the second Chemo treatment.I had cryed so many tears over it and i will probly cry more when it happens.but I have been scared about how shocking it will be.But i made up my mind this is part of the healing process.I have an appointment this Friday to get it cut short.like a spike hair cut,so when it comes out hopefully it won,t be as shocking this way.you will be through that by the time I am their.Good Luck to you.I will pray for you.God bless(Pat)
  • BeachIt
    BeachIt Member Posts: 17

try to keep a sense of humor-even though it's hard...
    When I found out that I was going to lose my hair I went and got it cut really short.I thought that it wouldn't be so dramatic when it started to fall out (especially for my kids). My girlfriend had a "hat party" to honor me and my friends brought hats and also something for me to put into my chemo bag (chapstick, books, lotion, CD's etc) When my hair started falling out I went to my hairdresser with my favorite hat in hand and had her shave it off. I felt so prepared.
    Also, I went to a t-shirt website and bought a cool t-shirt that says " Bald is part of my cure" There are also some funny ones that say "hairstyle compliments of my oncologist!" People who aren't sure what to say (like in the grocery store) would always laugh and say they like my shirt!!

t-shirt website
    I was wondering what the website is that you got those t-shirts from. I will be starting chemo in October and would like to order one. Thanks.

Sheryl
  • outdoorgirl
    TraciInLA said:

You too?
    That started falling out days before the hair on my head did....My oncologist said he hadn't heard of that before, so it's good to know that a certain rather sensitive area of my body isn't just WEIRD! :-)

You're kidding
    your onc hadn't heard of that?!
    Yeah,I thought it was pretty strange when it happened to me.
    How's it going,Traci?
  • TraciInLA
    BeachIt said:

t-shirt website
    I was wondering what the website is that you got those t-shirts from. I will be starting chemo in October and would like to order one. Thanks.

Sheryl

CafePress
    Hi, Sheryl -

Not sure which website countrypharmgirl likes (I'm sure she'll see your question soon and let you know), but I get mine from cafepress.com. If you search on "breast cancer" and/or "chemo," you'll see literally hundreds of choices.

Traci
  • TraciInLA

You're kidding
    your onc hadn't heard of that?!
    Yeah,I thought it was pretty strange when it happened to me.
    How's it going,Traci?

Too young to be demure...
    Hey, outdoorgirl -

From what I can tell from the waiting room and chemo room, I think I'm one of my oncologist's youngest patients -- by far -- so maybe older women are a little more demure than I am in discussing their more private parts? Me, hell -- I put it on my side effects log that I make him read every time I see him!

Halfway through chemo -- and I STILL have to shave my legs! Is there NO justice in this world?!?

Traci
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    ppurdin said:

Angel nurse
    Hi,i am sorry you are losing your hair.I am right behind you.I start Chemo in two weeks.my dr. told me i would loss my hair by the second Chemo treatment.I had cryed so many tears over it and i will probly cry more when it happens.but I have been scared about how shocking it will be.But i made up my mind this is part of the healing process.I have an appointment this Friday to get it cut short.like a spike hair cut,so when it comes out hopefully it won,t be as shocking this way.you will be through that by the time I am their.Good Luck to you.I will pray for you.God bless(Pat)

Angel Nurse .. From what I've been told, read, and spoken to
    several chemo breast cancer sisters in PINK, 14 to 16 days after your first chemo cocktail, hair start to fall out - Everywhere. My story is very much like TraciinLA and countrypharmgirl .. I took the bull by the horns, put my hair in a pony and snipped snipped away. I donated my pony to the american cancer society to be used. My family and friends were shocked .. I've never had such a short cut - I truly felt liberated. 2 days later, my son's girlfriend came by to even out my locks.. there went another few inches. Talk about a short hair cut, my family are in shock .. as I explained to them .. enjoy the shorty do, as there will be no hair on mom's scalp in 3 weeks. Had my first chemo cocktail today, so I am preparing for total hair lost by the 25th of September.

I have purchased too many to count .. hats, scarves and beenies. I will wear them with pride along with my pink ribbon earrings. I even had 2 3/4 long sleeve t-shits made up to wear to the grocery store, target or walmart .. wording " I am fighting breast cancer " ask me how you can help .. American Cancer Society .. 1-888 xxx you get the picture. Once I am dancing with NED, I will donate all my hats etc to the ACS. What a terrific organization. My son Andrew will be particpating in the Susan G Koomen race for breast cancer, and well as the breast cancer walk. I will be there proudly bald scalp and all.

Best of luck .. with any decisions you make about cutting your hair. It is a part of our personality and everyday life. Why the hair ... I could almost trade losing my hair for gaining 40 lbs.. Believe me when I say ... the weight thing is not a good thing for me. But I would consider this trade.

Courage and strength for you Angel Nurse,

VickiSam
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    It'll grow back! When I was
    It'll grow back! When I was diagnosed, my hair was about 3 inches above my waist. I cut it into a gypsy shag (an old style from the 70's). I had my first A/C 2 weeks ago tomorrow (will have second dose tomorrow). I started noticing that there was more hair in the brush on Sunday - since then there is more and more coming out but still 'looks' OK. As soon as it starts looking 'ratty' - clippers come out and it's gone for the time being.

There is no reason to feel ashamed - vulnerable yes but not ashamed! As women, our hair is our 'crowning glory' - who we are - and to lose it, is to lose a part of us. But, in reality, it is not who we are at all - who we really are comes from within.

Talk to them at the oncology office or local ACS - they may have wigs available. I was given a wig the day I started chemo, it wasn't really 'right' but I could have used it. Tonight, I took it with me to "Look Good - Feel Better" and was able to exchange it for one that is just about perfect.

We're heading into winter now - so it'll be easier to wear wigs and wraps now than in the summer - will help keep head warm.

Susan