One week since diagnosis

nikrap
nikrap Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone,

Well it has been one week since my diagnosis and I have gotten a lot done. Last week I went saw the surgeon again, the radiologist as well as a plastic surgeon. I decided that I really felt uncomfortable with both surgeons. I was fortunate to have a friend to contact a friend who is a DR here in Raleigh and she got a referral for me to where that Dr would take his wife. I have appointment with the new surgeon, a new plastic surgeon as well as the oncologist this week. Next week I also have a marathon of appointments at Duke. I feel like I am making good progress so far.

Tomorrow I have my PET scan and an MRI on Friday. So far the surgeon and radiologist can't feel any lymph involvement, but we wont know for sure until the surgery. I have had an ache in my thigh on and off for the last couple of months. I should also add that I threw my knee out on that side before my thigh started bothering me. I am trying so hard no to panic, but I am so afraid this stuff has gotten into my bones. I plan on telling the oncologist Wednesday to get his take on what that pain might be from. I supposed I am just nervous because we just don't know the full extent of everything yet. Once we do and formulate an action plan, I think I will be fine as we can just go forward.

Thanks for letting me vent....
-Carolyn

Comments

• ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    HELLO
    MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU.THE WAITING IS SO HARD.ITS THE UNKNOWN.IT SEAMS LIKE I am always waiting on test results .I PRAY YOUR PET SCAN IS NEGATIVE.HANG IN THEIR.LET US KNOW HOW YOU ARE DOING. PAT.
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    Carolyn
    Waiting is the hardest part of this whole thing!! Good luck with your scan. You will be in my prayers. Hugs, Diane
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Carolyn
    Just wanted to welcome you to the boards...Sounds like you have been busy with appointments. I remember that this phase you are in was the worst for me because everything was unknown and no decisions have been made. Every ache or pain seemed like it was related to the beast. Remember, everyone gets aches and pains and it has nothing to do with the beast its just aches and pains.

Try not to panic too much and let us know how you are doing

Hugs
    Linda T
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    chickad52 said:

Carolyn
    Waiting is the hardest part of this whole thing!! Good luck with your scan. You will be in my prayers. Hugs, Diane

Hi Carolyn, Just to let you
    Hi Carolyn, Just to let you know we all panic, every pain, every ache, turns into panic. I think this may be with us for the rest of our lives. I was dx last April. I have had surgery,and am now doing Chemo and the will have to do Rads. All the test and everything they do there is a wait and its very hard to wait. I wish you the best and Pray for you as well. Good luck
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    chickad52 said:

Carolyn

Good luck Carolyn with all
    Good luck Carolyn with all of your tests. Let us know!

Hugs!
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Hi, Carolyn
    I too remember the beginning stages of this journey. The waiting and unknown was quite unbearable at times. My mind would go to places I really didn't want to be. Just take it one day at a time and see all your doctors and come up with a treatment plan based on facts. Then, the journey through that phase begins and eventually we come out on the other side. I'm still in the journey phase (chemo) right now but truly looking forward to the other side. Take care and I'll be thinking of you.
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    MyTurnNow said:

Hi, Carolyn
    I too remember the beginning stages of this journey. The waiting and unknown was quite unbearable at times. My mind would go to places I really didn't want to be. Just take it one day at a time and see all your doctors and come up with a treatment plan based on facts. Then, the journey through that phase begins and eventually we come out on the other side. I'm still in the journey phase (chemo) right now but truly looking forward to the other side. Take care and I'll be thinking of you.

Good luck Carolyn. Be sure
    Good luck Carolyn. Be sure and post and let us know how what your tests show.

Lex♥
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    You did the right thing
    Carolyn:

Comfort level with doctors, onc and surgeron's is top on my list. I am so sorry for your thigh pain.

getting formula's and plan of action will help you sleep a bit.

Wishing you the best on Wednesday, ask as many questions as possible.

Good luck,

VickiSam
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Hi Carolyn. Wow, you have a
    Hi Carolyn. Wow, you have a lot on your plate this week. How did the tests go? And, I am finding that THIS is the place to vent. I can't wait until I need to! lol

Sue :)
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    VickiSam said:

You did the right thing
    Carolyn:

Comfort level with doctors, onc and surgeron's is top on my list. I am so sorry for your thigh pain.

getting formula's and plan of action will help you sleep a bit.

Wishing you the best on Wednesday, ask as many questions as possible.

Good luck,

VickiSam

Carolyn
    First i want to welcome you to this site. Good for you for sticking to your feelings and finding a different doc. Its important to like them and feel comfortable with them. When we have to wait for tests, appt ect it is so aggravating and depressing. You just want to get things rolling and you cant, its like your lifes on hold. Thats how i felt anyway. I had a double mastectomy with tissue expanders placed at same time and am now on chemo. It felt like forever getting that far, but now im here and its never ending. I know exactly how you feel when you think you are being paranoid. I feel the same way. Every knot or pain i have i think its something related to cancer. I havent had any tests like a pet scan or mri or anything else though, but plan to ask my onc about a pet scan next appt. Things will move along for you soon. I will have you in my thoughts and pray for you. Keep us posted and welcome again. Take care

laura
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Welcome, Carolyn. Sounds
    Welcome, Carolyn. Sounds like you have been very busy. Also sounds like you are making some good decisions. Let us know what happens...

Hugs & prayers sent your way...
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Tux said:

Welcome, Carolyn. Sounds
    Welcome, Carolyn. Sounds like you have been very busy. Also sounds like you are making some good decisions. Let us know what happens...

Hugs & prayers sent your way...

Welcome and Hi Carolyn.
    Welcome and Hi Carolyn. Post and inform us of what your tests show.

♥ Kylez ♥
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Kylez said:

Welcome and Hi Carolyn.
    Welcome and Hi Carolyn. Post and inform us of what your tests show.

♥ Kylez ♥

Carolyn--Welcome
    Welcome to this wonderful site.

Hugs,
    Margo