Recently diagnosed. What do I do?

Comments

• Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    GG40 said:

Surgery over -- I'm home.
    Hi all...thanks for your support and prayers. My surgery went very well Friday and I was able to come home Saturday afternoon. My kids have been here helping me, but honestly I feel like I could do it myself...but I know I have to take it easy...I do get tired. I wasn't able to talk to the surgeon myself (I did see a partner of the plastic surgeon and he said I could go home) but he told the kids after surgery that everything went amazingly well...whole thing only took 2 hours including reconstruction...but I don't have any idea what the procedure is for getting my path report or or how long it will take. I'll call the office today and see what I can find out. Anyway except for these stupid drains that drive me nuts, I'm doing great. Will get back in touch when I know anything. Thanks again.

Surgery Over!
    A great big step - done! Glad to know it went very well for you. Yes, the drains are annoying - but, temporary. Take good care of yourself, rest, and relax.

Best wishes to you.
  • GG40
    GG40 Member Posts: 28

Surgery Over!
    A great big step - done! Glad to know it went very well for you. Yes, the drains are annoying - but, temporary. Take good care of yourself, rest, and relax.

Best wishes to you.

Another Update
    Got the pathology report back yesterday...not what I had hoped for. the cancer IS in the lymph nodes and there was also cancer in my other breast....SO glad I listened to God and not all the people that tried to get me to do the lumpectomy...otherwise I'd be scheduling yet another surgery.....he did say they may need more lymph nodes, but I guess now I just wait to get to an oncologist. This seems really bad to me and I've really had my socks knocked off...but I'm trying not to react until I know more....hard though. Thanks again for your support. GG
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    GG40 said:

Another Update
    Got the pathology report back yesterday...not what I had hoped for. the cancer IS in the lymph nodes and there was also cancer in my other breast....SO glad I listened to God and not all the people that tried to get me to do the lumpectomy...otherwise I'd be scheduling yet another surgery.....he did say they may need more lymph nodes, but I guess now I just wait to get to an oncologist. This seems really bad to me and I've really had my socks knocked off...but I'm trying not to react until I know more....hard though. Thanks again for your support. GG

GG40
    Hi, GG, and a belated welcome here, though of course I am sorry for the reason.

Trying not to react until you learn more is a good thing to do. I also received an unwelcome surprise after surgery and had to wait over the Thanksgiving weekend to learn more. That was the worst time that I and my family experienced. After you get the facts, you will truly feel better--it's the fear of the unknown that is the worst. When you have the facts, you can discuss treatment options and take action.

In the meantime, you might try distracting yourself as much as possible given the recent surgery. Read, watch movies, go out if you feel up to it, anything that helps you to avoid long periods of worry and fear. You seem to be a person of strong faith, and that will continue to be a source of strength.

I wish I could help you more, but I will have you in my thoughts and prayers.
  • GG40
    GG40 Member Posts: 28
    Moopy23 said:

GG40
    Hi, GG, and a belated welcome here, though of course I am sorry for the reason.

Trying not to react until you learn more is a good thing to do. I also received an unwelcome surprise after surgery and had to wait over the Thanksgiving weekend to learn more. That was the worst time that I and my family experienced. After you get the facts, you will truly feel better--it's the fear of the unknown that is the worst. When you have the facts, you can discuss treatment options and take action.

In the meantime, you might try distracting yourself as much as possible given the recent surgery. Read, watch movies, go out if you feel up to it, anything that helps you to avoid long periods of worry and fear. You seem to be a person of strong faith, and that will continue to be a source of strength.

I wish I could help you more, but I will have you in my thoughts and prayers.

Every day more bad news.
    WOW this has been nuts. How can a simple "little" tumor result in Stage 4 cancer, I cannot figure out. Since my last post I had a PET scan which I got the results from yesterday. Large mass (6 cm) in left lung (remember my original tumor was in the right) and in one of the left lymph nodes AND a spot on my right hip (that's what makes it stage 4 I guess). The next move is to find out what kind of cancer is in the lung...SO a biopsy of my lung mass is scheduled for Tuesday. If the cancer is breast cancer we will assume it is ALL breast cancer and move forward with chemotherapy. If it is lung cancer it is possible I will have it removed and then we'll have to figure out (biopsy or whatever) the hip spot to see what it is. This is all just so surreal. I've done everything right...eat right, exercise, yearly mammograms....it's just NUTS. I will let you know after the biopsy what we are dealing with. I'm so tired of bad news....let's just pray it's all breast cancer. At least I think that is what I understood the oncologist would be best. Thanks for your support. Hope you are all fairing better than I. BUT God is still good and in control.
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    GG40 said:

Every day more bad news.
    WOW this has been nuts. How can a simple "little" tumor result in Stage 4 cancer, I cannot figure out. Since my last post I had a PET scan which I got the results from yesterday. Large mass (6 cm) in left lung (remember my original tumor was in the right) and in one of the left lymph nodes AND a spot on my right hip (that's what makes it stage 4 I guess). The next move is to find out what kind of cancer is in the lung...SO a biopsy of my lung mass is scheduled for Tuesday. If the cancer is breast cancer we will assume it is ALL breast cancer and move forward with chemotherapy. If it is lung cancer it is possible I will have it removed and then we'll have to figure out (biopsy or whatever) the hip spot to see what it is. This is all just so surreal. I've done everything right...eat right, exercise, yearly mammograms....it's just NUTS. I will let you know after the biopsy what we are dealing with. I'm so tired of bad news....let's just pray it's all breast cancer. At least I think that is what I understood the oncologist would be best. Thanks for your support. Hope you are all fairing better than I. BUT God is still good and in control.

Oh GG I am so sorry... first
    Oh GG I am so sorry... first let me make sure that you get this... a gentle cyber ((((HUG))).. that is for you my friend... Hold on.. I know that we have more than a few warrior sisters who were dx'd at stage 4 and I know they will be here to share with you soon... I just want you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers... I will be sending many positive thoughts your way on Tuesday and pray for an outcome that is most favorable... Your faith is strong, and am so glad that you are able to lean on that during this difficult time...

We are here for you my friend...

Hugs

~T
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    GG40 said:

Every day more bad news.

GG40, I am so sorry to hear
    GG40, I am so sorry to hear this news. It just trickles, doesn't it? Surreal is the right description; after more than 9 months, I still have those moments.

I will pray that it is breast cancer and no other kind, since that is what your onc. thinks would be best. Whatever it is, please know that many, many women are living long and quality lives despite a stage 4 diagnosis. Some post here, such as our Jojo Elizapest. You will most likely be hearing from them soon.

I will be thinking of you especially on Tuesday and hoping for the best results. Please keep in touch. There is always someone here who understands and cares.
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    GG40 said:

Every day more bad news.

GG40
    I will be praying for you on Tues. for the best possible outcome. Keep tha faith it will carry you through. And you always have our support dear.
    God Bless, Jackie
  • cathlinberreth01
    cathlinberreth01 Member Posts: 38
    GG40 said:

Every day more bad news.

PET scan
    I am so sorry that your PET scan results were so devastating. I worried so bad about my PET scan and it came back fine. I am so sorry.

I am still confused why they did all this stuff AFTER your surgery. Have other women here done it this way?

I had my PET scan after learning of my lymph node involvement. They wanted to have it staged as well as they could to know the game plan before surgery and chemo.

It just seems like they would want to know beforehand. Because maybe they could have done the other biopsies at the time of the bilateral mastectomy and saved you some recovery time. I don't know.

But I am so sorry that you have such a long road ahead of you. You sound like a beautiful person. Keep going with your faith in God.
  • MichelleLea
    MichelleLea Member Posts: 6
    Faith
    Speak with your oncologist about what your instincts are telling you. Faith in God helped me a great deal when I was diagnosed with NHL. I told my story on healthmad.com. Title: "Never Bring Fear to a Cancer Fight." Best wishes to you! Keep the faith!!!
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    GG40 said:

Every day more bad news.

Sorry to hear about all of the bad news.
    But you're right,God is still good and very much in control. Sends shivers up my spine that you had made the decision of a double mastectomy-God must have put that on your heart!
    Yes,here's hoping that it's breast cancer(never thought I'd say that about anyone).
    Keep us posted when you can...
    Love,
    Patty
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565

Faith
    Speak with your oncologist about what your instincts are telling you. Faith in God helped me a great deal when I was diagnosed with NHL. I told my story on healthmad.com. Title: "Never Bring Fear to a Cancer Fight." Best wishes to you! Keep the faith!!!

Welcome
    MichelleLea !
  • cathlinberreth01
    cathlinberreth01 Member Posts: 38
    GG40 said:

Another Update

nodes
    My doctor wanted to biopsy my nodes before surgery and chemo. 2 out of 5 were positive. I was shocked and disappointed too, because the MRI had shown the nodes looking good. She said that if they biopsy your nodes during your mastectomy and find any positive, they have to go back in to take the remaining nodes and can botch your new boob job.

I am doing chemo first and will have my bilateral in October. I already know that they have to take all the nodes on the left side.

I am glad you went with your gut to do your bilateral, but I wish your doctors had discussed options like sentinel node biopsy PRIOR to the mastectomy surgery to avoid what is happening to you now.

Peace and good luck!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    GG40 said:

Every day more bad news.

Oh GG, I am so sorry I
    Oh GG, I am so sorry I missed this post. I feel so bad for you. You are going thru so much. Good luck tomorrow and please post and let us know when you can how you are.

Lots of hugs,

Kylez
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Sorry to hear about all of the bad news.
    But you're right,God is still good and very much in control. Sends shivers up my spine that you had made the decision of a double mastectomy-God must have put that on your heart!
    Yes,here's hoping that it's breast cancer(never thought I'd say that about anyone).
    Keep us posted when you can...
    Love,
    Patty

So sorry GG. I will put you
    So sorry GG. I will put you in my prayers!
  • rush361
    rush361 Member Posts: 14
    GG40 said:

Every day more bad news.

Biopsy Tuesday
    GG.. I'm new to this too, and the tests... waiting... tests... bad news, etc. is frustrating. Just keep your faith and know that you are being lifted up in prayer. This discussion board is awesome and you have a lot of people praying for you here. Keep us informed of the progress and reports. We will try to help as much as we can. You will get through this....God is in control.
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670

Welcome
    MichelleLea !

you are not insane on
    you are not insane on listening to your gut. Thats what i did when i decided for a double mastectomy. Im glad that i did because they hadnt ran any other test on me and my dx was in the left breast, but the right one had tumors and the tissue was starting to change and would have developed into bc and god only knows when it would have been found. I prayed to god about this and felt peace with my decision and thats how it was the right one for me as well. You have to decide for yourself what to do. Its not anyone elses choice or decision, its what you feel is right. Your in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck with what you decide to do.

laura
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    lolad said:

you are not insane on
    you are not insane on listening to your gut. Thats what i did when i decided for a double mastectomy. Im glad that i did because they hadnt ran any other test on me and my dx was in the left breast, but the right one had tumors and the tissue was starting to change and would have developed into bc and god only knows when it would have been found. I prayed to god about this and felt peace with my decision and thats how it was the right one for me as well. You have to decide for yourself what to do. Its not anyone elses choice or decision, its what you feel is right. Your in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck with what you decide to do.

laura

GG, please post when you can
    GG, please post when you can and let us know how you are!
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Moopy23 said:

GG40, I am so sorry to hear
    GG40, I am so sorry to hear this news. It just trickles, doesn't it? Surreal is the right description; after more than 9 months, I still have those moments.

I will pray that it is breast cancer and no other kind, since that is what your onc. thinks would be best. Whatever it is, please know that many, many women are living long and quality lives despite a stage 4 diagnosis. Some post here, such as our Jojo Elizapest. You will most likely be hearing from them soon.

I will be thinking of you especially on Tuesday and hoping for the best results. Please keep in touch. There is always someone here who understands and cares.

GG
    I will be praying for you GG!
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    GG40 said:

Thank you all AGAIN...many times I'll be saying that I'm sure
    I saw the surgeon yesterday. He was wonderful...I felt an instant trust for him. He did not try to sway me whatsoever, but insisted it was my decision. He encouraged me to pray about it and make the decision that gave me the most peace. He gave me all my options, and he said a lumpectomy would give the same result as a mastectomy...but of course the mastectomy would reduce considerably the chance for a recurrence even tho there is no indication there would be a recurrence. It is a small tumor and not fast growing...bla bla bla. :( The decision that gives me the most peace from the beginning and even now is a bi-lateral mastectomy. (if one then both as I don't want to be lopsided ha ha) I'm sure that is somewhat radical right now, but I don't really see the "downside" except for the obvious....major surgery to recover from and NO BOOBIES....on a lighter note: my boss was talking about my decision and said "do I get a vote [yea right] Keep what you have" I said, "you are obviously a boob man" we laughed hysterically .... I do admit the thought of not having to do burning radiation or hopefully no chemo (which is not related to which route I go, I realize) weigh on my mind. I would be interested in some websites for preventive cancer protocols.

Seriously, I know some will say this is too much based on my tumor (even my son does, however, he will support whatever I do) but in my spirit, that seems the right thing to do. I have an appt with a plastic surgeon tomorrow for more info gathering...but I have decided to definitely do reconstruction if this is the route I go.

THOUGHTS??????

Welcome
    Just wanted to welcome you to the site and concur with what everyone has been saying to you. It is your decision and you have to choose what is right for you and what makes you feel confortable. So take your time and weigh the pros and cons. One thing you might check, sometimes even though you remove both breasts, the Docs may still make you undergo chemo therapy so that cancer does not return anywhere else in you body-not just the breasts.

I opted for a lumpectomy. I am possessive by nature and have a tendancy to hold onto what is mine. I have had 2 rounds of chemo with 4 to go. It's no picnic but it can be done.

Good Luck and Welcom.

P
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    rush361 said:

Biopsy Tuesday
    GG.. I'm new to this too, and the tests... waiting... tests... bad news, etc. is frustrating. Just keep your faith and know that you are being lifted up in prayer. This discussion board is awesome and you have a lot of people praying for you here. Keep us informed of the progress and reports. We will try to help as much as we can. You will get through this....God is in control.

Hi Rush and welcome.
    Hi Rush and welcome.

Hugs,

Kylez