Recently diagnosed. What do I do?

Options
GG40
GG40 Member Posts: 28
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. The tumor was found during my yearly mammogram (all have been completely clear before)and I was immediately biopsied...the result was cancer. I have not spoken to my surgeon yet but spoke to his PA and she gave me all the information and options available to me. My gut reaction is bilateral mastectomy--no question get it out. I don't have a lot of information about the tumor in my right breast, except it is 2.2 x 1.4 cm in size...invasive mammory carcinoma. An oncologist friend has told me there is absolutely no reason to do anything more than a lumpectomy, 6 wks radiation and hormone therapy (likely). He said, "The two breasts don't talk to each other and just because you have cancer in one doesn't mean you have it in the other." I've talked to many people who have either been through this or a family member has. It seems to me that most of them say the cancer came back and they ended up with a mastectomy anyway..even tho my oncologist friend says that is absolutely untrue. "Don't get knife happy." My gut still says bilateral mastectomy. I have a very strong faith in God and trust Him to see me through this. I am not as much scared of it all (tho I'm sure not looking forward to it) as I am scared of making the wrong decision...don't want to make my decision based on fear of the future, but my gut tells me mastectomy. Am I insane? Would appreciate some input here.

Comments

• maryannrogers
    maryannrogers Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Absolutely, not
    Absolutely, not insane!!!

Gather all the information you can. I'm sure you will make the right decision...the decision that is right for you. But again...make sure you gather all your information first.

Best of luck.

Maryann
  • GG40
    Options

Absolutely, not
    Absolutely, not insane!!!

Gather all the information you can. I'm sure you will make the right decision...the decision that is right for you. But again...make sure you gather all your information first.

Best of luck.

Maryann

Thanks
    I am not panicking yet, but confused. I am trying to gather all the information I can and I know that I need to wait and talk to my surgeon first. But I also realize they really won't know anything for sure until they get in there. Isn't that right?
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the boards GG...
    Welcome to the boards GG... I am so sorry for the reason you are here, but glad you found us!! The people here are full of love, support, friendship, information, support, life, fun, support, humor.. and did I say support??

I know it is a tough decision.. one that I myself made just like everyone here has.. I opted for a lumpectomy, still don't know about the neccessity of chemo.. will find out within about 7 more days... my tumor was right straight smack in the middle of what the ASC Nurse and my 1st oncologist (getting a 2nd opinion) said was medical treatment protocal... so I may have to decide which route to take chemo w/rad or just rad...so we're doing the OncotypeDX test.. we'll see how that plays out..

This is a very personal decision and only one that you can make.. whatever it is that you feel comfortable with, brings you the most piece of mind, and comfort... Did they do a needle core biopsy or excisional??? My biopsy was exsisional.. on the ultra sound it was 4 cm... but when they did the biopsy, the actual "invasive tumor component" was only 1 cm... this information can change the treatment significantly...along with the grade, and stage...

Make sure you get all the information that you can.. talk to your oncologist, talk with people here... then make whatever decision is right for you.. We will be here to support you before, during and after...

Hugs to you,

~T
  • GG40
    Options
    taleena said:

Welcome to the boards GG...
    Welcome to the boards GG... I am so sorry for the reason you are here, but glad you found us!! The people here are full of love, support, friendship, information, support, life, fun, support, humor.. and did I say support??

I know it is a tough decision.. one that I myself made just like everyone here has.. I opted for a lumpectomy, still don't know about the neccessity of chemo.. will find out within about 7 more days... my tumor was right straight smack in the middle of what the ASC Nurse and my 1st oncologist (getting a 2nd opinion) said was medical treatment protocal... so I may have to decide which route to take chemo w/rad or just rad...so we're doing the OncotypeDX test.. we'll see how that plays out..

This is a very personal decision and only one that you can make.. whatever it is that you feel comfortable with, brings you the most piece of mind, and comfort... Did they do a needle core biopsy or excisional??? My biopsy was exsisional.. on the ultra sound it was 4 cm... but when they did the biopsy, the actual "invasive tumor component" was only 1 cm... this information can change the treatment significantly...along with the grade, and stage...

Make sure you get all the information that you can.. talk to your oncologist, talk with people here... then make whatever decision is right for you.. We will be here to support you before, during and after...

Hugs to you,

~T

I'm glad I found you too.
    I don't know for sure if they called it needle or not (with help of ultrasound)...don't know what excisional is...but I'll tell you it was no needle he stuck in there, it looked like a jagged edged blade to me and it clipped out 4 pieces of tissue. Path report called it grade 2 over 3. Thanks so much for your support. I never saw myself joining a discussion board before but now I'm eager for any support and information I can get. I am determined NOT to let this breast cancer define me, but I would be naive if I thought it wouldn't have to consume my days the next few months. Again, thank you for your support. God bless you, I will be praying for your report and proper treatment.
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options
    GG40 said:

Thanks
    I am not panicking yet, but confused. I am trying to gather all the information I can and I know that I need to wait and talk to my surgeon first. But I also realize they really won't know anything for sure until they get in there. Isn't that right?

You are right in that they
    You are right in that they really wont know until they get in there. I started with a lumpectomy , but the cancer cells were in too much of the surrounding tissue so I ended up with the mastectomy anyway.Also node involvement will determine what needs to be done. If I could have stayed with the lumpectomy though, I would have.
    Dee
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    Hi, Welcome, but sorry you
    Hi, Welcome, but sorry you have to be here. As I was reading your story here, I felt I was reading about myself about 2 months ago now. I said the same thing, to the word "take them both". Thats not what happened. I had a lumptectomy. My surgeon refused to take both. She would have taken one breast, but she felt that a lumpectomy would be in order. I am passed surgery by 3 weeks now. I am now on to the next step in this journey. Warning, You will be doing a lot of waiting for answers and you are going to have a ton of questions. Write them down as you think of them. Take someone with you to doctors appointments so they can listen and take notes. You won't remember most of what is said. Cry when you need to, it helps. Keep moving forward, and welcome again to your new group of friends, who will see you though every step of the way.Hang in there.
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    GG40 said:

I'm glad I found you too.
    I don't know for sure if they called it needle or not (with help of ultrasound)...don't know what excisional is...but I'll tell you it was no needle he stuck in there, it looked like a jagged edged blade to me and it clipped out 4 pieces of tissue. Path report called it grade 2 over 3. Thanks so much for your support. I never saw myself joining a discussion board before but now I'm eager for any support and information I can get. I am determined NOT to let this breast cancer define me, but I would be naive if I thought it wouldn't have to consume my days the next few months. Again, thank you for your support. God bless you, I will be praying for your report and proper treatment.

GG.. excisional... that just
    GG.. excisional... that just means surgically removed.. that's how they did mine.. I am glad to hear that you will not allow the cancer to define you...and it will change your life.. no doubt there.. but that is the most important part.. yes.. it will consume your thoughts, life, for the next while.. but the journey of the process does to some degree help define who we are.. we find that we are stronger than we ever thought possible..we find more people than we ever thought possible ...are supportive... and caring... wishing you the absolute best.. please come here often.. ask questions... participate in light hearted conversations.. express your concerns... whatever you need.. we are here for you!

Hugs,

~T
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    GG...glad you found us!!
    Well, what can I say except you sound just like me!! So now you know you are not insane!! Unless I'm insane and don't know it.....then your in trouble!! (I like to use humor to keep me sane!).

I marched into my surgeons office and TOLD him I wanted both babies gone....going with the BIG guns here and not taking any chances!! Also that they may as well just hit me with the trifecta (chemo, radiation, hormone therapy - was ER/PR + and Her2-). I remember coming home that day after the appointment and hitting the boards here with my post that started with the words..."I lost!!"

My surgeon understood my concerns but thought I had really nice boobies (hubby had the biggest smile on his face when Doc said that 'cause he thinks he owns them more than me! Shhhh....we won't tell him they are attached to MY body, not his. We'll let him have his fun!) My surgeon explained to me that I would benefit the same from a lumpectomy + treatment as I would any other way. That is when I learned to have complete trust in my Doctor. He was recommending what was best in MY situation. That is when I also realized how different everyone's situation really was & so they taylor the care specifically to each individual.

Also, when he first measured my tumor (of course from the outside) it was actually smaller than he thought once removed. I found out this is normal. However, it changed my treatment plan by .1cm which made me glad I did the lumpectomy.

My therory is that yes, it may come back down the road....then I will do the mestectomy. But on the same token, it may never come back in that breast! I had the OncotypeDX test done and just found out yesterday that my score of reoccurence was soooo low that it was off the chart!

You will always make the finale decision in your care (my surgeon would have done what I originally asked if I told him that was what I wanted). I'm glad I let him talk me out of it and I had time to think with my "common sense" and not my "panic"!

What you are feeling, I think, is pretty normal. I think everyone just wants it out of them!! Hang in there. Hear what they offer you and know that you do not have to make a decision in a split second right then & there. You do have time to think about it and gather all the info you need.

This is a great start for you as you will hear about alot of experiences here. Sorry for your diagnosis, but glad you found us!! :) Pammy

PS)Sounds like you may have had a "core needle" biopsy. That is what I had.
  • GG40
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

GG...glad you found us!!
    Well, what can I say except you sound just like me!! So now you know you are not insane!! Unless I'm insane and don't know it.....then your in trouble!! (I like to use humor to keep me sane!).

I marched into my surgeons office and TOLD him I wanted both babies gone....going with the BIG guns here and not taking any chances!! Also that they may as well just hit me with the trifecta (chemo, radiation, hormone therapy - was ER/PR + and Her2-). I remember coming home that day after the appointment and hitting the boards here with my post that started with the words..."I lost!!"

My surgeon understood my concerns but thought I had really nice boobies (hubby had the biggest smile on his face when Doc said that 'cause he thinks he owns them more than me! Shhhh....we won't tell him they are attached to MY body, not his. We'll let him have his fun!) My surgeon explained to me that I would benefit the same from a lumpectomy + treatment as I would any other way. That is when I learned to have complete trust in my Doctor. He was recommending what was best in MY situation. That is when I also realized how different everyone's situation really was & so they taylor the care specifically to each individual.

Also, when he first measured my tumor (of course from the outside) it was actually smaller than he thought once removed. I found out this is normal. However, it changed my treatment plan by .1cm which made me glad I did the lumpectomy.

My therory is that yes, it may come back down the road....then I will do the mestectomy. But on the same token, it may never come back in that breast! I had the OncotypeDX test done and just found out yesterday that my score of reoccurence was soooo low that it was off the chart!

You will always make the finale decision in your care (my surgeon would have done what I originally asked if I told him that was what I wanted). I'm glad I let him talk me out of it and I had time to think with my "common sense" and not my "panic"!

What you are feeling, I think, is pretty normal. I think everyone just wants it out of them!! Hang in there. Hear what they offer you and know that you do not have to make a decision in a split second right then & there. You do have time to think about it and gather all the info you need.

This is a great start for you as you will hear about alot of experiences here. Sorry for your diagnosis, but glad you found us!! :) Pammy

Thank you Pammy
    Thank you for sharing your story. I must admit I have been afraid that when I go in to see the surgeon tomorrow he will refuse to take them both. BUT I am encouraged by your post. I will try to be patient, not easy for me (maybe if I'd learned patience the first time God tried to teach it to me I wouldn't have to go through SO many other instances of Him teaching me HA)I will try to listen to my doctors and I'm so glad I found you guys. GG
  • GG40
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

GG...glad you found us!!

Thank you Pammy
    Thank you for sharing your story. I must admit I have been afraid that when I go in to see the surgeon tomorrow he will refuse to take them both. BUT I am encouraged by your post. I will try to be patient, not easy for me (maybe if I'd learned patience the first time God tried to teach it to me I wouldn't have to go through SO many other instances of Him teaching me HA)I will try to listen to my doctors and I'm so glad I found you guys. GG
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'm always late....sheesh!
    Hello GG. I am late in welcoming you....but WELCOME! (wink)

IMHO, you need to have all of the information that you can get, regarding your cancer, and then do what you feel will give you peace of mind. Make the best decision for YOU.

I had right breast mastectomy and lymph nodes removed last August. Frankly, I now wish that I had opted for double mastectomy. That is ME, and may not be what's best for you, however.
    I do not like being "lopsided" and I do worry about the other breast, of course.

Big hugs,

CR
  • dmc_emmy
    dmc_emmy Member Posts: 549
    Options
    GG40 said:

Thank you Pammy

GG-welcome
    Like many of the ladies have already said, part of bc is waiting to get answers. After 3 and 1/2 years I still have questions, more visits with the drs than I would like (though I am always thankful when everything comes up clean), and more tests than I have had in a lifetime prior to my dx. But, I also have more faith. I don't understand why I have been sent on this very frightening journey, but I do know that I have learned more in the past 3 and 1/2 years about faith, believing, friendship, love, life, and giving to others than I had learned in the 50 years prior to my dx.

I have learned to trust in total strangers and I have learned to trust my drs (even when we don't agree). Your drs are there for you, something I learned to appreciate and accept over time and, in their best judgment, they will do everything they can to give you the quality of life you deserve. I find comfort in that realization.

I, too, wanted a dbl mas, but my drs refused. Though I still wish it had been done, I have to rely on the trust that has developed over time between us and not second-guess their wisdom.

Wishing you well and know that you never have to do any of this alone--you have us.
    dmc
  • GG40
    Options
    CR1954 said:

IMHO, you need to have all of the information that you can get, regarding your cancer, and then do what you feel will give you peace of mind. Make the best decision for YOU.

I had right breast mastectomy and lymph nodes removed last August. Frankly, I now wish that I had opted for double mastectomy. That is ME, and may not be what's best for you, however.
    I do not like being "lopsided" and I do worry about the other breast, of course.

Big hugs,

CR

Thanks to you all!!!
    I appreciate all of your comments. I must admit the prospect of no more saggy boobs, but "perky" ones has crossed my mind!! Hee hee :) If I can convince them to do one, I will convince them to do two. But you're right of course...I HAVE to learn to trust my doctors. Some of them are friends (not the surgeon tho) so I do have a little in there, but still not sure I can convince them to do something they don't think I should do nor should I maybe. But as was said before I have my faith to carry me through and now I have all of you. Thank you SO much.
    Blessings, (I love your dog)
    GG
  • GG40
    Options
    CR1954 said:

Big hugs,

CR

Thanks to you all!!!
    ok why do I keep getting two posts up there everytime I do one? And I'm a computer person. kinda scary HA HA
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Welcome CG40
    Yes, like all the others, I will say it is always up to you for the final decision regarding surgery, but first make sure you weigh all the options.

I figured why go for the whole thing if I can get low enough percentages of recurrence with a lumpectomy? But first you must find out more information in order to make a final decision. This will be a very crazy time for you, and any questions you have, write down so you can have a list when you get with the doctor.

We are here to help, but the final decision will always be yours.
    Take care and let us know how it goes
    =^..^=
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    GG40 said:

Thanks to you all!!!
    I appreciate all of your comments. I must admit the prospect of no more saggy boobs, but "perky" ones has crossed my mind!! Hee hee :) If I can convince them to do one, I will convince them to do two. But you're right of course...I HAVE to learn to trust my doctors. Some of them are friends (not the surgeon tho) so I do have a little in there, but still not sure I can convince them to do something they don't think I should do nor should I maybe. But as was said before I have my faith to carry me through and now I have all of you. Thank you SO much.
    Blessings, (I love your dog)
    GG

Just welcoming you GG and
    Just welcoming you GG and wishing you the best. Your treatment is a very serious decision, so, please research your choices and make the best decision for you. Inre to the "perky" ones, please have your plastic surgeon show you pictures of reconstruction. And, I wish you the best.
  • Lorraine58
    Lorraine58 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    your recent diagnoses
    GG, I also am a recently diagnosed suvivor. My advise to you is don't make a move until you gather enough information to decide what avenue of treatment is right for you.
    My personal choice is not to poison and burn my body with conventional medicine. It makes absolutely no sense to poison my body to kill the cancer when my body is already in a weakened state that allowed the cancer to grow in the first place.
    I am doing alternative protocols and am having good results. It does take work and commitment to change your lifestyle, but it has to be done anyway if you want to stay cancer free in the future.
    I will consider surgery to remove the tumor in 3 to 4 months if the size doesn't continue to shrink, or if it is still there.
    My decision is of course not what my doctors want, but it is my body and my choice.
    I choose to retain a quality of life that I would not, in my opinion, have if I allowed the chemo and radiation, because of the long and short term damage these treatments are proven to do to the heart and other organs, as well as actually causing cancer in other organs of the body.
    What I have found as a result of my research into all avenues of protocols, is there are sooo many proven alternative treatments out there that work, but the drug companies in effect "own" the industry and the FDA because of "profit", and they use all kinds of underhanded tricks to keep the truth from the cancer patients.

I understand where you are at, as my diagnoses was in April this year, and all I have done since then is research, research, research!
    It is actually the toxins in our environment and our diets that is allowing this current epidemic of cancer everywhere.
    When we (as consumers) wake up and demand change and start declining to buy or use or eat the lies that companies and commercials are shoving at us, then we can start to heal.
    Please do you due diligence and research the alternative answers to dealing with cancer.
    If you are interested, I will be more than glad to provide you with websites and books and treatment facilities you can access for help.
    God Bless You with His Peach and Guidance,
    Lorraine58
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    cats_toy said:

Welcome CG40
    Yes, like all the others, I will say it is always up to you for the final decision regarding surgery, but first make sure you weigh all the options.

I figured why go for the whole thing if I can get low enough percentages of recurrence with a lumpectomy? But first you must find out more information in order to make a final decision. This will be a very crazy time for you, and any questions you have, write down so you can have a list when you get with the doctor.

We are here to help, but the final decision will always be yours.
    Take care and let us know how it goes
    =^..^=

Hi GG40
    Welcome GG40! Sorry that you are here because of bc, but, we are here to

support and help you. I want to wish you good luck in your decision!
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Hi GG40
    Welcome GG40! Sorry that you are here because of bc, but, we are here to

support and help you. I want to wish you good luck in your decision!

Hi GG
    I just wanted to welcome you, this is great place to come for support and information.
    Please keep us posted on what you decide and everything that goes on at your next appt.

I really don't have anything to add because I have just started with my fight against the beast, my doctor is recommending a lumpectomy and I feel comfortable with that. All I can tell you is, to make the decision you feel best with.

The people on this site are great and we will all do our best to support you. no matter what you decide, and remember, utimaely it is up to you.

Take care
    Aurora
  • bfbear
    bfbear Member Posts: 380
    Options

your recent diagnoses
    GG, I also am a recently diagnosed suvivor. My advise to you is don't make a move until you gather enough information to decide what avenue of treatment is right for you.
    My personal choice is not to poison and burn my body with conventional medicine. It makes absolutely no sense to poison my body to kill the cancer when my body is already in a weakened state that allowed the cancer to grow in the first place.
    I am doing alternative protocols and am having good results. It does take work and commitment to change your lifestyle, but it has to be done anyway if you want to stay cancer free in the future.
    I will consider surgery to remove the tumor in 3 to 4 months if the size doesn't continue to shrink, or if it is still there.
    My decision is of course not what my doctors want, but it is my body and my choice.
    I choose to retain a quality of life that I would not, in my opinion, have if I allowed the chemo and radiation, because of the long and short term damage these treatments are proven to do to the heart and other organs, as well as actually causing cancer in other organs of the body.
    What I have found as a result of my research into all avenues of protocols, is there are sooo many proven alternative treatments out there that work, but the drug companies in effect "own" the industry and the FDA because of "profit", and they use all kinds of underhanded tricks to keep the truth from the cancer patients.

I understand where you are at, as my diagnoses was in April this year, and all I have done since then is research, research, research!
    It is actually the toxins in our environment and our diets that is allowing this current epidemic of cancer everywhere.
    When we (as consumers) wake up and demand change and start declining to buy or use or eat the lies that companies and commercials are shoving at us, then we can start to heal.
    Please do you due diligence and research the alternative answers to dealing with cancer.
    If you are interested, I will be more than glad to provide you with websites and books and treatment facilities you can access for help.
    God Bless You with His Peach and Guidance,
    Lorraine58

Welcome GG
    This is THE best place to be when you get that @$#!* bc diagnosis. I found this board shortly after my dx, and had never participated on something like this before, and now I consider a great many of the women here as family.

You can say anything you need or want to here, and everyone will understand. As you've already seen, there are many here with similar stories. You will never feel alone again!!

I had a dbl. mastectomy with reconstruction early last month. The left breast had a 5 mm tumor and loads of other DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ). It was definitely "a goner." The right breast had a lot of weird, but benign, lumps and I was told if all my breast tissue was removed, I would not have to have any further treatment (assuming that in surgery and the final pathology report, nothing else turned up). I am 54 years old, I've already had a full hysterectomy, and I knew that if I didn't have the right breast taken as well, I would be constantly worried about the lumps...even if the two breasts "don't talk to each other).

My surgeon was supportive of my decision. She is fabulous, and trained at M.D. Anderson in Houston, so I had no misgivings about her advice. (My husband adored her too!)

So now both breasts are "foobs" (i.e. fake boobs ;-) ), but I do not need any chemo, radiation, or aromistase inhibitors (e.g. Tamoxiphen). I consider that great.

I am glad I had the dbl. mast. But that was my decision, given the information I had and the research I did. As others have said, do your research into your type of cancer, talk to your doctors and if you can't trust them, find doctors who you can trust.

Again, welcome....sorry you have to be here, but glad you found us!!

Hugs,
    Debi