Gemzar and Platin

Options
jean b
jean b Member Posts: 77
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hi: Recent PET revealed a few more spots in abdomen and pelvic area. These are too small for surgery so I'm starting chemo this Thurs. Had carbo and taxol last time so don't know what to expect from GEMZAR and PLATIN combo. Does anyone have any advice?

Comments

• jane65
    jane65 Member Posts: 277
    Options
    Jean
    Hi Jean,
    I can't help you with the chemo question, but I want to wish you good luck, and good health.

My next chemo will be Gemzar/Avastin probably.
    Jane
  • LPack
    LPack Member Posts: 645
    Options
    same
    Jean,

Sounds like we are on the same combo! Gemzar and cisplatin - every two weeks for me. With Neulasta shot the following day.

So far in the past 4 days I have found it to be somewhat more tiring then taxol/carbo but than again, the shot can give you flu like symptoms and bone pain. Just makes me tired just thinking about it!! ☺

Keep in touch and let me know how it goes for you.

In His Grip,
    Libby ♥
  • jean b
    Options
    Hi: Glad we can compare
    Hi: Glad we can compare notes. Woke up with slight headache, face very red and some nausea. Took all meds. and just feel kind of blah! Please keep in touch.
    Jean
  • carol2dogs
    carol2dogs Member Posts: 132
    Options
    Gemzar and Cisplatin
    Hi Jean!
    Like Libby and you, I also am on Gemzar and Cisplatin, just started in June. I got some nausea from the Cisplatin, controlled with the nausea meds, and the usual fatigue. When I had the gemzar alone, I had few if any side effects. I still have my hair and have not noticed any extra on my hairbrush. I will have my second infusion of gemzar and cisplatin on July 23, can let you know how that goes.
    Best of luck to you! Keep us informed.
    Love and hugs, Carol
  • jean b
    Options
    LPack said:

same
    Jean,

Sounds like we are on the same combo! Gemzar and cisplatin - every two weeks for me. With Neulasta shot the following day.

So far in the past 4 days I have found it to be somewhat more tiring then taxol/carbo but than again, the shot can give you flu like symptoms and bone pain. Just makes me tired just thinking about it!! ☺

Keep in touch and let me know how it goes for you.

In His Grip,
    Libby ♥

Hi Libby: Had my first
    Hi Libby: Had my first treatment on Thurs. Still feeling kind of yuck today. Nausea, even though I am taking a ton of medication. Also achy muscles. Had a headache for 2 days also. Can't believe I have to go back in 4 days for more. How are you holding up??
    Jean
  • jean b
    Options

Gemzar and Cisplatin
    Hi Jean!
    Like Libby and you, I also am on Gemzar and Cisplatin, just started in June. I got some nausea from the Cisplatin, controlled with the nausea meds, and the usual fatigue. When I had the gemzar alone, I had few if any side effects. I still have my hair and have not noticed any extra on my hairbrush. I will have my second infusion of gemzar and cisplatin on July 23, can let you know how that goes.
    Best of luck to you! Keep us informed.
    Love and hugs, Carol

Hi Carol: I'll be having
    Hi Carol: I'll be having the Gemzar alone on Thurs. and hoping it won;t be so bad. Let me know how you are doing as we are pretty much doing the same thing at the same time.
    Thanks
    Jean
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    jean b said:

Hi: Glad we can compare
    Hi: Glad we can compare notes. Woke up with slight headache, face very red and some nausea. Took all meds. and just feel kind of blah! Please keep in touch.
    Jean

My face and trunk get red with carboplatin...I took extra benedryl when at home for that. It was just a mild reaction. I do the same thing with the iodine dye they give with a CT scan. Reading your posts with interest in case that is what I get this next round, Saundra
  • LPack
    Options
    Week later
    Jean,

It is a week later since gemzar and cisplatin. I took my zofran only once a day from last Monday through Friday and did okay and the nausea. I too get a flushed face that same day and the day after even with benedryl. I did before on carbo/taxol too. The symptoms from the Neulast shot the next day (Tuesday) was bone pain (still some in lower back) and just felt yukky on Wednesday and laid around.

Felt fine over the weekend and today. I Praise God for each morning and the rest He provides. I took one tylenol pm each night since chemo and last night only 1/2 and will do so until I have my next chemo a week from today.

Praying we all receive another remission. =)

I also had a slight headache but now can't remember which day. And I experienced a slight increase in body temperature this time. But not over 100.

In His Grip,
    Libby ♪♪♪♪ I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever, I will sing, I will sing..........

Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty
    Who was and is and is to come
    With all creature I sing
    Praise to the King of Kings
    You are my everything and I will adore You!!
  • jean b
    Options
    LPack said:

Week later
    Jean,

It is a week later since gemzar and cisplatin. I took my zofran only once a day from last Monday through Friday and did okay and the nausea. I too get a flushed face that same day and the day after even with benedryl. I did before on carbo/taxol too. The symptoms from the Neulast shot the next day (Tuesday) was bone pain (still some in lower back) and just felt yukky on Wednesday and laid around.

Felt fine over the weekend and today. I Praise God for each morning and the rest He provides. I took one tylenol pm each night since chemo and last night only 1/2 and will do so until I have my next chemo a week from today.

I also had a slight headache but now can't remember which day. And I experienced a slight increase in body temperature this time. But not over 100.

In His Grip,
    Libby ♪♪♪♪ I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever, I will sing, I will sing..........

With all creature I sing

Hi Libby: It's been 5 days
    Hi Libby: It's been 5 days since my first treatment. Still having some nausea and bowel problems. As a matter of fact I am seeing the doctor today. I haven't even begun to think about the hair loss as I am feeling so lousy. One day at a time as they say. Noticed headache with this more than the Taxol also. Hang in there, we will hang in there together.
    Jean
  • LPack
    Options
    jean b said:

Hi Libby: It's been 5 days
    Hi Libby: It's been 5 days since my first treatment. Still having some nausea and bowel problems. As a matter of fact I am seeing the doctor today. I haven't even begun to think about the hair loss as I am feeling so lousy. One day at a time as they say. Noticed headache with this more than the Taxol also. Hang in there, we will hang in there together.
    Jean

Hair Loss
    Jean,

I don't even know if we do lose our hair this time around?? But if so, I am ready with wig, etc.

I too had the bowel problems and just yesterday seemed back to normal. Only to get ready for my next chemo in 6 days!

I have had lower back pain with spasms and found from several others that the shot seems to settle in lower back and the pain rolls along the hips, spine and liver area.

But really feeling a lot better this week. Thanks for your update and let me know what the doctor says. I am still fighting the insurance regarding the Neulasta shot!!

In His Grip,
    Libby ☺
  • jean b
    Options
    Hi Carol: I will be having
    Hi Carol: I will be having my "small" treatment of Gemzar along with you tomorrow. I still haven't felt well from the first one. Just a day at a time.
    Love, Jean
  • jean b
    Options
    jean b said:

Hi Carol: I'll be having
    Hi Carol: I'll be having the Gemzar alone on Thurs. and hoping it won;t be so bad. Let me know how you are doing as we are pretty much doing the same thing at the same time.
    Thanks
    Jean

short round of gemzar
    Hi Carol: Had the lower dosage of Gemzar alone yesterday. Red face this morning and a little bit of yuk in the pit of my stomach. I will try some of the meds. they gave me last time around. I am so looking forward to the next 2 weeks off to see how much better I really will feel. How did you make out yesterday and how are you feeling today? Hope to hear from you soon.
    Love, Jean
  • jean b
    Options
    LPack said:

Week later
    Jean,

In His Grip,

With all creature I sing

short dosage of gemzar yesterday
    Hi Libby: Had my short visit yesterday just receiving Gemzar. I was finally feeling like I had turned the corner the day before with feeling well. Today I have my red face and a little bit of gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach. I will try some of the meds. given to me last week. How did you make out yesterday? Hope to hear from you soon.
    Love, Jean
  • carol2dogs
    carol2dogs Member Posts: 132
    Options
    jean b said:

short round of gemzar
    Hi Carol: Had the lower dosage of Gemzar alone yesterday. Red face this morning and a little bit of yuk in the pit of my stomach. I will try some of the meds. they gave me last time around. I am so looking forward to the next 2 weeks off to see how much better I really will feel. How did you make out yesterday and how are you feeling today? Hope to hear from you soon.
    Love, Jean

Gemzar and cisplatin
    Jean,
    I had my second infusion of both yesterday. For some reason, this combo hits me very quickly - the night of chemo. Had a rough overnight and feel very yucky today, but I took both nausea meds as soon as I got up and that helped. I also get the face flushing the day after, plus redness around my port. However, I have some very good news - my CA125 went down from 93 to 46!
    I hope your counts go down as well!
    Love and hugs, Carol
  • jean b
    Options

Gemzar and cisplatin
    Jean,
    I had my second infusion of both yesterday. For some reason, this combo hits me very quickly - the night of chemo. Had a rough overnight and feel very yucky today, but I took both nausea meds as soon as I got up and that helped. I also get the face flushing the day after, plus redness around my port. However, I have some very good news - my CA125 went down from 93 to 46!
    I hope your counts go down as well!
    Love and hugs, Carol

Hooray for you!
    Hi Carol: Hate that you are feeling badly, but happy the CA125 is coming down nicely. I had my short session with the Gemzar yesterday and am looking forward to 2 weeks before we do it all over again. Keep well.
    Hugs
    Jean
  • LPack
    Options
    jean b said:

short dosage of gemzar yesterday
    Hi Libby: Had my short visit yesterday just receiving Gemzar. I was finally feeling like I had turned the corner the day before with feeling well. Today I have my red face and a little bit of gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach. I will try some of the meds. given to me last week. How did you make out yesterday? Hope to hear from you soon.
    Love, Jean

petscan
    Jean,

Had my petscan this morning and will know if I light up next week sometime. I am praying no "lighting up" anywhere!!

I have my "B" treatment of gemzar/cisplatin Monday and then I do get my shot locally early Wednesday morning. Have to pay the $1800 copay this one time and then the rest of the shots for 2009 (11) will be covered.

I have felt myself pretty much most of this week. Glad you are doing well, except you may need some Zofran?

Have a great weekend.

Love,
    Libby
  • jean b
    Options
    Hi Libby: I'll be praying
    Hi Libby: I'll be praying as well for not "light spots". The waiting is just as bad as the disease. I read an article once describing the waiting as "SCANXIETY". we all know it well.I'm feeling OK and still a little fatigued. My daughters want to take me out for a while today, I told them I would try. I am going to take a Zofran also. Thanks for the advice and have a wonderful weekend.
    Jean
  • LPack
    Options
    jean b said:

Hi Libby: I'll be praying
    Hi Libby: I'll be praying as well for not "light spots". The waiting is just as bad as the disease. I read an article once describing the waiting as "SCANXIETY". we all know it well.I'm feeling OK and still a little fatigued. My daughters want to take me out for a while today, I told them I would try. I am going to take a Zofran also. Thanks for the advice and have a wonderful weekend.
    Jean

thanks
    Go out if you can. I am going this morning to my niece's baby shower with my daugher. It is at my sister's house. It is a brunch and I am hungry!

Have fun!

Libby ☺
  • MichaelaMarie
    MichaelaMarie Member Posts: 163
    Options
    LPack said:

thanks
    Go out if you can. I am going this morning to my niece's baby shower with my daugher. It is at my sister's house. It is a brunch and I am hungry!

Have fun!

Libby ☺

Platin/Gemzar
    Hi,

I was just told that my next treatment will be Cisplatin and Gemzar. Have you girls all had some nausea with other treatments? I wonder if this combination is kind of the new one for recurrent patients?

My doctor was going to give me Carboplatin again, but after consulting with several other doctors decided on this combination.

They said my protocol will be one treatment of both, then the next week Gemzar only, then a week off. Some of you mentioned two weeks off?

I look forward to hearing that everyone gets CA-125 drops and then remission!!! This will sure help comparing notes with all of you that are on this same combination.

I have just came off of 6 cycles of Topotecan. Even though my CA-125 had come down recently, my cat scan showed quite a different story. My doctor said that sometimes the cancer stops throwing off the marker protein, and that is obviously what happened to me. It was such a huge disappointment when I got the bad news from the scan! Without my marker working, I'm wondering how often they will want to do the cat-scans?

Take good care everyone! With prayers and hugs, MM
  • anitarj
    anitarj Member Posts: 12
    Options

Platin/Gemzar
    Hi,

I was just told that my next treatment will be Cisplatin and Gemzar. Have you girls all had some nausea with other treatments? I wonder if this combination is kind of the new one for recurrent patients?

My doctor was going to give me Carboplatin again, but after consulting with several other doctors decided on this combination.

They said my protocol will be one treatment of both, then the next week Gemzar only, then a week off. Some of you mentioned two weeks off?

I look forward to hearing that everyone gets CA-125 drops and then remission!!! This will sure help comparing notes with all of you that are on this same combination.

I have just came off of 6 cycles of Topotecan. Even though my CA-125 had come down recently, my cat scan showed quite a different story. My doctor said that sometimes the cancer stops throwing off the marker protein, and that is obviously what happened to me. It was such a huge disappointment when I got the bad news from the scan! Without my marker working, I'm wondering how often they will want to do the cat-scans?

Take good care everyone! With prayers and hugs, MM

Cisplatin and Gemzar
    I am on my 2 round of chemo and my doctor put me on the same regime as you, 1 week both drugs, 1 week just Gemzar, 1 week off (deffinetly the best week of the bunch). I have been on this treatment since the end of May and I was hoping to be done soon but my CA125 numbers have started to level off and are not dropping very fast any more. My doctor is ordering a CT scan to compare it to my last one before I started this treatment, then I have more options which I will be learning over the next couple of weeks.
    As far as side effects from this treatments all the above posts sound like what I am going through. Nausea, Fatigue, I also get severe heart burn and stomach aches.
    I just found this site and am so glad to have someone to share with. Thanks for being there ladies. I hope I can help you with my responses as much as you have already helped me. My prayers will go up for each of you. Anita