How does your hair grow?

Comments

• Mikes Sunshine
    Mikes Sunshine Member Posts: 129
    mimivac said:

Hair hair!
    Jackie, my hair is much like yours I think. Sticking up and fuzzy. It seems overall black to me, but Simon says that it is gray. Gray! I'm not happy at all about that. Does it eventually darken, I wonder? I like the idea of dying it red though. I've always wanted red hair. But I don't want chemicals in my hair anymore. Has anyone used henna dye for hair?

I have the fuzzy face thing going, too. It's a blond, super fine, down on my cheeks and even my ears! Ick. Nast. I have my first appointment for leg waxing this weekend. It is like an forest down there.

Moopy, it looks like the spending on hair and products has already begun on my end. I think you will soon follow...

Mimi

Jackie
    Hi Jackie, I can tell you those black babies on my chin wasted no time coming back. LOL My legs are like Mimi's. They are growing like a forrest. My hair is coming in nicely. Very fuzzy and soft. I look like a backwards oreo- white on the sides and black in the middle. It seems a little thinner on the top than on the sides but I am sure it will even out in the end. I had some gray on the sides before the beast arrived. Not enough to ever color my hair. This time around there is much more gray . I have heard that some times it goes back to darker shades on it's own in a few months. So I guess for now my plan is to wait and see what happens. Mine does seem to be growing in quickly. I hope yours comes in fast, I know how much you have missed your hair. Love, Nancy
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980 Member
    mimivac said:

Hair hair!
    Jackie, my hair is much like yours I think. Sticking up and fuzzy. It seems overall black to me, but Simon says that it is gray. Gray! I'm not happy at all about that. Does it eventually darken, I wonder? I like the idea of dying it red though. I've always wanted red hair. But I don't want chemicals in my hair anymore. Has anyone used henna dye for hair?

I have the fuzzy face thing going, too. It's a blond, super fine, down on my cheeks and even my ears! Ick. Nast. I have my first appointment for leg waxing this weekend. It is like an forest down there.

Moopy, it looks like the spending on hair and products has already begun on my end. I think you will soon follow...

Mimi

I used to henna my hair back in the 70's & '80's.
    I have a rare form of uterine cancer, and wouldn't ordinarily be posting on this Discussion Board, but I did a 'Search' on 'henna' to see if anyone had colored their grey post-chemo "peach fuzz" with henna. I finished chemo March 26th, and will finish radiation July 1st. My hair is about 1/2" long, a super-fine mix of curly whites & poker-straight browns. I see photos of brave bald women with henna tattoos on their bald heads, so I'm thinking henna must be safe for us to use. So I'd love to henna my post-chemo spikes. making them RED.

I'm looking at this all-natural henna: "Light Mountain Natural Color The Gray! Hair Color & Conditioner." Henna coats the hair and professional hair-dressers hate it and most won't color henna'd hair until it grows out completely. And I remember so well the musty smell of the green henna powder, and the mess of applying it, even after 20 years. But I also remember the shiny strong auburn hair I had in those days, and how thick it made it look.

I am just so happy to have ANY hair again after being bald for the past 7 months! I'd cry if I made it fall out, as goofy as it looks! I was hoping to find a post where someone else had used henna and their chemo-curls looked great afterward!
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member

I have a rare form of uterine cancer, and wouldn't ordinarily be posting on this Discussion Board, but I did a 'Search' on 'henna' to see if anyone had colored their grey post-chemo "peach fuzz" with henna. I finished chemo March 26th, and will finish radiation July 1st. My hair is about 1/2" long, a super-fine mix of curly whites & poker-straight browns. I see photos of brave bald women with henna tattoos on their bald heads, so I'm thinking henna must be safe for us to use. So I'd love to henna my post-chemo spikes. making them RED.

I'm looking at this all-natural henna: "Light Mountain Natural Color The Gray! Hair Color & Conditioner." Henna coats the hair and professional hair-dressers hate it and most won't color henna'd hair until it grows out completely. And I remember so well the musty smell of the green henna powder, and the mess of applying it, even after 20 years. But I also remember the shiny strong auburn hair I had in those days, and how thick it made it look.

I am just so happy to have ANY hair again after being bald for the past 7 months! I'd cry if I made it fall out, as goofy as it looks! I was hoping to find a post where someone else had used henna and their chemo-curls looked great afterward!

Hey Linda! I didn't have
    Hey Linda! I didn't have chemo, so, I have no idea of what you have been thru, but, I think that anyone that has been thru chemo, is truly a warrior! I don't know about henna either, but, I bet someone here can help you. You look beautiful! And, your little girl is darling! Good luck Linda!
  • dmc_emmy
    dmc_emmy Member Posts: 549
    Hair-I posted awhile back on my hair comeback...
    I had hair down to my waist (I'm an old hippie from the '70s and was still trying to look the part). After, chemo (finished in May of '07) I thought my hair would never grow back. Then, one day (about 4-5 months later), I started to see some peach fuzz and was estatic! But, to my dismay, the peach fuzz was not one color! I looked like a permed calico cat with blonde, light brown, and a darker reddish brown. I, under no uncertain terms, let the Man Upstairs know that I saw no humor in this new state affairs.

To my dismay, once again, the hair I had waited so long to grow fell out--even calico was better than no hair (He sured picked a great time to listen to me and follow through with immediate action). The next time my hair began to show signs of returning, I kept my mouth shut. It came back a dark brown (almost black) and curly. Before chemo I had wavy aburnish hair with natural highlights of browns.

Well, the chemo curls are gone. But the waves stayed and my hair is getting thicker and returning to a color similar to what I had before chemo. I plan to keep it short now and leave the '70s for good.
    dmc
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    mimivac said:

Hair hair!

Mimi

Henna
    I used Henna when I was in my early 30's right before I joined the Peace Corps where I met my husband. He always thinks of me as a red head. Now I'm a gray head (mostly) after chemo. I bought natural Henna at the health food store and my hair was very healthy and vibrant. Lynn
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    dmc_emmy said:

Hair-I posted awhile back on my hair comeback...
    I had hair down to my waist (I'm an old hippie from the '70s and was still trying to look the part). After, chemo (finished in May of '07) I thought my hair would never grow back. Then, one day (about 4-5 months later), I started to see some peach fuzz and was estatic! But, to my dismay, the peach fuzz was not one color! I looked like a permed calico cat with blonde, light brown, and a darker reddish brown. I, under no uncertain terms, let the Man Upstairs know that I saw no humor in this new state affairs.

To my dismay, once again, the hair I had waited so long to grow fell out--even calico was better than no hair (He sured picked a great time to listen to me and follow through with immediate action). The next time my hair began to show signs of returning, I kept my mouth shut. It came back a dark brown (almost black) and curly. Before chemo I had wavy aburnish hair with natural highlights of browns.

Well, the chemo curls are gone. But the waves stayed and my hair is getting thicker and returning to a color similar to what I had before chemo. I plan to keep it short now and leave the '70s for good.
    dmc

I didn't have chemo, so, I
    I didn't have chemo, so, I think you women that did are amazing warriors! I called my hairdresser, Linda, about the henna. She said you should call a hair stylist and ask them if they have used it or could. Good luck!
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member

Linda
    I also want to try henna. It's something that's culturally familiar to me although I have never had it applied to my hair. After a little research it seems to be a safe alternative to the chemicals of hair dye/highlights. I used to have my hair highlighted red every few months. It was a great color, but I am hesitant to go back to that. I wonder if a hairdresser will do henna? I am not crafty enough to do this myself. Good luck with your hair and post here as you like.

Mimi
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Moopy23 said:

Not Fast Enough!
    My hair is sprouting most everywhere, but nothing is long enough to "stick" in any direction. The chemo nurse says that most patients have enough hair to go without a covering by 3 months after chemo. Either I am going to have a growth spurt, or I am behind.

Glad you've got hair coming along, even gray. Better than none, right?

Not Fast Enough.......
    Hi Moopy - same as me. My last chemo was on March 6 and its only started growing back within the past 3 weeks. Someone told me that you can lose hair during radiation. Maybe that's why mine is so slow coming back. Maybe I'll use the jello colors my niece uses and spike mine when its long enough. Although if I take it and push it up in the middle, its like the new hairdo's the young men have, sort of a mohawk without shaving the sides. LOL Oh give me a head of hair, long beautiful hair!!
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    mimivac said:

Hair hair!

Mimi

Downy Facial Hair
    WOW - I thought that was just me! Super fine, blond peach fuzz on my face. Any idea how to get rid of it without shaving?
  • The1percen
    The1percen Member Posts: 135
    no hair
    HI Jackie,
    Here a good one for ya... you'll probably hate for it BUT, I am trying to talk my wife into letting me (or as soon as I get the diagnosis... IF I get a bad one) BUZZ MINE! After all that way no one will even know, after all that is a common 'hair style' for men (and IMHO... guys who are trying to portray themsleves as being hardA**es) So maybe I'll get an "attitude" about having to go through this, which might help even more than "positive"!!! At any rate I thought I'd just my $.02 in... LOL
    Take Care and BEST wishes,
    Mike
    aka MUD
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    mimivac said:

Linda
    I also want to try henna. It's something that's culturally familiar to me although I have never had it applied to my hair. After a little research it seems to be a safe alternative to the chemicals of hair dye/highlights. I used to have my hair highlighted red every few months. It was a great color, but I am hesitant to go back to that. I wonder if a hairdresser will do henna? I am not crafty enough to do this myself. Good luck with your hair and post here as you like.

Mimi

Mimi
    I used to Henna my hair about 30 years ago when it started turning grey. It is very easy, kind of smelly, but it usually makes you a redhead, so go ahead and try it! You've got nothing to lose!
    =^..^=
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    mimivac said:

Linda

Mimi

Hey Linda, I bet the henna
    Hey Linda, I bet the henna would look nice, and, it isn't strong like the chemical hair color. Good luck!
  • uvrae
    uvrae Member Posts: 7
    Slow go
    I finished Chemo in April and have nice thick GRAY hair coming in. Like so many I too have colored my hair for years so I knew I had gray hair just not this much. I don't care its hair :)
  • MJP52
    MJP52 Member Posts: 7

Hair
    My last chemo session was in September. I also am sporting the spike look. The majority of my hair is grey. Does anyone know how long after chemo you can start using chemicals (perm, relaxer, etc.) in your hair?
    I had my right breast removed last summer and am coming up on my one year anniversary. I have a prosthesis, but find it to be the most cumbersome thing I have ever encountered. Has anyone done brest reconstruction using the skin from the stomach. I am thinking about reconstruction since I don't want the implants.

Hair and recon
    Hi Usher,
    :) My hair came in the same way (starting in December) as described by others, mix of dark dishwater brown (used to be a blondie) and gray. It is sort-of like cotton candy and as I write it is slicked down with straghtening gel because I look quite a bit like Bozo the clown without it! Ah well, better than bald. I have an appt for a little highlighting next week, hope it doesn't fall out!
    The main reason I'm replying is to tell you about my reconstruction surgery. I had what is called a free flap done on June 9 and I would call it a success. I got two different consultations from separate plastic surgeons and they both recommended this route for me. One was NOT a microsurgeon and couldn't even perform it, but said it would give the best result because of my build. Basically they remove a flap of tissue with muscle and blood supply from the belly and re-attach it to match your other breast. I had two microsurgeons who work as a team. Wish I could show you! It has taken almost two weeks for me to be able to say this and really mean it, but I am GLAD I had it done and I think it is going to be a good thing for me. I prayed about doing this--please God, stop me if I am barking up the wrong tree, but it was just green lights all the way. I agree about the prosthesis--I was dealing with a patch of psoriasis under mine and just hated it.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    uvrae said:

Slow go
    I finished Chemo in April and have nice thick GRAY hair coming in. Like so many I too have colored my hair for years so I knew I had gray hair just not this much. I don't care its hair :)

Uvrae, I just wanted to say
    Uvrae, I just wanted to say how beautiful you look in your picture!
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    MJP52 said:

Hair and recon
    Hi Usher,
    :) My hair came in the same way (starting in December) as described by others, mix of dark dishwater brown (used to be a blondie) and gray. It is sort-of like cotton candy and as I write it is slicked down with straghtening gel because I look quite a bit like Bozo the clown without it! Ah well, better than bald. I have an appt for a little highlighting next week, hope it doesn't fall out!
    The main reason I'm replying is to tell you about my reconstruction surgery. I had what is called a free flap done on June 9 and I would call it a success. I got two different consultations from separate plastic surgeons and they both recommended this route for me. One was NOT a microsurgeon and couldn't even perform it, but said it would give the best result because of my build. Basically they remove a flap of tissue with muscle and blood supply from the belly and re-attach it to match your other breast. I had two microsurgeons who work as a team. Wish I could show you! It has taken almost two weeks for me to be able to say this and really mean it, but I am GLAD I had it done and I think it is going to be a good thing for me. I prayed about doing this--please God, stop me if I am barking up the wrong tree, but it was just green lights all the way. I agree about the prosthesis--I was dealing with a patch of psoriasis under mine and just hated it.

Hey Thanks MJP52
    I am happy to hear that you are pleased with this. I think it would also work for me. It will be awhile since I will need to heal my rad burns etc. but would be really interested in this procedure. Good News and congatulations ! I bet you are feeling whole again!
    Hugs, Jackie
  • rjjj

Jackie
    Hi Jackie, I can tell you those black babies on my chin wasted no time coming back. LOL My legs are like Mimi's. They are growing like a forrest. My hair is coming in nicely. Very fuzzy and soft. I look like a backwards oreo- white on the sides and black in the middle. It seems a little thinner on the top than on the sides but I am sure it will even out in the end. I had some gray on the sides before the beast arrived. Not enough to ever color my hair. This time around there is much more gray . I have heard that some times it goes back to darker shades on it's own in a few months. So I guess for now my plan is to wait and see what happens. Mine does seem to be growing in quickly. I hope yours comes in fast, I know how much you have missed your hair. Love, Nancy

Nancy
    Sorry i am late responding to your post, I bet you are done with ads now! YEAH!!!I bet your hair is looking quite good by now on that cute little face of yours! luv, jackie
  • rjjj

Your so cute!
    Your pic is darling and i bet henna would work but don't take my word for it. Maybe ask a hairdesser. Let me know when you do it! best of luck to you.
    hugs, jackie
  • rjjj
    padee6339 said:

Downy Facial Hair
    WOW - I thought that was just me! Super fine, blond peach fuzz on my face. Any idea how to get rid of it without shaving?

facial hair remover
    cream with aloevera facial hair remover for women. works quite well. I haven't used it for awhile now but soon I will be again. I had to shave my legs for the first time last night and the hair on them was getting pretty long but thinned out alot.
    luv, jackie
  • rjjj

no hair
    HI Jackie,
    Here a good one for ya... you'll probably hate for it BUT, I am trying to talk my wife into letting me (or as soon as I get the diagnosis... IF I get a bad one) BUZZ MINE! After all that way no one will even know, after all that is a common 'hair style' for men (and IMHO... guys who are trying to portray themsleves as being hardA**es) So maybe I'll get an "attitude" about having to go through this, which might help even more than "positive"!!! At any rate I thought I'd just my $.02 in... LOL
    Take Care and BEST wishes,
    Mike
    aka MUD

Mike
    yes men look much better in the buzz than i did. My son buzzed his and he looked great.
    jackie