Medical Marijuana

just4Brooks
just4Brooks Member Posts: 980 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I posted an answer yesterday replying to “If drinking was okay on chemo” and it seemed to open up a great discussion. My name is Brooks and on April 14th 2009 I was told that I have cancer (Rectal). My life as I once knew if was changed in an instant. A week later my 68 year old father went out and somehow somewhere got me a bag of pot. NO I’m not a Pot head and haven’t smoked since High School. But this wonderful man risked getting busted because he heard that Marijuana helped people with cancer and do you know what? It sure has helped me. Two weeks later I made my appointment with a Medi Cann Dr and got my card. I take a hit or two every day after Radiation then a hit again about an hour before dinner. In the two weeks of being on a 24hr, 7 day a week pump for my chemo then radiation everyday I have lost NO weight I only barfed once. It has helped me come to terms with my cancer and I’m no longer so stressed out and depressed. It has worked for me!!!

I would like to hear from others

Comments

• amcp
    amcp Member Posts: 251 Member
    Medication
    There is a prescription called MARINOL...if I am not mistaken it is a derivative of marijuana that is prescibed to cancer patient. You might ask your doctor.
    Good luck.
    Anna
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    amcp said:

Medication
    There is a prescription called MARINOL...if I am not mistaken it is a derivative of marijuana that is prescibed to cancer patient. You might ask your doctor.
    Good luck.
    Anna

Yes...
    ...We've had this discussion before, and in private mainly was I messaged by a few board members because when I was first dx'd and scared, and had a really bad first time chemo round, I was laid up in bed for 4 days, nauseated and sick, couldn't eat or drink a thing, it was horrible, the anti-nausea meds the doctor first gave me, didn't work. Since then, I was told about the marijuana, and how it helped, and no, you don't have to be a pothead to smoke it, I had a friend of a friend of a friend who was able to get me some to try, and it worked! I took only 2 hits, and that was all I needed, it stopped my nausea, and I was able to eat, by my 2nd round of chemo, plus, the doctor prescribed me EMEND and Dexamethasone which also work really great for my nausea, so I don't get sick at all anymore, I don't know why it shouldn't be legalized, I really never did it in high school, it actually had the reverse effect on me. I remember when I first tried it when I was 16, I threw up!!!

But now, it's a whole different story, it helps me. I only use it during treatment, and I was afraid it would make me sick again, but it didn't! it made me better! I really never knew anyone to hurt anyone on pot, it's such a mellow drug, I think caffeine is worse for people then pot!

Hugsss!
    Donna
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    I did the illegal kind
    when the anti-nausea pills (3 different kinds over time) stopped working. It also helped me keep an interest in eating food to curb a weight loss.

I totally support legalizing it but know that will mean the prices will go up once we have to pay "sin" taxes on it. Bring it on.

Personally it is one of many things that I thank for helping me to save my life but since no drug company can make money off of it, I don't see it ever happening.

Remember this is the good ole USA that is all about $$$$$$$, not health or well being. I sure wish we could change that but I don't see it anytime soon.

Lisa P.
  • bdee
    bdee Member Posts: 304
    amcp said:

Medication
    Good luck.
    Anna

Marinol
    I've been taking Marinol for about three months now. Mine was prescribed not for nauseau but because I couldn't eat. Marinol and Marijuana is supposed to give you an appetite. You noticed I said supposed to. I quit taking Marinol and Magese and my taste buds came back and I'm EATING AGAIN. It was three long months of just drinking Ensure, Boost and Smoothies. I really didn't think I would ever eat solid food again, but every day I'm trying something different and every day I can eat it. Marinol gives me an appetite right after chemo, which I need. The four days after chemo I wouldn't care if I ate or not, but taking Marinol kind of makes me eat something.
    I tried marijuana for my appetite too, didn't do a thing but make my lungs burn and give me a cough.

Debbie
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    High Brooks ;-)
    I am a proponent of marijuana for medical purposes. I don't even see it as a big deal recreational either since alcohol has the OK for "society".I just heard the NJ is another state that is very close to making it legal for medicinal purposes. NY is still working on it but the number of state is growing. Sort of a grass roots kind of thing. It's going state by state.

I think it's so great that your Dad did that for you, I'm sorry of your circumstances but I'm glad you posted this topic. It has been brought up from time to time and it seems (to me) that more people have spoken out positively about it this time compared to other posts I've read. I too had stopped after high school but started to use it after trying to deal with it by using the meds that were out there like Emend which is great for some people. I didn't find it worked that well for me and the price was high, even with insurance so I tried the pot. It works wonders, it also raises the spirit I found. I just felt better all around where as before, if I didn't move I'd feel OK.

I've wondered if those who are in power were to be in OUR shoes and tried it, how what would they think of it then?

I hope you're doing OK
    -phil
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    PhillieG said:

High Brooks ;-)
    I am a proponent of marijuana for medical purposes. I don't even see it as a big deal recreational either since alcohol has the OK for "society".I just heard the NJ is another state that is very close to making it legal for medicinal purposes. NY is still working on it but the number of state is growing. Sort of a grass roots kind of thing. It's going state by state.

I think it's so great that your Dad did that for you, I'm sorry of your circumstances but I'm glad you posted this topic. It has been brought up from time to time and it seems (to me) that more people have spoken out positively about it this time compared to other posts I've read. I too had stopped after high school but started to use it after trying to deal with it by using the meds that were out there like Emend which is great for some people. I didn't find it worked that well for me and the price was high, even with insurance so I tried the pot. It works wonders, it also raises the spirit I found. I just felt better all around where as before, if I didn't move I'd feel OK.

I've wondered if those who are in power were to be in OUR shoes and tried it, how what would they think of it then?

I hope you're doing OK
    -phil

Just My Luck
    It would be just my luck to go buy it illegally and I would be caught and sent to jail. Ugg, I couldn't face that reality. This just passed in Michigan so I'm not sure what you all have to go through, but I'm sure if it is controlled by the government in any way it isn't going to be easy, nor cheap.

Would like to see if it helps the anxiety though. That would be a big help.

Hugs! Kim
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    PhillieG said:

High Brooks ;-)

I hope you're doing OK
    -phil

Phil
    I agree..and don't think the 'grass roots' comment slipped by everyone! LOL!

Vicki
  • angelsbaby
    angelsbaby Member Posts: 1,165 Member
    VickiCO said:

Phil
    I agree..and don't think the 'grass roots' comment slipped by everyone! LOL!

Vicki

Arizona
    May pass a bill for medical marijuana use, It did help angel a little But as we know angels vomiting was a big issue at the time , but the marijuana did help him at times and the hospice dr told him to get smoking some weed could not prescibe but easy enough to get.

michelle
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797

Just My Luck
    It would be just my luck to go buy it illegally and I would be caught and sent to jail. Ugg, I couldn't face that reality. This just passed in Michigan so I'm not sure what you all have to go through, but I'm sure if it is controlled by the government in any way it isn't going to be easy, nor cheap.

Would like to see if it helps the anxiety though. That would be a big help.

Hugs! Kim

Michigan Pot
    Kim,

I actually did some research on the Michigan medicinal marajana law since I live so close to the border. You need to apply for a state issued card through your doctor. I like the Michigan law because you can grow your own to keep expenses down. If only I lived 10 miles north....sigh.

Kimby
  • lmliess
    lmliess Member Posts: 329

Arizona
    May pass a bill for medical marijuana use, It did help angel a little But as we know angels vomiting was a big issue at the time , but the marijuana did help him at times and the hospice dr told him to get smoking some weed could not prescibe but easy enough to get.

michelle

Never thought this would cross my mind!
    But I started chemo Tuesday and I still have no appetite. I just forced down 2 of my daughters fishsticks. I am worried because (never thought I would say this) I am too low on the scale. I am 5'1 and I weight 89 - 91 (on a good day) so I do not want to lose anymore weight. But I also don't want to force down foods that are high in calories and not so healthy. But I guess when you are doing chemo, the chemo is doing it's job so we have to do ours and eat.
    Has anyone baked that stuff in anything? Like brownies?
  • sheri22
    sheri22 Member Posts: 273
    PhillieG said:

High Brooks ;-)

I hope you're doing OK
    -phil

Phil
    I just had to reply I do think it should be legalised I dont smoke it I prefer a few
    beers myself but I know of more people who get in trouble from drinking than smoking pot
    to be honest if my amzemet and ginger did not work I would smoke it myself as we all know our goverment is not always right

Sheri22
  • usakat
    usakat Member Posts: 610 Member
    Yes to Legal Marijuana!
    Wow, Brooks, your dad is way cool! I love people who are open minded and willing to entertain the idea that marijuana does indeed provide relief for people with all sorts of ailments. I know as of now there are at least seventeen states with legal medical marijuana, perhaps eighteen with Michigan having signed on, and hopefully soon to be nineteen with Arizona joining the ranks. Hopefully this will be a growing trend toward Federal legalization. It has provided a fantastic revenue source for the State of California and even the Federal Government, and has helped many people in the process. It really is a win-win situation.

I was frustrated as a California resident when I would read reports in the newspapers about Federal busts on State legal marijuana dispensaries and legal marijuana growers, even though I did not consume medical marijuana myself during chemo - I tried it a few times, but I figured since insurance didn't cover it I would stick to the traditional anti-emetics with a mere $3 co-pay. I do remember a woman who made big news and who was brave enough to file suit against the Federal government (DEA) for raiding her legal pot farm, but the Supreme Court ruled against her, citing that even though the pot was grown under intrastate commerce rules, it might find it's way into the area of interstate commerce. What??? It was BS, and I, and many other pro-pot residents were very angry.

I was happy to hear though that Obama said his administration would not interfere with legal growers, distributors and users in states where medical marijuana is legal. That was good and certainly a step in the right direction.

In fact, President Obama just named his 16th Czar today - The Great Lakes Czar - I know, what the heck will THAT guy do? Perhaps have lunch and discuss how freaking great that stimulus package is with the Cyber Czar and Stimulus Czar? Anyway, I think I'm going to put in my resume for Marijuana Czar, after all I do need a job. I would like to work towards making legal pot available to all Americans, thus Obama would not need to hire an Anger Management Czar for when the American people find out exactly where all that stimulus money is going...to the Czars of course...but if I succeeded in my efforts in legalizing pot perhaps Americans would be too high to care about wasteful government spending and everyone would be happy. Seriously though, I think it would be great to remove the conflicts between Federal and various States' laws regarding medical marijuana, and I think the best way would be to simply legalize it altogether on the Federal level. I could then, as Marijuana Czar, work with Federal regulatory agencies to identify and establish potency and intoxication spectrums...by trial and error of course.

Herb the gift from the Earth
    And what's from the Earth
    Is of the greatest worth
    So before you knock it try it first
    Oh, you'll see it's a blessing
    And it's not a curse.

If you don't like my fire
    Then don't come around
    'Cause I'm gonna burn one down
    Yes, I'm gonna burn one down....
    ~ Ben Harper, Burn One Down
  • usakat
    PhillieG said:

High Brooks ;-)

I hope you're doing OK
    -phil

New Jersey, Phil???
    Well I guess they call it the "Garden State" for good reason! LOL....
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    good for your dad
    Brooks,
    Good for your dad. I agree with the statement that the only reason MJ is not legal is because of the drug companies. It is allllll about $$$$$$$$$$$. How reasonable would it be for people to grow their own drug that would help with many of the side effects of cancer and no middle man would be needed? It makes too much sense.
    I hope Obama jumps on this one. Here in Hawaii (Obama's home state) MJ is legal for medical purposes but there is no legal way to get it. Are you kidding?????
    Anyway, so glad you have some relief.
    Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    usakat said:

Yes to Legal Marijuana!
    Wow, Brooks, your dad is way cool! I love people who are open minded and willing to entertain the idea that marijuana does indeed provide relief for people with all sorts of ailments. I know as of now there are at least seventeen states with legal medical marijuana, perhaps eighteen with Michigan having signed on, and hopefully soon to be nineteen with Arizona joining the ranks. Hopefully this will be a growing trend toward Federal legalization. It has provided a fantastic revenue source for the State of California and even the Federal Government, and has helped many people in the process. It really is a win-win situation.

I was frustrated as a California resident when I would read reports in the newspapers about Federal busts on State legal marijuana dispensaries and legal marijuana growers, even though I did not consume medical marijuana myself during chemo - I tried it a few times, but I figured since insurance didn't cover it I would stick to the traditional anti-emetics with a mere $3 co-pay. I do remember a woman who made big news and who was brave enough to file suit against the Federal government (DEA) for raiding her legal pot farm, but the Supreme Court ruled against her, citing that even though the pot was grown under intrastate commerce rules, it might find it's way into the area of interstate commerce. What??? It was BS, and I, and many other pro-pot residents were very angry.

I was happy to hear though that Obama said his administration would not interfere with legal growers, distributors and users in states where medical marijuana is legal. That was good and certainly a step in the right direction.

In fact, President Obama just named his 16th Czar today - The Great Lakes Czar - I know, what the heck will THAT guy do? Perhaps have lunch and discuss how freaking great that stimulus package is with the Cyber Czar and Stimulus Czar? Anyway, I think I'm going to put in my resume for Marijuana Czar, after all I do need a job. I would like to work towards making legal pot available to all Americans, thus Obama would not need to hire an Anger Management Czar for when the American people find out exactly where all that stimulus money is going...to the Czars of course...but if I succeeded in my efforts in legalizing pot perhaps Americans would be too high to care about wasteful government spending and everyone would be happy. Seriously though, I think it would be great to remove the conflicts between Federal and various States' laws regarding medical marijuana, and I think the best way would be to simply legalize it altogether on the Federal level. I could then, as Marijuana Czar, work with Federal regulatory agencies to identify and establish potency and intoxication spectrums...by trial and error of course.

Herb the gift from the Earth
    And what's from the Earth
    Is of the greatest worth
    So before you knock it try it first
    Oh, you'll see it's a blessing
    And it's not a curse.

If you don't like my fire
    Then don't come around
    'Cause I'm gonna burn one down
    Yes, I'm gonna burn one down....
    ~ Ben Harper, Burn One Down

USAKat
    I will vote for you. Do you need personal references? As soon as I can "make a sentence" I will write one for you!

Vicki
  • PhillieG
    usakat said:

New Jersey, Phil???
    Well I guess they call it the "Garden State" for good reason! LOL....

NJ
    I'm sure they will outsource it Kat, there are few farmlands left. It is the biggest cash crop in many states and has been for many years.
    ;-)
  • usakat

good for your dad
    Brooks,
    Good for your dad. I agree with the statement that the only reason MJ is not legal is because of the drug companies. It is allllll about $$$$$$$$$$$. How reasonable would it be for people to grow their own drug that would help with many of the side effects of cancer and no middle man would be needed? It makes too much sense.
    I hope Obama jumps on this one. Here in Hawaii (Obama's home state) MJ is legal for medical purposes but there is no legal way to get it. Are you kidding?????
    Anyway, so glad you have some relief.
    Aloha,
    Kathleen

Marinol and Big Pharmaceutical Companies
    Marinol, manufactured and marketed by Solvay Pharmaceuticals Inc., and approved for use in the US by the FDA, is the pharmaceutical synthetic version of medical marijuana. It is prescribed as an anti-emetic and to stimulate appetite. Marinol however, does not give that euphoric sensation that THC/marijuana does when consumed in the...um...more traditional methods, inhaling (smoke) or eating it. In real world use Marinol does not appear to be as effective as other drugs that stimulate appetite and/or control nausea.

I've never heard of big pharma lobbying against legalizing pot. I would guess they don't get into it because pharmaceutical companies are subject to Federal laws and FDA regulations. Medical marijuana is not legal on the Federal level so big pharma cannot grow it, market it and sell it as easily as local growers and distributors who are only subject to intrastate commerce laws and regulations in states where medical marijuana is legal. In essence, big pharma cannot compete and make it a cost effective and profitable venture. Although, I've heard that several pharmaceutical companies are working on developing and patenting products made from natural THC, waiting for the time that the Federal government rethinks the benefits of marijuana. I really don't think big pharma lobbies against medical marijuana, they just don't put themselves in that marketplace....yet.

I think the big hang up on legalizing marijuana federally is because it is negatively associated with all the other street drugs out there, which are quite destructive (cocaine, heroin, LSD, meth, ecstasy, etc.), and is also associated with the criminal activities that are naturally created by prohibition. Remember the Temperance Movement of the 1920's and the crime that resulted from prohibition of alcohol? Same-same...it's just now on a much larger and much more dangerous scale.

I think the reason legalizing marijuana is so difficult is because of the negative stigma that pot has and the success of the anti-drug/anti-marijuana propaganda and campaigns that started years ago with Reefer Madness, and then reached a fevered pitch in the days of "Just Say No". And now we have DARE, which is supported by various law enforcement agencies all across the country, who actually do lobby to prevent marijuana from becoming a legal substance. While I do believe DARE is a good program for kids, I also believe that pot has gotten a bad rap for legal adult use for both medical and recreational purposes.

I think its not big pharma that is holding up legalizing pot, but rather, citizens, law enforcement and law makers who view pot as a product that offers more problems for society than it does solutions. Until more minds can be opened to the benefits of legalizing pot (positive medical purposes, positive source of revenue, decriminalization, etc.) I think it will remain an uphill battle, especially on the Federal level. State by state though...it appears we're getting there....
  • PhillieG
    usakat said:

Marinol and Big Pharmaceutical Companies
    Marinol, manufactured and marketed by Solvay Pharmaceuticals Inc., and approved for use in the US by the FDA, is the pharmaceutical synthetic version of medical marijuana. It is prescribed as an anti-emetic and to stimulate appetite. Marinol however, does not give that euphoric sensation that THC/marijuana does when consumed in the...um...more traditional methods, inhaling (smoke) or eating it. In real world use Marinol does not appear to be as effective as other drugs that stimulate appetite and/or control nausea.

I've never heard of big pharma lobbying against legalizing pot. I would guess they don't get into it because pharmaceutical companies are subject to Federal laws and FDA regulations. Medical marijuana is not legal on the Federal level so big pharma cannot grow it, market it and sell it as easily as local growers and distributors who are only subject to intrastate commerce laws and regulations in states where medical marijuana is legal. In essence, big pharma cannot compete and make it a cost effective and profitable venture. Although, I've heard that several pharmaceutical companies are working on developing and patenting products made from natural THC, waiting for the time that the Federal government rethinks the benefits of marijuana. I really don't think big pharma lobbies against medical marijuana, they just don't put themselves in that marketplace....yet.

I think the big hang up on legalizing marijuana federally is because it is negatively associated with all the other street drugs out there, which are quite destructive (cocaine, heroin, LSD, meth, ecstasy, etc.), and is also associated with the criminal activities that are naturally created by prohibition. Remember the Temperance Movement of the 1920's and the crime that resulted from prohibition of alcohol? Same-same...it's just now on a much larger and much more dangerous scale.

I think the reason legalizing marijuana is so difficult is because of the negative stigma that pot has and the success of the anti-drug/anti-marijuana propaganda and campaigns that started years ago with Reefer Madness, and then reached a fevered pitch in the days of "Just Say No". And now we have DARE, which is supported by various law enforcement agencies all across the country, who actually do lobby to prevent marijuana from becoming a legal substance. While I do believe DARE is a good program for kids, I also believe that pot has gotten a bad rap for legal adult use for both medical and recreational purposes.

I think its not big pharma that is holding up legalizing pot, but rather, citizens, law enforcement and law makers who view pot as a product that offers more problems for society than it does solutions. Until more minds can be opened to the benefits of legalizing pot (positive medical purposes, positive source of revenue, decriminalization, etc.) I think it will remain an uphill battle, especially on the Federal level. State by state though...it appears we're getting there....

I really would not want big pharma involved
    I think they would ruin it or screw it up somehow. If you check out the NORML site they have studies posted where million's of dollars are spent on trying to synthesize the components of pot (THC among many others) so they can "recreate" it in the lab. Why bother. It make no sense to me other than they want their hand in the cookie jar.

I certainly do NOT want my kids smoking pot, or drinking until they are adults. Neither is for growing minds. I agree Kat, many of the drug laws were influenced by Reefer Madness, which BTW is a funny movie if watched high. It's just so untruthful of how it affects people. The comparison the smoking pot will lead to heroin use, how many out there tried pot and are not heroin users? It is like saying having a beer is going to lead to beating your family up ever night. In both scenarios, the bad outcome is possible but it not the norm.

I just hope that it's kept simple and on a grass roots, state by state level. IT doesn't have to be federal although that would be nice, I do not see it happening.
  • Sally Q
    Sally Q Member Posts: 1
    prescription...
    Some of us believe that marijuana can use as prescribed to cancer patient. Similarly, stem cells according to research, it can also be used in treating disease. Nancy Reagan has argued expanded stem cell research could have helped her husband, who suffered from Alzheimer’s disease. Nancy Reagan, spouse of the late President Ronald Reagan, praised Obama for reversing the ban on stem cell research. She went to the White House to meet with Michelle Obama and President Obama. The President had made some disparaging remarks about Mrs. Reagan and her attending a séance, and he later apologized. (Mrs. Reagan had consulted with astrologers during Reagan's term.) The remark was intended as tongue-in-cheek, but lost on many. She was honored at a White House lunch, part of the ceremonies was a new statue of Ronald Reagan. The luncheon would have taken some hefty installment loans to schmooze with the President and Nancy Reagan.
  • PhillieG
    Sally Q said:

prescription...
    Some of us believe that marijuana can use as prescribed to cancer patient. Similarly, stem cells according to research, it can also be used in treating disease. Nancy Reagan has argued expanded stem cell research could have helped her husband, who suffered from Alzheimer’s disease. Nancy Reagan, spouse of the late President Ronald Reagan, praised Obama for reversing the ban on stem cell research. She went to the White House to meet with Michelle Obama and President Obama. The President had made some disparaging remarks about Mrs. Reagan and her attending a séance, and he later apologized. (Mrs. Reagan had consulted with astrologers during Reagan's term.) The remark was intended as tongue-in-cheek, but lost on many. She was honored at a White House lunch, part of the ceremonies was a new statue of Ronald Reagan. The luncheon would have taken some hefty installment loans to schmooze with the President and Nancy Reagan.

there's hope
    I think there is some hope with this administration to get over some important medical hurdles. I am glad that Nancy Reagan spoke up, I remember a few years back when she did first speak out about stem cell research.