2»

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Welcome!
    Stage II here. Lumpectomy, chemotherapy, rads. 3 years, July 4 (no kidding) since any treatment...still cancer FREE.

Oh, yeah, 6 months before my breast cancer, I was dx'ed with stage III rectal cancer. Bowel resection, chemotherapy, and rads there, too...guess I got into line twice...ROFL!

Welcome to the family!

Hugs, Kathi
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Kat11 said:

Thank you Jeanne. I forgot
    Thank you Jeanne. I forgot to ask about the time frame on the rads. I also will be having a lumpectomy. This will be done next week.

You are welcome!
    Well good luck next week Kat with your surgery! You will be fine! I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers!
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Kat11 said:

Wow, that helped a lot,
    Wow, that helped a lot, Thanks for the laugh. You do know that when they shoot me or what ever they do I will be thinking of you.

Thinking of me?
    okay.....ummm...I'll be hiding under the bed with the dust!!
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    KathiM said:

Welcome!
    Stage II here. Lumpectomy, chemotherapy, rads. 3 years, July 4 (no kidding) since any treatment...still cancer FREE.

Oh, yeah, 6 months before my breast cancer, I was dx'ed with stage III rectal cancer. Bowel resection, chemotherapy, and rads there, too...guess I got into line twice...ROFL!

Welcome to the family!

Hugs, Kathi

Nice to meet you
    Nice to meet you both, Julie and Pammy.
    What everyone has said above is true--we are here or there is usually someone on line all the time. We have to support each other--our families are good but we need to talk with others that have or are going through it themselves or the caregivers.

Good luck to both of you.

Hugs,
    Margo
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Akiss4me said:

Welcome
    Hi, I am new too...just joined this evening. I can tell you that in the few hours I have been on here I have had the warmest and most heartfelt welcomes anyone could wish for. I am still in the final testing phase before surgery + treatment phase. Scary stuff but wonderful people here to help you through any step on your journey. It seems we are all on the same path....some ahead...some behind....and lots & lots of us to walk right beside you. Glad you are here :) Pammy

Welcome Julie and Pammy
    I've

Welcome Julie and Pammy
    I've only ben a member for a couple of months, but it has been such a source of comfort.
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Akiss4me said:

Welcome
    Thanks for the welcome! I'm really nervous about the thought of radiation. I'm scared of the side effects? More afraid of the BC though. Not sure what the side effects really are for radiation? Is it hard to go through?

I just met with my radiation
    I just met with my radiation onc. for the 1st consult yesterday. He spent an hour just explaining it all to me. I hope your Doc's are as good. But for us there are really only 3 side effects to worry about during radiation.1. Skin changes, swelling and tenderness in the target area,2. Fatigue,3. and Hair loss on the targeted area...hopefuly this is not an issue for us LOL!
    And they are all cumulative, so probably wont bother you at all til you get toward the end of the cycle. So good luck and keep us posted.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Welcome Julie and Pammy
    You found a great place to get support and friendship through this journey. Pammy, you will get through rads just fine. Everyone's experience is slightly different, but I can tell you about mine. I am finishing up my 4th week of rads tomorrow. So far, I've had some swelling in the radiated breast, some redness and tenderness, and slight fatigue. Nothing I can't work through. I will be having 5 booster doses to the tumor site during my last week, so I will probably develop some more skin issues then. But, all in all, not too bad for me. I hope things go great with you. Let us know.

Mimi
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    dyaneb123 said:

I just met with my radiation
    I just met with my radiation onc. for the 1st consult yesterday. He spent an hour just explaining it all to me. I hope your Doc's are as good. But for us there are really only 3 side effects to worry about during radiation.1. Skin changes, swelling and tenderness in the target area,2. Fatigue,3. and Hair loss on the targeted area...hopefuly this is not an issue for us LOL!
    And they are all cumulative, so probably wont bother you at all til you get toward the end of the cycle. So good luck and keep us posted.

Breast hair
    Well, Dee, if I did have this problem I guess that would be the one "up-side" to radiation. LOL. I have to say, I didn't mind losing my leg and underarm hair during chemo. The leg hair has come back now, however. It is very soft though, like when it first grew in when I was 10 or 11. I've decided to start waxing it instead of shaving. It's like I have another shot.

Mimi
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    mimivac said:

Breast hair
    Well, Dee, if I did have this problem I guess that would be the one "up-side" to radiation. LOL. I have to say, I didn't mind losing my leg and underarm hair during chemo. The leg hair has come back now, however. It is very soft though, like when it first grew in when I was 10 or 11. I've decided to start waxing it instead of shaving. It's like I have another shot.

Mimi

About radiation
    Most, if any side effects that you will have, do come towards the end of your treatment, so, don't worry about it. And like I posted earlier, they go away. If you get tired, try to get as much sleep as you can. Take naps during the day if possible. Keep the cremes that your radiation oncologist gives you on the radiated area. And, I lost the hair under my arm and it still isn't back. So, that is a good thing! lol
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    mimivac said:

Welcome Julie and Pammy
    You found a great place to get support and friendship through this journey. Pammy, you will get through rads just fine. Everyone's experience is slightly different, but I can tell you about mine. I am finishing up my 4th week of rads tomorrow. So far, I've had some swelling in the radiated breast, some redness and tenderness, and slight fatigue. Nothing I can't work through. I will be having 5 booster doses to the tumor site during my last week, so I will probably develop some more skin issues then. But, all in all, not too bad for me. I hope things go great with you. Let us know.

Mimi

side effects
    Thanks for all the sharing everyone!! I wouldn't mind losing the underarm hair...that could be a plus!! Never have turned down "Beauty" sleep...now I'll have a ligitimate excuse! Swelling could be ok....always wanted to see what I would look like a size bigger! Definitely will share my experience :) Pammy
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Akiss4me said:

side effects
    Thanks for all the sharing everyone!! I wouldn't mind losing the underarm hair...that could be a plus!! Never have turned down "Beauty" sleep...now I'll have a ligitimate excuse! Swelling could be ok....always wanted to see what I would look like a size bigger! Definitely will share my experience :) Pammy

Welcome Newbies!!!
    Nice to meet you both. MIMI...what a title "Breast Hair" ????? I thought youd started growing your very own hairy chest to go with the skinhead and tattoos! LOL.. Hugs Jxxxxx
  • jgridley
    jgridley Member Posts: 169
    Akiss4me said:

Welcome
    Thanks for the welcome! I'm really nervous about the thought of radiation. I'm scared of the side effects? More afraid of the BC though. Not sure what the side effects really are for radiation? Is it hard to go through?

side effects from rads
    The only one I had was I was drained! by this I mean I was tired....
    It got to the point to where I would call someone
    on my cell to talk for that hour drive home.

But then I was getting up at 3:30am in the morning to go to work and work till 2 pm. I would work a nine hour day, and then drive an hour for rads.

I had to work because my company told me that if I missed 3 months of work that I would be fired....hows that for suppourt from the company you work for.

Julie
  • jgridley
    jgridley Member Posts: 169
    Akiss4me said:

Welcome

side effects from rads
    The only one I had was I was drained! by this I mean I was tired....
    It got to the point to where I would call someone
    on my cell to talk for that hour drive home.

But then I was getting up at 3:30am in the morning to go to work and work till 2 pm. I would work a nine hour day, and then drive an hour for rads.

I had to work because my company told me that if I missed 3 months of work that I would be fired....hows that for suppourt from the company you work for.

Julie