Options
jgridley
jgridley Member Posts: 169
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi my name is Julie and I have stage 2 breast cancer. I have had two surgerys. the second one involved removing my lymnoids in my left arm.

I completed my seven weeks of radiation on March 23rd of this year. I have my first mamogram in september.

I have to honestly say that my Faith in God has got me through everything so far.

I am begining to become involved with the ACS. I was recently invited to be a member of the advisory board for my county, as well as going to get training to become a "Reach to Recovery" volunteer. In addtion, I will be walking in my first Relay for Life on June 19th & 20th in Ohio.

I am a mother of four boys, and two grandaughters. my husband and I have been married for 17 years. I teach Sunday school once a month, sing on our Worship team every other sunday
and am a member of our Womens Interperative dance team.

I recently created a Mosaic website and sent the link to friends and family members to help raise money for the American Cancer Soceity.

As you can tell I stay very busy.

that's me in a nut shell...
and I must say it is a pleasure to have this site available that allows me to share what I am going through.

Comments

• mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Welcome Julie, glad you were
    Welcome Julie, glad you were able to figure out how to post a new thread. You will find everyone on this board to be very supportive, insightful and down right great. Post often whether you have a question, concern or just want to rant and vent, we're here to support you in any way we can.

I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma stage 1 grade 3 June 1, 2007 and had a mastectomy on June 7th, 2007. As you can tell, my 2 year anniversary is approaching soon. I went through 8 rounds of CAF and no radiation since I had a mastectomy. I have a boy 18 and a girl turning 16 in 6 weeks ( and she's counting)! My husband has also been my rock of gibraltar and still is my best supporter. I've walked and volunteered with ACS for the past 10 years, never did it dawn on me that one day I would be walking for myself. But, that's life. I did my first relay last June and will be participating in this years also. I'm glad you are done with all your treatments, now you are at the after cancer stage.

Once again, welcome. Hugs, Lili
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Welcome
    Hi, I am new too...just joined this evening. I can tell you that in the few hours I have been on here I have had the warmest and most heartfelt welcomes anyone could wish for. I am still in the final testing phase before surgery + treatment phase. Scary stuff but wonderful people here to help you through any step on your journey. It seems we are all on the same path....some ahead...some behind....and lots & lots of us to walk right beside you. Glad you are here :) Pammy
  • jgridley
    Options

Welcome Julie, glad you were
    Welcome Julie, glad you were able to figure out how to post a new thread. You will find everyone on this board to be very supportive, insightful and down right great. Post often whether you have a question, concern or just want to rant and vent, we're here to support you in any way we can.

I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma stage 1 grade 3 June 1, 2007 and had a mastectomy on June 7th, 2007. As you can tell, my 2 year anniversary is approaching soon. I went through 8 rounds of CAF and no radiation since I had a mastectomy. I have a boy 18 and a girl turning 16 in 6 weeks ( and she's counting)! My husband has also been my rock of gibraltar and still is my best supporter. I've walked and volunteered with ACS for the past 10 years, never did it dawn on me that one day I would be walking for myself. But, that's life. I did my first relay last June and will be participating in this years also. I'm glad you are done with all your treatments, now you are at the after cancer stage.

Once again, welcome. Hugs, Lili

Lili
    Thanks :-)... I often wonder if it is really over? I wonder if it will come back!
    I have a family history of breat cancer. I have two aunts that lost both breast and two who have lost one breast. I am taking Ameridex (sp) for the next five years as well.

How do you get your oncologist to listen when you have deep concerns and they are from
    india and hard to understand?

Julie
  • jgridley
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

Welcome
    Hi, I am new too...just joined this evening. I can tell you that in the few hours I have been on here I have had the warmest and most heartfelt welcomes anyone could wish for. I am still in the final testing phase before surgery + treatment phase. Scary stuff but wonderful people here to help you through any step on your journey. It seems we are all on the same path....some ahead...some behind....and lots & lots of us to walk right beside you. Glad you are here :) Pammy

akiss4me
    Thanks Pammy...glad to be here...glad I finally mustard of the confidence to join in.

I read a lot of post last night before going to bed and I am amazed at the wealth of support that each one has for each other.

I look forward to making a lot of new friends here...

Julie
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Welcome Julie
    Glad you found us, but sorry you had to. You will find an amazing group of people here that will support you throughout all you might go through on your bc journey.

It sounds like you have a wonderful life and great outlook. Come back often!

=^..^=
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Hi, jgridley
    Glad you started a thread of your own, and introduced yourself to all. You have a full life - good for you! Special kudos for your ACS involvement. I'm also an avid supporter.

Warm welcome, and glad you're here.

Kind regards, Susan
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    cats_toy said:

Welcome Julie
    Glad you found us, but sorry you had to. You will find an amazing group of people here that will support you throughout all you might go through on your bc journey.

=^..^=

HI Julie and Pammy, Welcome
    HI Julie and Pammy, Welcome to the both of you.
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    cats_toy said:

Welcome Julie

=^..^=

Hi Julie and Pammy
    I offer a warm welcome to both of you! I am sorry for the reason that you are here, but, you will find everyone here warm, helpful and resourceful. I just finished my radiation treatments a couple of weeks ago and am recuperating from that. Everyone here is great as you will find!
  • Akiss4me
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Hi Julie and Pammy
    I offer a warm welcome to both of you! I am sorry for the reason that you are here, but, you will find everyone here warm, helpful and resourceful. I just finished my radiation treatments a couple of weeks ago and am recuperating from that. Everyone here is great as you will find!

Welcome
    Thanks for the welcome! I'm really nervous about the thought of radiation. I'm scared of the side effects? More afraid of the BC though. Not sure what the side effects really are for radiation? Is it hard to go through?
  • Kat11
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

Welcome
    Thanks for the welcome! I'm really nervous about the thought of radiation. I'm scared of the side effects? More afraid of the BC though. Not sure what the side effects really are for radiation? Is it hard to go through?

Wish I could help, I will be
    Wish I could help, I will be starting Rads in a few weeks here. Have not heard of really bad side affects.
  • Akiss4me
    Options
    Kat11 said:

Wish I could help, I will be
    Wish I could help, I will be starting Rads in a few weeks here. Have not heard of really bad side affects.

sounds like you will be just
    sounds like you will be just ahead of me with rads....I will be waiting to hear how it goes for you (which I hope will be without incident!!).
  • Kat11
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

sounds like you will be just ahead of me with rads....I will be waiting to hear how it goes for you (which I hope will be without incident!!).

Question
    How soon after surgery do you start Rads ???
  • Jeanne D
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

Welcome

Your radiation oncologist
    Your radiation oncologist will explain what side effects MAY happen to you during treatment. Not everyone reacts the same way. I got burnt at the end with the boosters and I am still tired, but, you will be fine. And, I also had 37 rad treatments, which most here seem to have less, as I hope you will too. They are very doable. And, we all heal even if we burn some. So, don't worry about them. Just think positive!
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

Welcome

Welcome, Akiss4me
    Glad you found us, too. We're all here to support and encourage each other.

Best wishes to you.

Kind regards, Susan
  • Kat11
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

I will keep you informed.
    I will keep you informed. Pretty scared myself. Not knowing whats going to happen.
  • Akiss4me
    Options

Welcome, Akiss4me
    Glad you found us, too. We're all here to support and encourage each other.

Best wishes to you.

Kind regards, Susan

Thank you!
    Thanks susan....really appreciate the welcome. Amazing how the Lord can put you in the right place at the right time just right when you need to be there!!! :) Pammy
  • Akiss4me
    Options
    Kat11 said:

I will keep you informed.
    I will keep you informed. Pretty scared myself. Not knowing whats going to happen.

oh, let me help you....I am
    oh, let me help you....I am more then happy to be scared with you....ready, set, GO!!!! Whew....am I glad we got THAT out of the way, aren't you? Now I know you will be fine!!! :)
  • Kat11
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

oh, let me help you....I am
    oh, let me help you....I am more then happy to be scared with you....ready, set, GO!!!! Whew....am I glad we got THAT out of the way, aren't you? Now I know you will be fine!!! :)

Wow, that helped a lot,
    Wow, that helped a lot, Thanks for the laugh. You do know that when they shoot me or what ever they do I will be thinking of you.
  • Jeanne D
    Options
    Kat11 said:

Question
    How soon after surgery do you start Rads ???

Kat
    From what I know and from my own experience, it was about 6 weeks after surgery, and, I had a lumpectomy and then about 6 weeks later started 37 radiation treatments. They want you to be healed up before you start rads. You will be fine Kat.
  • Kat11
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Kat
    From what I know and from my own experience, it was about 6 weeks after surgery, and, I had a lumpectomy and then about 6 weeks later started 37 radiation treatments. They want you to be healed up before you start rads. You will be fine Kat.

Thank you Jeanne. I forgot
    Thank you Jeanne. I forgot to ask about the time frame on the rads. I also will be having a lumpectomy. This will be done next week.