My Dad's Battle with Colon Cancer Has Finally Come to and End

jcavanaugh
jcavanaugh Member Posts: 100
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello:

I joined this board back in 2004-2005 and have found great comfort in coming to this board and reading the messages posted by others and posting my questions. I was not great at contributing to conversations but really got a lot from them. I wanted to thank everyone for their care and support. My dad is not expected to make it to tomorrow. We are at the hospital right now. In a way, I am glad because he is not the man that I remember. He cannot walk up the street, drive a car, or even eat a good meal. If he had to go, I am glad that he went with dignity and that it was not prolonged. Thanks again to all those who have replied to my posts throughout the years. I have gotten great strength from this board and a lot of answers. We all need to communicate because ideas and treatments are everywhere and we as patients and caregivers can make the connections. My prayer now is that one day we will have a cure for this disease and the many others. Nobody should live a healthy life only to be robbed of a long life because of this disease. God bless all of you.

Jennifer

Comments

• 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    hugs
    hi jennifer,

I'm sorry to hear about your father, but you're right, the dying part can get ugly and if he can go with dignity the better. The tough part comes later as the grief moves in and takes up residence for awhile like an unwelcome house guest. Everybody else's life goes on, but we're left with the hole. Be easy on yourself.

peace, emily
  • FAPMom47
    FAPMom47 Member Posts: 68
    I lost my Mom
    I am sorry for your lose, he will be in a better place. I have 2 MOMS up in Heaven for him to see. It is still hard, at the same time remember he is not hurting.

Much Love and Prayers
    Jackie
    God Bless You and Your Family!
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I send my hugs....
    I'm sorry for your loss, dearheart. But dad is still with you...in your heart, in your thoughts....peace is his...

HUgs, Kathi
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Hugs
    Jennifer,

I'm so sorry you and your family are going through this. Quickly and with dignity is better for your dad. The loss will truely be yours, as he will be in a better place. That won't make it easier for you. Please be kind and gentle with yourself over the next many months as the pain and grief hits.

My greatest fear is that my children will remember me as sick instead of all the years of my active, healthy life. I really hope for you that your memories will be of the happy, healthy days; of the things about your dad that drove you nuts; about the faults that made him human and made him your dad; about the wonderful little things he did for you that showed you that he loved you.

Hugs,

Kimby
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    So sorry
    Jennifer,

I'm so very sorry about your dad. This has been a long, rough road for both of you, and you can never really prepare for the end. I'll be praying for comfort for you and the rest of your family. I will also pray that your dad will go out peacefully.

Please come back to the board when you feel up to it and let us know how you're doing.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Hi Jennifer,
    I

Hi Jennifer,
    I am so sorry to hear your dad is so ill. I have very fond memories of talking with him in the early days of the previous CSN chatroom. It is a credit to him and you his family that he had the strenghth and courage and will to fight so long and so hard.I can only wish for a peace and freedom from pain for what time remains for him. My thoughts are with you. Ron.
  • changing2
    changing2 Member Posts: 118
    So sorry
    So sorry to read the news:( I've been looking for your posts.Pray you'll find comfort knowing that you we're a great support for him and encouragement.He was blessed having you thereand I'm sure you feel the same about him.
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Saying good-bye
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, Jennifer. He put up an incredible fight as i've read your posts over the last couple of years. I believe those who pass from an illness like this one simply know when it's time for them to go. Some hold on to spare their loved ones the grief, and linger when they should be passing. Sounds like your Dad has made his peace, and believes your family can let him go. You've been a wonderful advocate for him, fighting as hard as he did. I'll bet he's totally proud of you for that!

All my love and best wishes during this last stand.

I hope we continue to hear from you and learn from your experiences.

Krista
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    KEEPING YOU, YOUR DAD & FAMILY
    In our thoughts and prayers, Jennifer. You have been a source of great hope and inspiration to so many caregivers and survivors here for so many years. Your commitment to your dad is such a wonderful gift.

Be well and know you are all in my thoughts at this difficult time.

- SpongeBob
  • tiny one
    tiny one Member Posts: 465 Member
    losing a parent
    Jennifer my Mom was diagnosed with Parkinson's in Jan of 2000. Within 2 months she couldn't walk. I watched her slowly lose her battle for 2 years. I didn't want her to go but I prayed toward the end that she would. She passed in January of 2002. She wasn't the Mom that she had been, the illness robbed her of that. My Dad passed in Aug of 2006. He had congestive heart failure. His Dr said in Jan of 06 that he had 6 months. I'm an only child. It's hard losing a parent but it's even harder watching them lose their fight. May God give you strength. Saying prayers that hopefully soon Cancer will not be any more. May your family and friends be a comfort to you. God bless.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Sorry for your loss
    Jennifer, my heart and well wishes go out to you and your family. I don't think I can add much more than what's been said.
    hugs
    -phil
  • jsabol
    jsabol Member Posts: 1,145 Member
    Wishing you comfort
    Oh, (((((((((Jennifer))))))))),
    I lost my dad to this disease; what a sad time for you and your family. Know that your dad will be resting in peace, and may your memories fly to the good times. With sympathy, Judy
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Prayers
    My thoughts and prayers are with you all. I'm sorry to hear of your father but I'm glad that you are with him during his last hours. May God take him home peacefully.

Kim
  • betina61
    betina61 Member Posts: 642 Member
    So sorry to hear the news
    So sorry to hear the news about your father,he was a fighter and a vety lucky man to have you as a daughter,praying for confort and acceptance.
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    So Sorry
    Jennifer,

Have comfort in knowing you were there for him every step of the way. Yes, dignity is paramount. Know that we are here for you.Come back and share, vent, or just talk.

Vicki
  • robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    Blessings...
    Hi Jennifer.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time. Your father has been blessed to have you as a companion to walk with him through these past years.

Rob; in Vancouver
  • impactzone
    impactzone Member Posts: 551 Member
    I am so sorry...
    Chip

I am so sorry...
    Chip
  • angelsbaby
    angelsbaby Member Posts: 1,165 Member

I am so sorry...
    Chip

I am so sorry...
    Chip

sorry
    michelle
  • dixchi
    dixchi Member Posts: 431
    So sorry about your father; hold on to the memories of
    the good times.

Hugs,
    Barbara
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    so sorry
    Hi Jennifer,

I'm so sorry your dad has lost the battle. I'm sure he fought valiantly and now he's no longer suffering. That thought, of course, won't make it any easier on you now- here's a hug for you- you take care and God bless-
    Lisa