Bowel Movements (I know, yucky subject)

Shayenne
Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I hate discussing this, but it's making me nervous..I haven't had a BM since Sunday, and usually go regularly, I had diarhhea, but took that Immodium-AD, and now wonder if it was bad for me, or is stuffing me up.. I want to go before the chemo treatment tomorrow, I know I'm not blocked or anything, because I'm passing gas, air is going through there, but I wonder if it's the painkillers, or maybe something I ate that isn't letting me go..I know the doctor said if I don't go for like 4 days to let them know, because I could have a rupture? which scared me...I even took laxatives and they haven't even worked yet, though, those were the stupid cheap ones..should I be worried??

Comments

• sheri22
    sheri22 Member Posts: 273
    Shayenne
    something that might help you is try warm prune juice with a tes of sugar
    I had to do that once and it worked also lots of fluids and chocolite helps too.
    and I do know the pain killers can have a lot to do with that
    hope this helps hugs try to walk as much as possible too.
    ps ask your DR if he is giving you Iron in your IV that made me have constipation a few yrs ago had the Iron stopped in IV and started taking regular iron vitamins
    but ask him
  • Shayenne
    sheri22 said:

Shayenne
    something that might help you is try warm prune juice with a tes of sugar
    I had to do that once and it worked also lots of fluids and chocolite helps too.
    and I do know the pain killers can have a lot to do with that
    hope this helps hugs try to walk as much as possible too.
    ps ask your DR if he is giving you Iron in your IV that made me have constipation a few yrs ago had the Iron stopped in IV and started taking regular iron vitamins
    but ask him

Yes...
    I am taking 2 iron tablets daily with dol-ce-lace, (for my anemia) some stool softeners...I am going to the store today to buy some prunes, and prune juice, I think those sounds gross, I've never had prunes before, the juice don't even sound good, but anything to help "things move along better" I"ll try! thanks sheri!

~Donna
  • sheri22
    sheri22 Member Posts: 273
    Shayenne said:

Yes...
    I am taking 2 iron tablets daily with dol-ce-lace, (for my anemia) some stool softeners...I am going to the store today to buy some prunes, and prune juice, I think those sounds gross, I've never had prunes before, the juice don't even sound good, but anything to help "things move along better" I"ll try! thanks sheri!

~Donna

dont overdo the prune juice
    Donna dont go overbored on the prune juice it only took 2 4oz cups for me and the walking,

make sure its warm though I know it sounds gross but it has worked for me also I work in a nursing home just an aide and it useually does the trick for older people too.
    I just had to let you know that, wouldnt want to see you go get diarrhea next
    good luck Sheri22
  • Shayenne
    sheri22 said:

dont overdo the prune juice
    Donna dont go overbored on the prune juice it only took 2 4oz cups for me and the walking,

make sure its warm though I know it sounds gross but it has worked for me also I work in a nursing home just an aide and it useually does the trick for older people too.
    I just had to let you know that, wouldnt want to see you go get diarrhea next
    good luck Sheri22

Thanks!
    OK, just a little at a time.. I wouldn't even mind diarrhea at this point, just something to clean my system out there for now, until I at least see the nurses tomorrow during my treatment, and maybe they could give me something that won't stuff me up.
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    diearrhea
    Also, keep in mind that when you have diarrhea, you are moving the waste through your intestines quicker than it's intended. It could just be that your body needs more time to actually build enough waste to need to eliminate it! It takes 24 hours after diarrhea ends for a full stool to build back up in your intestines! And I echo the other warnings, be careful you don't get yourself back into diarrhea! I never worried about constipation because, like clockwork, I got diarrhea from the chemo and everything was racing to exit faster than I could get lomotil and immodium in to stop it! But, that knowledge comes with experience and you will get to know the routine of your treatments and side effects soon enough! I would definitely go with either the prune juice, or dried fruit if you prefer. Pretty much any dried fruit, doesn't have to be prunes; 5 dried apricots will do just as well as 5 prunes! You're taking a stool softener already, don't overdo the additional stuff!
    mary
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Shayenne said:

Thanks!
    OK, just a little at a time.. I wouldn't even mind diarrhea at this point, just something to clean my system out there for now, until I at least see the nurses tomorrow during my treatment, and maybe they could give me something that won't stuff me up.

OK......Chemo
    on Monday, constipated on Tuesday - Friday. I start to get cleaned out on Saturday. I think it really adds to the nausea effect. Be careful, if you use to much stuff to break it loose its gonna be like a California Slide.....LOL... When it starts its gonna get ugly. Its from not drinking enough and you start to get dehydrated then your bowel system loses its ability to operate as well and it draws more water from the stool than normal trying to rehydrate itself, thus leaving you constipated. Most have diarherra with chemo, but a few of us go the other way. I have been taking polypropylene glycol in small doses once a day starting 2 days prior and 6 days after the start of my chemo and it has leveled me out.
    A word of advice.....when your stomach starts growling......your not hungry...but you better not be to far from the THRONE.......LOL...........Good Luck
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    msccolon said:

diearrhea
    Also, keep in mind that when you have diarrhea, you are moving the waste through your intestines quicker than it's intended. It could just be that your body needs more time to actually build enough waste to need to eliminate it! It takes 24 hours after diarrhea ends for a full stool to build back up in your intestines! And I echo the other warnings, be careful you don't get yourself back into diarrhea! I never worried about constipation because, like clockwork, I got diarrhea from the chemo and everything was racing to exit faster than I could get lomotil and immodium in to stop it! But, that knowledge comes with experience and you will get to know the routine of your treatments and side effects soon enough! I would definitely go with either the prune juice, or dried fruit if you prefer. Pretty much any dried fruit, doesn't have to be prunes; 5 dried apricots will do just as well as 5 prunes! You're taking a stool softener already, don't overdo the additional stuff!
    mary

Constipation
    I just finished my radiation/chemo and I was on a trial and error with diarrhea and hard stools. Pain pills and chemo/radiation can cause constipation in itself (radiation for me was the diarrhea). I only needed 1/4 of an immodium every other day to control my loose stools. What will work for some will not work for others. Try not to try to many different things at one time because then you won't know exactly what did work for you. Coffee, or hot chocolate always helped get me going. Good luck and you will get a new "regular."
  • trainer
    trainer Member Posts: 241
    Shayenne said:

Yes...

~Donna

Iron supplements
    Not sure where I heard this, but I've been told that iron supplements will cause your problem.
  • Shayenne

Constipation
    I just finished my radiation/chemo and I was on a trial and error with diarrhea and hard stools. Pain pills and chemo/radiation can cause constipation in itself (radiation for me was the diarrhea). I only needed 1/4 of an immodium every other day to control my loose stools. What will work for some will not work for others. Try not to try to many different things at one time because then you won't know exactly what did work for you. Coffee, or hot chocolate always helped get me going. Good luck and you will get a new "regular."

Thank you all!
    Buzzard had me spitting Ensure out all over me here LOL!

OH man, I DO NOT like this prune juice, how gross, I just bought it, drank alittle, and that's it, I don't think I want to drink that ever again. I also bought dried Sunsweet prunes which weren't too bad, though, they taste like a raisin almost, and I HATE raisins. I got them down, and now will just wait for my tummy to be rumbling.. I tell ya, the gas is there, I just wish the stools would come already lol..

I took 2 of the Immodiums on Sunday, and I swear, I think ever since I started taking them for my diarrhea, that's when I had the problem now where it won't even come out! blah!
  • dasspears
    dasspears Member Posts: 227
    Shayenne said:

Thank you all!

OH man, I DO NOT like this prune juice, how gross, I just bought it, drank alittle, and that's it, I don't think I want to drink that ever again. I also bought dried Sunsweet prunes which weren't too bad, though, they taste like a raisin almost, and I HATE raisins. I got them down, and now will just wait for my tummy to be rumbling.. I tell ya, the gas is there, I just wish the stools would come already lol..

I took 2 of the Immodiums on Sunday, and I swear, I think ever since I started taking them for my diarrhea, that's when I had the problem now where it won't even come out! blah!

Another opinion
    I was told to use take metamucil in the evening for bulk and then Miralax in the morning. I developed an anal fissure from hard stools (taking alot of iron) and this method has really helped alot.
  • irene77
    irene77 Member Posts: 28
    Yucky subject, suggestion
    Donna
    fresh fruit seems to be the answer for me, not to much do not want to get the runs, I go to trader joes and get fresh mellons also an anti nausea fruit. Drink lots of water I have been putting about 2oz of cranberry juice in my water and heating it up to warm as the water at room temperature is to cold and I feel like there is a knife in my throut, or maybe it is narpathy in any case keep drinking what ever you can get down. For exercise that is when im off the chemo started going to a Yoga class an orginzation called we spark, for cancer patience, do not know if they have one in your area, the good part its free.
    praying for you, Irene
  • ldot123
    ldot123 Member Posts: 272
    irene77 said:

Yucky subject, suggestion
    Donna
    fresh fruit seems to be the answer for me, not to much do not want to get the runs, I go to trader joes and get fresh mellons also an anti nausea fruit. Drink lots of water I have been putting about 2oz of cranberry juice in my water and heating it up to warm as the water at room temperature is to cold and I feel like there is a knife in my throut, or maybe it is narpathy in any case keep drinking what ever you can get down. For exercise that is when im off the chemo started going to a Yoga class an orginzation called we spark, for cancer patience, do not know if they have one in your area, the good part its free.
    praying for you, Irene

Iron supplements
    Hi there,
    Yes, iron supplements can cause constipation. Prunes or dried prunes work well plus Metamucil. I take that every day and it really helps.

Cheers, Lance
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Shayenne said:

Thank you all!

Immodium
    Ok Ms. Donna! Prior to Sunday, did you ever use Immodium much in the past? My guess is that you didn't, so on Sunday, when you used it (and it worked) it is now doing the job it was intended to do... stop the runs!! :)

It's only Tuesday so it does not surprise me that it stopped the works on Sunday, nothing happened on Monday and here it is Tuesday. My guess is that you are going to be fine and there's nothing to worry about. Whereas someone who takes Immodium regularly may only go 24 hours without a BM after they've taken it... someone who is not used to taking Immodium may go 36 - 48 hours without a BM.

Since you'll be seeing your chemo nurses tomorrow, if you haven't gone by then, by all means tell them... but also tell them that you DID take 2 Immodium on Sunday, which is new to you. I certainly wouldn't go too crazy on eating/taking stuff now to make you go... let your body work for you. If you take stuff to stop going and then take stuff to start going... you are going to end up training your system to always need something for it to work ;)

Hugggggs,

Cheryl
  • Shayenne

Immodium
    Ok Ms. Donna! Prior to Sunday, did you ever use Immodium much in the past? My guess is that you didn't, so on Sunday, when you used it (and it worked) it is now doing the job it was intended to do... stop the runs!! :)

It's only Tuesday so it does not surprise me that it stopped the works on Sunday, nothing happened on Monday and here it is Tuesday. My guess is that you are going to be fine and there's nothing to worry about. Whereas someone who takes Immodium regularly may only go 24 hours without a BM after they've taken it... someone who is not used to taking Immodium may go 36 - 48 hours without a BM.

Since you'll be seeing your chemo nurses tomorrow, if you haven't gone by then, by all means tell them... but also tell them that you DID take 2 Immodium on Sunday, which is new to you. I certainly wouldn't go too crazy on eating/taking stuff now to make you go... let your body work for you. If you take stuff to stop going and then take stuff to start going... you are going to end up training your system to always need something for it to work ;)

Hugggggs,

Cheryl

No...
    .. I have never used Immodicum -AD in my life before this, and you're right, here I am taking iron, stool softeners, and then Immodium, I'm going to mess it up for myself, so I stopped taking anything now and hope naure will just run its course by tomorrow lol...god, I SOOOOO don't want to do a BM there, I hate doing that in public places lol..
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Shayenne said:

No...
    .. I have never used Immodicum -AD in my life before this, and you're right, here I am taking iron, stool softeners, and then Immodium, I'm going to mess it up for myself, so I stopped taking anything now and hope naure will just run its course by tomorrow lol...god, I SOOOOO don't want to do a BM there, I hate doing that in public places lol..

BMs in public
    I'm with you there! However, this beast has a way of making us get over all those embarrassments over waste elimination! In fact, if we weren't so embarrassed about it, we would all probably pay more attention to our bm's and diagnose problems in earlier stages!
    mary
  • daydreamer110761
    daydreamer110761 Member Posts: 487 Member
    Shayenne said:

Yes...

~Donna

prune juice
    Ok - sounds funny - but my mother taught me this. Put ½ prune juice and ¼ water into a wine glass. sometimes the juice can be too thick and you may not like it if you never had it. the wine glass is just to make it feel a little classier! I actually like it, and 1-3 per week.

I also love cooked prunes over toast with just a sprinkle of sugar or equal....it's really not bad.
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Yes, yucky, but important
    I am suffering right now from post-op problems. I back up for several days, ten i can't stop going for days on end. Docs say it will eventually work itself out, but I am completely housebound. I am miserable. I either hurt from the constipation, or am sore from the runs. I can't sit or lie comfortably, and only sleep in two hour increments. I am tired of it all....as I am sure many of you are as well.

And they tell me 3-4 months I'll be like this. Please tell me that things do settle down....

Vicki
  • Shayenne
    VickiCO said:

Yes, yucky, but important
    I am suffering right now from post-op problems. I back up for several days, ten i can't stop going for days on end. Docs say it will eventually work itself out, but I am completely housebound. I am miserable. I either hurt from the constipation, or am sore from the runs. I can't sit or lie comfortably, and only sleep in two hour increments. I am tired of it all....as I am sure many of you are as well.

And they tell me 3-4 months I'll be like this. Please tell me that things do settle down....

Vicki

Aww...
    Things will be alright Vicki! keep thinking positive! you never know, it may not take 3 or 4 months, it could be sooner! Can't they give you something to keep you more comfortable during these painful times though? just be patient though, and soon enough you'll be thanking this all happened, it will work out fine! be happy, and sending prayers and hugss your way!

I actually took prunes and prune juice and still haven't gone, but let me tell you, I can hear the rumblings from behind and the tummy, and alot of air passing, but still no BM! I can't believe I am so looking forward to actually taking a crap for once, I just don't want a rupture happening if I don't go.

~Donna
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Shayenne said:

Aww...
    Things will be alright Vicki! keep thinking positive! you never know, it may not take 3 or 4 months, it could be sooner! Can't they give you something to keep you more comfortable during these painful times though? just be patient though, and soon enough you'll be thanking this all happened, it will work out fine! be happy, and sending prayers and hugss your way!

I actually took prunes and prune juice and still haven't gone, but let me tell you, I can hear the rumblings from behind and the tummy, and alot of air passing, but still no BM! I can't believe I am so looking forward to actually taking a crap for once, I just don't want a rupture happening if I don't go.

~Donna

No ruptures but watch the screen doors.......
    You don't want bulk if your constipated. If your tummy is rumbling it won't be long now. Hide the kids and hubby in the storm shelter cause its fixin to get ugly around there.........Good Luck and stay close..........it will be fine hun, don't let make light of it but no sense in worrying. Let the Dr know then just standby.......
  • Shayenne
    Buzzard said:

No ruptures but watch the screen doors.......
    You don't want bulk if your constipated. If your tummy is rumbling it won't be long now. Hide the kids and hubby in the storm shelter cause its fixin to get ugly around there.........Good Luck and stay close..........it will be fine hun, don't let make light of it but no sense in worrying. Let the Dr know then just standby.......

Oh man...
    I just busted out laughing at this, damn Buzz, you know how to make an ole gal just giggle!

I DID IT! yes, It finally came, I can't believe I would get so excited about having a BM! I just get so worried about ruptures and blockages, that it leaves me all paranoid.. so darn funny, I did it in my own bathroom, thank god we have 2! I warned my kids the storm shelter would be off limits for a little while till it airs out ;) haha...