Bowel Movements (I know, yucky subject)

2»

Comments

• msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Shayenne said:

Oh man...
    I just busted out laughing at this, damn Buzz, you know how to make an ole gal just giggle!

I DID IT! yes, It finally came, I can't believe I would get so excited about having a BM! I just get so worried about ruptures and blockages, that it leaves me all paranoid.. so darn funny, I did it in my own bathroom, thank god we have 2! I warned my kids the storm shelter would be off limits for a little while till it airs out ;) haha...

Dancing with ya!
    That's great news! Now you can relax until tomorrow! WOO HOO!
    mary
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    VickiCO said:

Yes, yucky, but important
    I am suffering right now from post-op problems. I back up for several days, ten i can't stop going for days on end. Docs say it will eventually work itself out, but I am completely housebound. I am miserable. I either hurt from the constipation, or am sore from the runs. I can't sit or lie comfortably, and only sleep in two hour increments. I am tired of it all....as I am sure many of you are as well.

And they tell me 3-4 months I'll be like this. Please tell me that things do settle down....

Vicki

Vicki, yes, it will get better...
    The worst possible place to do surgery is on the bowel. It HATES to be disturbed, even when the surgery is just nearby like a hysterectomy. My tubal ligation years ago gave me loose bowels...lol...

As far as regularity, I found that hydration was a big, big, big factor for me. I drank lots of fluids, and it really helped. Still does, 4 years (in May) later! I made it my goal to control as much as possible by diet, only using Immodium in emergencies...BRAT diet was GREAT for the runs...

Imagine, I also had a total hysterectomy with my resection and new plumbing (remember, I lost my entire rectum...my descending colon changed job descriptions and became my new rectum...). So I slept in a bed that changed into a pool at least once a night...rofl!

Take heart, my sweet, it WILL get better. But it DOES take time!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • dasspears
    dasspears Member Posts: 227
    VickiCO said:

Yes, yucky, but important
    I am suffering right now from post-op problems. I back up for several days, ten i can't stop going for days on end. Docs say it will eventually work itself out, but I am completely housebound. I am miserable. I either hurt from the constipation, or am sore from the runs. I can't sit or lie comfortably, and only sleep in two hour increments. I am tired of it all....as I am sure many of you are as well.

And they tell me 3-4 months I'll be like this. Please tell me that things do settle down....

Vicki

They will.....
    They will settle down - took me about 4-5 months actually. Even now, a year later, I may eat something that causes a little distress and I have to run to the RR. But it's not that often.
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    dasspears said:

They will.....
    They will settle down - took me about 4-5 months actually. Even now, a year later, I may eat something that causes a little distress and I have to run to the RR. But it's not that often.

Thanks
    I know it all takes time. I was hit with heavy depression this week, and it is very unusual for me. I just wanted to pack it in, you know? But today is sunny and warm, and I just spent an hour in the backyard with my neighbors kids (ages 2 & 4) and I have a new outlook. Just to get outside the house is a blessing! I can do this. It's the length of time that is killing me...BUT, as hubby reminded me, it's only been 3 weeks today since my surgery.

I appreciate all the comments and support. Vicki
  • msccolon
    VickiCO said:

Thanks
    I know it all takes time. I was hit with heavy depression this week, and it is very unusual for me. I just wanted to pack it in, you know? But today is sunny and warm, and I just spent an hour in the backyard with my neighbors kids (ages 2 & 4) and I have a new outlook. Just to get outside the house is a blessing! I can do this. It's the length of time that is killing me...BUT, as hubby reminded me, it's only been 3 weeks today since my surgery.

hold on!
    I hate to hear you are having a bad week. Definitely does the soul good to get outside, but also to be with young kids cause they REALLY know how to enjoy themselves! There's nothing like the sound of children laughing! You are indeed doing VERY well for what you've been through so pat yourself on the back and allow yourself to wallow; just be sure to bounce back and get back into the fight!
    mary
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    VickiCO said:

Thanks

The sun has fabulous healing qualities in itself....
    The more you can go out and bask in the sun the better you'll feel. It has a warming soothing characteristic that never seems to dissipate. It is a great spirit lifting device that cures the indoor blues in a matter of minutes of being outside. The kids add the extra touch that lets you know "Life is Good".......you deserve the mood swings as everyone needs to just have a good cry every now and then, it cleanses the soul and allows you to start fresh. It has the ability to strengthen you each time it happens. It gives you the benefit of moving on pass the next hurdle and leaving the one that is upsetting you behind once and for all..... You have nothing to do but heal for now so don't be impatient, remember, it took the Lord 6 days to create it all and even He rested on the Seventh.....God Bless ya Hun.....
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Buzzard said:

The more you can go out and bask in the sun the better you'll feel. It has a warming soothing characteristic that never seems to dissipate. It is a great spirit lifting device that cures the indoor blues in a matter of minutes of being outside. The kids add the extra touch that lets you know "Life is Good".......you deserve the mood swings as everyone needs to just have a good cry every now and then, it cleanses the soul and allows you to start fresh. It has the ability to strengthen you each time it happens. It gives you the benefit of moving on pass the next hurdle and leaving the one that is upsetting you behind once and for all..... You have nothing to do but heal for now so don't be impatient, remember, it took the Lord 6 days to create it all and even He rested on the Seventh.....God Bless ya Hun.....

the sun
    It is good to get out and get some sun but I was warned from the start that chemo causes sensitivity to the sun so do be careful not to overdo it. Walking is great for getting to old bowels moving though so maybe stay away from walking during peak sun hours. It is funny how our lives revolve around farting and pooping. It's like being a baby all over again. Also, while being in the hospital you have to fart in order to get out. I never get requests TO fart at home, it's usually requests to NOT fart.
    Hope your moving OK
    -p
  • tiny one
    tiny one Member Posts: 465 Member
    PhillieG said:

the sun
    It is good to get out and get some sun but I was warned from the start that chemo causes sensitivity to the sun so do be careful not to overdo it. Walking is great for getting to old bowels moving though so maybe stay away from walking during peak sun hours. It is funny how our lives revolve around farting and pooping. It's like being a baby all over again. Also, while being in the hospital you have to fart in order to get out. I never get requests TO fart at home, it's usually requests to NOT fart.
    Hope your moving OK
    -p

tooting
    People don't know what to say when a woman says pull my finger. That's one thing I never did when I had my ostomy. That was strange no to toot. Sorry I don't mean to be gross. Hope everyone is doin good.
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Buzzard said:

Thanks Guys!
    Where else but here could I say this...for the past two days I have been back into the pain and running to the toilet every 15 minutes, with little results but liquid. I quit eating, I couldn't sleep, ate pain pills like candy. Well, this morning I had 'the feeling' and ran for the bathroom. I actually pooped real poop! Not the tiny little worms or the liquid stuff. It's the first since surgery. I felt lightheaded and then euphoric! And I realized that I could actually FEEL the rectum working. OMG - maybe I am progressing???

Donna, how are you doing?

Thanks for celebrating with me...strange as it is! Vicki
  • msccolon
    VickiCO said:

Thanks Guys!
    Where else but here could I say this...for the past two days I have been back into the pain and running to the toilet every 15 minutes, with little results but liquid. I quit eating, I couldn't sleep, ate pain pills like candy. Well, this morning I had 'the feeling' and ran for the bathroom. I actually pooped real poop! Not the tiny little worms or the liquid stuff. It's the first since surgery. I felt lightheaded and then euphoric! And I realized that I could actually FEEL the rectum working. OMG - maybe I am progressing???

DANCING!
    REAL POOP! YEAAAAA! I know your thrilled and so are we! Whod thunk we could get so excited over something we used to take for granted (and everyone else STILL takes for granted!). When I was speaking yesterday at that media thing I asked them if they knew what their poop looked like this morning. I do! It's the embarrassment factor that keeps us from finding this disease sooner!
    mary
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    VickiCO said:

Thanks Guys!

Doing Great!
    I just had the home health nurse here fuse and take my needle out..and I feel great! bowels been ok again, the diarrhea didn't hit yet, but it did a week after I was disconnected, this 2nd time went very well with the nausea!

I am so glad to hear you're doing better! I wish I was there celebrate with ya! Sounds like you are progressing :)

Hugsss to you!
    ~Donna