follow up post radiation therapy

Options
Future
Future Member Posts: 133 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Saw my radiation oncologist today. I completed radiation therapy in 2003. He said he wants to follow me annually for 10 years. I was surprised, after 5 years I thought I'd just be seen by my primary doctor. Is this normal?

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Pretty much. Not only does he want to know how you are doing but he is probably keeping 'records' on the survival and health status of all his patients. I began my cancer journey in 1986 and I still get 'update requests' from my radiation department annually.
  • babs49242
    babs49242 Member Posts: 193
    Options
    that's interesting. My Rad doc said nothing about 'check-ups' then again maybe cuz I moved outta state?
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    The only reason I would not, is that my insurance refused to pay....so far, I have self-paid the visit...I REALLY liked my rad-oncologist...

Hugs, Kathi
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    I just saw my radiation oncologist yesterday. He said that he would see me again in a year and that would take me past the 5yr mark and if everything was ok then he would release me.

I see nothing wrong with check ups for 10 years. More is better. Especially when keeping a check on this beast.
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what's "normal", if there is such a thing. I am still doing radiation, so I am far from your stage. If I was in your place, I would definitely ask why. If it is for record-keeping and adding to the statistical information that could help anyone at all in the future, I would certainly do it, myself. Otherwise, I might ask about doing check ups every 2 years, if there are no suspicious problems. Another thing to think about: for me, the Oncologist who did the original diagnosis and chemo, etc was not the same one who did the radiation, though they worked together as a good team. I would be more interested in being followed up on by the one who did the original diagnosis and chemo, etc. I think. I'm not sure. I guess when I get that far along I'll have to ask more questions that relate to that subject.

I like the name you have chosen...very hopeful and positive. seof