Oncotype/decision to get chemo or not

ohilly
ohilly Member Posts: 441
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just had a mastectomy for invasive intraductal bc. My tumor was 1.1 cm and did not spread to the lymph nodes. My tissue is being analyzed in the new Oncotype test and I will have the recurrence score on March 24. It is my understanding that it will either fall into the high or low risk categories of recurrence, or there is also a gray area, or intermediate group. I would like to hear from people who scores fell into the intermediate group, what decision they made (to have or not to have chemo), and how they made that decision. Any information would be appreciated. Also, does anyone know what scores are considered high, low risk, and intermediate risk? Thanks. Ohilly

Comments

• needlesue7
    needlesue7 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Ohilly,
    I am in a clinical trial called The Tailorx Trial. My primary tumor was 2.5 it was invasive lobular so it had runners going off on two sides. I had a mastectomy 12/15/07. My tissue was analyzed with the Oncotype test and was rated for recurrence at 21. This put me in the middle group for the trial which runs from 11 to 25. The computer then randomly assigned me to the group to receive hormonal therapy only. My oncologist had previously said that he didn't want to give me chemo and was happy with the trials results. I've started Tamoxifen 10 days ago so far so good. Oh, I also had no lymph involvement and er/pr+ her2nue-. Hope this helps you. You can look up more info on Oncotype testing and the Clinical Trial.
    Sue
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Te low risk group is 11<; intermediate group is 11><26. High risk is 26> to 100. As you know, I was 36/100 high risk and therefore, chemo followed by arimidex. Yet, my stage was IC and my tumor was 1.7, invasive ductal carcinoma with no node involvement, ER+/PR+, Her2neu. Go figure. I have quoted the Tailor Rx Trial. That's the clinical study I'm in. The rest of the story you know. I'm still hoping low risk for you. Marilynn
  • 3cbrca
    3cbrca Member Posts: 206
    Ohilly

Here is the URL that explains the test and the scores. The National Cancer Institute is sponsoring the clinical trial for this test. It is called the TailorRx trial and this site explains the scores.

http://www.cancer.gov/newscenter/pressreleases/TAILORxRelease

Sheilah
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Whenever I have to make one of these tough decisions, I think about how I will feel if the cancer reoccurs. Will I decide then that I had done what made sense and that I had fought the good fight? My cancers have not required chemo, but I've had a bunch of surgeries and some intense hormone treatments that have had their own lovely side effects. I researched what might happen and what the positive effects were too. Then I thought about how I would feel if the cancer came back. Then I was ready to say yes to treatment that made sense for me. Good luck! I'm sure you will make the right decision for you.