secondary bone cancer

Options
david200
david200 Member Posts: 3
edited June 2018 in Breast Cancer #1
can anyone tell me if bone marrow transplant is good for someone with metastases in bones from breast cancer?

Comments

24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I have only heard of hodgkins lymphoma or non hodgkins can't remember which now have transplants and I have heard of breast cancer but don't know if they have had reoccurrance or not at the time. I don't know much but this.
    Tara
  • mc2001
    mc2001 Member Posts: 343
    Options
    When I was in the leukemia ward, they had a woman with breast cancer who had a BMT. I am not sure why, however. This would be good to look into.
    -Michael
  • AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    David:

Although BMTs (bone marrow transplants) and SCTs (stem cell transplants) were widely deployed during late 80s and through much of the 90s, these therapies are rarely administered since then, in large part because, as Dr. Eric Winer, Director of the Breast Oncology Center out at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute has correctly pointed out, more recent clinical evidence shows that comparable or superior outcomes are attainable with less radical and less toxic optimal endocrine (hormonal) therapies, often coupled with metastasis-slowing bisphosphonate therapy, and even advanced options like special radiopharmaceutical therapy, for example, Strontium-89 (Mateastron) and Samarium-153 (Quadramet), and coadministration of a COX-2 inhibitor with bisphosphonate therapy.

(http://breastcancer.evidencewatch.com)
    edge@evidencewatch.com