11 anniversaries since diagnosis of stage 4 prostate cancer

acssjm
acssjm Member Posts: 5 Member
edited May 28 in Prostate Cancer #1

Diagnosed at 63, I did not have the confidence at that time to believe I would live another 10 years. Yet, I just completed another follow-up visit in the past two weeks. My semiannual routine includes a blood draw for PSA and metabolic panel, followed by a visit to my oncologist's office. Given the many years of hormone therapy, they added a DEXA scan to check my bones.

Overall, they are happy with the results. PSA remains undetectable (might not be the most sensitive assay. My lipid levels remain elevated, so lipid-lowering medication may be inevitable in the near future, but it's not the end of the world. I hope my experience can encourage my fellow warriors. Living with prostate cancer is entirely achievable.

I also learned that the website for clinical trial matching that my oncologist pointed me to previously (inforeach.org) has added search for treatments recommended by clinical guidelines. It's quite intriguing as you can check if your treatment is consistent with the standard of care. Sharing this information for anyone who may want to check it out.

Comments